RegisterDonateLogin

Jabba has no time for smugglers who drop their Bloo Milk at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Buffacon December 8th Buffalo, NY (Update 3.1) Options
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:55:40 PM
Groups: Member

If he makes it up of course...
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:58:55 PM

I wanted to mix up the format to really get the players thinking about the match dynamics. When your out in the cold riding you have time to think unencumbered.
pntkd2
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:13:55 PM

My friend and I want to go, but would need a ride. we would pay for some of the gas.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:20:04 PM

pntkd2 wrote:
My friend and I want to go, but would need a ride. we would pay for some of the gas.

Where are you located?
jak
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:25:19 PM

pntkd2 wrote:

Cool where do you live?Confused
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 9:32:37 AM

I am getting excited about this event. I just have 3 trophies to finish and I am done. after thanksgiving I hope to get a solid count of who is coming so I can get some details in place. I posted on a x-wing forum and it looks like we might have a guy or two come out for that part of the night.
DieAndBeMetal
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:01:21 AM

If someone would be going through the west carolinas, or east TN (I'm in Johnson City), I'd be interested in maybe going.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:36:13 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Ok then after doing a half century in 30 degree windchill, I've come up with the format for the BuffaCon Epic 500.

EVENT FORMAT

Map list: Restricted, plus MoM Command & Simulation decks
Piece restriction: None, BHC will be available.
Activations: Up to a max of sixteen (16)
Commander effects: Limited to four (4)
Gambit: Can only be gained by your Epic piece and will count for 100 points.
No Reinforcements nor Reserves will be allowed.

Hopefully we'll see at strong turnout for BuffaCon and will be able to get this event in on Sunday.

An important addendum to Epic gambit that I forgot to include...

First as it pertains to Spy. If MJS, GH ends her turn in gambit, then this will be considered a hostile action and will therefore negate the benefit of the SA. Second TPM SA functions as normal.

Hinkbert
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 6:55:49 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:

An important addendum to Epic gambit that I forgot to include...

First as it pertains to Spy. If MJS, GH ends her turn in gambit, then this will be considered a hostile action and will therefore negate the benefit of the SA. Second TPM SA functions as normal.

When I first read this I thought: "Why is everyone always hating on Spry?"........then I reread it. Makes sense now. BigGrin
jak
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:57:43 AM

DieAndBeMetal wrote:
If someone would be going through the west carolinas, or east TN (I'm in Johnson City), I'd be interested in maybe going.

can U get to Columbus Ohio?Blink
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:36:03 PM

Upon further discussion over on Gamers... In order to maintain a level playing field, "The Phantom Menace" will lose his TPM SA while in the gambit zone.
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 6:01:48 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Upon further discussion over on Gamers... In order to maintain a level playing field, "The Phantom Menace" will lose his TPM SA while in the gambit zone.

What happens if he leaves gambit? will he regain his TPM SA?

also I wonder if we will see any "The Ganner" squads that day. bring the ruined base or rancor pit and you might be able to hide your gambit piece for 2-3 rounds that is alot of gambit points right there. granted its not a fun way to win but it might work.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 6:52:54 PM

"While in gambit zone," is a null zone for TPM only. If somebody wants to plant The Ganner in gambit, then adjust play to counter that strategy. Emplacement only forces the other Epic to get into gambit on R1 or go and get a three point victory. Lastly, for the Epic gambit format the Epic piece's entire based must occupy gambit valid spaces to score.
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:21:48 PM

I played my 300 point team last week and felt the need to make a few rule changes for this tournament. Input is welcome, so please comment on these rules.

300 point Tournament Rules
1 Hour & 15 Minute Rounds (also I need a ruling does play stop when the clock stops or when the round is finished?)

18 Max Activations including reserves however you can still get any reinforcements you roll (so if you roll 11 with lobot you still get those pieces) Thought about making this 20 but it takes so long.

5 Max of one single character (i.e. Mouse Droids, ugnaughts, brutes)

Gambit is 15 points and can only be obtained by a piece 15 points or higher
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:40:31 PM

pastorbudwine@mac.com wrote:

300 point Tournament Rules

18 Max Activations including reserves however you can still get any reinforcements you roll (so if you roll 11 with lobot you still get those pieces) Thought about making this 20 but it takes so long.

5 Max of one single character (i.e. Mouse Droids, ugnaughts, brutes)

Can't say I'm enthused about the 18 max acts. ThumbDown If you know how to run your squad then timing shouldn't be a consideration/hinderance to you or your opponent.

Next the single character 5 max limit. Why? Confused I fear this further limits squad design options in conjunction with the 18 act max. Not to mention that it accentuates the OR advantage via ABM.

As I see it the 300 is merely an extension of the 200 and shouldn't be limited IMO but it's your call PB.
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:00:56 PM

I want this to be fun for everyone, without that many limitations which is why I wanted some input. I would be fine with not having any act limits. most squads I have seen have had no more than 21 acts anyway. my thought behind the max 5 of any single character was to try mix up squad creations that way someone isn't bringing 10 shadow troopers or mando scouts, if most people feel this isn't needed I am completely fine with not having this rule either. the only two rules I am really kinda firm on are the 1hr 15min time limit and 15 pt gambit. the two you had questions I could do with or without to be honest.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:43:26 PM

I'm fine with whatever limitations you want to impose. 75 minutes is probably necessary. And I like the 15pt Gambit idea...it will work well with the 300pt format.

I think that restricting squads to no more than 5 of a certain character will help to prevent those idiotic mouse-droid walls, and I'm happy about that restriction. However, it also prevents the Soviet Trooper Swarm that Gerry is so fond of, and the various other swarm-type squads that people might consider running (ie, Poggle).

As for the end of 75 minutes: players finish the round that they are currently in. If the players have just rolled their init dice and then you call "Time!" 10 seconds later, they get to finish their entire round...but that wouldn't prevent the judge from standing imposingly over them and telling them to speed it up. ;)
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:49:02 AM

I'll go on record and say I'm not running either iteration of the Naboo but the these restrictions nerf at least three other squads I was considering.

I get what your trying to do with the maximums but as Trev said it then effectively eliminates the Naboo, Poggle Bombs, Nom Bombs and to lesser extent hinders the Aces, Storm Commandos and Scouts. As for the MD wall pack, as I stated earlier in the thread, simply pack Wuher and watch in delight as 50% of your opponent's wall goes poof.

Of course this is simply my opinion and I just think we need to weigh the impact on squad design against this format, as it is different to the Epic where certain restrictions are necessary. I agree with you PB the on average a "typical" 300 would fall somewhere in the 18-24 act range but there are those outliers that could reach upwards of 30 and in the case of the Poggle Bombs dare I say upwards of 40. I don't want to see any player to have an NPE; so discussion and input for other players is important, as is their understanding of their squad dynamics.

Offically my vote would be NO Act or Character maximums; if Judge/Player consensus deems should be, then I would respectfully propose a 24 act/6 character max limit.

In the final analysis you have the the last word on the format PB and I'll support any decision you make.
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:43:38 AM

You all make really good points. I know personally I would hate to play a squad with 40acts. I just don't see how it would be possible to get more that 2 rounds. Unless your a pro but on that note I doubt you would bring a squad like that if you were not. However after posting this last night I realized most people have there squads made and having them go back to the drawing board now to rework their squads might be a little mean with less than 10 days to go. With that said we will have 1 hour 15 minute rounds and gambit is 15points. We will see if there needs to be any restrictions placed on acts and characters for next year as we play the event this year
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:57:44 AM

pastorbudwine@mac.com wrote:
I know personally I would hate to play a squad with 40acts. I just don't see how it would be possible to get more that 2 rounds.

Agreed 100%, that would be an NPE for me 4sure but how tempting. Just kidding!