RegisterDonateLogin

As wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

WI 2015 Regional Saturday, June 27 Options
Jonnyb815
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:30:18 PM
Groups: Member

ii don't even play x-xing but why is this the same day as that event?
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:17:06 PM

what xwing thing are you talking about?
Chargers
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:32:48 PM

Jonnyb815 wrote:

????

X-Wing is on Friday nights. The SWM is Saturday.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:37:23 PM

I've never played a tournament. I have 3 squads I have been dying to try at a competitive level. I'm from Dubuque Ia so it's a 2.5 hour drive, is it worth my time or am I going to get laughed out of the room?

I don't have all the exact minis to match the V-sets I would use. Will I get clowned on for this?

Also, what will the fee be to get in?
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 7:37:43 PM

donnyrides wrote:
I've never played a tournament. I have 3 squads I have been dying to try at a competitive level. I'm from Dubuque Ia so it's a 2.5 hour drive, is it worth my time or am I going to get laughed out of the room?

I don't have all the exact minis to match the V-sets I would use. Will I get clowned on for this?

My first Competetive tournament i took OR trooper... (Facepalm) I never felt like anyone was laughing at me though. On the contrary, everyone was always very encouraging and helpful. Especially when it came to learning how to play in a tournament format.

Nowadays proxies are almost encouraged... Painting your own figures and what not. Sometimes I proxy pieces when I think one looks better suited to the character. Other times when i simply can't find the right pieces. The point is no or should laugh at you. Everyone may get frustrated if you happen to bring all of your vaders and use them as Vong scouts!!! (I'm looking at you urbanjedi!, lol)

As for entry fee, the last two that I went to were 15 dollars.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 7:49:47 PM

donnyrides wrote:

No one will laugh at you. Wisconsin has really nice playgroup and some of the nicest players around. You wont get clowned for not having all the correct figures. I myself don't have all the ones for the squads I made for my friends that are coming, but as long as the opponent knows that they are before you start playing, then it shouldn't be a problem.

It's a 7 hour drive for me to come down to this, but someone from Minnesota has gotta represent. ThumbsUp

Will be a fun tournament and the two guys I am bringing haven't ever playing a star wars mini's tournament before either, but I hopefully will have trained them well before we arrive. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:06:50 AM

another quick question: Are we going to be using the 3-2-1 scoring system for this regional? I saw they did that in a couple other regional's this year.
donnyrides
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:48:21 AM

My Son has a baseball tournament the same weekend. I guess I'm out. Grrr I was super excited about testing myself. Family first....

Are there ever tournaments in Iowa?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:56:00 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Mando wrote:
another quick question: Are we going to be using the 3-2-1 scoring system for this regional? I saw they did that in a couple other regional's this year.

That should be how it's done at every regional/major tournament, as it's part of the floor rules.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:24:46 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Mando wrote:

That should be how it's done at every regional/major tournament, as it's part of the floor rules.

ok, thats cool. Really makes it a lot more fun i think when you lose but manage to get the 1pt win for playing aggressively and trying for the 3pt win.
philn1i1
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:30:52 PM

Chargers wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:

????

X-Wing is on Friday nights. The SWM is Saturday.

I think what you are referring to is the Regional in Greenfield on the same date. Unfortunately, FFG sets their own regional dates. The WI minis regional was already scheduled well before FFG released their dates. We talked about changing our date so that some of us could make it up to Greenfield as well, but we decided against it as many people had already begun making plans to come on the 27th.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:25:28 AM

I won't be going.

I don't feel like trying to meta game vs what Tim will bring. It was a fun in 2009-2010 when WOTC was around but it has got old fast.

Mando
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:18:07 PM

Jonnyb815 wrote:
I won't be going.

I don't feel like trying to meta game vs what Tim will bring. It was a fun in 2009-2010 when WOTC was around but it has got old fast.

I think the gungan squad was quite powerful vs what Tim won with in the last regional Jonny...just saying. BigGrin

Your old gungan squad you ran years ago could make a major comeback! ThumbsUp
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:55:07 PM

Jonnyb815 wrote:
I won't be going.

Bryan and myself should be going Jonny. I think gungans can do pretty dang good against a majority of squads. Just make sure you have an answer to strafe. I hope you change your mind, but it not you will be missed...
Jonnyb815
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:05:44 PM

atmsalad wrote:
Jonnyb815 wrote:
I won't be going.

Bryan and myself should be going Jonny. I think gungans can do pretty dang good against a majority of squads. Just make sure you have an answer to strafe. I hope you change your mind, but it not you will be missed...

I might stop by to say whats up but don't plan on playing. I have just moved on to other things. To be honest the Imperial Assault rules confuse me now after playing that game so long I have kind of forgot the rules of this game lol.

So my comment commenting about the 2010 Chicago regional when I brought a counter just vs Lancer then played TIm twice that day. I also wanted to play new MOTF figures that year then went on to lose to Deri in the Finals. Then in 2009 playing Tim at Chicago I bought Gungans vs Speeder which is an even match if I win map played Tim in the finals that year and lost. The only time I made the finals and won was at WI in 2010 vs Matt which Tim was not at.

It just seems my thinking and my set changes when Tim is at an event and he gets in my darn head. Darn Tim lol

For some reason if I do play it will be Republic but you all knew that lol.

Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:14:02 PM

So...I will definitely be coming, but, like the genius that I am, I forgot in the excitement of building a squad to make sure that I had a map from the restricted lists being used.
...and I do not.
As I probably won't be able to get one in time, would it be possible for me to use an extra that someone has? If I could choose I'd like to use Bothan Spynet or Theed Palace, but anything would be fine.

Edit: I would like to just borrow the map for the day.
Lily_Wan
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:23:56 PM

I'll bring those maps.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 10:35:54 PM

Jonny, you played at WI last year and I had a tier 2 squad. I haven't played many top tier squads at regionals in the past 2 years.

Scared of that OR squad I ran in IN? ;)

I hope you do come. I play regionals for fun now.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 10:59:47 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Jonny, you played at WI last year and I had a tier 2 squad. I haven't played many top tier squads at regionals in the past 2 years.

Luke and Leia?Blink lol
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:18:51 AM

atmsalad wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Luke and Leia?Blink lol

That's the only one in about 10-11 regionals. I don't think that counts as "many", lol. The ironic thing is that I never won with them.