RegisterDonateLogin

We would be honored, if you would join us for a glass of Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

how would everyone feel if you know your friend was "stealing" minis ?! Options
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:31:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

billiv15 wrote:
It's pretty easy for me. I would do one of two things. First, tell the friend to return the booster and deal with the consequences, and also inform the local store owner of exactly what he/she did. I would let the Local store owner decide if calling the police was appropriate or not, but I would let them know I am willing to make a statement if they decided to do so.

Best advice so far (above)...but give the kid a chance. How old is this kid? Perhaps he just needs a chance to redeem himself and he'll take it. If he runs from it, then by all means follow thru with what Bill has suggested. A crime is a crime. If you tolerate one today, what will you tolerate tomorrow?
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:08:37 AM
Groups: Member

Bottom line: The LGS Owner needs to know.

So I would go to your friend and tell him that you think what he did was wrong, and that if he doesn't confess to the store owner, that you're going to. Tell him that you want to give him a chance to do the right thing himself, but if he decides not to, that you're not going to keep his secret.

If doing that ruins your friendship, well then no big loss, IMO.

And I agree with the others. Keep an eye on your collection when he's around. If he'll steal from the store, he might steal from others too.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:48:10 AM

klecser wrote:
I'm curious as to why my post in this thread was deleted. Not so much because I want it there, but moreso because I want to know how I violated forum rules...

what did you say? in short hand.....
klecser
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:33:14 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
klecser wrote:
I'm curious as to why my post in this thread was deleted. Not so much because I want it there, but moreso because I want to know how I violated forum rules...

what did you say? in short hand.....

Oh, basically what Bill and Dean and others have said. I just added that shoplifting hurts small businesses hardest of all and that if you want to have an LGS the last thing you should do is steal from them. So, not sure if that statement violates the CoC on this board in some way or if the deletion was politically motivated.

ON topic: Yeah, stealing is bad and friends that steal aren't worth having.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:37:09 PM

Hmmm.
did your post actually post after you wrote it?
cuz i cant see why it would be deleted either.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:45:02 PM

I think Bill's solution is appropriate. I think Eroschilles solution is totally stand up. By doing that, actually paying for the booster and telling the owner what happened and then telling the 'friend', you've basically told the owner you respect him and what he's trying to provide, and you've shown up the 'friend' for the lowly thief that he is. I would go a bit further...tell the owner who did it, and tell the whole game group how you resolved it. By not expecting the money back, your actions speak volumes. I would expect the 'friend' will never do that again, if he even has the guts to show up there anymore.

I know Eroschilles and others at his venue have this kind of respect for their LGS owner. I've seen it.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:51:59 PM

and if he did it again, then said "friend" should not be your friend anymore.
i still cant get over how is Old Lady went and returned it for him.......what a Punk.
mrroboto1968
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:37:38 PM

your story shows us just how sad and pathetic some people will be.
if he was my "buddie" i dont think i could trust him much anymore.
i mean if he is this sneaky and underhanded to steal minis from a store imagine what he would steal from his "friends" when they had there backs turned.
and then to show even further how much of a loser he is he makes his significant other participate in his dirty work?
tell your friend that if i owned a store and he pulled that crap on me he would not want to run into me in a dark alley.
your friend is a punk and if i were you i would not have anything to do with him anymore.
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:38:27 PM

billiv15 wrote:
It's pretty easy for me. I would do one of two things. First, tell the friend to return the booster and deal with the consequences, and also inform the local store owner of exactly what he/she did. I would let the Local store owner decide if calling the police was appropriate or not, but I would let them know I am willing to make a statement if they decided to do so.

Call the police? Wow what a way to blow things out of proportions. He took a 18 dollar pack, seriously who cares.I can't believe this is a topic, your friends a stealing bum so i would watch my pieces while playing with him, but all of the actions people said are not needed . Call the police, tell the store. The store has bigger problems then a 18 dollar pack now a days. Im not saying what he did was right or good, im just saying that its a pack. its a cheap 18 dollar pack thats really not worth all this time and thoughg being put on this form and what you should do.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:45:02 PM

Robin wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Call the police? Wow what a way to blow things out of proportions. He took a 18 dollar pack, seriously who cares. I can't believe this is a topic, your friends a stealing bumb so i would watch my pieces while playing with him, but all of the actions people said are just plain stupid. Call the police, tell the store. The store has bigger problems then a 18 dollar pack now a days.

OMG are you serious???? When I was in law enforcment I used to give seminars to retailers about theft. Dou you have any clue who pays for theft in retail???? Do you think it is the retailer??? Do you think it is the manufacturer????? IT IS YOU!!!!! It factored in the cost....

By the way little LGS dont have bigger problems then turds stealing from them. These guys are trying to feed their families on the sales they make. Obviously you are not old enough to have to be responsible for yourself or anyone else. Otherwise you would not be so flippant about a crime.

I guess if someone steals something from you the response would be just as care free??? Somehow I doubt it
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:46:10 PM

Wow all of you guys want this kid just to be a rat Its his friend don't rat. If you don't like what he is doing then don't be his freind or tell him to stop DON'T GET POLICE INVOLVED THIS IS YOUR FRIEND WOULD HE DO THAT TO YOU !
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:52:14 PM

What if you're just being all hypothetical and you're the one who stole the minis...LOL
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:55:50 PM

saeseetiin wrote:
Wow all of you guys want this kid just to be a rat Its his friend don't rat. If you don't like what he is doing then don't be his freind or tell him to stop DON'T GET POLICE INVOLVED THIS IS YOUR FRIEND WOULD HE DO THAT TO YOU !

Except that is against the law. You are telling this guy to break the law himself. My friends don't steal, and if they did, I sure as hell would turn them in, and I would confront him/her on it, as I said earlier.

We are not in the mafia, being a "rat" does not apply. Its quite simply called, "doing the right thing". His friend didn't do it, and now brought him into it by bragging about it. He has an obligation to society, to the law, and to his friend to act. I can understand the desire to not want to turn in a friend, and all of that, but honestly, it isn't his fault. Sometimes you are put into stupid situations by "friends". That doesn't mean you have to give up your own integrity to "not be a rat".

I liked the solution of paying for the booster himself, that's not a bad way to go either. But doing nothing, does a whole lot more evil in the long run.

The kid will do it again because he got away with it. He probably has done something like this before as well. You do no one any good pretending it didn't happen.

And further, a pack of minis does matter. It matters in many ways. If the question were, "my friend stole some bread to feed his starving children because he was out of work for 18 months and living on the streets" then we have a debate. This is petty theft. Look it up in a law book if you don't think it "matters".
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:59:44 PM

dnemiller wrote:
Robin wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Call the police? Wow what a way to blow things out of proportions. He took a 18 dollar pack, seriously who gives a flying shit. I can't believe this is a topic, your friends a stealing bumb so i would watch my pieces while playing with him, but all of the actions people said are just plain stupid. Call the police, tell the store. The store has bigger problems then a 18 dollar pack now a days.

OMG are you serious???? When I was in law enforcment I used to give seminars to retailers about theft. Dou you have any clue who pays for theft in retail???? Do you think it is the retailer??? Do you think it is the manufacturer????? IT IS YOU!!!!! It factored in the cost....

By the way little LGS dont have bigger problems then turds stealing from them. These guys are trying to feed their families on the sales they make. Obviously you are not old enough to have to be responsible for yourself or anyone else. Otherwise you would not be so flippant about a crime.

I guess if someone steals something from you the response would be just as care free??? Somehow I doubt it

Just so you know big guy im plenty responsible im going to collage and have my own job so i can go to collage. So i whould know someone before i start to call people irrespossible. So your telling me that 18 dollars is a stores biggest problem? i would check that again copper, because if there worring about losing 18 dollars they have bigger problem, like i don't know how about not having any bussiness. The person that pays for theft is the retailer not the person unless they get cought? I would of gessed a cop would know this, oh well.
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:02:11 PM

billiv15 wrote:
saeseetiin wrote:

Except that is against the law. You are telling this guy to break the law himself. My friends don't steal, and if they did, I sure as hell would turn them in, and I would confront him/her on it, as I said earlier.

We are not in the mafia, being a "rat" does not apply. Its quite simply called, "doing the right thing". His friend didn't do it, and now brought him into it by bragging about it. He has an obligation to society, to the law, and to his friend to act. I can understand the desire to not want to turn in a friend, and all of that, but honestly, it isn't his fault. Sometimes you are put into stupid situations by "friends". That doesn't mean you have to give up your own integrity to "not be a rat".

I liked the solution of paying for the booster himself, that's not a bad way to go either. But doing nothing, does a whole lot more evil in the long run.

The kid will do it again because he got away with it. He probably has done something like this before as well. You do no one any good pretending it didn't happen.

Thats how i can tell that you have no life besides this game. Bill you win star wars like every year, i think its time you go made some freinds also with this kid.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:03:45 PM

Robin wrote:
The person that pays for theft is the retailer not the person unless they get cought? I would of gessed a cop would know this, oh well.

Incorrect. You clearly know nothing of retail sales. Retail prices take into account theft. The price is inflated to account for it. You, I and every other honest person who doesn't steal pays extra so that others can steal.

Got anything else?
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:04:44 PM

billiv15 wrote:
saeseetiin wrote:

Sorry bill I can't agree with you if he likes his friend at all he would not turn him in for something worth about 7 bucks to the store owner and don't worry about your part in this BIG CRIME I don't think you will get in trouble.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:10:38 PM

saeseetiin wrote:

Sorry bill I can't agree with you if he likes his friend at all he would not turn him in for something worth about 7 bucks to the store owner and don't worry about your part in this BIG CRIME I don't think you will get in trouble.

The problem though is that if it is not curtailed now, it will result in something worse in the future.

If he's so afraid about "being a rat" he can just do it without giving names by simply telling the store owner about how some kids were bragging about scamming the store out of free minis by pretending that there wasn't a rare in the pack. That way at least, the store owner will keep an eye out for that scam in the future.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:13:30 PM

saeseetiin wrote:

No problem. He asked for advice, doesn't hurt for him to hear all the issues :)

With that said, my response is simple. $7 isn't all that's at stake. And he very well could get into major trouble. The amount of money in this one case isn't the issue. I once met a guy who spent 6 months in jail for stealing $2.50. But even still, there's more to it than that.

You bring up a good point about caring about the friend. That's why I suggested talking to the friend first if he was comfortable doing that. But seriously, ask yourself this question. What kind of friend puts you in the position that you have to maintain a lie for a crime he commited? It isn't the OP's fault.

But since I have no life and Robin the big bad college student has really put me in my place, I suppose I shouldn't offer advice any longer to someone who asks for it. I mean come on, who am I to suggest he do the right thing....
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:14:08 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
saeseetiin wrote:

The problem though is that if it is not curtailed now, it will result in something worse in the future.

If he's so afraid about "being a rat" he can just do it without giving names by simply telling the store owner about how some kids were bragging about scamming the store out of free minis by pretending that there wasn't a rare in the pack. That way at least, the store owner will keep an eye out for that scam in the future.

Wouldn't that give him up saying all of that I think if he likes the store owner as a freind then tell him something but not that you guys are crazy.