RegisterDonateLogin

Is in command now.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:29:33 PM
Groups: Member

I didn't like Talon when he first came out, because the Disruptive/Ysalamiri/Attack and damage boost/Movement breaker combo made his squads hard to beat with my favourite kinds of squads, where you run up and bash people with lightsabers. I'm not sure how I feel about him after playing him at NZCon with 10 Klat Assassins. A couple of my wins were really just too easy because of Ysalamiri and Disruptive. And yet my two losses against Daala made me feel like he was underpowered in comparison. I THINK I like him how he is, but it does kinda feel like playing SWM on easy mode. Kinda like a lot of squad types, so I guess it's even :P
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:02:27 PM

I think that Talon needs all that stuff to hang in with other top tier squads - and even with them he still has plenty of weaknesses. Talon squads are generally going to be vulnerable to strafe (unless you're running Klat Assassins), they don't really have an answer to tempo control, and Talon's always a weak point defensively. If he's forward, you can take him out, and if he's not you miss all the disruptive and Ysalamari.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:27:26 PM

Spacetrooper, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
29 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 40

Special Abilities
Armored Spacesuit (Immune to critical hits)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Heavy Weapon (Can't attack and move in the same turn)
Missiles 30 (Replaces attacks: sight; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Penetration 20 (Enemies' Damage Reduction is reduced by 20 against this character's attacks)
Rapport (Costs 2 less when in the same squad as a character named Grand Admiral Thrawn)
Shields 2 (When this character takes damage, make 2 saves, each needing 11; each success reduces the damage dealt by 10)
Stable Platform (After making an attack on its turn, this character may immediately use a special ability that replaces attacks)

The Spacetrooper probably isn't a competitive piece, but it's an awesomely fun casual piece. The Spacetrooper's most distinctive feature is his Stable Platform - to date, he's the only piece with it, and it allows him to Missiles 30 every time after he shoots something. With Shields 2, 40 base damage, and Missiles 30, the Spacetrooper has plenty of power, but he also has constraints which mean that he needs plenty of support to function. With a lowly attack of +8, the Spacetrooper really needs help to hit stuff - either of the Thrawns, Grand Admiral Rulf Yage, or Captain Needa are all good options. And with Heavy Weapon he needs to swap to get into position - again the Thrawns are very helpful, along with a Dark Hellion Swoop Bike as a swap piece. If you really want to make the Spacetrooper nasty, Darth Vader LotF gives him an extra attack, but realistically, it's very difficult to squeeze Vader and one or two Spacetroopers into a squad, and still have enough activations to compete. Along with Large Base, which always makes it harder for a piece to function, I don't think you're going to see the Spacetrooper at many tournaments (although it might shine in a special rules tournament like 300 points/16 activations) but it's a really fun casual piece, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:44:29 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
(BTW - I LOVE that it was given (lol, Givin) an 8. That's exactly what we were aiming for. We certainly didn't want to replace the R7 (talk about power creep!), but in certain squads he's more useful and worth the extra 3 points. Most 9s and up are overpowered/undercosted. Too many 9 (or higher) ratings in a set = power creep)

I think 8 is a great place to pitch pieces - so they're good enough to take to a tournament, but not really affecting the meta too much. I think the v-sets have generally done that very well - more than half of the pieces covered in this thread fall in the 7-9 bracket.

Here's a graph showing the breakdown of ratings handed out on this thread so far. V-sets are in a nice bell curvey sort of thing, with most pieces between 7-9, while WOTC pieces are all over the place. Lots of useless 1s and 2s, more power pieces than the v-sets, etc. Much better QC on the v-sets.

Here's the same graph with the pieces before Alliance and Empire removed - since WOTC basically obsoleted most of those early pieces with their own power creep.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:02:30 PM

Molator, from Masters of the Force

Quote:
22 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 80
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Dejarik
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Protective Aura (Adjacent Dejarik allies gain Avoid Defeat)

Like most of the Dejariks, the Molator is extremely underwhelming. 22 points gets you a respectable 80 hit points, but the stats are otherwise terrible for a melee piece with a single attack. The only interesting things on the Molator are Melee Reach 2 and Protective Aura, which hands out Avoid Defeat that only other Dejariks can benefit from, and if you're running more than one Dejarik in a serious squad you're probably gunning for the wooden spoon. 2/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 1:14:33 AM

Yoda of Dagobah, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
36 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 20
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Light Tutor (At the start of the skirmish, choose an allied Rebel character. If that ally does not have a Force rating, it gains Force 1 and can spend this Force point normally; it is considered to have a Force rating for the rest of the skirmish. If that ally already has a Force rating, it gets 1 Force point.)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 2 (This character gets 2 Force points each time he activates)
Force Alter (Force 1: range 6; any 1 enemy rerolls its last attack)
Force Defense (Force 3: Cancel a Force power used by a character within 6 squares)
Force Spirit 6 (If this character is defeated, immediately add 6 Force points to an ally with a Force rating; that ally can spend Force points 1 extra time per turn for the rest of the skirmish)
Force Stun (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 6; target living enemy is considered activated this round; save 11)
Master of the Force 3 (May spend Force points up to 3 times in a single turn)

Commander Effect
Characters in your squad with a Force rating can spend this character's Force points. (A character still can't spend Force points more than once per turn and can't combine its own Force points with this character's.)

Yoda of Dagobah is arguably the best force battery in the game - while he's only got Force Renewal 2, as opposed to Palpatine's Force Renewal 3, he's not limited by emplacement, and he also hands out Light Tutor so a non force user can gain force points, as well as Force Spirit 6 when he's defeated. While he can't do any damage, he can be a pain with his 120 hit points, 20 defense, force stun, force defense, and force alter - although if you're using him as a force battery, you probably don't want to waste his force points on annoyance. His most popular use was the 150 point Force Push squad, where he powered up Apprentice Redeemed and Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed for continuous mobile Force Pushes. Of course, a force battery is 36 points of uselessness if you're playing against Vong or Ysalamari, so it's a risk to take him, and 36 points is a lot to spend on a non-combatant, but Yoda of Dagobah is still really good at what does, and fills a unique niche for the Rebels. 7/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:12:47 AM

Woah, I think maybe at his peak he could have been an 8, but now he's much much lower. Practically unplayable in a competitive squad.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 12:49:11 PM

I was wavering between a 7 and an 8, so I've shifted him down to a 7. I do think he's an efficient piece - I think his biggest issue is that there are more force immune squads in the meta than there used to be - Pellaeon and Talon are popular, and Vong have got a lot better, so I would certainly be reluctant to take him to a tournament. I'm pretty sure he won a game at the WNY Regional this year with darthbinks1 though.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:28:11 PM

Admiral Ozzel, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
11 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14
Attack: 4
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Imperial Reserves 20 (If you roll exactly 6 for initiative, you can add up to 20 points of non-Unique Imperial characters to your squad immediately before your first activation of the round)

Commander Effect
You activate only 1 character each phase. (This includes Droid and Savage characters.)

Tempo control - the ability to activate more or less than two pieces per round, so that you can set up for big end of round strikes, or activate lots of pieces at once after engagement - is one of the most powerful abilities in the game. Admiral Ozzel's version, where he forces a player to only activate one piece per round, has natural synergy with Mitt'Thrawn - his slowing down of the game helps the big hitters in your squad to take advantage of Thrawn's Opportunist CE late in the round.

Tempo control is often a huge benefit, but it can also be detrimental if your opponent outactivates you, and you're still forced to only activate one piece per round. It can also be detrimental if you outactivate your opponent without Ozzel or if you're playing against a squad that can pull off a big mid-round strike, and you can only respond with one piece to your opponent's two. Admiral Pellaeon allows you to customise your commanders at the start of a skirmish, so you can play Ozzel only when you need him. While he's most commonly found with Thrawn, Ozzel's also a useful option in a Daala toolbox - while you won't want Ozzel a lot of the time, he can be worth bringing in when you're playing against a high activation Rebel or Separatist squad. While Ozzel does have some drawbacks, you can get around most of them with Pellaeon's help, and he's totally a power piece; tempo control is often a dominant strategy in this game, and Ozzel is totally an 11/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 5:41:49 PM

Yammosk War Coordinator, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
15 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Attack: --
Damage: --

Special Abilities
Damage Reduction 10 (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Emplacement (Cannot move or be moved. Set up anywhere on your half of the battle map.)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Telepathic Insight (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you may choose one commander effect. This character gains this commander effect and any faction specific effects become Yuuzhan Vong specific effects.)
Yuuzhan Vong War Coordinator (Special abilities that grant bonuses to Yuuzhan Vong within 6 squares or commander effects normally limited to 6 squares of characters in your squad (including this character) have unlimited range. You may not have more than one character with Yuuzhan Vong War Coordinator in your squad.)

I might be courting controversy here, but I think the Yammosk is a bit overrated. In my view it's primarily filling in a huge hole that WOTC left the game with, and helping the Vong keep up with the better equipped factions.

The Vong were simply screaming out for boardwide transmission of Special Abilities and Commander Effects. The Advance Agent, Officer has a great commander effect, but with only 30 hit points, and with it being ridiculously un-canonical for the Vong to use Mouse Droids, it should have been rangeless in the first place. Same deal with Special Abilities like Shaper and Scarification - you had to have fragile pieces out near the action in order to utilise their Special Abilities, or do something inefficient like use Nom Anor to give a Shaper super-stealth. Honestly, I feel ripped off that I have to pay any points to make these boardwide - they should have been like that in the first place.

At the time of Destiny of the Force, stealing a commander effect simply helped the Vong to keep up with factions that were drowning in great commander effects like Swap and Cannon CEs. There are plenty of great Commander Effects that the Yammosk can't take, since they're specific to a group of figures, like the Arkanian Jedi General's "Non-Unique Old Republic soldier and trooper allies within 6 squares gain Greater Mobile Attack." Telepathic Insight is a lucky dip - sometimes you'll get something awesome like Swap, Dodonna, or Rieekan, and sometimes you'll come up blank.

I see the Yammosk not as a power 11 piece, but as something that allowed the Vong to actually use pieces like the Advance Agent, Officer, and to stand a chance against other factions squads that have access to great Commander Effects. It is a fixture in most Vong squads (not all: Warrior Caste Subcommander swarms can function without it), and I'm sure people will disagree, but I actually think the Yammosk could have been costed cheaper - in plenty of games you're paying 15 points to transmit CEs and SAs that should have been rangeless to start with. It's a good design from the v-set team, to fill a hole that really needed filling, but I don't think it's a power 11 piece at 15 points. 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 9:13:56 PM

Obi-Wan Kenobi, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
38 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 19
Attack: 14

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 5
Force Spirit 8 (If this character is defeated, immediately add 8 Force points to an ally with a Force rating; that ally can spend Force points 1 extra time per turn for the rest of the skirmish)
Force Heal 20 (Force 2, replaces attacks: touch; remove 20 damage from a living character)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

I have a sentimental attachment to Rebel Storm Obi-Wan Kenobi - back when I started playing, I had a collection of about 20 janky Rebel and Fringe pieces, featuring luminaries such as the Klaatonian Enforcer and several Utapaun Soldiers, and this guy was my star player. Obi-Wan Kenobi is one of the better pieces from Rebel Storm; he has Lightsaber Sweep, a good attack rating, and his Force Spirit 8 hands out a whopping 8 force points to an ally when he passes away. But he's competing for game time with some slightly better Obi-Wans - it's only 6 extra points to upgrade to Obi Unleashed, who comes with slightly better stats and fancier force powers, while the slightly cheaper Ben Kenobi from Cantina Brawl comes with Stealth and Noble Sacrifice. This Obi does have his uses - his Lightsaber Sweep at +14 means that he's a good candidate for a 'lawnmower' squad with Leia Rebel Hero, although so is Unleashed's Force Repulse 3. And while Force Spirit 8 sounds uber, the Rebels don't have too many big force users to give it to, although in Epics Galen Marek, Unleashed would certainly appreciate them. Obi-Wan Kenobi is solid enough for a Rebel Storm mini - you can do some fun stuff with him - but he's nowhere near competitive at 200 points. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:16:41 PM

Major Maxmilian Veers, from The Dark Times

Quote:
12 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 15
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Unique
Crack Gunner +10 (Can combine fire with adjacent allies who have Mounted Weapon, granting +10 Damage. The attack cannot be prevented or redirected)

Commander Effect
Whenever a non-Unique follower within 6 squares is missed by an attack, it can immediately move 2 squares.

The Imperials are well stocked in cheap commanders - according to Bloomilk, they have access to 25 different commanders who are 20 points or less. Major Maxmilian Veers is one of the less essential ones, with a Commander Effect that feels more like a nice bonus than anything particularly significant. Even in Daala squads, where you have a whole swarm of non-unique followers to take advantage of his CE, there are plenty of commanders who are much more useful. Veers does also have Crack Gunner +10, but if you're after that, the Elite AT-AT Driver is the same cost, but with slightly better stats, so you may as well take the Driver over Veers. MM Veers isn't a terrible piece - his CE could be mildly useful in some squads, and he has decent hit points for a commander as well, but I imagine that he doesn't get out of the box much. 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:05:21 PM

Jarael, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
23 points, Fringe
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Triple Attack (On her turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Parry (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Shockstaff +10 (+10 Damage against adjacent nonliving enemies. An adjacent living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11.)

Force Powers
Force 2

Like Dash for non-melee, Jarael is the queen of unique Fringe force users costed in the 20s - which might sound like a small niche when I say it like that, but she excels into a lot of different squads and factions. As a Fringe follower, she's subject to plenty of commander effects. Jarael comes with a good deal of intrinsic survivability - she has 19 defense, evade, and parry - she can be a tough nut to crack, and she can make an excellent melee interference piece for her cost. While her attack of +10 and her base damage of 10 aren't impressive, she does have extra tricks that make her an interesting offensive piece - Speed 8, Triple Attack, and Shockstaff +10 (a chance to activate living pieces, and bonus damage against non-living) are all very useful, and she can easily pick up Greater Mobile Attack from a TBSV. If that's not enough, she also has a partner piece in Marn Hierogryph, who gives her Con Artist, which allows her to be subject to a commander effect from the opponent's team. She featured in the second placed squad at GenCon 2010, where she acted as a secondary attack piece and a swap piece for Lord Vader.

Quote:
--Gimp Imps--
71 Lord Vader
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
23 Jarael
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
5 Imperial Dignitary
21 Rodian Brute x7
(198pts. 14 activations)

And I can't believe I forgot to mention that she was part of the GenCon winning squad in 2013 as well (thanks for reminding me, Tim...):

Quote:
--Professor Luke's Art Class--
48 Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
23 Anakin Solo
23 Jarael
21 Marn Hierogryph
9 General Dodonna
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 12 activations)

One of the good things about the v-sets is that they've greatly widened the options for competitive squads - I remember going to a 100 point tournament where seemingly every second squad featured Jarael. The widening of the meta has meant that Jarael isn't as prevalent as she was, but she was part of the GenCon winning squad last year, and has enjoyed plenty of play with the release of Talon Karrde Information Broker and the advent of all Fringe squads - with Talon's CE, she's a dangerous attacker and stunner, as well as melee interference for shooters. She does have weaknesses - she's vulnerable to a shooter like Mara Jade Jedi getting adjacent to her, and bypassing her evade, but she's still an amazing piece for the cost - tough, boostable, and with a wide range of potential uses. 10/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:14:39 PM

It needs to be mentioned that she was a key component to the GenCon winning squad last year too
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:20:05 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
It needs to be mentioned that she was a key component to the GenCon winning squad last year too

Wow - I forgot all about that. I wonder how many factions she's excelled in? She's won GenCon in New Republic, come 2nd in GenCon with Imperials - I doubt any other unique, apart from Mas, has made GenCon Finals in two different factions. And she's a competitive option in Rebels with the Ithorian Commander, or Fringe, or Republic, or OR (especially before they got Satele Shan, who's quite a similar piece) either.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:22:05 PM

TheHutts wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Wow - I forgot all about that. I wonder how many factions she's excelled in? She's won GenCon in New Republic, come 2nd in GenCon with Imperials - I doubt any other unique, apart from Mas, has made GenCon Finals in two different factions. And she's a competitive option in Rebels with the Ithorian Commander, or Fringe, or Republic, or OR (especially before they got Satele Shan, who's quite a similar piece) either.

Lobot
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:23:11 PM

Good point, Lobot's so ubiquitous I didn't even think about him. Jarael's in good company though - Lobot and Mas are obviously great pieces.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:52:55 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Good point, Lobot's so ubiquitous I didn't even think about him. Jarael's in good company though - Lobot and Mas are obviously great pieces.

Agreed. And really Lobot and Mas are Tech, so Jarael is in a class by herself
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:12:02 PM

Voxyn Queen, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
50 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 110
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Jedi Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Poison +10 (+10 Damage to living enemy; save 11)
Regeneration 10 (If this character doesn't move on her turn, remove 10 damage from her at the end of that turn)
Vonduun Crab Armor 11 (When this character takes damage, she can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)
Voxyn Birth (If you roll exactly 5, 10, 15 or 20 for initiative, you can add a Feral Voxyn to your squad, adjacent to this character, immediately before your first activation of the round)

Commander Effect
Allies whose names contain Voxyn gain Ambush.

The Voxyn Queen has casual, fun piece written all over it - it's a good assumption that a huge based piece melee piece with reserves isn't meant for tournament play. Although reserves generally signify a casual piece, the Vong are actually well set up for reserves, since Prefect Da'Gara's reserves on a 1 mean that your opponent can't simply counter your reserves squad with a Muun Tactics Broker. With reserves on 4 numbers, and access to Cloaked Recon with the Praetorite Vong Scout, the Queen has good odds of getting reserves, although you can only bring in a large based Feral Voxyn with her reserves, so it's not that exciting.

Both the Feral Voxyn and the Queen are subject to Vong CEs and SAs, so you can get them doing plenty of damage - the Queen starts with 20 base damage, Jedi Hunter, and poison, and is subject to all the Vong SAs and CEs, so once you get in close, she can be nasty, although if you are running a reserves squad you'll need to keep her as a finisher. But the Voxyns will struggle against tournament level squads - with their bigger base sizes and melee attack, they'll struggle to close in on some maps, and without force immunity they have no defense against area force powers. Not everything has to be Tier 1, and the Voxyn Queen is a good example of that - you're not going to take her to a tournament, but you can totally have some fun with her in a casual game. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:37:52 PM

Jensaarai Defender, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
45 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 21
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Force-Attuned Armor (Whenever this character takes damage, he reduces the damage by 10 with a save of 11)

Force Powers
Force 3
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Precision (Force 1: This character gets +10 Damage on his next attack)

The Jensaarai Defender is an interesting piece, but at 45 points he just doesn't bring enough to the table to be worthwhile. Draw Fire and Force-Attuned Armor are potentially a strong combination, as he can try to force enemy pieces to target him, and then soak up damage with his high defense and force-attuned armor. But at only 90 hit points, he can't really do it for long enough to justify his cost, and with just a double attack at +12 he's not a very heavy hitter for his cost either. I think he'd be effective with some more hit points or at around 30-35 points, but 45 points is too much to spend, and other pieces like GOWK, Zannah, Jarael, and Satele Shan are much more effective in the melee interference/annoyance role. I certainly don't regret having a Jensaarai Defender in my collection though - while I've never used the actual piece, it's a great proxy for Darth Revan Sith Lord and costs $2 as opposed to Revan's $70. 4/10.