RegisterDonateLogin

Banned from the 'silly' message boards.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galactic Escalation: Round 1 Options
Mando
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2022 6:18:09 PM
Groups: Member

I updated the rules to allow for you to upgrade a single character to a higher cost one in the subsequent rounds if you so choose. So if for example, you want to build a sith squad with the 50pt Darth Bane and want to upgrade him to the 80+ point version in round 2, you can. It will go towards the 50pts you have to work with. I feel that this is a good way to work with the theme and might lead to more interesting squad builds using weaker versions of characters and gradually building them up for future rounds. A lot of main characters have multiple versions of them, so there are interesting ways this can be integrated. Might be a cool way to help your squad adapt and counter what others are playing also. This is a good middle ground I feel for allowing some of the higher cost minis to see play if you don't wish to build them into your initial 100pt team.

As an additional note, it was suggested to me that we could add a 5 round to the Galactic Escalation tournament and it would take place after round 3 and be where you build a 300pt team and thus have 100pts to add to your previous round squad. Round 5 then would be your 300 point squad + 1 Epic miniature for the Grand finale. I'd like to get people's thoughts on this if that is something people would like. It would make the tournament last an additional month, so that might be hard for some people to commit to, which is why I initially kept it to 4 rounds.

I did also add a start date will be next week on Wednesday November 16th. That will give people a little over a week to figure out a squad build to play. Once I have submitted my squad to a 3rd party, I will update you all and you can send your squad submissions to me.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 12:48:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sorry to introduce even more suggestions for the rules, but what if the last escalation was "add 175pts (or 200?), including one Epic character" instead of "add one Epic"? Not all Epics are costed equally, so it seems a little unfair if you can choose a higher-costed one with no penalty. It's true that not all of them are appropriately costed, but if I was bringing Grandmaster Satele I'd want to have an extra 40pts to go up against a Revan, Redeemed.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 6:18:47 AM

One other thought: maybe this doesn’t need to take several months; what if, instead of playing 100 for 4 weeks and then 150 for 4 weeks…we instead played 100 for one game and 150 for the next game, and so on?

I can imagine that it might start to get rather repetitive, playing with what is essentially the same squad for several months in a row.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 7:50:25 AM

I'd like to do 2 games each round.
Mando
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:09:37 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Sorry to introduce even more suggestions for the rules, but what if the last escalation was "add 175pts (or 200?), including one Epic character" instead of "add one Epic"? Not all Epics are costed equally, so it seems a little unfair if you can choose a higher-costed one with no penalty. It's true that not all of them are appropriately costed, but if I was bringing Grandmaster Satele I'd want to have an extra 40pts to go up against a Revan, Redeemed.

It's a good suggestion. The reason I didn't want to set a point limit was so people didn't choose a single epic that costs little (Satele for example) and then use the rest of the points on cheap stuff (10 mouse droids for example). Epic format usually has an activation cap of 16, so I figured that usually people run about 12-16 activations in a 200pt team. Maybe we could say you have 175 pts for 2 extra minis to be added, one of which has to be a Epic miniature. That way everyone is adding the same amount of activations and depending on your Epic miniature cost, you can add something from fringe or your faction to make up the rest.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:14:43 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
That would be good!
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:19:05 AM

Mando wrote:

It's a good suggestion. The reason I didn't want to set a point limit was so people didn't choose a single epic that costs little (Satele for example) and then use the rest of the points on cheap stuff (10 mouse droids for example). Epic format usually has an activation cap of 16, so I figured that usually people run about 12-16 activations in a 200pt team. Maybe we could say you have 175 pts for 2 extra minis to be added, one of which has to be a Epic miniature. That way everyone is adding the same amount of activations and depending on your Epic miniature cost, you can add something from fringe or your faction to make up the rest.

ThumpUp
Mando
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:21:16 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
One other thought: maybe this doesn’t need to take several months; what if, instead of playing 100 for 4 weeks and then 150 for 4 weeks…we instead played 100 for one game and 150 for the next game, and so on?

I can imagine that it might start to get rather repetitive, playing with what is essentially the same squad for several months in a row.

I feel that it might not be the best way to see how good your squad is if it gets a bad matchup for the 1 game you would get at each point level. The multiple games per round helps see who overall has the best squads and can adapt in subsequent rounds. Say for example someone runs a 100pt separatist squad in round 1 with durge on speeder. No one else might have a counter to strafe and that player does well in round 1. Next round people know that there is a strafe threat and they add in counters. The separatist player now is not in such a good position to dominate and his score for round 2 might be low. The winner of the tournament is whoever has the biggest total of points from all 4 rounds. So if you don't do terribly well in round 1 and 2 but you really do well in round 3 and 4, you could win the whole thing! I know it might seem a bit repetitive to use the same faction every round, but you at least get to add more to the squad and get new pieces to play and you can upgrade one of your uniques to a higher cost version.
Mando
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:26:15 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:
That would be good!

For a Swiss tournament format, which is what we are doing, how many games is needed at a minimum? We aren't doing playoffs so it'd be just so many games against others that are doing as well as you are and your total points for the round gets added to the other rounds. I just want to give everyone a fair shot to showcase their squad and not suffer from bad matchups.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:49:43 AM

Good question. What if you pre-set the matchups before the tournament began? (At least to some extent) That is, do a Round Robin, where A plays B in the first game (at 100) and then C in the second. Then (at 150) vs D and then E, and then (at 200) vs F and then G, etc.

Then perhaps, after everyone has played against everyone else you re-start with a new round of Round Robin pairings.

I think that you'd need to know how many players are in and also how many total rounds are going to be played, then you can do the math and plan out the rounds/pairings. The thing with Round Robin is that there's no avoiding the bad matchups, and you won't get "stuck" in the losing bracket (and therefore not get a chance to play vs the top squads) if you have a bad first round matchup.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 8:57:27 AM

What if I make a squad with 98 points? Can I then add 52 for the next squad to get it equal to 150?
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 9:10:25 AM

I suggest divisons depending on how many we get. Let's say we get 8 it would look like this

Div 1 = A, B, C, D
Div 2 = E, F, G, H

100pts you play round robin vs the other teams in you division and you get X amount of weeks (2?) to get all of thise games in

Then for 150 you move around and have
Div 1 = A, B, G, H
Div 2 = C, D, E, F

Then at 200
Div 1 = A, B, E, F
Div 2 = C, D, G, H

and so on. This way you'll play every player at least once
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 9:12:11 AM

In theory you could say full round robin. Every player plays every player every round. Give a full month to finish all games. Dunno how time looks for everyone.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 9:14:24 AM

Also, can I upgrade a character twice or multiple times?
Could I go from Luke Farm boy to something else to something else?
Mando
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 9:16:38 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
What if I make a squad with 98 points? Can I then add 52 for the next squad to get it equal to 150?

You could just add Kneesa lol. The only situation where someone might have to build with more points is if they have 99pts in round 1. Next round I would be okay with them having 51. We don't have any (and probably never will) 1 pt piece.
Mando
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 9:18:05 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
Also, can I upgrade a character twice or multiple times?
Could I go from Luke Farm boy to something else to something else?

You get one upgrade per round. So, for example, Luke could go from Farmboy in round 1, to Luke young Jedi in round 2, and then to Luke Hero of Endor in round 3 and then to a higher cost Luke in round 4
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 11:32:40 AM

Mando wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:

You could just add Kneesa lol. The only situation where someone might have to build with more points is if they have 99pts in round 1. Next round I would be okay with them having 51. We don't have any (and probably never will) 1 pt piece.
The only problem (as far as the rules go right now) is that if you add Kneesa at 100, then she has to still be part of your 150 squad and your 200 and your 300 and your Epic squads. If things stay as they currently are, then it might be necessary to build a 97pt squad in round 1, so that you have room to build the squad that you really want in 150 or 200.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2022 1:54:33 PM

What if I stand on one foot and then I pat my head with my right hand, do I get to add potatoes to the chili with my Bob Evans order in the next round?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 9:16:54 AM

Sooooo, what are the rules? Is it too late to sign up? Why does the thread say round 1 (if it hasn't even started yet)?
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 10:49:57 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Sooooo, what are the rules? Is it too late to sign up? Why does the thread say round 1 (if it hasn't even started yet)?

It's not too late to sign up! I'm new at the whole hosting a tournament thing, so I will make a new forum post when it starts next week with squads and matchups