RegisterDonateLogin

How wude!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galactic Escalation: Round 1 Options
Mando
Posted: Saturday, November 5, 2022 6:42:11 PM
Groups: Member

Rules: Each participant makes a initial 100pt team following normal squad building rules. Round 1 will consist of matchups between all participants in either round robin or Swiss tournament format depending on number of players. The 100pt team used will be built upon in subsequent rounds.

Maps: current restricted list (http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32041)

Banned list: Jabbba Desilijic Tiure (per current balance committee discussion)

Important Rule exception for subsequent round squad building: If you wish to bank points, you may carry over up to 10pt into the next rounds build total. This is the only exception to adding 50pts in round 2 & 3, giving you up to 60pts instead if either Round 1 build total is 90-99pt and Round 2 build total is 140-149pts.

Time per round is 75 minutes.

Start date: November 16th (Wednesday). Please sign up/submit squads by midnight on November 15th (Tuesday).

Participants:

Urbanshmi
Thereisnotry
Udorian
Mando
Spryguy1981
Gandalfthegreatestwizard
TimmerB123
urbanjedi

If anyone else is interested in joining, please post below! The tournament will take place over 4 rounds. Each round will consist of 2 games each with round Robin format for the first 7 games, and Swiss pairings for the final game 8. Your cumulative score over all 4 rounds determines the overall winner. They will happen in this order:

Round 1: 100pts
Round 2: 150pts (use exact team from round 1 + 50pts of new miniatures. You may choose to upgrade 1 unique character from the previous round to one that has a higher cost and counts as the same character, following faction rules, to be a part of the 50 additional points)
Round 3: 200pts (use exact same team from round 2 + 50pts of new miniatures. You may choose to upgrade 1 unique character from the previous round to one that has a higher cost and counts as the same character, following faction rules, to be a part of the 50 additional points)
Round 4: Epic finale! 200pts + 175pts (this 175pts is for 1 Epic miniature and 1 other mini of your choice). You use exact same team from round 3 + whatever Epic miniature and 1 other mini you use for the 175 additional points. You may choose to upgrade 1 unique character from the previous round to one that has a higher cost and counts as the same character, following faction rules, to be a part of the 175 additional points. If choosing to upgrade a non-epic character to an Epic character, this counts as the 1 Epic Miniature you get for the round. The Epic miniature and 1 additional mini must be from your squads faction (Fringe Epic can be used in any faction))
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, November 5, 2022 9:47:11 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

participant: gandalf
Mando
Posted: Saturday, November 5, 2022 9:52:51 PM

Added you in gandalf! Glad you could join! It'll be really interesting to see what teams are made and how they evolve over the course of the tournament. You might be building your squad to even work really well with a particular epic miniature.
Udorian84
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 6:12:50 AM

What is epic exactly?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 6:24:31 AM

There are currently three sets of Epic minis, a total of 24 pieces. Each costs more than 100 points. They can be found by browsing.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 6:25:34 AM

Is there no flexibility between rounds? This current format makes it impossible to ever add a piece that costs more than 50 pts (except when jumping to Epic format). That’s quite restrictive.

I think it might work better to say that 80% of the points from your squad have to remain the same. So in moving from 100 to 150, you have to keep 80pts from your squad and can then build your squad up to 150 from there.
Udorian84
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 6:50:14 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Is there no flexibility between rounds? This current format makes it impossible to ever add a piece that costs more than 50 pts (except when jumping to Epic format). That’s quite restrictive.

I think it might work better to say that 80% of the points from your squad have to remain the same. So in moving from 100 to 150, you have to keep 80pts from your squad and can then build your squad up to 150 from there.

I think 80% is a great number as well. You will keep 80 points going into the second round and get 70 points to build to get to 150.
Keep 120 going into the 3rd round and get 80 to build up to 200.
Then add the epic.
Mando
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:14:08 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

It's a good idea, but the issue I can see happening is that you may not have exactly 80 points worth of minis to keep and thus you are short on points going into the next round. So say for example you had a squad with 4 minis each costing 25pts. Next round you can only use 3 of them, giving you 75pts +70 more to build with, making you have 145pts when others may have 150. I realize that people do like to play the higher cost figures, so I think it might be interesting to see if people include it in the initial 100pt team. Say for example, you want to play Mace Windu. You could just build around him in the first round, that way you can continue using him in each additional round. 50pts might not seem like much to add, but there are many good figures in each faction that do cost 50pts or less. If we can find a way around that conundrum of being short points because of not having exactly 80pts going into the next round however, I'd be happy to adjust!
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:26:57 AM

Mando wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

It's a good idea, but the issue I can see happening is that you may not have exactly 80 points worth of minis to keep and thus you are short on points going into the next round. So say for example you had a squad with 4 minis each costing 25pts. Next round you can only use 3 of them, giving you 75pts +70 more to build with, making you have 145pts when others may have 150. I realize that people do like to play the higher cost figures, so I think it might be interesting to see if people include it in the initial 100pt team. Say for example, you want to play Mace Windu. You could just build around him in the first round, that way you can continue using him in each additional round. 50pts might not seem like much to add, but there are many good figures in each faction that do cost 50pts or less. If we can find a way around that conundrum of being short points because of not having exactly 80pts going into the next round however, I'd be happy to adjust!

That is brilliant
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:28:54 AM

I'm in. Maybe we make the cut 75pts so next round you have 75pts to add.
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:29:44 AM

I would assume rapport still functions in this format as well
Mando
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:41:42 AM

Rapport still functions. Would everyone be ok with suspending the use of Jabbba Desilijic Tiure seeing as he is currently (to my knowledge) in discussion by the balance committee? I'd be ok having him in future formats once the committee has figured out how to correct his cost and mechanics.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:45:16 AM

Another way to possibly allow for playing of the higher cost characters is to allow switching of different versions of characters between rounds. I would say maybe allow the player to switch out 1 unique character for a higher cost version of the same character per round. It would kind of keep squad continuity in tact and be kind of like leveling up a character.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:48:23 AM

Switching to a different higher cost version would be cool. And yes ban Jabba.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:56:17 AM

Mando wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

You're misunderstanding my suggestion. I never suggested "exactly" 80pts. My suggestion was simply that, when moving from 100 to 150, 80pts of your 100 squad still needs to be there in your 150 squad. If you want to keep all 100pts then that's fine. If 92pts of your 100 squad is present in your 150, that's fine too...but (in the example gave), having just 75pts carry through to the next squad would not be okay, because 75 is less than 80.

And whether it's 80 or 75 or 92 is irrelevant at this point...I just suggested 80 as a starting point for discussion.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 10:07:46 AM

I don't really have an opinion about whether to carry the entire lower squad over or not, but yes to banning JDT.
Udorian84
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 10:35:17 AM

I sometimes like 2 big pieces or a piece that goes with another piece (think Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors) in my squads and think it should be an option. I will play either way but that is my preference.
Mando
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 1:46:35 PM

I like the idea of being able to upgrade one of your unique characters to a more expensive costing one in subsequent rounds. Goes well with the Escalation theme. Would that work for everyone? That way you can get a more expensive piece of you would like to.
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 2:28:04 PM

Mando wrote:
I like the idea of being able to upgrade one of your unique characters to a more expensive costing one in subsequent rounds. Goes well with the Escalation theme. Would that work for everyone? That way you can get a more expensive piece of you would like to.

So My question on that would be, where do we draw the line? Can you upgrade Ani No Fear to Ani-Obi? Kylo Ren or Rey Skywalker to Rey-Lo? Captain Rex to Tanosaurus Rex?
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 3:30:16 PM

Caedus wrote:
Mando wrote:

So My question on that would be, where do we draw the line? Can you upgrade Ani No Fear to Ani-Obi? Kylo Ren or Rey Skywalker to Rey-Lo? Captain Rex to Tanosaurus Rex?

I would keep it simple and say it has to be a straight character for character swap, so no duos. If you want a duo, put it in your base squad or wait for epic would be the way I would handle that situation. This looks like a really fun format, wish I could join in. I have a couple ideas that I think would be really interesting.