RegisterDonateLogin

A Target Exclusive.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:30:50 AM
Groups: Member

fingersandteeth wrote:
Yeah, i actually lost to it. Got hasty and attacked before i'd done significant damage to the Hojix rather than spending a couple of rounds shooting it with Han.

160 dmg from both Cad and Dash was too much to overcome.

Was that in 2011? I'm still trying to figure out this mystery of who played this squad and when.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:34:59 AM

Yes, it was 2011. I remember the squads I played in the Champs for every year, and it was Solo Charge for me that year. Which means it was Ricky with his stinkin' Houjix that year too.

And it's 180dmg from each of them (6x 30dmg shots). I had to be very, VERY careful with my placement in the opening rounds of that game. And even after the UTF, it still took me a while to finish off his 3 main attackers and Bastilla. It was a very inventive squad (as is usually the case with Ricky).
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:42:06 AM

Ha, yeah, that looks like RickyTechâ„¢
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:06:25 AM

i remember playing against this squad in 2011 and it was Rueben Kaller who played it, without a doubt. Him and Ben Johnson were talking to me about the decision to add the Houjix after the game because it was the 1st time i'd seen anyone run a Dejarik piece competitively. I was running a Kyp solo charge variant that never proved to be as effective as i hoped.

I think i might have spaced the force defense on the Exile at a crucial time.

Ricky may also have played it but I faced Rueben.
Also, this wasn't Alaskan Rueben of the dual uggernaughts of death fame but Missouri Rueben.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:30:42 AM

So 2 of that same random crazy squad in 1 tournament? That can't be right
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:31:08 AM

fingersandteeth wrote:
i remember playing against this squad in 2011 and it was Rueben Kaller who played it, without a doubt. Him and Ben Johnson were talking to me about the decision to add the Houjix after the game because it was the 1st time i'd seen anyone run a Dejarik piece competitively. I was running a Kyp solo charge variant that never proved to be as effective as i hoped.

I think i might have spaced the force defense on the Exile at a crucial time.

Ricky may also have played it but I faced Rueben.
Also, this wasn't Alaskan Rueben of the dual uggernaughts of death fame but Missouri Rueben.
Actually, I think you're right: it was Reuben. Sorry about that. Both had "R"s in their name...yeah, that's it....Blushing Regardless, it was a really cool squad. And deadly in certain metas. Actually, it wouldn't do badly in this meta, if not for Zam and her missiles of doom (which would nerf the Houjix pretty badly).
sephiroth99is
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:26:02 PM

Yeah it was Reuben who played the Houjixx squad. I was playing Commando Rebels with double disruptive and a ton of Rodian Brutes that year (made top 8 then fell to Ian). Brutes with evade, in disruptive, and with wicket behind them are badasses... :-)
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:25:43 PM

It's interesting what sparks lots of discussion on this thread - I certainly wasn't expecting to wake up to a page of posts about the Houjix.

Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
49 points, Sith
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 20
Attack: 16
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Deadly Attack (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Lightning 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage to target and 2 characters adjacent to that target)
Force Stun (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 6; target living enemy is considered activated this round; save 11)
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

Commander Effect
Followers get +4 Attack.

Hey, it's a good WOTC Sith piece. Good, not great - Malak DLotS looks amazing next to most of the other WOTC Sith efforts, and he's attained a stratospheric 8.89 rating on Bloomilk. But the best frame of reference for him is the Republic fighter/commanders in the same price range - pieces like GOWK, Grand Master Yoda, and General Skywalker, and measured up against them, Malak is the weakest of the bunch, with his lack of shooter defense. Malak does have some good offensive force power options and a high attack - Sith Rage, Stun, and Lightning 2 are all useful offensive tools and Lightsaber Duelist helps against melee, but he is relatively weak against shooters. His attack CE boost does help the Fringe usual suspects like Dash Renegade Smuggler and Jarael, who also benefit from the force renewal CE from Darth Sidious Hologram, also a fixture in most Sith squads; a decent Sith squad could look something like this:

Quote:
--SIT200 Malak: Gmobile Evaders--
53 Lumiya, the Dark Lady
49 Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
23 Jarael
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
11 Darth Sidious Hologram
6 Mouse Droid x2
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(200pts. 12 activations)

The Sith weren't really competitive at high end tournament play before the v-sets, they just didn't have the cheap movement breakers and tempo control the premier factions enjoyed - but between them, Malak and Sidious Hologram were the best foundation a Sith squad could access. Malak DLotS is a good piece, but it feels like his time has gone; most competitive modern Sith squads tend to build around the movement breakers like Caedus Sith Lord or Revan Sith Lord, and it's hard to cram 49 points of Malak in those builds, especially when he's also weak against shooters. 7/10.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:51:42 PM

All of these remakes that we have done in Vsets and we can't get a Malak remade? I remember back in the day I would try and fail miserably at running a Sith squad (usually built around Malak). Of course it did fare better than when I tried to Make Vong work (non spit). God they were terrible.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:54:19 PM

Clone Trooper, from Clone Strike

Quote:
9 points, Republic
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Order 66

Ehh. Clone Troopers are subject to lots of boosts, since they're a Republic non-unique with Order 66, but 9 points is too much of an investment for a piece with 10 hit points, 13 defense, and no defensive abilities whatsoever. For 1 extra point, you can get an Utapau Trooper, which is identical apart from the additions of wall climber and sniper. The Clone Trooper is an iconic piece, with lots of Fett DNA, but I've never seen one on the table, 2/10.
harryg
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:06:45 PM

If you run the Clone Trooper with the new Cody from Undying and Queen amidala they are 6 points. Might be ok then?
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:27:45 PM

Sthlrd2 wrote:
All of these remakes that we have done in Vsets and we can't get a Malak remade? I remember back in the day I would try and fail miserably at running a Sith squad (usually built around Malak). Of course it did fare better than when I tried to Make Vong work (non spit). God they were terrible.

He seems down the list a little bit - by my count Darth Malak Dark Lord of the Sith is the second best WOTC Sith unique.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:46:26 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Sthlrd2 wrote:

He seems down the list a little bit - by my count Darth Malak Dark Lord of the Sith is the second best WOTC Sith unique.

Who is first?

I could probably go look and figure it out, but I'm a bit tired right now.

Is this counting Holosid?
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:59:10 PM

pegolego wrote:
Who is first?

I could probably go look and figure it out, but I'm a bit tired right now.

Is this counting Holosid?

Yeah, Holosid's amazing for 11 points. He's the only WOTC Sith piece I own, apart from a Sith Mutant.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:31:14 PM

Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
61 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 19
Attack: 14

Special Abilities
Unique
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Lightning 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage to target and 2 characters adjacent to that target)
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

Commander Effect
Characters in your squad with a Force rating can spend this character's Force points. (A character still can't spend Force points more than once per turn and can't combine its own Force points with this character's.)

Somehow, compared to Clone Strike Sidious, this subsequent version costs 25 points more and is worse - instead of the Clone Strike Sidious' crucial movement breaker with Pawn of the Dark Side, Sidious DLotS is a mediocre beatstick. He's effectively been remade by the v-set designers - Darth Sidious, Supreme Chancellor is a much more viable beatstick with ranged defense, a better force point CE, and the ability to do damage on the move. Right now, the Separatists have three Sidious options to choose from; two of them are amazingly good, tournament ready pieces, and one is awful. This is the awful one - no reason to use this apart from the bad-ass sculpt. 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:41:39 AM

harryg wrote:
If you run the Clone Trooper with the new Cody from Undying and Queen amidala they are 6 points. Might be ok then?

Yeah, I haven't really thought that through - might lift them a little bit. I don't know if they're all that great at 6 points, given you need 52 points on Cody and Amidala to make it happen, but they might at least be playable. It'd be cool if Clone Troopers had an SA like "Safety in Numbers" - it could be something like "when this piece has at least four allies with the same name within 6 squares, when defeated it may return to the place it was defeated with a save of 11."
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:43:05 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
Man, whoever came up with the idea for that piece must be truly amazing. And modest.

And handsome!
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:21:39 PM

Elite Stormtrooper, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
11 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 16
Attack: 8

The Elite Stormtrooper is strictly worse that the 501 Legion Stormtrooper, which has exactly the same stat line, but with Squad Assault, Squad Firepower, rapport with Vader, and a faux-moustache. And since they both have Stormtrooper in their name, they're both eligible for the same boosts. Until there's a specific boost for Elite Stormtroopers, there's no reason to use this piece ever and it's a 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:01:31 PM

Lowbacca, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
29 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 19
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Wookiee
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Advanced Door Gimmick (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open; it remain open and cannot be closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Industrial Repair 20 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 20 damage from 1 character with Mounted Weapon)
Jedi Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally with a Force rating would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Momentum (If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Repair 20 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 20 damage from 1 Droid character)

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Push 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage; push back target 1 square if Huge or smaller)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Mid cost Jedi are some of my favourite pieces, and Lowbacca is another good one. He's been kicking around for a couple of years now, and to my knowledge hasn't really made a splash at a Regional or another major tournament, but he's a solid enough piece for the cost - with Jedi Bodyguard and 110 hit points, he can help your squad spread damage around, and he also provides robust door control with Advanced Door Gimmick. He does have weaknesses - he has no ranged defense, and he can either choose between staying still for a double attack or moving to utilise Momentum. Lowbacca does get a bit better when he's with a piece that allows him to double attack on the move - either Luke Galactic Hero's GMA CE or Anakin Solo GH's Lightsaber Assault allow him to put out 60 damage with Momentum. Lowbacca is probably not a tier 1 tournament piece, although he might have his place in a Luke Galactic Hero build for his bodyguard and GMA double with momentum, but he's still fun, 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:44:43 PM

Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo), from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
32 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 11
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Master Tactician (You automatically choose who goes first except on a roll of 1)

Commander Effect
Allies gain Opportunist. At the end of this character's turn, 2 allies within 6 squares of this character who are the same size may switch positions.

Mitth'raw'nuruodo is the second version of Thrawn to be released; Grand Admiral Thrawn from Universe was already an important meta piece with his Master Tactician, Swap, Ysalamari, and CE stat bonus for non-unique followers. Upon release however, Mitt'raw'nuruodo quickly became the premier Thrawn choice - mainly because his CE gives a huge punch to Uniques like Cad Bane and Lord Vader. With the help of Admiral Ozzel for tempo control and Mas Amedda for Booming Voice, a Thrawn squad can outwait its opponent, then swap in a big attacker to put a huge dent in an opponent's key piece. On winning initiative with Master Tactician, the Thrawn player can swap the big piece to safety, then rinse and repeat. Builds with Thrawn and a big attacker have been hugely successful since Thrawn's release - making the final of GenCon in 2010, winning the NZ National tournament last year, as well as numerous Regionals. The emergence of Daala in Command of the Galaxy is the first thing to challenge the sovereignty of the Thrawns in tournament Imperial squads; it's a refreshing change after years of Mitth'raw'nuruodo dominance, and he's still 11/10 with a bullet.

Some successful Thrawn builds:

GenCon Runnerup, 2010:
Quote:
--Gimp Imps--
71 Lord Vader
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
23 Jarael
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
5 Imperial Dignitary
21 Rodian Brute x7