RegisterDonateLogin

Not much bigger than a womprat.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

World Vassal Regional 2017 Pairings, Standings and Reporting Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:47:16 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't think it matters but standings have me as 2-1 but I am 1-2. The 5 points is correct.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:14:17 PM
Groups: Member

TJ and I are tentatively scheduled for Thurs night
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:58:45 PM

Got my game in with Shawn.

He won map, I deferred setup, he setup on the right.

Rd 1
I "intuitioned up Embo". He Serenity and started moving people up. late in the round, I used my R7 to open the top middle room door, and charged with Morrigan to kill an uggie. Then I charged up Embo, thinking I was going to pound on Ani only to smash on Shmi instead (Ani then got more cool stuff and Obi got Overwhelming which didn't come into play in our match).

Rd 2
I won init, "intuitioned" Embo adjacent to R2, shot R2 in the face and then ran as far into his starting area as I could. He moved Ani back and did 60 (with rage), and then Force Pushed Embo to death. Some more positioning, and I charged Morigan up to do 60 to Quigon, and failed to get any of Mira's shots through evade.

Rd 3
He wins init and pushes aves for 40. I then do some manuevering with morrigan to be able to shoot quiggy, and roll crit, hit to kill him which is the turning point of the game. He finishes off Aves, runs Ani 16 to strafe Morrigan and do 60 to her (with rage), and my wookied finishes off Young Obi.

Rd 4
He wins init, and there isn't a thing I can do to keep morrigan safe so I move the wookiee out of the way. Morrigan dies, the wookiee doesn't do much. Mas takes a hit from Talon and kill an uggie at the same time. Ani comes out and takes out the R7, and evades some shots from mira.

Rd 5
Shawn wins init and slides Ani over to get some no cover shots on Talon. Misses one so I take 30 (he used his last FP for rage). I do some more running around with Talon to get a shot on Mas and finish him off, and do 60 to tarful and smash in with the wookiee to kill the klat captain (end the rd at 199 pts so onto rd 6)

Rd 6.
Shawn wins init and does 30 to the wookiee. I use Mira to finish off Tarful and then run the Wookiee to smash the STAP to smithereens

Urban Jedi wins 3-1 (260-133)

Good, fun game which swung on that single crit on Quiggy. If he survives the turn, there is no guarantee that I kill quiggy that round, which leaves a lot of options open for stuff to happen.

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:33:55 PM

Played TJ tonight.

Jangalore/Ressurector/Shysa vs NR Resistance

We both had nightclub, I "won" map, so he picked right.

He set up his whole crew in the large, lower "club" area. I decided to set up directly across from him on the landing pad, and just go at it.

My theory was that I just had to throw as much damage into him as possible. He'd spread it around, so the main thing was just landing damage.

I won init and said he can go first, I resolnared into a decent bodyguard position, and told him he could go first. He had a trooper on point, and knew he'd die, so he doubled with him. Of course he rolls a 20 first, I bodyguard it with Fenn (and miss the beskargam save) and take 50. I shoot a twin back via Fenn's CE, and miss one so he lives. (Sigh). Then he hits again, this time I take it with the protector, and make the beskargam save and take 20, and kill the trooper on my attack back.

Then I announce I'll go with 3. I do a furious assault on his whole squad with Jango, making sure I get the loner bonus. I think I missed Rey, but hit the rest for 30 damage. Then Kelborn gets a narrow line to only see Han (missing Finn in front of him), takes his shots and gets really lucky and takes Han down to 30 and Chewie to 60. Then I go with Resurrector, and hit chewie for both, Han dies before he gets a turn. Chewie gets to barrage, but only can see a couple figs (the others were cloaked or out of sight. Resurrector takes it (Chewie's shot being unpreventable - I couldn't bodyguard or beskargam), the protector dies and he misses Jango.

Then on his turn he sets up to unload into me. Rolls BB-8 out (but not far enough to get sensors on my cloaked boys) and moves Rey up, and crits Jango (ugh).

I get LoS on Finn without seeing Rey (TJ later pointed out this was a placement error on his part), and blow him away with Fenn. Then I take a couple shots with my Tactician, but I miss and I'm out.

He Leia CEs Chewie up to take his shots on Jango, misses one, hits the other. The NUs take shots at Jango - but no dice.

Round 2

I win init, and declare I'm going with 3. I kill Chewie with Kelborn. Then furious assault everyone with Jango, killing the NUs, taking Leia down to 30hp, Rey and BB evade. Then I move up to kill Leia with Resurrector, and take another shot on BB (evaded).

He has 20hp BB-8 and 80hp Rey, vs full health Kelborn and Tactician, 30hp left Resurrector, 70hp left Jango, 40 HP left Fenn Shysa (and a useless R7). He concedes at this point.

3 point win for me, 0 for TJ

The game came down to really bad starting setup (this was TJs assessment afterward - not just me being a jerk) - not only having everyone right there to be shot up, but also who was positioned where (chewie should have been in a place to attack back), and also really good rolls on my part.

He rolled 2 crits, which really hurt - but otherwise missed a lot on Jango (which is to be expected). I on the other hand - even vs BB-8's defensive boost, rarely missed. A few missed shots by me could have swung the game in the opposite direction.

These two high damage output accurate furious assaulting/barraging squads against each other - whoever got a big kill first would have a big advantage, and then it want down like dominoes. Game was (or easily could have been) much closer than it seems.

Also - big shout out for TJ for being such a good sport about the game, but also allowed me time to take care of a personal matter mid-game - and pause it for a half an hour. Thanks TJ!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 3:48:51 AM

I couldn't overcome the dice. Fortunately, I also made all the mistakes this game. So Tim played the better game and the right person won. But even with no mistakes on my part, I wasn't going to overcome the dice. Well played, Tim.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 11:23:40 AM

I'm on my way to work so I don't have time for a full explanation, but after the game I realized I made it illegal play. I used Kelborn as if he had twin (I frequently play him with twin), but in this squad he does not have twin.

It resulted in me landing 20 additional points of damage on his character when I should not have ( I missed the other twin). It could well have been very significant in the outcome of the game.

I have contacted TJ and Shawn and told them what happened. TJ has been very gracious about it and will except whatever ruling Shawn makes, as will I.

I will let Shawn post his response here
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 5:28:37 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I'm on my way to work so I don't have time for a full explanation, but after the game I realized I made it illegal play. I used Kelborn as if he had twin (I frequently play him with twin), but in this squad he does not have twin.

It resulted in me landing 20 additional points of damage on his character when I should not have ( I missed the other twin). It could well have been very significant in the outcome of the game.

I have contacted TJ and Shawn and told them what happened. TJ has been very gracious about it and will except whatever ruling Shawn makes, as will I.

I will let Shawn post his response here

Ok, so this situation brings up one of those "special circumstances".

Clearly the error was unintentional and the chances of it being noticed by someone increases exponentially at a live event, to which the error could and would have been corrected. I would hate the idea of forfeiture due a completely honest mistake.

So my official type ruling is this...

Since there is still time left in the round, the game will be replayed in its entirety. This is due to the fact that unless they saved their game and can backtrack to the exact point in which the infraction occurred, there is no way to restart at that point. Since we are in the last round of Swiss, if they need more time, 2 Days Max, that will also be granted.

If in the event that the game can't be rescheduled, Tim has said that he will forfeit the game to Flying Arrow. Lets not let it get to that though, gentlemen.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:13:16 AM

Tenitively scheduled for Monday
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:41:53 AM

Played Laura last night. Fun game. Laura won Map which was Nightclub. I took left. 1st round is positioning. I think Laura pushed Cin? I'm not sure. 2nd round Laura put her Vader on my Vader and was trying to push Cin around. I decided she was controlling positioning too much so I levitated her Vader next to Cin, and I brutal/double for 40. And then I matched my Vader up on Desann. Cin ultimately ended up taking down Vader before the Laura's 2 dudes Force pushed him to death. My Vader drops Desann. Its the last round, so I run Vader away to pull her two non uniques away and waste a round. Vader has 30 hp, and while I could have just sat still, I didn't want to win like that, so I levitated Vader on Gambit and allowed Hethir to try and take Vader down. Hethir moves up lands his 1 atk for 30, but I makashi. And that's game. 2pt win for me. Had we played to the bitter end, Laura may have won. Hard to say. I was on fire with my Makashi rolls. And had 6fps with Father, and I won every unit I believe. I could have easily played keep away for another round or 2 with Vader.

Anyway, I got the W and 2pts. I forget what the Victory Points were in the match. I had 150 something? 160 something? Not sure? Laura had 70 something if memory serves me correctly.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:10:22 AM

Spry and I are scheduled to play Wednesday night
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:53:46 AM

Tentatively scheduled for tonight now
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:26:58 PM

FlyingArrow over TimmerB123
210-93

It was a complete reversal of dice fortunes compared to the first matchup. Actually, that's an understatement. In losing the first matchup, I got the bad end of a few crucial rolls (a couple inits and most importantly the shots that killed Han before he got a turn). In this game, Tim got the bad end of basically the whole game. Finn with a crucial Avoid Defeat. BB-8 with Rolling Evade all game. Plus losing the crucial init (despite tactician).

My big risky move was running BB-8 up the vertical street at the top of round 2 to lock a door so that he couldn't rush my squad with 3 straight activations. I knew after he'd open the door that he couldn't kill BB-8 with just one activation, but he did take him down to 10hp with Kelborn. Then I used Leia to drop Finn next to Resurrector and hit for 100dmg (minus Besgar'gam saves). Then I got crazy lucky... Finn and BB-8 both survived 3 of Tim's turns. Finn took 80 from Fenn but made an Avoid Defeat save. Then Jango did a Furious Assault, missing Finn while BB-8 evaded. Then MtR moved to shoot at BB-8, and BB-8 evaded again. Han and Chewie came up to bodyguard Finn and then it was just a shootout with Chewie's Barrages doing the heavy lifting. Finn was still up front. Chewie took 60 of Finn's dmg to activate Never Upset a Wookiee.

Top of the next round was the huge init. I won, and Chewie finished off MtR. Without Twin on the bodyguards or Advantageous for Jango, it was a lot rougher for the Mandos.

Too little too late, but Han rolled a 1 when he could have finished off Kelborn with a 3. So Kelborn lived another round and managed to kill Han.

On the last turn, he had Jango at 30 or 40hp and the R7. I had Chewie (+16 Attack), Leia, Rey, and the officer. Chewie shot while the other 3 combined fire to get through Jango's 31 defense in cover. (With combining fire it got up to a +28 attack.) Jango went down in 3 shots over the course of the game, all from Chewie (but I also missed Jango a decent amount). Chewie rolled a 15 on one Barrage to just barely hit. Then on another Barrage Jango didn't have any of his defense boosts (just cover) and so Chewie only needed a 7 to hit. Then at the end of the game, everyone combined fire to get through the 31 defense.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:17:33 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
In this game, Tim got the bad end of basically the whole game. Finn with a crucial Avoid Defeat. BB-8 with Rolling Evade all game. Plus losing the crucial init (despite tactician).

Actually there was 2 crucial inits. Had I won the first of the major inits (where BB-8 locked the door), it would have all been moot because I would have launched a massive volley of most of my firepower (I got 3 activations with the Tactician having LoS) and then moved safely into a second room (it's nice having a highly mobile squad.) Then the second major init when we were fully engaged was where massive damage started piling up on me and far less on TJ due to him making (literally) every save that round. All told Finn got the game changing avoid defeat (boy do I love that ability) which set off a domino effect of me not being able to base BB-8, allowing him his evades, of which he literally made every single one (I believe it was 6 total, only needing one to hit, as I hit him for 40 adjacent earlier), which allowed him to have higher defense with his squad, forcing several misses on my end, as well as keeping sensors, which allowed him to ultimately kill Kelborn and my Tactician, as well as not allowing me to lock a door. I lost every init except the first one (when it didn't matter) and the last one (when I'd basically already lost the game, and again - it didn't matter). When it rained, it poured. LOL

Congrats to TJ. He made a ballsy move and with the force on his side it was successful.

It was fun playing the game again. In the first game I made the "gutsy" move of lining up directly across from him and it was literally just attacking like crazy directly across from each other. Luck favored me that time. In this game TJ got to choose side again, but deferred - and I set up in the rooms, making it feel like a totally different game. He made the "gutsy" move in this game - and luck was on his side.

I guess fortune favors the bold.

Congrats also to TJ for being the designer brainchild for the core mechanics for 3/4 squads in the finals of this tournament, that all came out in the latest set!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:42:21 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Actually there was 2 crucial inits. Had I won the first of the major inits (where BB-8 locked the door), it would have all been moot because I would have launched a massive volley of most of my firepower (I got 3 activations with the Tactician having LoS) and then moved safely into a second room (it's nice having a highly mobile squad.)

Having seen what you did to me in the first game, I knew those 3 activations would be devastating (even without Twin from Kelborn!). Locking the door seemed like it didn't have much chance of success, but it seemed better than letting you hit me with 3 attackers at once. And, really, there wasn't much chance of me avoiding defeat and rolling all those evades. So I was kind of right that it didn't have much chance of success... but that small chance paid off. Woohoo!
One of the biggest things that surviving that phase gave me was getting Chewie up adjacent to Finn so that he got a barrage both when Finn and when BB-8 died. If you killed them when probability says you should have, Chewie was out of position and would have just shot a wall.

Good game - well played.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:27:44 AM

For sure.

That domino effect was mind-boggling
DarthRattlehead
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:43:21 PM

Love reading the accounts of the games guys! Keep it up!
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:01:51 PM

Spryguy1981 (3) defeats DarkDracul (1) 231-191 on Theed

Round 1 all positioning with a Lah Warrior taking gambit.

Round 2 BB-8 rolls in for the Sensors to take away Cloaked and Poe steps out and gets 4 PV Scouts with his rail gun. I take out BB-8 and put 60 on Poe, 60 on Finn. Another warrior in Gambit

Round 3 He wins init and Poe shoots a Lah and runs away. I take out Finn, Rey and Chewie take out a Lah with "Death Shots." I drop Rey to 20 and the Trooper to 20 No Gambit

Round 4 I take out Rey, Chewie kills a Lah on the RB. Han and Chewie together kill a Lah, I take out the trooper, Base Chewie with Aggressive Negotiations. Leia slingshots Poe who shoots at Quorreal and misses. He runs back inside and I position a scout to take out Poe on a won init.

Round 5 I win init and kill Poe, AN takes away Chewie's RB. Chewie and Han each kill a scout. The AN guys bases Chewie again and I take out Han removing the RB again. Da'gara takes gambit

Round 6 Leia slingshots Chewie who takes out Da'Gara, I drop Leia to 70 , and base Chewie with scrubs, drop Chewie to 60. Quorreal enters gambit

Round 7 Chewie takes AoO's and bases Quorreal and hits him for 40. I move Leia to 30 Damage, Quorreal puts 10 on Chewie, Quorreal and Chewie in gambit

Round 8 Chewie kills Quorreal, I kill Leia, enter gambit with the Subcommander and Chewie sits at 30HP with Blast Bugs from earlier rounds and I go over 200.

DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:04:40 PM

Spry played a great game and won like every dang ini roll! I didn't see the AN guy running to base Chewie and made a bad sacrifice with Poe. I also rolled several 1s slowing the thinning of the herd. It was an uphill battle for Resistance against all the Blast Buggery. Well played Spry.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 6:39:56 AM

Semi-Final Matches are up
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 8:16:50 AM

good luck to those in the T4