RegisterDonateLogin

Voiced by Frank Oz.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mandalorian Pascifists Options
carnorjax1
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 4:35:45 PM
Groups: Member

Oh, the whole Mando-pascifist thing makes sense now. It's becuase the Death Watch are going to be the baddies in the next Clone Wars episode(looks really good)
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 5:01:33 PM

carnorjax1 wrote:
Oh, the whole Mando-pascifist thing makes sense now. It's becuase the Death Watch are going to be the baddies in the next Clone Wars episode(looks really good)

I think the whole Mando-pacifist thing is ridiculous. They can be mercenaries without a common, imperialist agenda, and the Death Watch can be dudes who actually WANT to go to war and reclaim the Mando heritage. But pacifists?! When I first heard that Boba Fett's armor was "Mandalorian," I immediately knew that meant they were badass mofos. Badass mofos are not pacifists, unless they're chinese monks, and Mandalorians are not monks.

/rant
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 5:11:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Because a culture is not allowed to have any diversity. That there can be 3+ different factions of the same "race".

Seriously, don't judge it till you actually see the show. There is quite obvious some war like Mandos left.

It makes perfect sense for a faction of Mandos to be pacifist, especially if their "home" planet is a nuclear wasteland.
Lachesis
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 5:48:06 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Because a culture is not allowed to have any diversity. That there can be 3+ different factions of the same "race".

Seriously, don't judge it till you actually see the show. There is quite obvious some war like Mandos left.

It makes perfect sense for a faction of Mandos to be pacifist, especially if their "home" planet is a nuclear wasteland.

i can safely assume that im glad that i haven't watch an episode of this "show"

qvos
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:32:38 AM

Lachesis wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Yes, I sense concerning whether SW would be better of or worse with or without the Clone Wars SHow. JK

I'm not in favor of the Mando changing but I haven't watched the show yet so I will reserve my judgement.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:48:08 AM

Lachesis wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Well, you are missing out. Yes, there are some bad episodes, and a few bland. But when the Clone Wars is good, it tells some amazing SW stories. So far, I have not seen anything that can't be fitted into continuity that is anything worse than what has been done before.
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:06:26 AM

pacifists aren't wimps.Sad
they know what damage war can cause and chose not to participate.ThumpUp
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:11:55 AM

DarthJak wrote:
pacifists aren't wimps.Sad
they know what damage war can cause and chose not to participate.ThumpUp

Agreed ThumbsUp

I haven't been disappointed with an episode yet, keyword yet. Have the first season on DVD. Haven't see all the new one's yet but I have seen most of them. Looking forward to them. ThumbsUp
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:15:52 AM

Sithborg wrote:

I second that! BlooMilk
yggral
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:56:03 AM

yes they look really ready to kill the like beat obi wan up bad in the commercial
carnorjax1
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:07:27 AM

I figure there are some Mandos who are sick of being at war for centuries and just want to farm on their war-torn planet
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:59:40 AM

carnorjax1 wrote:
I figure there are some Mandos who are sick of being at war for centuries and just want to farm on their war-torn planet

Sounds reasonable.
Blizzard Scout 1
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:43:58 PM

Mandalorians go to war when they have to.
In the LoTF books, alot of them are farmers and Miners, while some of them are actual soldiers. Like Fetts Supercommandos.
A Mandalorian 'seeming' like a pacifist is a bad thing for any person who may think they are indeed pacifists. Mandalorian women have been known to kill their husbands in rage, all the while not being a soldier.
My point is this, whether a Mando is a Pacifist or not is irrelevant. they can and will kill if under the right circumstances.
Lachesis
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:33:38 PM

NO.
Blizzard Scout 1
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:39:25 PM

Just my opinion of what I have read.
I don't know any Mandalorians personally, so all I can do is state my opinion.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 1:52:50 AM

Honestly, I would ignore Traviss's Mando glorification.
LoboStele
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 3:35:19 AM

It's not glorification. It's just focus on a culture that we hadn't had in print before. It only looks like 'glorification' to some people, simply because it is the primary focus of her novels, IMO. Without anything else in those stories, then of course they become the focus and tend to be slightly over-done. Also have to remember that ALL of the info in Travis' novels is from the CHARACTER's point of view, and not necessarily the author's.

The other thing to remember....in some way, Lucas sanctioned the Mando stories we have up to this point. And Travis' novels did NOT start the current way the Mandos are portrayed. The Open Seasons comic shows BOTH factions of the Mandos at war with each other, with the Death Watch being an extremist group, while the 'regular' Mandos were just standard mercenary types.

I'm not opposed to there being a faction of Mandos which are pacifists. I'm just irritated that they are changing SO much of the back-story for the Mandos just to fit the CW show. They are changing ALL the details about their home planet, details which were established back in the Marvel comics era. If it was just Travis' novels that were getting messed with, it wouldn't bother me THAT much (well maybe a little), but it's the fact that it seems they are obliterating ALL of the Expanded Universe background on the Mandos up to this point. Could have just come up with a new race altogether, or at least done something to make everything mesh.

So much for Filoni and his team trying to keep things in line with the rest of the EU. :(
eMouse
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 4:39:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth Chaos wrote:
carnorjax1 wrote:

I think the whole Mando-pacifist thing is ridiculous. They can be mercenaries without a common, imperialist agenda, and the Death Watch can be dudes who actually WANT to go to war and reclaim the Mando heritage. But pacifists?! When I first heard that Boba Fett's armor was "Mandalorian," I immediately knew that meant they were badass mofos. Badass mofos are not pacifists, unless they're chinese monks, and Mandalorians are not monks.

/rant

God forbid any race in Star Wars should show a little cultural depth.

Somehow I doubt that if there is a Mandalorian faction advocating pacifism, it's not going to be the same level of pacifism as the Lurmen.
SquelchDog
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 8:37:40 AM

LoboStele wrote:
I'm not opposed to there being a faction of Mandos which are pacifists. I'm just irritated that they are changing SO much of the back-story for the Mandos just to fit the CW show. They are changing ALL the details about their home planet, details which were established back in the Marvel comics era. If it was just Travis' novels that were getting messed with, it wouldn't bother me THAT much (well maybe a little), but it's the fact that it seems they are obliterating ALL of the Expanded Universe background on the Mandos up to this point. Could have just come up with a new race altogether, or at least done something to make everything mesh.

Ya, I see where your coming from Lobo, point well made. I haven't read all the comic's, I have a few and that was the impression I had as well. I enjoy the EU as well, what little I have read.

Blizzard Scout 1
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 9:42:08 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Honestly, I would ignore Traviss's Mando glorification.

But it portrays Mandalorians so well.
Not to mention, she has done a very good job writing them into EU.