RegisterDonateLogin

Will grant you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fortress.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
harryg
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:41:18 AM
Groups: Member

12/10 from me. TheHutts mainly talked about pawn of the dark side, but he's also packing auto damage in lightning, a mini battery in dark master, and a mediocre commander effect that I think could be a useful little boost when combined with admiral trench and the combat engineer.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:48:12 PM

harryg wrote:
12/10 from me. TheHutts mainly talked about pawn of the dark side, but he's also packing auto damage in lightning, a mini battery in dark master, and a mediocre commander effect that I think could be a useful little boost when combined with admiral trench and the combat engineer.

Lightning is definitely good. I am a little dubious about Dark Master though - he just doesn't really have enough force points going around to share them, and often there aren't many other uniques in a typical Sidious squad. The Commander Effect would be much more useful if it worked on droids. I definitely think that Pawn of the Dark Side is his big thing - along with his high hit points for his cost, and lightning for cleanup. But he's such a good piece - the only other piece from Clone Strike that was anywhere near his level before v-set help IMO is the Battle Droid Officer.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:15:49 PM

Czerka Scientist, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
13 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 1
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Blaster Rifle Upgrade (Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 20 Damage gain Jolt)
Blaster Upgrade (Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 Damage gain Twin Attack)

The Czerka Scientist is a fascinating piece - it's so fragile that it's hard to use effectively and it doesn't see a lot of tournament play as a result. Conversely, it can add so much punch to a squad, handing out twin and jolt, that it's something that designers have to consider when designing any non-melee piece with 10 damage. With the v-sets, Mandos, Rebels, and New Republic all have sturdier Blaster Upgrade pieces available, so the Czerka is unlikely to see play in those factions, but it still has a bunch of potential uses, including:

- Original Atton Rand in the Old Republic can get huge damage output with twin.
- Captain Rex is a great candidate for jolt.
- Snowtrooper Daala swarms can double their damage output with twin.

The Czerka is clearly a very significant piece - even though it's so fragile that it can get picked off quickly by an accurate shooter or a strafer, it can also add huge value to a squad with its upgrades. 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:26:37 PM

Neimoidian Warrior, from The Clone Wars

Quote:
16 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 9
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)

The Neimoidian Warrior isn't a bad little scrub - while the stats aren't great, Accurate Shot is a very helpful Special Ability, and he can access twin easily with General Whorm Loathsom and rapport with Poggle the Lesser. Unfortunately, after that, he's lacking in support - I don't think there's any way to help him, apart from weird roundabout things like Jolee Vindaloo's Force Valor, as he's slightly too expensive to benefit from the Techno Union Combat Engineer. At 40 hit points they're vulnerable to strafe, and they're unlikely to see play ahead of choice and slightly cheaper fringe options like the Rodian Assassin and Klatooinian Assassin. The Neimoidian Warrior is competent enough, but lacking in support and slightly low in stats and hit points to really be a serious competitive option, 5/10.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:47:30 AM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
13 points, Fringe

Special Abilities
Blaster Rifle Upgrade (Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 20 Damage gain Jolt)
Blaster Upgrade (Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 Damage gain Twin Attack)

The Czerka Scientist is a fascinating piece - it's so fragile that it's hard to use effectively and it doesn't see a lot of tournament play as a result. Conversely, it can add so much punch to a squad, handing out twin and jolt, that it's something that designers have to consider when designing any non-melee piece with 10 damage. With the v-sets, Mandos, Rebels, and New Republic all have sturdier Blaster Upgrade pieces available, so the Czerka is unlikely to see play in those factions, but it still has a bunch of potential uses, including:

The Czerka is clearly a very significant piece - even though it's so fragile that it can get picked off quickly by an accurate shooter or a strafer, it can also add huge value to a squad with its upgrades. 9/10.

The Czerka Scientist is a weird piece to rate, because it is both weak but potentially amazing. New players usually underrate it and average players usually overrate it. New players underrate it because it's tech, and new players usually underrate tech. When you're brand new to the game, you usually just play fighting bodies, because you don't know how to use tech as well. When you get a little better, you usually overrate the Czerka, because she has the potential to give SO MUCH power. You look at every non-melee piece with 10 Damage and think "This piece can do double damage with a Czerka!". Then you play her, she gets killed, and you realize that it's very, very hard to use a range-6 SA to boost an attacker when the piece giving it is one of the most fragile pieces in the whole game.

I'd give her an 8/10. She can be bonkers good in the right squad, but you have to be really good at the game to play her right, or else you're just gonna get her killed.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:32:03 PM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
13 points, Fringe

Special Abilities

New favorite squad for her:

--Protection Erection--
38 Mandalore the Resurrector
28 Kelborn
27 Fenn Shysa
27 Lobot
26 Ghes Orade
17 Mandalorian Protector
13 Czerka Scientist
12 Mandalorian Counter-Intelligence Officer
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(199pts. 10 activations)

She gives Kelborn and the CIO twin, while giving Mando the Res, Fenn, the protector and Ghes jolt (MtR gives them twin). Double accurate greater mobile with jolt is awesome!

Best thing is that she's easy to protect. 3 bodyguards, and if they do try and hit her, your bodyguards hit back with twin, while still protecting her.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 3:06:16 PM

I had her in my Bad GAS squad, and she was easy to protect mainly because no one wanted to expose themselves to a lot of firepower to try and kill her. But yes positioning is huge with this piece. I think I would rate her a 7, maybe 8.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 3:28:20 PM

Republic Commando Fi, from Vengeance

Quote:
25 points, Republic
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 17
Attack: 10
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Omega Squad (Counts as a character with Order 66 for the purposes of Commander Effects and cannot be in an Imperial squad)
Advanced Door Gimmick (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open; it remain open and cannot be closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Rapport (This character costs 1 less when in the same squad as a character with Omega Squad)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Traps (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Defense)

As we've seen a couple of times, the Republic Commandos from the early sets were looking very dated, and the release of the Omega Squad in the v-sets is a welcome addition. Fi is the most tech-oriented piece from the Omega squad - he brings Traps and Advanced Door Gimmick (which overrides override) to the table - although he's also a good shooter. Like the rest of Omega squad, he needs support from GOWK (better stats and a damage soak) and Captain Rex (Greater Mobile) to thrive. With nothing to really deal with high activation squads or tanks, the Omega squads aren't top tier, but they're a fun tier two build, and Fi is definitely a very useful addition to Republic Commando builds. 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 4:11:55 PM

Neimoidian Soldier, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
10 points, Separatist
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)

We already covered the halfway decent Neimoidian Warrior this page, and the Soldier feels like it's far inferior, as 10 points is too much to pay for a 10 hit point piece with no ranged defense. Even though accurate shot is very useful and +7 attack is very respectable on a 10 point piece, there's no way that this piece is worth bringing to a table anywhere. I'd be amazed if anyone anywhere in the world has run these in the last five years. 1/10.
pegolego
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 5:54:12 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Neimoidian Soldier, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
10 points, Separatist
Attack: 7

Special Abilities

I'd be amazed if anyone anywhere in the world has run these in the last five years. 1/10.

Challenge accepted Cool
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 5:58:57 PM

pegolego wrote:
Challenge accepted Cool

It doesn't count if you're just doing it to prove me wrong. Razz
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:59:33 PM

I'm just happy we got 2 sculpts of Angus Young in SWM!!!!LOL LOL LOL Woot
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 7:03:14 PM

Looks like a left-handed Angus Young.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 7:04:04 PM

talented fella
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 7:30:11 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I'd be amazed if anyone anywhere in the world has run these in the last five years.

Not in a regular squad, but they are quite handy in a sealed tournament or booster league.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:34:33 AM

TheHutts wrote:
pegolego wrote:
Challenge accepted Cool

Actually I will count it if he can manage to win a regional/major with it. Heck I'd even give credit for a top 4.

Anyone can run any figure. That's no challenge. WINNING with crappy figures is a challenge.
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:49:02 AM

TheHutts wrote:
pegolego wrote:
Challenge accepted Cool

I actually thought I already had, but that was the V-set Neimoidian... Anyway, I'mma still straight up swarm these guys... With the Techno Union Engineer, they can be handy Accurate 'Droids' with respectable attacks, an advantage they have over the 16 point Neimoidians that are too expensive for such a use.

Unless there's a Fringe piece I'm failing to remember that is more useful and Accurate. I still don't think they are a 1/10.
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:57:29 AM

Never mind. These guys are a MUCH less attractive option when set next to the 12 point piece that's practically identical, but beefier and with Careful Shot and Deadeye.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:29:28 PM

pegolego wrote:
Never mind. These guys are a MUCH less attractive option when set next to the 12 point piece that's practically identical, but beefier and with Careful Shot and Deadeye.

Rodian Assassin with Stealth is a really good piece too - and they get charging fire with Cad Bane BH.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:27:24 PM

Chazrach, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
10 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 15
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Charging Assault +10 (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then make an attack at +10 Damage against an adjacent enemy)
Slave (This character has Savage and -2 Defense unless an allied commander is within 6 squares)
Vonduun Crab Armor 11 (When this character takes damage, it can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)

I love these little guys - they have good movement with Charging Assault, they're plenty beefy for their cost with 50 hit points and crab armour 11, and if you can boost their attack they can cause problems for plenty of squads. While they have a specific commander, Commander Tsalok, who gives them +2 attack, and they're also subject to Vong SAs like Shaper and Scarification, tournament results have indicated that they're most successful paired with Celeste Morne - as long as they're not within 6 of a commander, they're up to a +12 attack and 30 damage as long as they move. Kezzamachine took this squad to the final of the NZ National Championship last year - he can also bring in Malakili for Overwhelming Power if necessary:

Quote:
--Chazrachs for Hire--
51 Celeste Morne
44 Zam Wesell, Bounty Hunter
27 Lobot
60 Chazrach x6
9 Mouse Droid x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Really good piece for the cost - if there is a weakness, it's that even with the boost, their attack's a bit low (even with Celeste it's still only +12, which means you're relying on dice). They're not the Vong's premier option, but a nice changeup option who have shown that they can compete at the top tables, 9/10.