RegisterDonateLogin

If you've never had Bloo Milk before, you won't have never had it again.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

NZ Vassal Tournament Options
Dr Daman
Posted: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 12:53:25 PM
Groups: Member

With the above now all cleared up, its on to the semi final matches.

Semi Final 1

Dr Daman vs fingersandteeth

Semi Final 2

TimmerB123 vs Sharron

Good luck guys
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:50:13 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

That's one heck of a Top 4!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 12:49:36 AM

Wow, just finished a chess match of a game vs Sharron. It's 3:18am my time - so I'm a little woozy, but I'll try and spell out what happened. Not much at all actually.

I played:

--Blue Asses--
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
21 General Veers
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
12 Gha Nachkt
60 Klatooinian Assassin x5
11 Grand Moff Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
7 R4 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x3

and brought in a Rodian, an R7, and 5 mice

Aaron played:

--Daala in Her Prime V2.0--
27 Admiral Daala
20 Admiral Piett
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
60 Raxus Prime Trooper x12
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

This brought us even in activations.

He won map roll and we played on Asteroid base - which suited me just fine (the map has a lot of doors for my triple override, and lots of cover fro my Klats). I take left (with the bunker that I could lock down tight if need be).

Unsurprisingly, we both swapped in ozzel. This wound up hurting Aaron in the end.

First round (after we both spin a bunch of crap), he slowly and carefully starts to advance. I had him go first, so I can go last. I do some fancy shuffling and risky LoS to get a 1 square wide door on his side open. I swapped in a Klat to ping one of his uggies. Now I had activation advantage! He could have pressed with the repulser sled to take out my R7, but then I would have killed his sled, and that trade would have been in my favor points wise. So he played it cool and actually backed up with the sled to a nice safe corner. Next round I luck out and roll a 6. I could have taken 4 troopers just for activations, but I decided to take an Imp Engineer and a Death Star Gunner - BOTH have splash. Spread those Raxus out now mister! Though - in the end neither did anything. One got a shot to finish off the R7, missed, and splashed a raxus next to the R7, but he made the save. Then he died. Lol. Oh well. Back to where we were - I take 20 off his R7 with a klat and retreat back onto some green. He starts to press forward, I am able to safely snipe a raxus, and I start to lock doors. He presses forward aggressively along the bottom behind a locked door. End of the round I'm able to then open it and kill his other uggie and kill his sled (accurate rules!). He gets gambit. I win init (duh, Thrawn - though if I rolled a 1 there I probably would have lost) and lock the door again. I then lock the next door in line just to be safe. He found a killer LoS to open the second door (I thought - oh no I'm screwed!) but since he was running ozzel - all was good in the hood. That bit I said before about the Death Star Trooper being inept? Insert that here. He misses what would have killed the last ounce of his door control, and doesn't even kill the raxus next to him with splash, then dies. 11 pts for Aaron. Well, luckily the Klat didn't miss, and that sealed the deal. Locked doors, no way to open them on his side, me outactivating and having triple override. We had already run out of time and were finishing the last round, but he conceded knowing there was nothing more he could do. Score was 16 to 33 at that point. He would have scored gambit, as would I have by going into gambit at the end. Probably would have killed 2-4 more troopers as well - so it would have looked more like 21 to 53 end score.

Aaron is a sharp player. He continues his unfortunate streak of beating a guy in Swiss, and losing to them in the Semis. But I have no doubt a big tourney win is in his very near future.

All the NZ guys are so great - they just love the game, they are good at it, and are fun to play. What do they have in the water down there? They're all witty and clever and fun to talk to while in an intense match. I've really enjoyed the opportunity to play them - really hope they do make it out to GenCon next year!

So - will it be me vs another Kiwi, the dangerous Dr Daman, or the Welsh scientist who I've known for years and got me into this game very near it's beginning while he was my roommate - Fingersandteeth?

I await the other semi final with great antici . . . .

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 12:50:22 AM

. . . pation
Darth O
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 2:40:13 AM

Congrats, TimmerB! Thanks for the great write-up. I really enjoyed it.
sharron
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 2:56:54 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Wow, just finished a chess match of a game vs Sharron. It's 3:18am my time - so I'm a little woozy, but I'll try and spell out what happened. Not much at all actually.

I played:

--Blue Asses--
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
21 General Veers
12 Gha Nachkt
60 Klatooinian Assassin x5
11 Grand Moff Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
7 R4 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x3

and brought in a Rodian, an R7, and 5 mice

Aaron played:

--Daala in Her Prime V2.0--
27 Admiral Daala
20 Admiral Piett
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
60 Raxus Prime Trooper x12

This brought us even in activations.

He won map roll and we played on Asteroid base - which suited me just fine (the map has a lot of doors for my triple override, and lots of cover fro my Klats). I take left (with the bunker that I could lock down tight if need be).

Unsurprisingly, we both swapped in ozzel. This wound up hurting Aaron in the end.

First round (after we both spin a bunch of crap), he slowly and carefully starts to advance. I had him go first, so I can go last. I do some fancy shuffling and risky LoS to get a 1 square wide door on his side open. I swapped in a Klat to ping one of his uggies. Now I had activation advantage! He could have pressed with the repulser sled to take out my R7, but then I would have killed his sled, and that trade would have been in my favor points wise. So he played it cool and actually backed up with the sled to a nice safe corner. Next round I luck out and roll a 6. I could have taken 4 troopers just for activations, but I decided to take an Imp Engineer and a Death Star Gunner - BOTH have splash. Spread those Raxus out now mister! Though - in the end neither did anything. One got a shot to finish off the R7, missed, and splashed a raxus next to the R7, but he made the save. Then he died. Lol. Oh well. Back to where we were - I take 20 off his R7 with a klat and retreat back onto some green. He starts to press forward, I am able to safely snipe a raxus, and I start to lock doors. He presses forward aggressively along the bottom behind a locked door. End of the round I'm able to then open it and kill his other uggie and kill his sled (accurate rules!). He gets gambit. I win init (duh, Thrawn - though if I rolled a 1 there I probably would have lost) and lock the door again. I then lock the next door in line just to be safe. He found a killer LoS to open the second door (I thought - oh no I'm screwed!) but since he was running ozzel - all was good in the hood. That bit I said before about the Death Star Trooper being inept? Insert that here. He misses what would have killed the last ounce of his door control, and doesn't even kill the raxus next to him with splash, then dies. 11 pts for Aaron. Well, luckily the Klat didn't miss, and that sealed the deal. Locked doors, no way to open them on his side, me outactivating and having triple override. We had already run out of time and were finishing the last round, but he conceded knowing there was nothing more he could do. Score was 16 to 33 at that point. He would have scored gambit, as would I have by going into gambit at the end. Probably would have killed 2-4 more troopers as well - so it would have looked more like 21 to 53 end score.

Aaron is a sharp player. He continues his unfortunate streak of beating a guy in Swiss, and losing to them in the Semis. But I have no doubt a big tourney win is in his very near future.

All the NZ guys are so great - they just love the game, they are good at it, and are fun to play. What do they have in the water down there? They're all witty and clever and fun to talk to while in an intense match. I've really enjoyed the opportunity to play them - really hope they do make it out to GenCon next year!

So - will it be me vs another Kiwi, the dangerous Dr Daman, or the Welsh scientist who I've known for years and got me into this game very near it's beginning while he was my roommate - Fingersandteeth?

I await the other semi final with great antici . . . .

So my report.. Is exactly this. Haha :) Tim played a hellagood game, I was outplayed from the very start, just means I have to beat the crap out of him at gencon.. :D in minis as well.. ;) or maybe in the world vassal tournament! I have to hollaback about that to TINT.. No Doubt.

Anyway, thanks for the game tim! I don't mind losing to a better played game :) good luck!

I apologise for all the Gwen stefani puns above.
sharron
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 2:58:57 PM

Also, just to reinforce how well Tim played, in 1.15 minutes of minis, I made ONE attack. Well played my man
scruffyhan
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:07:02 AM

Sounds like a fun game.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:26:59 PM

Yup. This is what Daala has changed our game into.

It's very hard to out muscle her - so you have to out tech her.
harryg
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:49:35 PM

Let's just remove the daala character and replace her with epic set 3. Ok? OkFlapper
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:06:11 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Yup. This is what Daala has changed our game into.

It's very hard to out muscle her - so you have to out tech her.

Yep, not a ton of fun when your opponent has 25 + acts with act control and more than enough guys to trade with you because they are trading up. I am teaching a friend the game and I am staying away from the subject of daala for fear that he wont want to play anymore,Cursing lol I just hope their is a bunch of lancer squads being played... screw you daala!!! ThumbDown
sharron
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:27:05 PM

It's alright . I have the answer to Daala. But you're going to have to wait till NZcon to see what it is ;)
Dr Daman
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 1:18:07 AM

Semi final number 2 has been completed between myself and Deri (fingersandteeth), and it was a great match-up where one mistake was the difference in the end.

fingersandteeth ran:

--Grievous--
63 Grievous on Tsmeu-6 Wheel Bike
27 Lobot
15 BX Commando Droid Spotter
28 BX Commando Droid Sniper x2
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
18 Battle Droid x6
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
16 Mouse Droid x8

While I ran:

--With a Rebel Yell!--
44 Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor
27 Biggs Darklighter, Rebel Pilot
27 Lobot
21 Jon "Dutch" Vander
20 Princess Leia
18 Klatooinian Captain
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse
20 Tantive IV Trooper x4
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

I decided to bring in a Human Bodyguard and MD's with Lobot, while fingers brought in the MTB and 6 MD's. I won map roll so we played on the Commanders Office/Ravaged Base. Deri took the inside (left) and set up first.

Round one was all positioning. I moved most of my commanders to the top against the wall of the Commanders Office and the rest of pieces to just inside the Command Centre. Deri kept his tech in the bottom left and sent his half his MD's down the botton corridor and the other half up the top in Cargo Bay 2 with his Battle Droids. Grievous and the BX's took up position just inside the top right corner of Bay 1. Second round was much of the same positioning for me. I moved my force into gambit and used the Bodyguard as the centre point to help guard me from anything he could throw at me. Deri moved one of his BX Snipers up to join the MD's and Battle Droids at the top and the other one went to just out of the top most Lift. He then placed Grievous inside the lower Lift. Moving some MD's around at the end of the round, Deri was able to open up the Commanders Office doors for a round three attack. At the start of round three, the top BX was able to intuition into a spot to hit Juno. With double from Grievous, Juno was gone. I moved Lobot to lock the Commanders Office door, which in-turn, opened the lower door in the Centre that was being held closed from the previous round. Deri turned a tech piece and then I made my move. I ran a MD up to the central door to open it and used a FP to have Luke run next to Grievous. Luke hit him for 60dmg, leaving him on 70. This was the game defining moment. Insted of moving Grievous out of harms way, Deri decided to shoot Luke with a Sniper. He hit both attacks, but Luke evaded them. I then used Leia to grant Luke another attack. He hit them both for a total of 70dmg and defeating Grievous. Without Double for the Droids, and with Grievous not getting to attack, there wasn't enough damage from the remaining pieces to really trouble me. He did hit Luke with the Spotter using Vibroblade, but Luke Djem So'd and killed it. From there on it was clean up and to his credit, Deri brought all his forces up to try get some points and speed up the game which was appreciated. As soon as I saw his squad, I knew I was going to have a tough time. My only chance was to kill Grievous before he made a mess of my back-line and was lucky enough to do so.

A great game against a great person and player. I very much enjoyed talking rugby with you Deri and I hope you can make it to the Vassal Regional! Thanks a lot for competing in our little get together and I appreciate you making a huge effort to fit this game in around our time differences.

Now, on to the final.........
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:10:38 AM

This finals match is gonna be

Legen . . .
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:11:14 AM

wait for it . . .
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:12:12 AM

. . . DAVID!!!

Legen-David!!!!

(Awwww, the joke would have worked much better if Deri had won)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C19US6rqqAo

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:22:08 AM

That being said - I've probably played Deri more than anyone else in the world, we started our minis habit together when we were flatmates (that word was for all you Kiwis). So I relish the chance to take on the legendary Dr. Daman for the first time. ThumbsUp
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 6:13:50 AM

Yeah, botched 2 turns and rightfully payed dearly for it.

Can't remember having made such a boneheaded descision at such a crucial point in a match but then Dave played into it well.

Your a good bloke, Dave. Its a shame that my ineptitude made what could've been a really interesting game into a rout.
Guess my head wasn't screwed on. I forgot to put both Lobot and Gha Nacht on the board. Caught the lobot omission in the first round but totally spaced the missing Gha all game.

Anyway, the final game should be an awesome one. Two of the best players on the planet squaring off.

Epic.

Good luck guys.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:18:06 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Hey guys, I'm going to throw a quick advertisement in here:

I've started a thread for the 2014 Vassal Regional Tournament (see SWM General>>Events). Saturday, July 5, starting at 2:00pm EST (that's 6:00 am NZ time). If you're having a blast (as I am!) with this NZ Vassal Tournament, then please check out the Vassal Regional. And tell a friend or three.

It's been a whole lot of fun the last two years when we've done it, and I'm hoping that we'll have even more people this time, given the great success that this NZ Vassal Tournament is having.

Anyway, back to your regularly-scheduled Vassal goodness!

Any of you who is planning to play in the Vassal Regional tournament, please note that we have changed the date (for the last time!) to Saturday, July 19. Please check the thread (referenced above) to follow the discussion.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:03:36 PM

Well - we just played the finals match

My squad:

--Luke and Leia on Speeder w/ crazy activations--
55 Luke and Leia on Speeder
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Lobot
16 Elite Rebel Commando
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
12 Gha Nachkt
9 General Dodonna
24 Mouse Droid x12

(200pts. 20 activations)

and I brought an MTB and 6 mice

His squad:

--Cane and Able--
63 Darth Bane, Sith'ari
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
30 Vergere
17 Marka Ragnos, Dark Force Spirit
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
16 Sith Recruit x4

(200pts. 11 activations)

I won map and we played on ravaged base (bad map choice for this squad btw). He took inside (left) and I was outside (right). He lined his uggies up in the perfect spot to prevent me from killing them both with a strafe without seriously putting myself in danger. So I pile into the main room just north of the main hallway and get gambit with LL on speeder, and lock the doors. Couldn't prevent him from blowing the main door, so he does. out-activate, and this time I take out his uggies. A bit of positioning over the next few rounds, I take some safe shots opening and then closing doors, but nothing lands due to illusion on top of dark aura. Bane starts to threaten around the backside of the room, lightning a trio of stupidly placed mice, while Caedus covers the front. I strafe them all (except the pawns hiding in the back), once again land nothing except on Vergere, and then nail her with Han too. I put two mice in front of the door to be safe. I was thinking I could finish Vergere off with the ERC and lock the door after init, effectively securing the win, but Caedus had other plans. I win init with the MTB, say I'll go first - but then he Aing-Tii flow walks, and Sith Battle Manipulates most of my mice, and most importantly the ERC (which was STUPIDLY placed right behind the mice, within 3 of Caedus.) He plops the ERC right next to him, and smokes him. Crap! Now I was down in score and my plan to both kill Vergere and lock the door were gone! No mice to cover the door and it was wide open, so nothing I could do except lock the door with Lobot to prevent Bane marching in and killing Han. So he heals himself with Vergere and runs out of LoS. Crap! Now she had 40 left and was activated, and because of a dumb move on my part Han was 1 square too far to be able to shoot her. Aggghhhh. Time was up by this point and we knew it was the final round. I thought long and hard about my options, and there weren't many at all. My only chance was to crit with Luke and Leia on Speeder to kill Vergere. So I speed as far away as I can (out of the range of a SBM pull in and a Bane force focused leaping assault). I line it up and roll a 15. No dice, so I force point reroll - and you guessed it, a 20! What a lucky twat I am. So that kills Vergere and puts me ahead - but not by quite enough. I have to run Han away lest he get an easy 27 points and win. He kills some more mice and then force focus leaping assault 8 squares to Gha in gambit and smokes him. Ugh - that 12 points gets him within 3 of me. 53-56 I believe. But now I had nobody in gambit, and Bane was sitting in the perfect position to swat anyone who tries. Well, good old Rieekan has 50 hp, just enough to take an AoO (with rage even) and not die. (And now I am questioning why he didn't force focus the rage . . . Was he out of FPs? I don't remember. Even if he was, Markos DFS had plenty he could use.) Well, anyway - since he didn't use any force powers, he was in the same predicament I was - he had to crit. Except he has MotF 2 +1 from Vergere, essentially meaning he can roll 4 times. Well, he rolled once, a 2. Not good enough. He rolled a second time, a 12. Nope. A third time, 8, not gonna cut it. And we both knew that the game came down to the next roll. If he crits, Rieekan dies and he wins. If he does less than a crit, I get into gambit and win by 3 points. Well, as you might have guessed - he rolled the most extreme roll he could have, in the opposite direction. He rolled a 1.

Final Score - 58-61

I won through sheer dumb luck. It really came down to needing a crit to kill vergere in the end, and with the FPRR I did. Then he needed to roll a crit with Bane to kill my Reikeen that I was forced to move into gambit past Bane, and he FPRR 3 times and did not crit.

I was outplayed, but the victory goes to me.

Thanks to David for a great match (and really he should have won), but being an absolute great sport about it. Thanks to him also for setting this whole thing up - I really enjoyed it. I thoroughly like being able to switch squads. Predicting what the other might play is lots of fun! (Though - i'm not very good at it. My finals pick was horrible!)

I do feel undeserving to "win" this thing. I was playing fun tier 2 squads in the Swiss, and was pounded by Sharron, in one game, talked TINT into also playing a "fun" squad and pulled that one out by my teeth, then SHOULD have lost to Mike Moore Smaugler, but do to my good luck and his bad luck, I win, sending me to the final 4. I did avenge my earlier loss to Sharron by earning the win in the semis, but then once again lady luck was on my side to a ridiculous degree in the finals vs Dr Daman.

Well - it was still a ton of fun. I was really happy to play so many Kiwis! Great players and a fun lot. Really do hope you guys can make it down for GenCon 2015!!!