RegisterDonateLogin

Won't try to frighten you with its sorcerer's ways.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

how would everyone feel if you know your friend was "stealing" minis ?! Options
Zalkrie
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:12:43 AM
Groups: Member

dnemiller wrote:

But after reading this thread and the other thread about the dad who took his son's minis. That was just as sad. There were some of the posters there endorsing violence against the dad.

It is a real shame to see that some the posters think that stealing is ok and violence against their parents. Wow!! Just sad.

And it is the same couple of people from both threads.......The young people today don't realize what they are saying, or understand the older generations point of view until something happens to them.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:29:23 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

saeseetiin wrote:
I never said stealing is right but its not like he took all the money from the register what kind of freind gets his friend in trouble to teach him a lesson its was 1 booster get over it and I said if he is freindly with the owner he should tell him to keep an eye out or something not go and tell him who and what happened

A true friend. And what is the difference between stealing cash and product? Nothing. Besides, if you can't trust him around your minis anymore, is he really a friend?

I work with a LOT of teenagers at my job. A lot of the opinions expressed do not really surprise me. I do think the violence against the dad was more joking, the sentiment that a the dad has not logical reason or that stealing "just a booster" does seem to fit in with the very selfish center a lot of kids seem to have.
klecser
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:35:39 AM

Well the people that DID try to steal from us at Gen Con were Magic players. ;P

That said, we always have to keep in mind that a lot of the people that participate in the community are kids, or very young adults. It certainly doesn't excuse bad choices. But it explains some of them. I hate to be ageist here, but its true.

@Sithborg: Yeah, they don't really surprise me either.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:12:48 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

klecser wrote:
Well the people that DID try to steal from us at Gen Con were Magic players. ;P

That said, we always have to keep in mind that a lot of the people that participate in the community are kids, or very young adults. It certainly doesn't excuse bad choices. But it explains some of them. I hate to be ageist here, but its true.

@Sithborg: Yeah, they don't really surprise me either.

As long as you are being ageist and and not sounding like an old biddy saying things like "The kids these days have no respect for..."

I think young people from every generation deal with morally grey concepts (not that all children are theives), and how they are guided by their peers, parents, and community results in upstanding citizens (hopefully). At least statistics say juvenile crime is down compared to a decade or two ago.

But I'm a little curious as to how the OP resolved this issue.
klecser
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:52:20 AM

Eroschilles wrote:

I think young people from every generation deal with morally grey concepts (not that all children are theives), and how they are guided by their peers, parents, and community results in upstanding citizens (hopefully). At least statistics say juvenile crime is down compared to a decade or two ago.

I agree. As an educator , I haven't seen anything that has suggested to me that kids are "worse" nowadays then they have been in the past. Someone claiming that that is true doesn't make it actually true. Teenagers and young adults have always made poor choices and have always had tough times. The good news is that the OP sought advice and now has an opportunity to make the right choice here. :D
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:16:55 AM

klecser wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

I agree. As an educator , I haven't seen anything that has suggested to me that kids are "worse" nowadays then they have been in the past. Someone claiming that that is true doesn't make it actually true. Teenagers and young adults have always made poor choices and have always had tough times. The good news is that the OP sought advice and now has an opportunity to make the right choice here. :D

As do I. Sometimes the "tough choices" vary from Generation to Generation, but rarely does the reality change a whole lot. It's just that some adults forget they were once kids, and most kids don't yet realize that adults were once just like them :)
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:41:54 AM

billiv15 wrote:
klecser wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

As do I. Sometimes the "tough choices" vary from Generation to Generation, but rarely does the reality change a whole lot. It's just that some adults forget they were once kids, and most kids don't yet realize that adults were once just like them :)

Speaking as the father of a boy in 6th-grade, this is so true.
I'm fortunate that my son is honest when it comes to respecting other peoples property. I've watched him wrestle with the issue of "ratting" on schoolmates when situations happen that shouldn't be ignored. These aren't easy decisions for young people, no matter how clear-cut they might seem to older generations.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:11:22 AM

one thing to take into account:
Kids today are alot more Violent.
most kids dont want to "Rat" or "snitch" someone out in fear of getting their butts kicked by the kids that do the dirty deed. this is understandable.
this day in age, you cant hold someone accountable for their actions (stealing) without a witness. the witness doesnt want to put himself out there in fear of what i just wrote above.
As a father, i encourage my kids to mind theyre business to a certain degree. if they see something that had to do with stealing, i would want my child to tell me before he went somewhere else. the reason for this is if my son was to go to his teacher on account of some clown stealing from another student, the teacher would need my son to be the witness, to ensure that the clown is punished.
that same clown after school, gets some of his buddies, then targets my son.
if my kid gets his butt kicked for doing the right thing, it becomes a double standard in sense.
i want my son to tell me, so i can talk to the teacher, then if necessary, talk to the clowns parents.
i guess my point is, its really hard to do the right thing in a situation where a kid has to point the finger, because the H3LL they will catch will make the finger pointing not worth it.
and i only say this because theyre are alot of parents out there who dont care what theyre children do. and its a shame.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:26:25 AM

I disagree about kids being more violent than they have been in the past. Kids have beat up other kids for generations for "tattling" or "snitching" on them. If the worst the kid gets is a beating for doing the right thing, then I say that's a victory in the long run.

What has changed over many generations is the ease to which kids can get ahold of weapons. I have been familar with cases of kids getting shot because they told on their classmate for taking a pencil. In elementary school. That's not saying kids are more violent than before, but that they can act out to greater degree some of these violent urges via weapons. But, in fact, in recent years, juvenile violence and crime has gone down.

Just because there is the threat of violence doesn't mean we can shirk our moral responsibilities. People should do the right thing regardless of the consequneces, and we, as adults, should protect kids from harm when they do the right thing. IMHO.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:40:00 AM

its not a matter of "shirking" our responsibilities. you misunderstood me.
children are more apt to violence in 2009 then they were in 1989.
you said it best too, a kid getting shot over a pencil. i dont want my kid getting shot over a pencil. i would rather he be responsible by telling me, so therefore i can handle it for him.
Today, people are having kids for government support ONLY, I.E, WIC, Foodstamps and free health care. and when people have children for the wrong reasons, they tend to not care what theyre children do. its a fact.
i grew up in the system where people were Fostering Kids, so they could get a tax break and 400$ a month for each child they took in. i witnessed it first hand because i am adopted. out of 13 foster homes, 12 of them couldnt give a Rats Arse about me or my brother.
now, neighborhoods play a significant role in all of this too.
Sorry Ero, but you are looking at this with the wrong pair of eyes.
its not worth my child getting jumped after school for doing the right thing.
its worth it for me to handle it for him, so he doesnt get jumped, or even shot.
i can deal with me taking the reigns for my son, because he was responsible enough to let me handle it.
my son would be doing the right thing still, but in this day of age, we cannot allow our kids to take on a responsibility that would possible get them killed. ill handle his business, because i love my kid.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:53:11 AM

Mandalore, I respect your decision to have your offspring come to you for guidance on tough choices, but letting the youth handle the problem themselves is an important part of growing up, in my opinion. Having an intemediary do the hard work for them takes away that valuable life lesson. But that's just how I feel about that.

I don't think children are more apt to violence in 2009 than in 1989. I think we, as a culture and society, recognize children's violent streaks better than we did 20 years ago. I can vividly recall bloody gang warfare occuring in middle and high schools. Those were children killing children over what friends they had or gang they belonged to.
mybackpacksgotjets
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:04:02 AM

probably the most messed up thing you can do in minis besides stealing from a friend how this kids allowed to still buy minis and or play with his "friends" is beyond me for realz such a disgrace to minis star wars and friends in general cheating to win never works but i guess so long as he gets away with it and still continues to be able to play he will never learn a lesson a shame isn't it ?
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:06:14 AM

i agree with you whole heartedly.
but today is alot different then when we were growing up.
ill give you an example of what i mean.
i live in Nashville, it has the 4 highest crime rating in the U.S.
children are shooting adults just to be Cryp gang members. this happens everyday here.
there are certain situations, determined by location, that the parent has to be the shield of the child. Mind you, not all situations that regard responsible behavior should be shielded by the parent, because you are right, it prevents moral growth.
i for one am not the type to shelter my child. he has to become his own man one day, and i would hope that he becomes a good one.
but when it boils down to physical harm, a line has to be drawn to protect the child.
in that kids heart, he knows that hes done the right thing by blowing the whistle, but the only difference is that he blew the whistle to me.
now if i lived in the Burbs, where most of the time the crime rate is almost non existant, i would let my son be the regulator of truth all day.
but in certain situations, he has to learn how to handle the same situation differently. mind you, circumstances play a significant role in all of this.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:18:10 AM

I agree circumstances play a significant role on how moral dilemmas are handled. But, in SWM, I think the demographics shy away from gang members and more to regular, if not more nerdy, kids. So, one kid getting physically hurt over telling the LGS owner about SWM theft is fairly unlikely to occur in my opinion. In this given situation, the kid should be able to handle it on his own.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:21:58 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
I agree circumstances play a significant role on how moral dilemmas are handled. But, in SWM, I think the demographics shy away from gang members and more to regular, if not more nerdy, kids. So, one kid getting physically hurt over telling the LGS owner about SWM theft is fairly unlikely to occur in my opinion. In this given situation, the kid should be able to handle it on his own.

LMAOLOL
i almost forgot why we were eve having this discussion!
yea, as far as the world of minis goes, its pretty safe to be a whistle blower.
my ranting was meant more for the whole idea of stealing and circumstances in general.
klecser
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:40:30 AM

Mandalore is correct in that certain circumstances, it can be dangerous to do the right thing. This is why anonymous "Crime stoppers" hotlines exist. Omaha is't anywhere near as urban as Nashville, but I still get what he is saying. But Ero is also correct in that when we're talking about GAMES, there probably isn't a violent consequence for doing the right thing. Plus, people have proposed ways that this could be handled without confronting the friend, ero's suggesting of paying for it and then letting the friend's "rep" be tarnished was a good one.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:45:14 AM

klecser wrote:
Mandalore is correct in that certain circumstances, it can be dangerous to do the right thing. This is why anonymous "Crime stoppers" hotlines exist. Omaha is't anywhere near as urban as Nashville, but I still get what he is saying. But Ero is also correct in that when we're talking about GAMES, there probably isn't a violent consequence for doing the right thing. Plus, people have proposed ways that this could be handled without confronting the friend, ero's suggesting of paying for it and then letting the friend's "rep" be tarnished was a good one.

absolutely. i believe smearing that creep would be very affective, and doing that to others would probably reduce the theft rate in the world of minis.
i cant see violence breaking out over someone stealing thrawn either.
DarthReeves
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:42:34 AM

Every time you steal a mini, God kills an Yslmari...
DarthLegend
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:56:23 AM

total agree with mybackpacksgotjets (he's boba the fett ! ) and the biggest thing..he cheats to win..and hasn't won yet !!!!!!!
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:30:56 PM

DarthLegend wrote:
total agree with mybackpacksgotjets (he's boba the fett ! ) and the biggest thing..he cheats to win..and hasn't won yet !!!!!!!

what does he do to cheat?
just curious....