TheHutts wrote:
Elite Stormtrooper, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
11 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

The Elite Stormtrooper is strictly worse that the 501 Legion Stormtrooper, which has exactly the same stat line, but with Squad Assault, Squad Firepower, rapport with Vader, and a faux-moustache. And since they both have Stormtrooper in their name, they're both eligible for the same boosts. Until there's a specific boost for Elite Stormtroopers, there's no reason to use this piece ever and it's a 1/10.
You have 11 out of 10's. Why not have 0 out of 10? The 501st is also one point less with any Vader.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 7:38:59 PM
Groups: Member

Komari Vosa, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
47 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 18
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 3
Control Minds (Force 1, replaces attacks: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Allies who combine fire grant an additional +2 Attack)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)

This isn't quite a case of strictly worse, but you'd be fairly silly if you weren't prepared to pay an extra 2 points over Komari Vosa for Maris Brood; Maris gains 30 hit points, an extra point of defense, force renewal, force repulse 2, and force push 2, and only loses the very jankly Control Minds. And given that Maris Brood isn't exactly a competitive piece either, that leaves Komari Vosa as a clear 1; why play Komari Vosa when you can get Dash Renegade Smuggler for 19 points less - they have similar stats once Opportunist kicks in, and Dash can shoot, and has GMA and ranged defense. Komari is only useful as a Celeste Morne proxy, 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:11:58 PM

Zabrak Fringer, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
11 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 12
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Flamethrower 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)

12 defense and 10 hit points is a really hard sell for the Zabrak Fringer, especially when Momaw Nadon with War Throat (10 damage to everything within 6 squares) is only an extra 4 points and comes with 50 hit points and stealth. She possibly was overlooked during the 10 Mouse drop era, since the Flamethrower is great for clearing fodder walls, but she feels a few points overpriced and it's hard to justify the Zabrak Fringer with Momaw around, although she just scrapes a two since she might be a handy Lobot reinforcement if you need your damage localised, 2/10.
harryg
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:45:05 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Zabrak Fringer, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
11 points, Fringe
Defense: 12

Special Abilities
Flamethrower 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)

12 defense and 10 hit points is a really hard sell for the Zabrak Fringer, especially when Momaw Nadon with War Throat (10 damage to everything within 6 squares) is only an extra 4 points and comes with 50 hit points and stealth. She possibly was overlooked during the 10 Mouse drop era, since the Flamethrower is great for clearing fodder walls, but she feels a few points overpriced and it's hard to justify the Zabrak Fringer with Momaw around, although she just scrapes a two since she might be a handy Lobot reinforcement if you need your damage localised, 2/10.

Nope. 1/10. The Zabrak Enforcer from command of the galaxy is much better for only 3 points more. It offers more HP more defense and grenades, EMP grenades grenade launcher and overload in addition to flamethrower.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 2:28:36 PM

You might consider the Zabrak Fringer in a Tarpals squad, since Overload doesn't stack with his CE. Also, that 3 points can be used for an extra activation if the activation count is tight.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 9:36:04 AM

Darth O wrote:
You might consider the Zabrak Fringer in a Tarpals squad, since Overload doesn't stack with his CE. Also, that 3 points can be used for an extra activation if the activation count is tight.
Actually, if I have 11pts left in a Tarpals squad then I'll take a Gungan Artillerist every time. Maybe I'd go with the Zabrak if I had no other use for my Lobot reinforcements...even then Momaw is only 4pts more and is more effective in every way.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 10:07:19 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Ok, I'll play "Support the 2."

You have Lobot and no direct damage, Accurate, or way to take out multiple targets. You have a good movement breaker. Your opponent has no Reinforcements but has 10 Mice in the base squad, which you know will just be used as a wall. The opponent is all Melee, so Stealth makes no difference, and everything else in the opposing squad both has 50hp or more and deals 50+ dmg per turn. Before bringing in your reinforcements, your opponent out-activates you by 3. You want to out-activate. You need 4 activations and a way to clear out his Mouse Wall... Zabrak Fringer + 3 more activations. Movement breaker will get the Zabrak into place, who can take out a Mouse Wall (or by its presence prevent the wall from being used in the first place). In any case, you out-activate, and if you use the Zabrak she will take out enough activations to keep the advantage before she is immediately defeated in the next turn.

Probably aren't too many competitive squads that have no Accurate, direct damage, or way to take out multiple targets. And even then it would take a pretty specific opponent before the Zabrak is a decent reinforcement call. But there you go. A 2 instead of a 1.
harryg
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 11:10:24 AM

*Sighs* Fine! A 2 it is.
sephiroth99is
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 11:32:30 AM

For it's time, pre-Momaw, the Zabrak fringer was very useful (for dealing with mouse droid walls). Used it as a reserve in a few tournaments to help Lord Vader get past a mouse droid wall to get to Han (Solo Charge). Because it has seen tournament play, it's at least a 2.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 4:08:00 PM

My main basis for the 2 is that Flamethrower 10 is actually a really good SA - it's much better than stuff like Heal 10, Repair 10, or Grenades 10. And she's the cheapest piece with Flamethrower 10.

Sorry about the lack of updates - I've been sick the last few days.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:49:17 AM

TheHutts wrote:

Sorry about the lack of updates - I've been sick the last few days.

No excuses. You have to get your priorities straight like Kezz.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:23:48 AM

Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter, from Universe

Quote:
75 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 23
Attack: 16

Special Abilities
Unique
Dark Armor (Whenever this character takes damage, he reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Jedi Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Grip 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: sight; 10 damage)
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Whirlwind (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

Once upon a time, Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter shaped the meta - back in 2006, at 150 points, Black and Blue was a gatekeeper, which other squads had to adjust to; Vader had access to boardwide swap, and with Thrawn's Master Tactician and the old initiative rules he could attack again at the start of the next round before being swapped for safety.

Quote:

Black & Blue (150)
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
75 Darth Vader Jedi Hunter
08 Mas Amedda
30 Stormtrooper x6

At the time, it was hard for most squads to keep up with the movement, and San Hill squads, which could outactivate Thrawn, evolved as a counter. If I understand it correctly, Vader Jedi Hunter quickly had to cede the majority of the time in Black and Blue squads with Lord Vader, when he was released in Bounty Hunters - while Lord Vader isn't as defensively stout, he's much more of an offensive threat, with his ability to do damage on the move with Lightsaber Assault.

It also feels like Vader Jedi Hunter has been replaced by the recent Vader DLotS, who has identical stats, Djem So, and a wide range of offensive force powers, and who's also slightly cheaper, although I haven't seen him played much. Vader Jedi Hunter had his time in the sun, but as a competitive piece he's ridden off into the sunset - I've never seen him on the table, as Thrawn squads favour more mobile attackers like Cad Bane and Lord Vader. 6/10.

* still struggling with flu - it took me an hour to write three paragraphs on a piece that probably deserves more coverage - feel free to input anything I've missed.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:15:47 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Actually, if I have 11pts left in a Tarpals squad then I'll take a Gungan Artillerist every time. Maybe I'd go with the Zabrak if I had no other use for my Lobot reinforcements...even then Momaw is only 4pts more and is more effective in every way.

The Gungan is Republic so he can't be brought in through Lobot.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:13:20 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

The Gungan is Republic so he can't be brought in through Lobot.
Yes, I'm aware of that. If I had 11pts left over in my base squad build, I'd use an Artillerist. I'd only consider the Zabrak if I had 11pts to spare as a Lobot reinforcement option...but Momaw is a far better option there, especially with Tarpals.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:40:52 PM

Eeth Koth, from Vengeance

Quote:
32 points, Republic
Hit Points: 90
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Embrace of Pain (+1 Attack and +1 Defense for every 10 points of damage currently on this character)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Lightsaber Riposte (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker)

I've never seen Eeth Koth on the table; I guess since he's mainly a defensive piece, he's not that sexy. The most interesting thing about Eeth Koth is his Embrace of Pain, as otherwise he's a reasonably standard 32 point Jedi, who's fairly comparable in stats and abilities to the 26 point Jedi Weapon Master, although lacking in any kind of ranged defense.

With Embrace of Pain, Eeth's most obvious synergy is with GOWK; with GOWK's +4 defense in play and Embrace of Pain at full throttle, Eeth Koth can get up to a +24 attack and a +34 defense in cover, although it also means that you're dropping a lot of points on defense, but still have defensive weak points - Eeth Koth has no ranged defense apart from an increasing natural defense rating, and both are still vulnerable to direct damage.

Despite a general affection for Republic Jedi, Eeth Koth's not really a favourite of mine - I've never felt the urge to play him, even though he looks solid enough. 6/10.
sharron
Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 4:15:03 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Eeth Koth, from Vengeance

Quote:
32 points, Republic
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Embrace of Pain (+1 Attack and +1 Defense for every 10 points of damage currently on this character)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Lightsaber Riposte (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker)

I've never seen Eeth Koth on the table; I guess since he's mainly a defensive piece, he's not that sexy. The most interesting thing about Eeth Koth is his Embrace of Pain, as otherwise he's a reasonably standard 32 point Jedi, who's fairly comparable in stats and abilities to the 26 point Jedi Weapon Master, although lacking in any kind of ranged defense.

With Embrace of Pain, Eeth's most obvious synergy is with GOWK; with GOWK's +4 defense in play and Embrace of Pain at full throttle, Eeth Koth can get up to a +24 attack and a +34 defense in cover, although it also means that you're dropping a lot of points on defense, but still have defensive weak points - Eeth Koth has no ranged defense apart from an increasing natural defense rating, and both are still vulnerable to direct damage.

Despite a general affection for Republic Jedi, Eeth Koth's not really a favourite of mine - I've never felt the urge to play him, even though he looks solid enough. 6/10.

I made a gorgeous little squad with this guy to utilize light saber assault. It had jorus, tarpals, luminary JM, baris, and possibly ferus.. But it was pretty fun, eeth could double assault, baris could double heal, and with synergy, EoP and jorus commander effect, there were some crazy stats flying about :) was fun!
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 2:10:56 PM

Weequay Thug, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
6 points, Fringe
Defense: 13
Attack: 2
Damage: 10

Gunner (Can combine fire with adjacent allies who have Mounted Weapon)
Rapport (Costs 1 less when in the same squad as a character named Jabba the Hutt)

I guess you could make an argument that the Weequay Thug is the cheapest piece with gunner, and that he has a niche, but Gunner is a tough SA to utilise since it requires adjacency and it's hard for a 10 hit point piece to stick around long enough to use it. And apart from Gunner, the Thug isn't great for the points - you're much better off with spending 4 points on a Peace Brigade Thug than dropping 6 points on this. 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:48:47 PM

Lieutenant Page, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
22 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16
Attack: 9
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Commando
Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Commander Effect
Non-Unique Commandos in your squad within 6 squares gain Squad Cover and Twin Attack.

Elite Rebel Commandos were clearly the strongest non-unique Rebel Commandos that WOTC released, and Lieutenant Page feels like an effort to bring some of the other commandos up to speed. Page's Commander Effect gives non-unique Commandos Squad Cover and Twin Attack. The Fringe Wookiee Commandos, the Bothan Commandos with deadeye and intuition, and the Commando on Speeder Bike are all good options for twin - and once they're also boosted with Crix Madine's Cunning +20, there's potential for some hard hitting commandos. Wookiee Commandos with Charging Fire from Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor enjoyed some play in the Destiny of the Force era.

Rebel Commando builds certainly aren't the be all and end all - with low attacks, all of the Commando options get down to popguns quickly once they run out of unactivated targets to shoot at, so they need to be complemented with some good opportunist attackers as well. In a competitive game it's still probably easier just to use Elite Rebel Commandos, rather than drop the 22 points on Page. But Lieutenant Page is a great idea for a piece - he brings some underused pieces back to the table, and opens up some new builds, and he's a well thought out Tier 2 piece. 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:36:56 PM

Barriss Offee, Rogue Jedi, from Armed and Operational

Quote:
31 points, Fringe
Attack 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Loner (+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Mines 20 (An enemy that moves adjacent to this character takes 20 damage; save 11)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Grip 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: sight; 20 damage)

Barriss Offee is from the most recent set, so I haven't seen her in action yet, but she definitely has her uses. With Mines 20 and Lightsaber Riposte (with twin), she's a really good strafe counter, which alone makes her a good option for some builds. With stealth she has some ranged defense, and force grip 2 provides an auto damage as well. Barriss Offee, Rogue Jedi seems like a really solid Jedi for the cost, I'm sure she'll turn up in a good squad somewhere along the way. 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:16:38 PM

Darth Sidious, from Clone Strike

Quote:
36 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 19

Special Abilities
Unique
Dark Master (At the start of the skirmish, choose a Unique allied character. That character may spend this character's Force points as if they were its own.)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Pawn of the Dark Side (Force 1, replaces attacks: sight; 1 non-Unique ally takes an immediate turn, which does not count as one of your 2 activations this phase; at the end of that turn, it takes 10 damage)
Sith Lightning 30 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage)

Commander Effect
Each non-Unique follower within 6 squares who scores a critical hit may make an immediate extra attack.

Considering how dated most of Clone Strike looks through modern eyes, Darth Sidious just looks like a colossus in comparison, notching up masses of Regional wins. His key ability is Pawn of the Dark Side, which allows a non-unique to take an extra turn - while it's useful with a variety of non-uniques, such as pawning Geonosian Drones to trigger their self-destruct, it's seen the most success with the IG Lancer droid, which gains incredible range, as it can go 48 squares in a single phase, strafing everything along the way. Here's an example of a successful Sidious/Lancer combo, from greentime.

Quote:
--Iggy needs a posture pal--
36 Darth Sidious
30 IG Lancer Droid
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
32 IG-86 Assassin Droid x2
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
9 Poggle the Lesser
8 Battle Droid Officer
12 Geonosian Drone x6
4 Mouse Droid x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 8 Muun Tactics Broker
(Lobot) 12 Mouse Droid x6
(200pts. 25 activations)

And here's the squad that was top after Swiss at GenCon last year, from TimmerB123:
Quote:
--NPE EXTREME!!!--
36 Darth Sidious
30 IG Lancer Droid
27 Lobot
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
12 Gha Nachkt
12 Klatooinian Assassin
10 San Hill
9 Poggle the Lesser
8 Battle Droid Officer
14 R7 Astromech Droid x2
28 Geonosian Drone x14
(199pts. 25 activations)

Sidious has been at the centre of almost every successful Separatist squad since forever - his Pawn of the Dark Side has been the best movement breaker that the Separatists have been able to access, while he's also respectable otherwise for 36 points, with 130 hit points and force lightning to help with cleanup. Perhaps with the recent Lancer hate, and recent alternatives to the Lancer with the higher cost Unique strafers that Sidious can't pawn, he's not quite as central as he was, but Darth Sidious is still a colossus of the game, astoundingly amazing compared to almost any other piece from the game's early days, 11/10.