RegisterDonateLogin

Can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

how would everyone feel if you know your friend was "stealing" minis ?! Options
DarthLegend
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:37:06 AM
Groups: Member

so one of my " buddies " went to a local store to buy a booster of J.A . there was only 2 left, so he bought 1 and ended up pulling a piece he already had 1 of. he then made his significant other go back into the store and say there was only 6 pieces in the box. while he waited outside.( yes he ended up keeping the rare ! ) the store returned it no problem and gave the other booster. so laughing and giggling as if he was Salacious B. Crumb, he opened the other booster and ended up pulling a piece he already had 3 of !!..i like to think the MINI GODS to believe in KARMA. anyway just wondering what anyone thinks and what if any should be some consequences for this wretched hive of scum and villany to playing.
Hydrowhip
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:42:17 AM

That's not cool. LGS need every penny they can make in this economy to stay alive vs. the big box stores.

Even if it was a big box store, its going to come back on him someway. I think Karma will catch him, he'll probably roll 1's on all rolls when playing that rare he stole.
slvader77
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:43:01 AM

The fact that people even steal swm is pathetic really
Just like when people scam someone on a trade. Its not like we are dealing with gold here. Anyone who has to resort to this kinda behavior should get their priorities straight
DarthLegend
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:45:38 AM

its funny because we said that he would roll all 1's when he told us that lol..and he hasn't even brought the piece out yet in a battle because of that reason.
DarthLegend
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:47:20 AM

and he has been know to try to "alter the deal " from time to time with trades too !!
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:13:51 AM

It's pretty easy for me. I would do one of two things. First, tell the friend to return the booster and deal with the consequences, and also inform the local store owner of exactly what he/she did. I would let the Local store owner decide if calling the police was appropriate or not, but I would let them know I am willing to make a statement if they decided to do so.

dnemiller
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:24:11 AM

Sadly if for some other reason the store owner found out what happened and decided to press charges to you want to know what could happen to you???

You could be charged as an accessory to the crime after the fact. Meaning you know a crime occurred but by not saying anything have allowed the crime to go unsolved.

In some states the penalty for this is simple. Like say Texas. In Texas it would be you are charged with the same theft he is. You suffer the same penalty for your knowledge.

This is actually 2 charges by the way.

Theft and Fraud. Because he did not merely steal the Rare. He went further in his intent by defrauding the owner of the store.
dalibins
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:38:59 AM

Pretty crappy friend you got there...I hope I'm never put into a similar situation. I'd be forced to react in the same manner billi stated.
Eroschilles
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:20:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think the most important thing to take away from this is that that is not the kind of person you want to associate yourself with. If this person has a conscious, then you could tactfully bring that to their attention and tell them that they should rectify the situation with the owner of the shop. If they seem to have no inclination to making amends, then you might to resolve it for yourself.

I would take a different approach than billiv would though. I would tell the owner discretely about the deception without actually telling them who it was unless they pressed, and pay the owner for the price of the booster. Then tell your "friend" how you handled it and see what he does then. Most people would feel twice as guilty and fess up to the store. If he doesn't, you made amends on your own accord without violating any vows of friendship and found out one less person you should hang out with.
defender390
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:07:02 AM

On an only slightly related note, I think Target used to actually let people open the boosters before they bought them. Either they had no idea what the people were doing, or they just did not care. Now they have those stickers that tell you not to open them, though.

I think I would pressure my friend into fessing up until he did it himself. Until they face it themselves, they learn nothing. And if they do not learn, I will no longer associate with them.
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:12:38 AM

The store owner needs to told, so at the very least the perp can be banned from the store.

swsf17
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:31:41 AM

TELL THE STORE OWNER!!!!!!! Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

Thats just what I think.ThumbsUp
Doogle126
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:34:58 AM

swsf17 is right, and so is billv, tell the store owner
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:39:37 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Tell the store owner. Stealing is stealing, and the owner deserves the right to know. If you don't, and this becomes a habit among the original thief and catches on with other players, the owner will have serious problems, and that can only mean bad things for your playgroup. Having had some players banned in my group, it did temporarily hurt our numbers, but I think the play nights got better because of it.
swsf17
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:34:05 AM

Just to add to my previous post, I would not leave my miis lying around when that guy is there. If he is steling from the store chances are he's stealing from you.Sad
headache62
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:39:04 PM

Ditto Billiv and dnmiller - and I'm from Texas.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:48:12 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

Not a guy I would be hanging out with or calling a friend.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:51:04 PM

ChuckaFett wrote:
Not a guy I would be hanging out with or calling a friend.

ill second that.
and ill even go so far as to say that you are condemning yourself by even being associated with the likes of him and posting this.
i cant even understand why you are blogging about this. if this guy is your "Friend", you wouldnt be putting him on blast. so this confuses me. chances are, if he is your "friend", you were aware that he was capable of this behavior, therefore making you just as culpable. if this is a store you go to on a regular basis, im sure you could have found a way to dissuade him from stealing the rare.
I have no patience for thieves. especially if it tampers with the sales of minis.
wizards has tried numerous times to make their boxes more secure from "Box Breakers", and no matter what, they find a new way to get in them undetected.
i cant tell you how many times ive gone into target and seen 3-4 boosters tore open, with nothing in them.
for regular game stores, the owners get the boosters at a discounted price, but a few cases get expensive.
if i found out who was doing it my area, Id break their fingers, personally.
(And Believe me, Id get extreme pleasure out of itBigGrin )

Zalkrie
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:23:41 PM

You have to support your lgs.....bottom line. If you lose that, your mini playing gets reduced a lot. Local game stores are having a hard enough time staying afloat as it is. The internet makes it hard for them to make a lot of money, and guys like this make it worse. Lose the friend and tell the store owner what happened!!
klecser
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:54:01 PM

I'm curious as to why my post in this thread was deleted. Not so much because I want it there, but moreso because I want to know how I violated forum rules...