thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:04:06 AM
Groups: Member

Wow, nicely done! You sure did whet my appetite! Drool
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:40:58 AM

Those look amazing!

I had put away my "insane squad that I think would win this tournament" for a "still powerful but much more fun" squad.

But now seeing those trophies I am rethinking that . . .

But yet again I am just heading to work, won't get off till midnight, then I have to wake up at 6am for the drive to OH where I am meeting up with Jak and Juiceman. So I won't have time to remake the squad. Oh well. This will still be fun.

the highest point cost character in my 300 pt squad is one I haven't used in YEARS.
jak
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:01:32 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Wow, nicely done! You sure did whet my appetite! Drool

I'm taking 1 of those puppies home!ThumbsUp

T minus oneCool
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:42:26 PM

So I am playing a game with chris right now and we were discussing how many points you need to kill for a 3 point win? should it be the full 300? 250? 225? or 200?
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:04:55 PM

pastorbudwine@mac.com wrote:
So I am playing a game with chris right now and we were discussing how many points you need to kill for a 3 point win? should it be the full 300? 250? 225? or 200?

Hmmm. Good question. We are playing with 50% more points, but only 25% more time. So by that logic perhaps 250.

But regardless, it's always the judges discretion (In other words the judge can always award a 3 pt win, such as if the opponent only has a lone commander still in the starting area left)

But having a number as a baseline is always good.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:14:24 PM

Yes, I think that 250 should be a 3pt win if the time runs out. Regardless, people will simply have to have the "play fast or get just 2pts" mindset for this tourney.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:00:47 PM

BTW - I have an extra double sided map from Jedi-cartographer. It's laminated! Outlaw city and sinkhole planet landing pad.
$20 for the first taker
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:23:49 PM

Great job Luke for winning the 300pt tournamant. Can't wait to see you guys in February
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:38:58 PM

Results from the weekend events....

Friday Night Follies 100pt Constructed - Tim Ballard (can't remember too intoxicated)
Saturday 300pt constructed - Luke Cook (Imperial, Storm Commandos)
Sunday Epic 500 - Trevor Peyton (OR, Revan)
All three days - Fun had by all! ThumbsUp

Will post up more on how the Epic 500 mods played out this week.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:59:00 PM

Yes, 500 was a load of fun!

However, my squad wasn't with Epic Revan. I used Epic Hoth, and had to beat 2 Epic Revans (Jaq and Hinkbert) on my path to victory. Both games were really close; that Epic Revan is a beast...but since the Hoth squads have more shooter-reliance...and since Epic Revan has zero defense vs shooters, the shooty-Hoth squads will have a bit of an advantage against him. The biggest difference I saw in the mirror match was that Bastilla could easily start ABM in round 1 and not run out of FPs, because she can use Revan's FP to do it. The Epic Revan is definitely tournament-worthy though! My final game vs Josh/Hinkbert could easily have gone the other way if a few saves were different.
Hinkbert
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:26:50 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, 500 was a load of fun!

However, my squad wasn't with Epic Revan. I used Epic Hoth, and had to beat 2 Epic Revans (Jaq and Hinkbert) on my path to victory. Both games were really close; that Epic Revan is a beast...but since the Hoth squads have more shooter-reliance...and since Epic Revan has zero defense vs shooters, the shooty-Hoth squads will have a bit of an advantage against him. The biggest difference I saw in the mirror match was that Bastilla could easily start ABM in round 1 and not run out of FPs, because she can use Revan's FP to do it. The Epic Revan is definitely tournament-worthy though! My final game vs Josh/Hinkbert could easily have gone the other way if a few saves were different.

Or if I just had left Figgy alive (stupid impulsive Jedi Hunter.....)
jak
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 12:32:06 AM

pastorbudwine@mac.com wrote:
Great job Luke for winning the 300pt tournamant. Can't wait to see you guys in February

I'm just gonna stay to packed for FROSTYCON.

Now I know, you don't need to bring,SWM's to a SWM's toury weekend at Lincoln & Euclid in Lockport
Heather proved that to me.
we played games with the goofiest titles ever!
cards against humanityOMG ThumbsUp Scared LOL
deluxe weed Blink Huh Tongue Unsure
kittensGlare in a blenderOMG
pooThumbDown New Cursing
nuts Confused RollEyes
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 8:39:47 AM

Previews for BuffaCon!
Boss Nass
35 Points

80 HP
16 Def
+5 Atk
10 Dam

Unique, Melee
Booming Voice
Speed 4
Gungan Reserves 20 (If you roll an 20 for initiative, you can add up to 20 points of non-Unique Gungan characters from any faction to your squad immediately before your first activation of the round.)
Rapport (Gungans on your squad cost 1 less)

Commander Effect:
At the start of the skirmish, choose 1 allied Gungan character; that ally gains Bombad General [Once per round, at the end of this character's turn, this character can designate one enemy that it can see. For the rest of this round, allied Gungans can target this character, ignoring cover.]
Whenever a non-unique Gungan ally would be defeated, it can make a save of 16. If the save succeeds, that ally returns to play in its squad's setup area with its original hit points.

Domain Shai Subaltern
Yuuzhan Vong
Cost: 29
HP: 60
Def: 16
Atk: +8
Dam: 10

SA: Melee Attack
Double Attack
Charging Fire
Force Immunity
Synergy (+4 Atk when within 6 of an ally named Shedao Shai)
Razorbug
Embrace of Pain
Vonduun Crab Armor 11

CE: Yuuzhan Vong followers gain Charging Fire [replaces turn: can move up to double speed, then attack].
Non-unique Yuuzhan Vong followers whose name contains Warrior gain Double Attack.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:24:51 PM

It was such a blast!

Thanks to Corey (Pastorbudwine) for putting it all together.

Thanks to Gerry (and Mrs. Russell) for the amazing hospitality!

Thanks to Jak and Juiceman for the lift to and from (between Akron and Buffalo)

Thanks to Jak and the Mrs for letting me stay Sun night so I wouldn't die on the way home!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:29:44 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:

Friday Night Follies 100pt Constructed - Tim Ballard (can't remember too intoxicated)

--Kiss My Assassins--
20 General Whorm Loathsom
60 Klatooinian Assassin x5
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Mouse Droid x4

(100pts. 11 activations)

went undefeated in a short swiss only event. Like all 100pt tournies, it was a bit of a crapshoot, and matchups always dictate greatly. This is a deceptively tough squad. Let's take 5 really good shooters with +12 base attack, cloaked, self-destruct 20, and +10 dam vs jedi and give them twin. Simple but effective.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:31:46 PM

For my 300 pt squad I was going to do Lancer + poggle bomb madness, but decided not to.

A) I wanted to do a squad idea that wouldn't work in 200 (not just a 200pt squad with 100 added on)

B) Both for myself and my opponents it wouldn't be as fun.

Probably would have won with it, but I have no regrets.

Instead, I took 2nd with this:

--The time has come . . . execute Order 66.--
62 Emperor Palpatine, Sith Lord
56 Clone Trooper on Speeder x2
28 General Weir
27 Lobot
20 Admiral Piett
34 Storm Commando x2
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
11 Admiral Ozzel
10 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike
8 Mas Amedda
3 Mouse Droid
6 Rodian Brute x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(300pts. 17 activations)

Yes, it's still strafe, but it plays MUCH different. You simply cannot make a decent 200pt squad from the pieces in this squad. The concept only works at 300+.

You'll notice I have no Thrawn at all. I swap out Palpatine for Grand Admiral Thrawn every time. That's right - I throw away 25pts right off the bat.

Why? Republic speeders are much better. They still get the bonus from Weir, but vs the Scout Trooper on Speeder they have + 3 attack, + 1 defense, +20 hp, and speed 12 instead of 6. That means they can strafe 24 squares, or strafe 12 and then attack. Much better. G.A. Thrawn gives them all +3, +3, so you are looking at +21 defense (25 in cover). Then I have Grand Admiral Rulf Yage for cunnning and Amiral Piett for opportunist, which means always shooting +15 for 30dam twin. Hot stuff. Double bubble for pesky force users (I'm looking at you Bastila), and 2 storm commandos to nail some other stuff.

Its downfalls include being outactivated -17 base (23 max with Lobot) is not super high for 300. Deathshots and self destruct are also rough. Although I beat republic deathshots in round 1 mainly due to me locking his commander effects in a room and then strafing the pilots. It's the catch 22 of deathshot squads: Even with Mas, you have to trace a path to commander effects. If you can trace a path - my super fast flying strafers can get to your commanders (or at least lock a door so you can no longer trace a path).

I went undefeated in Swiss, beating Luke in the last round. That was maybe not the best for me, since he wised up and brought better reinforcements in the finals. That + him winning map = doom for me. He played great and earned the win.

Imps at the top in 300!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:32:56 PM

500pt Epic

--Three Kings--
153 Exar Kun, Dark Lord of the Sith
142 Darth Bane in Orbalisk Armor
114 Lord Krayt
17 Marka Ragnos, Dark Force Spirit
20 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike x2
9 Wuher
24 R7 Astromech Droid x3
12 Gran Raider x3
9 Rodian Brute x3

(500pts. 16 activations)

So 100pts for gambit (gained by epic only) was too juicy to ignore. My concept - get to gambit round 1, and hold it. I chose a map (Rhen Var) which is hard to get to Gambit, but I still could. That means I fly the swoop in and transfer Exar to gambit, and I am up 100pts to 10 going into round 2. I then just had to hold my ground. Bane comes into gambit round 2, and then I have quadruple sith sorcery (both have it with MotF2). I also have Lord Krayt to outactivate (Dodanna's CE), in addition to him zipping in and out killing nuisances (he has transfer and MotF2 as well.) Once Bane is in gambit, I can leave gambit with either epic and kill stuff while I still gain the 100pts each round. 3 Kings, 3 override, a ghost for added defense, and scrubs for transfer fodder. Wuher is a great transfer piece that cannot be shot w/o accurate.

I lost in round 1 to my squads achilles heel - Revan Ridiculous and his OR cronies. I thought I could take OR (and I think I could have taken Trevors build), but didn't count on all Josh brought. His Bastila + Revan's "always win initiative" combo of SAs means he always went last. He didn't make gambit first round, but he brought in Kavar at the end of the second round and severed Bane's FPs at the start of the third round. That great move that I couldn't prevent, coupled with horrible saves (orbalisk armor, etc), a few placement errors on my part, and The Exile's force defense neutered my squad. Bummer of a match round 1.

I went on to win out after that and took third.

Epic tourney highlights include:

- Having Epics in gambit every round of the tournament. EVERY ROUND.
- Using Exar to make 7 massassi mutants in one turn
- Having Krayt kill Thrawn in a room in the back row in round 2
- Simply using 2 epics (awesome!) and a "near epic" Krayt (extra awesome!)
- Carnage

Not a bad weekend, if it were a "Jedi Challenge" sorta thing I daresay I won it.

1st in 100
2nd in 300
3rd in 500.

More than anything I had a blast. Thanks again everyone!
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:49:14 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

--Kiss My Assassins--
60 Aqualish Warrior x5
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Mouse Droid x4

(100pts. 11 activations)

went undefeated in a short swiss only event. Like all 100pt tournies, it was a bit of a crapshoot, and matchups always dictate greatly. This is a deceptively tough squad. Let's take 5 really good shooters with +12 base attack, cloaked, self-destruct 20, and +10 dam vs jedi and give them twin. Simple but effective.

It took me a while to figure out, but you're talking about Klaatoinian Assassins, right? That is a nice squad at 100.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:57:28 PM

TheHutts wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

--Kiss My Assassins--
60 Aqualish Warrior x5
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Mouse Droid x4

(100pts. 11 activations)

It took me a while to figure out, but you're talking about Klaatoinian Assassins, right? That is a nice squad at 100.

LOL, Yup! Silly no v-set 4 bloomilk! Edited
Hinkbert
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 6:00:01 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

I lost in round 1 to my squads achilles heel - Revan Ridiculous and his OR cronies. I thought I could take OR (and I think I could have taken Trevors build), but didn't count on all Josh brought. His Bastila + Revan's "always win initiative" combo of SAs means he always went last. He didn't make gambit first round, but he brought in Kavar at the end of the second round and severed Bane's FPs at the start of the third round. That great move that I couldn't prevent, coupled with horrible saves (orbalisk armor, etc), a few placement errors on my part, and The Exile's force defense neutered my squad. Bummer of a match round 1.

I went on to win out after that and took third.

Epic tourney highlights include:

- Having Epics in gambit every round of the tournament. EVERY ROUND.
- Using Exar to make 7 massassi mutants in one turn
- Having Krayt kill Thrawn in a room in the back row in round 2
- Simply using 2 epics (awesome!) and a "near epic" Krayt (extra awesome!)
- Carnage

Revan is ridiculous. Bastila having access to his force points means ABM goes constantly and the ability to basically always win init is super strong, plus you throw in Kavar with his ability to completely nerf someone really easily at the beginning of round 3 through Sever Force is just dirty.

The only epics can score gambit rule was certainly interesting, and it basically let me "moneyball" a win against Nader's Vong squad (winning with math rocks!). I put Revan in gambit round 1 on Cantina, kept him alive for 4 rounds and made sure to get an additional 100 points. So I won at the end of round 4 with acquiring gambit. This was good since Nader's squad was going to ruin me the next round via Czulkang.

The OR continues to remain strong in 500 (which is definitely my second favorite format after 200) and even though I lost to Trevor's Hoth OR squad it was incredibly close (and yes killing Figrin D'an mattered, grumble grumble) and I think Revan Redeemed can definitely win at 500.