RegisterDonateLogin

Recommends never trying to milk a rancor.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Alarming Development Options
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:20:41 PM
Groups: Member

I may get in trouble for this, but I have to bring it up. Recently, it appears that some members have been suspended, but I do not wish to discuss that. Rather, I find the response by moderators alarming.

Now, I am in favor of strict moderating, but it seems that "Punishments will not be discussed in public." I am deeply concerned about this as it will inevitably lead into users leaving as well as possible abuse (not an implication or insult). If users are left in the dark as to the nature of an offense and the subsequent ban, it will hurt the morale of the site. It creates an air of moderators that do what they please without answering to anybody, regardless of the actual truth of the situation (for instance if the moderators all agree on the situation; it doesn't help if a common user doesn't know that). To remedy this, I suggest instead of deleting threads and posts, simply edit out the offensive content, then make a post that issue an official warning or ban explaining the offense and duration of punishment and then lock the thread as necessary. This way, The reasons for action against a user will never be in question.

I also suggest establishing a moderation forum both to help moderators and settle any moderation issues. This will bolster public morale by allowing users to discuss moderation topics with the moderators without cluttering another forum. Since it is a moderation forum, however, it will need stricter rules than usual. I suggest this:

Moderation Forum Rules

Please do not post here unless you are reporting a problem we need to deal with

Reportable Situations:
Spamming, and this includes pic spamming and smiley spam.
Trolling, flaming, flamebaiting
Thread hijacking and derailing
Thread move/tow requests
Lock requests
Content that includes anything:
obscene
illegal
malicious
defamatory

MODS ONLY THREADS
A MODS ONLY label in a thread title means that only the following users can participate in the thread:
The person making the complaint/query
The accused (if there is an accused)
The mod or mods involved
A user providing a relevant link or relevant information
Anyone who does not fit into one of the above are not permitted to post. Should they post despite that they are not adding anything, they will be warned for spamming. Even in threads were there is no label, those who speculate, post "me too" responses and anything else irrelevant, such as off-topic bicker will likely be warned for spamming as well.

Tips
Always proof read what you write because the written word is all we have here in terms of communication. The clearer the text of your complaint or query is, the easier it is for us to understand what you want and help you more efficiently.

When possible, always link to the post that you are reporting. If you just post the text of the post without some kind of link, we will inform you that we cannot help you.

Do not bring frivolous complaints to Moderation, such as over a different of opinions. For example, if you disagree with someone, do not automatically assume that they are breaking any rules. If you have a legitimate grievance, however, do bring it to our attention.

Remember to play nice with others because when you report someone for a perceived rule violation, you may also get caught in the process. Everyone is equally accountable for his/her own actions regardless of the actions of any one else.

If someone is trolling, flaming or otherwise being obnoxious, do not reply. Report the offending thread or post to Moderation.

Be respectful of the mods and others who try to help you.

Suggestions are welcome and please at least consider this.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:27:43 PM

I agree...
because if my friends continue to get banned without any explanation I will NOT be trafficking this site.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:29:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Banned/suspended users will of course be notified as to the reason. The reasons for punishments is NOT up for public debate, and only causes issues. The lynch mob mentality does not foster a good forum enviroment.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:35:17 PM

your lack of reasoning makes us all want to leave...
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:39:20 PM

my only question now is...
why have you deleted one of my posts and shut the other one out?
are you afraid of something?
members will catch on eventually...
no matter how many posts the mods delete!
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:40:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I am not a mod here, but I have had experience being a moderator elsewhere.

defender390 wrote:
Now, I am in favor of strict moderating, but it seems that "Punishments will not be discussed in public." I am deeply concerned about this as it will inevitably lead into users leaving as well as possible abuse (not an implication or insult).

This is a VERY common policy on bulletin boards. Users have some expectation of privacy, and that extends to punishments they receive.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:46:11 PM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
my only question now is...
why have you deleted one of my posts and shut the other one out?
are you afraid of something?
members will catch on eventually...
no matter how many posts the mods delete!

PMed.
And simply, this is not a democracy. Such issues are NOT for debate. No matter how popular a person is, we have rules, and we will enforce them.
Keeping reasons why a person is punished private allows them to learn from the experience, and keep hard feelings down.
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:46:40 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Banned/suspended users will of course be notified as to the reason. The reasons for punishments is NOT up for public debate, and only causes issues. The lynch mob mentality does not foster a good forum enviroment.

While I would normally agree with you, the public reaction has changed my mind. Keeping people in the dark does not seem very productive and only breeds contempt in my experience. Could you at least do a post detailing the offense and sentence in the thread where the offense was made and then lock it? That way, at least people will know what happened and it will avoid much of the queries and quell public debate. Though, I feel I have to tell you that on moderation forums I have seen, users tend to take it very seriously and only bring up real issues. Even on large forums with upwards of 50000 active users, it remains effective, but I acknowledge your concern.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:51:19 PM

Sithborg wrote:

what a laugh!!!
if thats the case why hasnt anyone told MDB why he is banned?
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:52:23 PM

I think a misconception is that suspensions are permanent. They are not.
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:53:25 PM

Sithborg wrote:
I think a misconception is that suspensions are permanent. They are not.

I am aware of that.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:54:35 PM

so he gets a message detailing it AFTER I raise cain over it?!?
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:56:09 PM

No, because I am human, and cannot respond to three different things at once.
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:58:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

defender390 wrote:

While I would normally agree with you, the public reaction has changed my mind. Keeping people in the dark does not seem very productive and only breeds contempt in my experience.

I'm honestly shocked by this reaction. From what I've seen before the holiday and this past day, the level of maturity on this board is extremely low, and when I heard about the bans I was not surprised at all.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, needs to take a step back and look at what they're posting to and doing on the forum and consider what kind of light it puts you in.

Not knowing anyone here personally, it reads like a bunch of 9-year-olds fighting over Yu-gi-oh. If you find that personally insulting, then the next time you go to post, look at what you've written a second or third time. Get up from the computer for 15 minutes, and come back and look at it again before you post it. Consider for a moment what impression it will give someone who barely knows you.

The quality of the forum starts with the users, not with the moderators.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:02:10 PM

Sithborg wrote:
No, because I am human, and cannot respond to three different things at once.

but you still havent told him why he was banned
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:04:25 PM

eMouse wrote:
defender390 wrote:

While I would normally agree with you, the public reaction has changed my mind. Keeping people in the dark does not seem very productive and only breeds contempt in my experience.

I'm honestly shocked by this reaction. From what I've seen before the holiday and this past day, the level of maturity on this board is extremely low, and when I heard about the bans I was not surprised at all.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, needs to take a step back and look at what they're posting to and doing on the forum and consider what kind of light it puts you in.

Not knowing anyone here personally, it reads like a bunch of 9-year-olds fighting over Yu-gi-oh. If you find that personally insulting, then the next time you go to post, look at what you've written a second or third time. Get up from the computer for 15 minutes, and come back and look at it again before you post it. Consider for a moment what impression it will give someone who barely knows you.

I certainly agree that responsibility falls on the users, but I really want the moderation process to be more accessable to a common user. I do not mean they should actually have a role in the process, but simply be able to see what is going on (excluding private moderator meetings). I would suggest starting with refraining from deleting posts and threads.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:05:59 PM

There are posts and threads that have no value in keeping. I am a fan of just locking most threads, though.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:07:36 PM

eMouse wrote:
defender390 wrote:

where this is true...
the mods can easily run any forum into the ground.
which is exactly what theyre doing!!!
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:08:57 PM

Sithborg wrote:
There are posts and threads that have no value in keeping. I am a fan of just locking most threads, though.

when it benifits you right?
Partof1
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:09:18 PM

Not really, the mods were only needed because a few users started trouble.