RegisterDonateLogin

Slowly digested over a thousand years.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galactic Escalation: Round 1 Options
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 10:58:41 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yes, but what are the building rules? Same squad at each level, except that you can swap a unique for another version? And how many squads do we need to submit prior to the first round?
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 12:31:42 PM
Groups: Member

UrbanShmi wrote:
Yes, but what are the building rules? Same squad at each level, except that you can swap a unique for another version? And how many squads do we need to submit prior to the first round?

You just submit 1 squad for round 1. That squad then gets built upon for round 2 where you use the same minis from round 1 and you get 50 pts to add additional minis, bringing the total to 150pts. If you want to use some of the 50 points to upgrade one of your unique characters from round 1, you can as long as it fits within the 50 pts. So for example if you have a 15pt Luke in round 1 and want to upgrade him to a 30pt Luke for round 2, that would be 15pts towards the 50pts you get to build with for round 2, leaving you 35pts to add additional minis. The same process is done for round 3, where you take your team from round 2 and build upon it with 50 more points to bring the squad build total to 200pts. You may again upgrade one of your unique characters to a higher cost version, but the difference in cost would go towards the 50pts you get to add.

For round 4, you take your 200pt team from round 3 and you have 175pts to put towards 1 Epic miniature and 1 other mini. Hopefully this all makes sense.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 12:42:45 PM

Got it
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 7:21:13 PM

I'll play!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 8:06:39 PM

In round 4, can the epic be an upgraded character like the other rounds?

gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2022 3:11:25 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Doesn't seem like there's any reason why it couldn't be.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2022 8:36:20 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Doesn't seem like there's any reason why it couldn't be.

I was thinking about it and I think the fear would be that the factions with a semi-epic piece would get to play them. I know every faction has access to the 100pt Revan, but only a few have a in faction mini epic (Dooku, Luke, Vader, Sidious, Krayt, Obi Wan for example) that could be played when you factor in the cost difference between a non-epic and a Epic and also consider you have 175pts to work with. Case in point: There is a 58pt Mara Jade. If you upgraded her to 126pt Epic Mara Jade, you would only be having to use 68pts of the 175 given to you. That gives you over 100pts, and you could easily get 100pt NR Luke in addition to Epic Mara Jade. That seems a bit broken. I'm going to say that a regular mini can't upgrade to a Epic one simply because of the unfair situations that can occur with some factions.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2022 8:46:59 PM

That doesn't seem like an unfair situation, since you are still working with the same point total. You can get 100pt characters anyway, you just need to include the cheaper versions earlier on. I think it makes for more interesting options if you can play a lower-cost version(s) of a character like Jaina, Darth Bane or Luke and then still play the Epic version of the same character. But it's your tournament.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 5:21:54 AM

That doesn't seem like an unfair situation, since you are still working with the same point total. You can get 100pt characters anyway, you just need to include the cheaper versions earlier on. I think it makes for more interesting options if you can play a lower-cost version(s) of a character like Jaina, Darth Bane or Luke and then still play the Epic version of the same character. But it's your tournament.

I guess i just see it limiting squad building more than it opens it up, mostly because everyone then is going to want to include a character that can upgrade to an Epic version due to the fact that you get that many more points to add when you subtract the cost of the difference between the non-Epic version and the Epic one. It'd feel like everyone who doesn't build a squad with a character that can upgrade to a Epic gets the short end of the 175pt build total since they don't get as many points for the second character. The 175pts was suggested as a way for people to add any Epic they want and also have enough points to add a second character who could help your squad and balance out the amount of activations for everyone.

I realize that as it currently is, people can upgrade Luke for instance to the 100pt version in round 3 and still have the Epic Mara Jade in addition to the extra mini from the 175pts you get in round 4 to add. Someone could also have the 100pt Sidious for the Imperials by round 3 and then you would be able to pair him with the Epic Darth Vader (who could cost 10 less also with Sidious) which would be an extremely powerful combo. Would it be ok with everyone to limit the amount of points a character can be upgraded to? I think to avoid the situations where someone could have a 100pt character and a Epic character, we could just set a cap on the upgrading to be where you can upgrade to a higher cost version that is less than 100pts. I really want to avoid broken squads as best I can and I just forsee a few squads becoming real problems when you pair a 100pt character with a Epic one and becoming a NPE for those who don't have a combo like that. If everyone is ok with allowing a 100pt BHC piece to be played with an Epic, we can keep it as it is.

Current list of characters that could be upgraded to a 100pt or more version by round 3 are:

1. Palpatine - could go from Palpatine on Throne (33pts) to Emperor Palpatine, Sith Lord (62pts) or Emperor Palpatine, Reborn (83pts) to 100pt Darth Sidious, Sith Mastermind
2. Vader - could go from Vader of Lothal (45pts) to any other Vader (all others cost 50pts or more) to 100pt Vader.
3. Luke - could go from Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero (48pts) to Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master (74pts) to 100pt Luke
4. Dooku - could go from Dooku, Separatist Hero (45ps) to any other Dooku (all others cost 50pts or more) to 100pt Dooku.
5. Revan - could go from Darth Revan, Sith Lord (62pts) to 100pt Revan, Returned
6. Yoda - could go from Master Yoda (44pts) to any other Yoda (all others cost 50pts or more) to 100pt Yoda.

The ones that stand out to me as being the biggest issue is Vader, Revan and possibly Yoda. They have solid versions through the upgrade chain and could contribute to you doing well in the round they are in at all point levels!

Luke, Jedi Master isn't all that great, so you'd be hurting your round 2 rankings most likely if you played him, but you could have him in round 3 as his 100pt version. Palpatine has an ok version (Emperor Palpatine, Reborn) who you could upgrade to in round 2 and then have him go to 100pt sidious for round 3.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 5:38:05 AM

Again, it's your tournament, but in my opinion the rules are fine as they are. There are going to be "broken" squads regardless of how many complicated restrictions we can think up.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 6:28:23 AM

Again, it's your tournament, but in my opinion the rules are fine as they are. There are going to be "broken" squads regardless of how many complicated restrictions we can think up.

I suppose that to make things less complicated than they are, we can just keep things as they are and if something needs to be changed next time we do a tournament like this, we can. My goal is to create a new format with this, so I'd like it to be fun for everyone!
Udorian84
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 7:51:15 AM

Excited to see this format in action!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 9:44:13 AM

If I'm reading right, this is something like 12 skirmishes per player. 4 rounds, and each round will be Swiss pairings of (most likely) 3 skirmishes. Is that right?
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 10:05:08 AM

I hope that each new leg of the event will start fresh with the Swiss rankings. That is, if someone is 0-3 after the 100pt leg, then I wouldn't want to see that player start the 150 by being paired only with the other 0-3 or 1-2 players. If that were the case, then I think we'd find that it's always the same groups of players playing against each other most of the time.

I think that each new leg of the event should start with fresh Swiss pairings...so it's possible that at the start of the 150 leg, the player who was 3-0 in 100 could start against the player who was 0-3 in 100.

Over the course of 12 matches, variety will be important...especially if each of us will be playing squads that are mostly the same the whole time. (Part of the challenge for me will be trying to come up with a squad base that I'll enjoy playing 12x in one event.)
Udorian84
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 10:25:47 AM

I still think it should be 2 skirmishes a round.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 10:50:11 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I hope that each new leg of the event will start fresh with the Swiss rankings. That is, if someone is 0-3 after the 100pt leg, then I wouldn't want to see that player start the 150 by being paired only with the other 0-3 or 1-2 players. If that were the case, then I think we'd find that it's always the same groups of players playing against each other most of the time.

I think that each new leg of the event should start with fresh Swiss pairings...so it's possible that at the start of the 150 leg, the player who was 3-0 in 100 could start against the player who was 0-3 in 100.

Over the course of 12 matches, variety will be important...especially if each of us will be playing squads that are mostly the same the whole time. (Part of the challenge for me will be trying to come up with a squad base that I'll enjoy playing 12x in one event.)

Each round will be a fresh new start on the Swiss rankings. Right now it is looking like 3 games per round as we have 7 people signed up thus far, so 1 person will get a bye. The cumulative score over all the rounds is what determines the winner of the tournament. Obviously if you do well in each round, your overall score will be high. I do like how you can make small adjustments with the increasing point levels so you can try and counter what others are playing.

I have found an app on Android that I can use, however it only accepts 2pt or 3pt wins and not 1pt losses. I tested it out in a mock tournament and it seems to work well for pairing people according to the traditional swiss system, but i want to make sure that things aren't screwed up with the 1pts that people can get. Is there an app that people use that takes 1pt losses into account? I know of one for iphone users that people are using for Swiss tournaments. I can try and figure out how to calculate pairings also by means of pen and paper, but figured i'd try an app first.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 1:05:00 PM

Richie from NZ made a few nice apps for Star Wars minis, including a tournament tracker. I can't find it in the Android PlayStore right now. Maybe it was only made for the iPhone.

I forgot his screenname... DarthRattlehead maybe?
Mando
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 2:45:33 PM

i added the only rule exception for the subsequent round squad building limit of 50pts, based on what was discussed earlier. please see the original post to see the exception spelled out. It is rare, but it can come into play during squad building, so for people building squads right now, it allows players to reach exactly 150pts and 200pts in Round 2 and 3 if they so choose.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 3:00:21 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
I still think it should be 2 skirmishes a round.

I think we can make that work. TJ also mentioned that it might be a good idea to cut down the number of games to 2 per round. I know that time is important to people and also it might be hard to play most of the same peices 12 times in a row compared to 8. For Swiss, if we could somehow recruit 1 more player, that would make things much more representative of what is the best squad 2 people won't get a bye each round. I was thinking 3 rounds would give a decent shot at showing what squads are the best in each round. If we are at 7 players next week, maybe we could do round robin with the lesser amount of games if we do 2 games per round instead of swiss? That would ensure that everyone gets to play everyone at least once. What does everyone else think about switching it to round robin instead of Swiss? We currently have 7 players signed up. 2 rounds per tournament means 8 total games, so there would be just 1 rematch and we can do the swiss style pairings for that one game making it so that those who are overall doing the best in round 4 get matched against each other for the final game 8.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2022 10:06:43 PM

I like this round robin idea. And then following that up with a Swiss-style pairing for the final round(s) is a good way to go.