RegisterDonateLogin

Helps build strong bones and healthy initiative rolls.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Regional 2016 SIGN-UP and REPORTING thread Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:51:49 PM
Groups: Member

Okay, the standings after FOUR rounds are posted!

Semi-final matches are also posted:
1st vs 4th: Jason Kiernan vs Trevor Payton
2nd vs 3rd: Oliver Simpson vs Laura Kiernan
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:57:27 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Now honestly its my turn to raise a bit of a fuss. Because we went an extra round it could cost me my spot in the playoffs due to being paired into a horrible matchup for me, and I personally feel that this event should cut to a top 8 to make parties that were slighted by the extra round happy. I'm not much of one to put up a fuss, but I feel like because I was at work and didn't get a vote, I'm the one left holding the bag. Just my take.

I'm sorry Matt, but this has nothing to do with anyone being slighted. My Round 4 matchup was incredibly difficult as well. The only reason I got 1pt in my match vs Jason was because he rolled a 1 for init in the last round of the game, which gave me the chance for 1 more attack. Without that, you and I and obikenobi1 would all be tied with 7pts and 2-2, so I'm not sure who would've had the 4th place finish.

The reason we added a 4th round was simply and only because I had misunderstood how the tournament structure was supposed to work. All these years, I had simply thought that we kept on playing until we reached the point where there was only 1 undefeated player, and I had thought that we made our cut to the Top 4 when that happened. I was wrong, and so we added the 4th round because according to the Swiss format, you play 4 rounds when there are 9-16 players, which we have.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 4:37:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

BM wasn't working for me this morning, so I tried to hit Darth O on Gamers to schedule our match. It will be much harder for me to schedule after about noon on Sunday, so hopefully we can set something up in a next couple of days.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 8:24:29 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
BM wasn't working for me this morning, so I tried to hit Darth O on Gamers to schedule our match. It will be much harder for me to schedule after about noon on Sunday, so hopefully we can set something up in a next couple of days.
I understand.

Honestly, to me the timing in these playoff rounds isn't nearly as important as in the Swiss rounds. The ENTIRE reason why we have a match-completion deadline at all is so that the whole tournament doesn't get held up by one person's unavailability. If someone doesn't get their Swiss game in on time you can easily have the whole tournament (in this case 8 or even 9 people) being held up or even stalled completely because of just 1 match. However, in the semi-final and final you have 2 (or at most 3) people being held up, and then it's also often easier for those last 2 finalists to schedule a single game.

Therefore--and since this is the first time doing the Vassal Regional this way (in a 1-week-per-round format)--I think it might be a good idea to remove the hard deadline for completing these playoff games. It makes little difference to me, personally; I expect that Jason and I will probably be able to play our game before Tuesday...but as far as I'm concerned, Laura and Oliver don't really need to rush it if their schedules get in the way.

I invite the other players in the semi-final round to comment too, but unless one of you raises an objection, I'm willing to entirely drop the match-completion deadline for these playoff games. Please comment if you'd like.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 8:55:45 AM

That's fine, but actually I think we might be able to play tonight. I'll post if that doesn't work out.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 4:30:35 PM

Jason and I are playing tomorrow night so I think we're all set then.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 7:13:24 PM

Doesn't look like the game is happening tonight, after all. We will keep trying to work it out.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 6:12:42 PM

Played my semi-final game against Trevor

I won 201-162

Trevor won map and picked my map. I set up on the right this time with my guys spaced out for missiles. Trevor on the left. Rd 1 was just positioning and getting set up. Trevor did get Qunilin to gambit to take the early lead.

Rd 2
I went first and popped out with #1 and killed Scorch and ducked back. Trevor towed Serra over and squashed #1. I turned Atris on again for rd 2, there was some more positioning battles (he ran Cin over to R2 and I did some setting up for future swaps), I swapped #2 up and rolled up and roasted Serra, and he moved Quin up to block my planned escape route. He got gambit again score was 55-42

Rd 3
I again went first and #2 popped R2 (who had been hooked to Cin) and ran to what I thought was a safe square. I miscounted and he could get Cin there (with a FP) but rolled a 1 so had to use Quinlin to come over and lightning to finish off #2. Atris powered up again, and we did some more positioning. Jabba was almost up to gambit by this time. He picked off my uggie and I swapped in and took out Cin with #3. And we both got Gambit 122-77

Rd 4
I went first again and killed off Marn and another uggie then moved far enough away so quin couldnt get me this time. More running around and killing stuff, then I swapped Atris in, ran 8 and Crit on Blizz. score 166-98

Rd 5
I finished off Blizz. Then Trevor moved Quin up, crit (18 with Vapaad), and atari style, killing Atris and taking 30 on the riposte. I killed his Rdoian Diplomat, swapped in #3 and did 20 to Quin (now down to 60). Finally got Jabba into Gambit. 181-139

Rd 6
I used Thrawn early to kill the Peace Brigade Thug and swap the handmaiden out of Trouble. He killed the swapper, then moved Quin into gambit. I ran most of the rest of my guys up. Jabba now in the middle of his own map. 191-152

Rd 7
He runs Quin out and does 30 to Jabba. Everyone of my guys shot at Quin and missed. The handmaiden swapped up and tried to finish him off, hit one to knock quin to 40. I win on gambit at the end of the round 201-162

We did play the init to round 8 and the handmaiden finished off Quin (needing all 4 attacks).

Good luck to Laura and Oliver in the other semi-finals.
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:31:44 PM

Darth O beats UrbanShmi about 162-105 on Cantina.

Laura won map and chose Cantina. I set up on the right. First round was the usual positioning until Laura had activated everyone without turning on ABM. I towed Yoda, ran him up to the door just above gambit, swapped in Momaw, moved him 6 into gambit, and used War Throat twice to kill the OR Senator and a mouse. He also did 20 to Atton, Shoaneb, the Covenant Defender and Satele. Score: 27-10 to me.

Round 2 I won initiative so War Throated twice more to bring Atton down to 40, Shoaneb to 50, the Covenant Defender to 40, and Satele to 60. Bastila then turned on ABM. Having done his job and more, Momaw then died to Atton. The majority of the round was positioning. I locked the door above gambit with the R7. Yoda then used a FP to move 23 into gambit and miss Laura's only uggie with a 1. Then the Flametrooper missed his shot on it, and so did Blizz. This meant I had to lock the door below gambit with R2. Score: 37-35 to me.

Round 3 Laura won initiative and unlocked the door above gambit with Atton and sacrificed an XT-6 to let Shoaneb base Yoda in the first phase. She missed her first attack and made the 2nd to bring him down to 130 with a failed LS block. Yoda then galloped away to safety to the rest of this squad behind the private room, taking another 30 from an AoO and making a LS block. R2 then towed Blizz to just outside the transient quarters, expecting to flame Shoaneb this round. Instead Laura moved Satele up to just below the private room. She took 40 from Blizz's and the Flametrooper's flames since ABM was still on. Evazan healed Yoda back up to 130, and Bastila left ABM on. Score: 45-40 to Laura.

Round 4 is where the main action happened. Laura won initiative and killed Blizz with Satele. R2 flew away behind his squad and the Flametrooper flamed Satele for the kill. The Covenant Defender killed the Flametrooper in response. I tapped a few uggies and whatnot and Laura activated everyone. Bastila didn't have the force to keep meditating, so Evazan killed Shoaneb with 60 from from surgery. Yoda killed the Covenant Defender with a gallop and an actual attack. Score: 126-86 to me.

Round 5 Laura won initiative and killed Evazan with Atton. The avoid defeat failed. A Rodian and a Gran managed to bring Atton down to 20. The Klat Captain then killed the Rodian. Panaka based Atton and hit for 20. Atton failed the avoid defeat with a reroll. This put me ahead at 162-105. Laura called the game as time was up. If we had finished the round Yoda would probably have killed the Klat Captain to make the score 190-105.

This was a fun match. Laura is a great, easy-going opponent. Her squad is super good, too. I was scared of the XT-6 + Senator combo, so the Senator was #1 on my hit list. Momaw was definitely my MVP, killing the Senator and putting 40 damage on all 4 main characters.

I look forward to the Handmaidens rematch! We'll get a whole game this time I'm sure.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 2:11:40 AM

Yeah, it was a fun match. Losing the Senator that early hurt a lot, as it cut down on my damage output substantially. We were talking about it after the game, and I'm not sure there's much I would have done differently--even if I'd popped ABM to prevent the first round swap, I would have been dealing with the double flamethrowers that much sooner. And the Senator pretty much wasn't safe anywhere. A well played game by Oliver, for sure.
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:04:44 PM

Darth O vs Urbanjedi in the FINAL of the Vassal Regional 2016

Jason won map roll and chose Jabba's Palace. I set up in the top right. Jason threw a Handmaiden into gambit at the end of his round. I towed Yoda up, ran him close to the Handmaiden, swapped in the Flametrooper and killed it with fire. I then moved it behind the wall in gambit. Score: 32-0 to me.

Jason let me go first in the second round, so I ran the Flametrooper to the top of the map behind a wall. At the end of the round Jason moved Atris and another Handmaiden into gambit. I towed Blizz in, unlocked the lower door behind gambit and killed the 2nd Handmaiden with flamethrower again. I then swapped in Momaw and ran him out of gambit to relative safety. Score: 54-10 to me.

Jason let me go first in the 3rd round, so I flew R2 back into the top right room. Jason then moved Atris up to the top door. The flametrooper put 40 on her and Blizz did no damage with double missiles thanks to a reroll. Thrawn then swapped in a Handmaiden and killed Tarpals with accurate shot. She missed her first shot needing a 7, so no one else was harmed. Yoda then killed the last Handmaiden after rerolling his 1. Panaka missed a shot on Veers and then swapped in Evazan to bring him down to 40. Score: 86-30 to me.

Jason started the 4th with 20 on Evazan from a rodian. Evazan then brought Veers down to 10. Panaka killed the rodian and swapped in a rodian of his own for Evazan. An uggie then killed that rodian with a crit. When Jason had finished his round, Yoda went for his first real gallop. He killed an uggie (another crit) and Veers, missed a rodian, and did 20 to Mas and Jabba. Momaw killed the last rodian and brough Jabba down to 50. Score: 126-30 to me.

Jason started the 5th round with a mighty swing and a miss with Jabba (another 1). Yoda then killed Mas and put 20 on Atris, 40 on Thrawn with gallop + normal attack (after rerolling a 1) and 40 on Jabba with a crit. Atris hit a riposte to bring Yoda down to 50. Panaka swapped in a rodian which died straight away. After Jason had finished his round, Momaw war throated and the Flametrooper and Blizz flamed Atris and Thrawn to end the game 230-36.

Thanks to Thereisnotry for running the tournament and everyone who participated. I had a great time with a fun field of squads. I look forward to the next one!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:04:31 AM

Congrats Darth O on being one of the very few who could take down Jason the Juggernaut of 2016.

Interestingly enough, your squad won 2 regionals this week - Jason also went undefeated with Yoda throws his toys in the NW Ohio Regional.

Tough squad, well played.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:34:02 PM

Thank you! I built the squad a year or two ago with Lobot and Qui-Gon FS with very little success. Switching them out for activations and Momaw in the base squad gave me more flexibility ironically, due to outactivating each squad. I could either trade the flametrooper or Momaw for opponents' pieces or gallop and swap in fodder. My favorite part of the squad is that you don't rely much on rolls. As long as you stay ahead on acts you can always do 20-60 guaranteed damage. I wonder if we'll see much of the squad at GenCon.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:34:22 AM

The squad is a beast. J was saying how differently it plays from normal Yobuck swap, and I commented that it's more or less an out-activate and smash squad, but with Yobuck. Who ever heard of such a thing?

Anyway, congrats to DarthO on a great squad and a great tourney!