RegisterDonateLogin

Has brought peace, freedom, and security to the new Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Versatility Gauntlet (Results and write-ups thread) (Galactic Attrition!) Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 9:30:37 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
chiech22 wrote:
Chiech22 vs thereisnotry

Chiech22 Factions eliminated:
Separatists (already played)
Sith
Vong
Fringe
imperial

TINT Factions eliminated:
Rebels (already played)
Sith
Imperials
Republic
Old Republic

Chiech22 playing Republic
--Versatility Gauntlet (republic)--
37 Supreme Chancellor Palpatine
26 Elite Republic Commando - Boss
25 Republic Commando Atin
24 Elite Republic Commando - Fixer
24 Elite Republic Commando - Scorch
24 Elite Republic Commando - Sev
22 Republic Commando Dev
10 ARF Trooper
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid

Preferred Reserves:
(SC Palpatine) 29 Aayla Secura, Jedi Knight
(SC Palpatine) 20 Blizz

(204pts. 10 activations)

thereisnotry playing Separatists
--Dooku....--
100 Dooku
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
27 Lobot
16 BX Commando Droid Spotter
15 BX Commando Droid Sniper
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 13 Czerka Shield Technician
(Lobot) 5 Porg
(Lobot) 2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(199pts. 10 activations)

This was the craziest match ever. Chiech22 won the map and choose Theed Palace. TINT set up on the left.

Rounds 1 & 2 were basically positioning and opening and closing doors. RCs picked off first the spotter then the sniper.

Round 3 started Gambit and the Dooku/Asajj bloodbath with Dooku using Chain Lightning. The clones stood in there with some very hot Shield Saves. Asaji started to dwindle the clones also. The Czerka shield tech moved up to neutralize shields and we both scored gambit.

Round 4 TINT wins int and Dooku uses Chain Lightning again. Asajj kills Sev, and the clones take out Asajj. We trade pawns.

The Porgs start to spawn and really help Dooku with some key saves.

Round 5 I roll a 20 for Int and gain Republic Reinforcements 20 and bring in Aayla. Dooku takes out RC Atin, I take out a few pawns.

Round 6 we both roll 20s for Int negating my Republic Reinforcements again. Dooku continues his onslaught and kills RC Boss, Aayla moves into the fray, and I take out Lobot. Mostly everyone is in Gambit for the end game.

Round 7 Dooku takes out Fixer and I use Aayla’s Force Pull to bring Dooku next to me (mistake). Dooku slices into Aayla with twin Riposte. Dev gets towed and misses Dooku.

Round 8 I get int and Aayla uses Brutal Strike but misses both attacks. Dooku kills Aayla and moves to win the game.

In the most unbelievable ending ever, Dooku rolls a 1 against Palpatine - Betrayal. Dooku joins my squad and the game ends. I am not sure how the betrayal works for scoring, but right before the score was TINT 199 - 157 Chiech22.

So with the betrayal, final score 257-199, cheich22 (3) defeats thereisnotry (1)

All in all the dice gods were with me or this would have been a very different match.

Little confused here. Did Dooku die? Because if not, nobody scores points for him
No Dooku didn't die. All that was left after he betrayed was 3 Porgs in the back. He had a 100hp Dooku and another attacker remaining (in gambit) vs those Porgs. Since Porgs can't cause damage, isn't that the end?

Edit: the score was 157 for Chiech and 199 for me when Dooku betrayed. (If Dooku didn't attack Palpatine I would've won on gambit that round)
chiech22
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 3:25:12 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Little confused here. Did Dooku die? Because if not, nobody scores points for him

So after Dooku switched sides, I would have killed the remaining 3 Porgs for 15+10 for gambit for a total of 182. So the final would have been thereisnotry 199 - 182 chiech22.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 5:26:16 AM

chiech22 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

So after Dooku switched sides, I would have killed the remaining 3 Porgs for 15+10 for gambit for a total of 182. So the final would have been thereisnotry 199 - 182 chiech22.

So just confirming - thereisnotry won. 2-1
Mando
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 6:35:37 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
chiech22 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

if Thereisnotry had no more pieces tho, wouldn't that mean he'd lose? I would think if the opponent eliminates all opposing pieces, that the win should go to that player.
Overley28
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 6:54:51 AM

Mando wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
chiech22 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

if Thereisnotry had no more pieces tho, wouldn't that mean he'd lose? I would think if the opponent eliminates all opposing pieces, that the win should go to that player.

I agree. I think it is a weird situation where chiech actually has less points but gets a full win since he has no more people to kill for more points.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 6:56:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

That's correct, but it's not what happened. It sounds like TINT conceded before time was up. Chiech would have finished him off or could have sat in gambit until he had the points, but the game just ended.

If time had run out in this circumstance, TINT would win because he had more points. Since that didn't happen, it's really up to the TO how to resolve it.

If a judge had been called, the players likely would have been asked to play it out. It's true that if all of one player's pieces are dead, the other will get a 3 point win. But that wasn't the case.
chiech22
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 7:10:38 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Honestly, I am a returning player and this was my 2nd game in the last 10+ years. I played a complicated squad and personally I was very slow. TINT was very gracious and supportive of my struggles. Time should have been called well before the end of the game but TINT allowing me to 'play it out' was invaluable to me a returning player. I'd hate to see him getting penalized for being a good dude.

As always will respect TimmerB123's decision and I understand Tournament RAW (Rules as Written), but IMHO TINT should win this 2-1.

thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 7:35:52 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
It sounds like TINT conceded before time was up.
That's not correct; I never conceded. I thought that since none of my remaining characters (Porgs) could do damage, that the game was automatically over.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 7:45:31 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I thought that since none of my remaining characters (Porgs) could do damage, that the game was automatically over.

I have always thought this too, not sure if it actually comes from anywhere.
chiech22
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 8:01:39 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
It sounds like TINT conceded before time was up.
That's not correct; I never conceded. I thought that since none of my remaining characters (Porgs) could do damage, that the game was automatically over.

TINT did not concede.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 8:52:49 AM

chiech22 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Honestly, I am a returning player and this was my 2nd game in the last 10+ years. I played a complicated squad and personally I was very slow. TINT was very gracious and supportive of my struggles. Time should have been called well before the end of the game but TINT allowing me to 'play it out' was invaluable to me a returning player. I'd hate to see him getting penalized for being a good dude.

As always will respect TimmerB123's decision and I understand Tournament RAW (Rules as Written), but IMHO TINT should win this 2-1.

For context, please elaborate on the “play it out” part
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 9:22:52 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
chiech22 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I disregarded the timer when it went off. I didn't keep the logfile, but I was up 120-115 or something at that point. I had a 120hp Dooku and chiech had just recently killed my Assaj Ventress.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 10:09:39 AM

Apologies for the assumption. So it sounds like we need to backtrack to the end of the round after time ran out.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 12:13:02 PM

And I thought my betrayal in the first round of games was massive, lol. God, I hate that stupid ability.
chiech22
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 12:41:53 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I disregarded the timer when it went off. I didn't keep the logfile, but I was up 120-115 or something at that point. I had a 120hp Dooku and chiech had just recently killed my Assaj Ventress.

This. We were pretty close most of the match, but I remember pulling my head out of my arse for a moment, looking at the time, looking at the Scoreboard, looking at the remaining pieces, apologizing for my slow play, imploring that it was unintentional, and saying, "You should put 15 minutes back on the clock for my slow play" because I was thinking he deserved to play this out for a full 3-1 win rather than a 2-1 win.

If it wasn't for the Betrayal at the end, it would have been 3-1 TINT.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 3:18:14 PM

gandalf over Overley28 247-175 (3-1)

Overley vetoed Fringe, Sith, Vong, Imperials and I had already played Rebels.

I vetoed Fringe, Old Republic, Vong, Imperials and he had already played Sith.

I played NR: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/240184/pointiest-pilots

--Pointiest Pilots--
42 Garm Bel Iblis, Ruthless Tactician
33 Luke Skywalker, New Republic Hero
32 Jaina Solo Fel, Jedi Master
29 Ganner Rhysode
23 Anakin Solo
18 Klatooinian Captain
10 Jagged Fel
8 R7 Astromech Droid
5 Porg

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Garm, RT) 19 Finn

(200pts. 10 activations)

Overley played Rebels: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/246037/vg---han-shot-first

--VG - Han Shot First--
48 Han Solo, Captain of the Millennium Falcon
44 Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor
30 Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
21 Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
18 Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
14 General Rieekan
14 Princess Leia, Hero of Endor (swapped from Leia RC)
6 C-3PO

(195pts. 8 activations)

I won map so we played on Mushroom Planet. Overley set up on the left.

Round 1, we both advanced, with his Luke getting to gambit. At the end of the round after outactivating I levitated Jaina in to attack Luke. She hit Luke twice for 20 damage with him failing LS Defense, and she parried all the Djem So attacks. 10-10

Round 2, we both rolled 20 for init, then Overley rolled a 20 on the reroll. Han Shot First and went after his daughter, hitting her twice. She failed both Evades, no rerolls or Porgs allowed because of HSF, and died instantly. Luke NRH ambushed Luke HOE. The first got Defensed, the second hit, and I was too scared to make the third because Djem So had already knocked my Luke down to 20HP. Ganner came to the rescue and levitated my Luke to safety. Leia moved Chewie, but he failed the save for Garm's CE and lost his turn. Artoo closed the middle door wih Override, and we did some positioning. Overley 52-20 gandalf

Round 3, Overley won init and made me go first. I spun Jag. Rebel Luke moved out of gambit onto my side of the map with Knight Speed and took out my Klat Captain, and then Leia pushed him a little further from my attackers. I levitated Anakin into the middle for a massive Unleash the Force, hitting Artoo, Han, Threepio, Chewie and Lando, with Overley failing every single save so all of them took 60 damage. Chewie and Han killed Anakin. I ran my R7 into the room to base Lando, and then used Garm's "Fire at Will" on Finn to deal 10 auto-damage to them both, killing Lando. Artoo locked the middle door with Override. Finn took a shot at Rebel Luke but got evaded. I moved NR Luke back closer to the action. Overley 103-57 gandalf

Round 4, Overley won init and Rebel Luke retaliated against Finn, but I rolled both Avoid Defeat saves so he lived with 10HP. Garm moved to put Luke in Traps, and Finn hit once for 30 with Bravado and got his other attack defensed, leaving Luke at 10HP. Overley opened the middle door with Artoo, and Chewie came in past Ganner and hit NR Luke. I rolled a 9 on the LS Defense save but forgot to use a Porg! blastedit. NR Luke dies, Ganner gets hit for 30 with Cleave. Jag finished off Rebel Luke. My R7 closes the middle door with Override. Leia moves around the top and takes a shot at Finn, but I make both Avoid Defeat saves again! Leia moves Han who makes his Garm save and Chewie who takes an AoO from Ganner leaving him at 20HP. Han takes a shot at my R7, hitting, and mobiles up to the top door. Ganner pushes Chewie to death and Rieekan moves up from the back. Overley 146-141 gandalf

Round 5, Overley won init and Han moves above the central room and finally finishes Finn, and then backs away. I can't reach him with Force Push or enough damage to kill him (especially with Evade), so I take the coward's way. My R7 locks the top door to gambit, and Ganner comes into gambit and Pushes Artoo to death. Leia missed a shot on Jag, and Rieekan moved up to join the crew. Jag ran away into the gambit room as did Garm after missing a shot at Leia. Only I got gambit. Overley 165-169 gandalf

Round 6, Overley won init and made me go first. R7 moved and kept the top door to gambit locked. Overley moved Rieekan to open the left door and used Leia to push Han 6, but Han failed the Garm save. I moved my guys in the central room, putting them all around a corner so they couldn't be shot from outside. Overley 165-179 gandalf

Round 7, Leia pushed Han again but he failed the Garm save again so was left outside for now. I spun my guys in gambit. Overley 165-189 gandalf

Round 8, Overley won init and made me go first, and my R7 kept the door locked. Leia pushed Han, with him making the save this time, and Han took a shot at the R7 but missed. Jag hit Han for 20 and Ganner finished him off with a Force Push. Rieekan tried to do some damage but at the end of the round I was over 200.

It was a very fun and close game, with some very lucky and unlucky dice rolls turning it in my favour. I felt a bit stink about playing door games at the end, but you gotta do what you gotta do when Han can take out half a squad if he shoots first.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2023 3:23:09 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
I rolled a 9 on the LS Defense save but forgot to use a Porg! blastedit.

I was today years old when I learned that bloomilk has an auto-moderator that replaces "d a m n" with "blasted". lol
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, June 2, 2023 6:41:09 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Apologies for the assumption. So it sounds like we need to backtrack to the end of the round after time ran out.

Backtracking and playing out is the technically correct method when there was an (unintentional) illegal game state. It does not sound like there was ever an illegal game state. Am I missing something that was an illegal game state? A rule played wrong, an ability misused, etc.?
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, June 2, 2023 6:44:54 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Backtracking and playing out is the technically correct method when there was an (unintentional) illegal game state. It does not sound like there was ever an illegal game state. Am I missing something that was an illegal game state? A rule played wrong, an ability misused, etc.?
No, I'm pretty sure there was no illegal game state at any point. It's just a question about how or when the game ends.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, June 2, 2023 6:45:48 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure there was no illegal game state at any point. It's just a question about how or when the game ends.

Thank you. I'm going to give my ruling soon