RegisterDonateLogin

Impresses females of your species.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

One Less DCI Player.... Options
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:32:00 AM
Groups: Member

After the last 4 sets, I am done playing Star Wars Minis competitivley. In my opinion SWM has taken a turn for the worst. The new normal for a shooter is 120dmg from across the map, yet the normal for a Jedi is still roughly 40dmg (which requires being adjacent). As a die hard Star Wars fan, I have a serious problem with droids/clones being more powerful than Jedi. It's obsurd. Every shooter just about has Double Twin with either and extra attack, or extra damage. Im really down on the game right now so I wont be playing competitivley anytime soon. That might explain why I havent been on Vassal for almost a month now. My friends and I have been playing pre- Clone Wars games. Man I miss the way the game used to be *sighs*

dalibins
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:41:19 AM

Your assessment of a Jedi only doing 40 damage while adjacent is pretty inaccurate. You take any big shooter and find a jedi that cost roughly the same and you should see a balance. More life, higher defense and force powers being the big factors. Jedi are usually beatsticks that dont exactly require a commander to augment them, while the shooters (especially the droids) require additional help from commanders to get them up to snuff. This isn't always the case but thats how I see it.

Don't let yourself get frustrated with figures you're not a fan of and stop putting jedi on a pedestal.
Volvagia14
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:50:51 AM

Darth Bane can do 200 damage in one turn...given certain, conditions.

But anyway, While you are right, the biggest shooters these days are double-twin-Greater Mobile Attackers,
most Jedi these days have a way of avoiding it. Anything from Evade to deflect, or just a really high defense. So don't get bummed out when you see a shooter who has a potential of a lot of damage, because just think, there's a Jedi somewhere who can get around it. Is there really anyone else who can?
adminsidious
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:54:53 AM

LandShark wrote:
As a die hard Star Wars fan, I have a serious problem with droids/clones being more powerful than Jedi. It's obsurd.

*cough*Order66*cough*

dalibins
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:00:55 AM

adminsidious wrote:
LandShark wrote:
As a die hard Star Wars fan, I have a serious problem with droids/clones being more powerful than Jedi. It's obsurd.

*cough*Order66*cough*

ha ThumpUp
dnemiller
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:04:54 AM

well Landshark then you should quit. Serioulsy.

I mean it seems lately everyone is posting they dont like this or they dont like that so they are going to quit. If you dont like the new set dont buy any of it. If you dont like the squad options out there dont build using the new pieces. I just dont understand how a game makes so many people so mad. It is a game after all.

I am not picking on you Landshark you seem like a nice guy. But why does everyone who is quitting Star Wars minis feel like they need to announce it. I mean I quit playing organized football and baseball after college and I did not have to call or tell anyone. I just quit. So I have to think are you wanting us to talk you out of it. Well we really cant help you with that. You either enjoy the game or you dont.

I get you dont like the new set. I am not a huge fan of it either. There is a lot of cookie cutter design issues. But I still love this game and will continue playing until I dont like it or it is done.
MrSmileys
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:07:27 AM

adminsidious wrote:
LandShark wrote:

*cough*Order66*cough*

That only worked because the Jedi were being very arrogant and they completely blinded themselves to an attack from the republic.

And you forget that the Emperor/Sidious was one of the most powerful sith lords to have ever lived.

I do agree with LandShark in a sense that some of the cheap non-unique shooters have become way to powerful. It seems to me that more and more Beat Sticks are just becoming Commanders to beef up your shooters and that if your Beat does not have a CE hes a waste of points. Take Darth Bane for example; at 200 HP he is a pretty formidable piece, but he costs 82 points of your squad and does not have a CE, he only has a 20 defense so if you can boost a shooter to even a +12 or +14 you can take him down with a few activations. To me thats absurd.
Bob Chizo
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:10:26 AM

dnemiller wrote:
well Landshark then you should quit. Serioulsy.

I mean it seems lately everyone is posting they dont like this or they dont like that so they are going to quit. If you dont like the new set dont buy any of it. If you dont like the squad options out there dont build using the new pieces. I just dont understand how a game makes so many people so mad. It is a game after all.

I am not picking on you Landshark you seem like a nice guy. But why does everyone who is quitting Star Wars minis feel like they need to announce it. I mean I quit playing organized football and baseball after college and I did not have to call or tell anyone. I just quit. So I have to think are you wanting us to talk you out of it. Well we really cant help you with that. You either enjoy the game or you dont.

I get you dont like the new set. I am not a huge fan of it either. There is a lot of cookie cutter design issues. But I still love this game and will continue playing until I dont like it or it is done.

nicely said, there are some problems with some of the newer sets, but get over it, its just a game, and just use old pieces instead of new ones
carnorjax1
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:20:49 AM

Landshark has a valid point, but there is always a team to counter shooters, if you go up against shooters, then don't run a team of jedi. Fight fire with fire and run a shooter team yourself, and while the shooters may do extraordinary amounts of damage, they usually are lacking in health.

Landshark, don't quit, but hold out for better times or... Dark Times. And dnemiller is right, why does everyone announce their departure from the game like it will have a massive emotional impact on everyone else?
Bob Chizo
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:21:37 AM

carnorjax1 wrote:
Landshark has a valid point, but there is always a team to counter shooters, if you go up against shooters, then don't run a team of jedi. Fight fire with fire and run a shooter team yourself, and while the shooters may do extraordinary amounts of damage, they usually are lacking in health.

good point!
MrSmileys
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:26:16 AM

I think some of you misread LandShark's original post. He never said that he was going to stop playing SWM. He said he was going to stop playing competitively. Here let me point it out for you:

LandShark wrote:
After the last 4 sets, I am done playing Star Wars Minis competitivley.

And LandShark, If you ever want to play a friendly game on Vassal with rules like restricting which sets can be used. Feel free to PM me.
adminsidious
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:26:38 AM

Quote:

That only worked because the Jedi were being very arrogant and they completely blinded themselves to an attack from the republic.

And you forget that the Emperor/Sidious was one of the most powerful sith lords to have ever lived.

I'd very much like to know where you're sourcing this from?

If you watch Kai Ai Mundi, Ayala Secura, or Plo Koon dying like a dogs when the clones turn their guns on them, it's clearly a matter of more activations=win.

Sure, there was suprise in there. But really, it's a pretty obtuse assumption tha Jedi have to blind themselves to be suprised. They're people, even if they have some minor super powers from the energy field that surrounds them, or their midichlorian count.

More guns than Jedi=dead Jedi. With the exception of the Clankers(B1 series battle droids), in which case more Guns really tend to not matter, those things are a real waste, and even then Jedi will run from them on occasion. On the other hand, when you think about Clankers, don't think about how easy it is for "Jedi" to beat them. Think about how easy it was for "GUNGANS" to beat them.

Or, I guess i could break it down to it's simplest form, without all the bells and whistles and explanations.

Quote:

That worked

Am I going to have to dig up my "My star wars isn't better than your star wars" rant again?
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:28:37 AM

Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate it. Dont forget I am quitting DCI, not the entire game. I just dont like the meta-game anymore.

I think a few things are being ignored here though. The game is awefully imbalanced, and that is a fact. Lets look at a few specific examples.

IG-86 Assassin Droid X4 = Shado Vao
Commando Droid X7 = GMLS
HK Droid X3 = Darth Krayt

At first glance that looks about right, but when you add in the factors it becomes a problem. With only 1 CE, a single IG Assassin Droid does the same amount of damage as Shado Vao's max, only the droid doesn't need to spend 2 fps to do extra damage. The droid also has the same Defense, and a higher attack for 1/4 the cost of Shado Vao, and doesnt need to be adjacent to attack.

Now if you play against good players (like I do) then you'd expect to get runned and gunned the entire game. You'd be lucky to gain 48pts worth of droids with Shado Vao, even if Wedge is backing him up. Lets throw in a Czerka Scientist too cause I know how the top dogs love to use them. Now jolt is in the mix and blah blah blah.

I could go on and on about specific examples just like the above ones, but i'm sure you already get the point. Droids should not be that much better than Jedi Masters. This puts a bad perspective on Star Wars in my opinion. Jedi should be up to the task of challenging droids and villians.

My point is I should be complaining about how powerfull Jedi are, not droids. It's rediculious. If this game is to be saved, someone needs to advance melee combat as aggressivley as ranged combat as been advanced.
Yames2.0
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:45:29 AM

and people annouce there quiting so they can voice there opion i personaly like to hear why people quit sometimes they make good points. if you dont care that they are leaving y bother to tell them u dont? thow voicing your views on what they said never hurts maybe we can turn one around someday

thow i disagree with you landshark perosnaly i think melee piecies are becoming more and more playable with so many figs getting evade or ways to dodge ranged damg compared to reducing melee damg.

and ill be honest taking a break and not playing competivly never hurts lets u get back into the greatest part of this game its star wars and if you want to play a game some time on vassel id be up for it
Weeks
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:04:58 AM

Jedi dont do but 40 damage per turn? Ever heard of mara jade, JEDI? try 120 damage per turn. And hey i hear you with the last few sets, it does seem like every team i played in tourneys had reikan and dodonna in it. You dont hear me complaining about it, i still run mandos and vong and imperials with big beat stick jedi and win all the time.

If your going to quit just DO IT, but dont do it after hating on the game we all love.
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:17:45 AM

I'm not going to be drug in to an arguement with anyone. I didn't start this thread to argue. A simple I agree with you, or a I don't agree with you will work just fine.

With that being said, i'm just going to ignore your bad attitude Bill. I play at NickNames on Wednesday Nights... Casual Night. You assume way to much, and the tough guy act over the internet is kinda lame.

To everyone else who actually understood the point of this thread, thanks for your understanding. I now have a bunch of people to challenge on Vassal, and some fun is to be had.

Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:30:08 PM

I think each set has a few pieces that make you say "wow". In this set there really isn't alot in it that jumps out at me except the roger roger ability. Cad Bane is nice but I still don't think he is the best shooter based on the points. Capt Rex and the new Dash are still tops in my book. Even the old Solo smuggler is a nice piece still.

It's the synergies that are developed as new pieces are brought in. MTG fixes that by dropping sets out of DCI play as time marches on. Personally I like it that every piece is still in play from the beginning. Otherwise people would be forced to keep buying the new stuff just to play DCI. You can play your old stuff and still compete in DCI. Plus there are so many combos out there that each time we get a new set tons of great squads emerge or old ones get better.

As was said there are some nice melee pieces. I still think Mara Jade, jedi is awesome. Most of the squads I see in competition have a good mix of shooters/melee. It's all about synergy.

How was that for a nice ramble LOL
Doogle126
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:38:43 PM

Weeks wrote:
Jedi dont do but 40 damage per turn? Ever heard of mara jade, JEDI? try 120 damage per turn. And hey i hear you with the last few sets, it does seem like every team i played in tourneys had reikan and dodonna in it. You dont hear me complaining about it, i still run mandos and vong and imperials with big beat stick jedi and win all the time.

If your going to quit just DO IT, but dont do it after hating on the game we all love.

Hey, dont beat up on himCool , i think he brings up some very valid points. I think its funny, you bring in mara jade jedi Cursing as an example when shes NOT melee attack. He's not hating on the game, its just the power creep these days are redonkulous. RS is obsolete, and all but a few pieces from CS are still usable as well. I'm not hatin on you, weeks, but have a little compassion and try to see it through the eyes of someone who loves Jedi. BigGrin
Hydrowhip
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:47:19 PM

Keep it real shark, just play and have fun. It seems like a slippery slope; you either have super shooters like we do now or you revamp Jedi and you get GOWKs. We all know what happened to GOWK.

I think everyone gets so worked up because its a little piece of our own SW universe to play with. All that considered DCI, in order to make tournaments fair and balanced, has to apply rules and conditions. Who wants rules and conditions on their childhood dreams?

Just have fun, enjoy the game. House rules games are better anyway. missiles go around corners! Flapper
dnemiller
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:37:44 PM

Well I guess I dont see what all the fuss is personally. You dont like some things so what? Play around them or quit..... do one or the other.

Dont make it sound like you are a DCI player defecting to the casual game or something though. I mean really will it effect DCI if you quit playing????? I dont think so. I am not saying you dont matter either. I am saying you dont play DCI hardly at all.

You have played a total of 5 DCI rated constructed tournaments in 5 years!!!!!

A total of 21 matches..... that is once per year!!!! YOU ALREADY DONT PLAY COMPETITIVELY!!!!!

you have played one sealed event in 5 years.. that was 4 games!

That is not exactly playing a ton of competitive games. So why the big announcement????? Why tell Bill he is trying to talk tough???? You are the one talking tough.... but it really doesnt add up to the facts of the matter.

By the way I did not pry into your personal life to get that info I just checked the DCI rating grid out there that anyone can check