RegisterDonateLogin

Living proof that the Force has a sense of humor!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Alarming Development Options
Partof1
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:53:17 PM
Groups: Member

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
Partof1 wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:
eMouse wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:
none of those are insults...
confrontational maybee, but if your friend was bannedby a mod and given no reason as to why you would be looking for answers too right?

The tone of them is insulting, thus, they are insults.

Going on the forum and harassing a mod until you get yourself banned is not going to help your friend or his case. In fact, quite the opposite. It makes the moderator even more certain that they did the right thing.

tone is an audio term...
thus there is no tone in a typed message...
and I have not broken any rules to get banned

Tone is also a writing term, referring to the attitude with which something is read. A post is still read as insulting, condescending, etc based on word choice, and thus, is an insult.

so according to what you just said the tone would depend upon the reader...
in this case you, making it your tone not mine...
lets make it simple: if I wanted to say it in the way you have obviously misconstrued then I would be making direct insults and cursing...
but Im not...
please make a valid point already!!!

Nobody said you were cursing.

Tone can be misconstrued by a lazy reader, but ultimately it lies on the writer's shoulders, as said previously.

My point was that your points have been made insultingly, and should be modded.
curler88j
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:53:54 PM

i have an idea why doesn't everyone just calm down and be patient because im pretty sure sithborg is the only mod on right now and apparently has a lot to deal with.

not to change the subject but who are the other mods? i've only seen SB do anything
jew3
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:54:03 PM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
jew3 wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:
jew3 wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:
jew3 wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:

they were prob given a strait answer as to why also...
not the run around that MDB is getting!

There really is no pleasing you

not when mods claim that banned people get a reason as to why they are suspended but they dont!

Really?? I don't believe Scott gave no good reason. Prove it.

thats the point!
he didnt even give a reason!!!

Again, prove it! show me the proof

this is verbatum what was sent to MDB from sithborg:
You will need to talk to Shinja for specifics, but I do know he feels you violated your last chance.

Okay, what is the question there. MDB needs to talk to Shinja. Wait for that conversation to develop then complain.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:54:16 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Okay, so perhaps I assumed some mods would act like me. There are still kinks in the system, and it is very much trial by fire. There is a LOT of things being dealt with right now, so some things might have slipped through. This has not been an easy process for any of us.

That said, I think I am going to give this thread one last chance. Bring it back to what you feel you would like to see the mods do to increase "visibility", even though I do not see it getting beyond what we have right now. That is the last warning for this thread.
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:55:59 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here's something I learned from my time on the other side, as a mod.

Mods don't really care most of the time. A user can get away with a LOT as long as they don't get themselves noticed.

If they do get noticed, being apologetic and more careful can pretty much get them off scott free.

Becoming a repeat offender within a short time frame, making yourself the 'center of attention' or arguing with a moderator is a one way ticket to bansville.

I've seen a number of times where a moderator issued a near-meaningless warning that turned into a full-on ban because of the user's response.
Partof1
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:01:10 PM

Exactly, eMouse.

It's not a perfect system, but it can work if users are willing to work with mods. Stuff went wrong, feelings were hurt, but it will pass if allowed to. I trust enough mods know what they're doing, and if let alone to work it all out.
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:06:57 PM

Sithborg wrote:
That said, I think I am going to give this thread one last chance. Bring it back to what you feel you would like to see the mods do to increase "visibility", even though I do not see it getting beyond what we have right now. That is the last warning for this thread.

I've seen forums where instead of removing a post the moderator will edit it to remove the offending part (which is often the whole thing) and insert *this post has been edited for content* or some other brief explanation.

I suppose one of the downsides of the fact that posts or threads are pulled is people don't see the frequency or severity of the infraction, and as a result, don't have a context for a punishment when it happens, and the only context they can get is from word-of-mouth.

Unfortunately, a user who's been punished doesn't always give a full account to others about why they were punished, assuming they even fully understand why themselves.

The only other thing I could suggest is a warning system. I don't know if one exists for YAF, but I've seen it on many other forum systems. Minor infractions are worth some small value while major ones are worth significantly more. When a user gets over a certain threshold they're automatically suspended or banned.
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:11:46 PM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
You will need to talk to Shinja for specifics, but I do know he feels you violated your last chance.

It's pretty safe to go out on a limb then and say that Sithborg probably wasn't an admin directly involved in the ban, and jumping down his throat really won't help you at all.

Plus, the fact that the site owner is involved is a bad sign.

Take what I said about not wanting to get noticed by moderators and multiply it by 10,000 for the site owner.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:21:51 PM

Sorry about the inconvience, I have cleaned it up a bit after my last post. Last time. I am tired and feeling a little sick. Feel free to see where my patience is at the moment.
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:23:04 PM

threads back all bets are back on
Boris The Blade
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:24:34 PM

why was i banned for 5 minutes?
i havent even done anything and Im already being banned?
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:26:34 PM

Boris The Blade wrote:

You were not. Likely, you tried to access the thread while I was cleaning it, and I had moved it to an area where you can't access.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:30:23 PM

eMouse wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:

It's pretty safe to go out on a limb then and say that Sithborg probably wasn't an admin directly involved in the ban, and jumping down his throat really won't help you at all.

Plus, the fact that the site owner is involved is a bad sign.

Take what I said about not wanting to get noticed by moderators and multiply it by 10,000 for the site owner.

then if he doesnt know he shouldnt say that MDB was sent a message detailing why when he wasnt...
lmao
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:30:41 PM

Yeah, banning doesn't prevent you from reading the forum.

There's usually an admin-only area in every forum, and that includes a sort of 'bucket' where admins dump removed posts/threads instead of actually deleting them. Looks like the thread took a short trip into the bucket.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:32:24 PM

I suppose it is appropriate that this thread is in Off Topic, because it certainly went there.

I'll attempt to post something on topic.

IMO, the thread today that has caused all this (current) ruckus could probably have been moved back here after editing, and then locked. My basis for making this statement is that I was on the thread when it blew up, so I have a reasonably good idea what was said. However, I doubt doing so would have helped anything.

Sithborg has said that he usually prefers locking/editing threads over moving/deleting them permanently. I think this approach is the best way to go.

I think that the mods here are doing a good job considering the short amount of time they have had to try to mesh their efforts together.

Perhaps if we all look after each other - nicely - (as some in this thread have made a positive effort to do) the mods would not get so busy that they have to just lock threads to stop the bleeding.

Defender390's suggestions are not without merit, but I personally am of the opinion that reasonable privacy is a good thing. Stay the course, keep working ou the kinks.
Boris The Blade
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:32:24 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Boris The Blade wrote:

You were not. Likely, you tried to access the thread while I was cleaning it, and I had moved it to an area where you can't access.

unnacceptable.
you are cleaning this up, yes, but it still exists.
what we need here is a conclusion, not an editor.
regardless of how many times you want to clean this up, it will keep popping up.
its inevitable. whether its me, MDB, Jonathan, Matt, Jason, any of our friends in this REGION. this is a mess, and editing with a virtual broom will not clean it up
eMouse
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:32:51 PM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
then if he doesnt know he shouldnt say that MDB was sent a message detailing why when he wasnt...
lmao

You were the one demanding a response from him. It's very possible he got told that without being told the content of the message, or assumed that such a thing was done as it's what most mods would do.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:37:41 PM

Boris The Blade wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
Boris The Blade wrote:

unnacceptable.
regardless of how many times you want to clean this up, it will keep popping up.
its inevitable. whether its me, MDB, Jonathan, Matt, Jason, any of our friends in this REGION. this is a mess, and editing with a virtual broom will not clean it up

and this is exactly why tony quit last night...
too many chiefs on this site ruining it for everyone very slowly.
Im almost sorry I got you guys into this game!
Millertime
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:39:13 PM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
Boris The Blade wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
Boris The Blade wrote:

unnacceptable.

and this is exactly why tony quit last night...
too many chiefs on this site ruining it for everyone very slowly.
Im almost sorry I got you guys into this game!

Well if you don't like this site don't come to it go build your own and live by your rules...problem solved
Boris The Blade
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:40:48 PM

eMouse wrote:
dahatchetjeedi wrote:
lmao

You were the one demanding a response from him. It's very possible he got told that without being told the content of the message, or assumed that such a thing was done as it's what most mods would do.

MDB DID NOT get a reason to his banning until after he came back from work.
he was banned before he went in.
that was about 4 hours after the fact.
if you would like, i can get his personal info, log into his name, copy and paste all of the times of these messages, and post then here.
Jonathan has a valid point asking why sean was perma banned.
they are very good friends, we all are very good friends down here in the south.
seans banning puts a huge hinder on our tournemant we are supposed to be having on the 16th.
we are now speaking out against his ban because it is unwarranted, even if it is by the sites creator.
even if a site has its own sets of rules, it still has other rules that it needs to follow, and right now in this Juncture, it is not abiding by the guidelines of owning a forum.
Im sorry, but these are the facts.