RegisterDonateLogin

Unleashed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Your regional Team? Options
Robin
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:58:15 PM
Groups: Member

I know that we all can't make it to a regional tournament Angry , But if you could go what would the 150 point team be that you use?

I would use my 150 - Mandalorian Team - Mandalorian Revolt

Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
Mandalorian Commander
Mandalorian Scout x3
Mouse Droid x2
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

The commander gives twin to the scouts, and the mouse droids are there to make the range longer for the commander and fetts CE, so they don't all have to be toghter in a single spot. The Ugnaughts are there for door control and activations, and fetts there because he's kick ass. He's also there cause his accurate shot ability helps out the scout greatly, plus fett is an extremely deadly piece if played correctly. With all of his abilities fett's the main driving force of the team.

What would be the team you would use?
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:34:01 PM

If I walked into a competitive 200-point game, knowing nothing of the opponent or map, I'd bring in my Malicious Cade team. It's got range, melee, door control, plenty of activations, swarm control, a pair of beats, lots of Force, oh yes, and did I mention that it is Sith? ThumbsUp Check it out under the My Squads list, and please rate it while you're at it. Danke ThumpUp
arrcot
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:58:44 PM

gotta go with the Rebel commandos

Rieekan 14
Crix madine 16
5 X elite rebel commandos 80
T3M4 17
and the capper
Rebel commando strike leader 18

cunning 20 twin with mobile evade their attack is only at a +11 but the superstealth is usually enough to back that up. door control is a no brainer here.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:37:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

--Yobuck Strikes Back--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
27 Lobot
23 Captain Panaka
23 Padme Amidala, Senator
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Lobot:
20 Gran Raider x5
(149pts. 13 activations)
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:00:36 AM

mercenary_moose wrote:
If I walked into a competitive 200-point game,

Regionals are 150pts.....

And it starts with GOWK. The support is the only thing that may vary.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:19:18 AM

You would think everyone is going to play GOWK, but last Monday at our 150 (where most were practicing their regional squads) there was not one among them. Seems most people I see are building to beat GOWK.
IG-108
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:39:49 AM

Out of all the pieces I have, this is the only squad I can come up with that's somewhat competitive for regionals.

57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
68 IG-86 Assassin Droid x4
10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 9 activations)

[Reserves]

San Hill:
14 Heavy Super Battle Droid
6 Rocket Battle Droid
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:08:29 AM

Mickey wrote:
You would think everyone is going to play GOWK, but last Monday at our 150 (where most were practicing their regional squads) there was not one among them. Seems most people I see are building to beat GOWK.

There are people playing in your regional not from your area. They are likely playing GOWK. Building to beat GOWK in the hands of a top level player is not easy, not in a tournament environment.

What you are seeing is a number of things. People are trying stuff, they are playing the meta game, they are learning the "counter squads" and when it comes down to it, 25% of your field will play GOWK. Those that do not, will build their squad because of GOWK and GOWK alone. Most of those squads will have glaring weaknesses and those players, may place high, but will have about a 1% chance of winning the event.

GOWK will win the event, unless by some oddity, one of the top players doesn't show with it and everyone else by happenstance decides not to run it that day (which is possible, however unlikely).

And if people do that, it's their own mistake to make. GOWK gives you the best odds, and unlike past eras where a meta building to beat the top squad could actually make the top squad hard to run, GOWK isn't this way. It beats most of the counters better than 50% of the time in the hands of a top level player. Anyone who knows this, recognizes this, and plays in your regional, will play some GOWK variant.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:10:09 AM

IG-108 wrote:
Out of all the pieces I have, this is the only squad I can come up with that's somewhat competitive for regionals.

10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer
(150pts. 9 activations)

[Reserves]

San Hill:
6 Rocket Battle Droid

This is actually a fine squad. My suggestion is to drop the BDO for two BDs. You really won't need the extra +4 attack, and you will want some scrub killers so that you aren't wasting IG attacks on ugos. Otherwise, take it to regionals, it will do well.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:42:25 AM

If I can make it this is one of the 3 squads I am planning on using.

Admiral Ackbars Regional Team 150
51 Yoda on Kybuck
33 Captain Rex
23 Captain Panaka
18 Jar Jar Binks
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 8 activations)
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:19:02 AM

Here is what I was going to play if I was able to make it to the event.

56 Jango Fett, Bounty Hunter
28 Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
14 General Rieekan
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
3 Mouse Droid

150 pts.- 10 Activations

I like it because it has good Attack values, GMA makes Jango a beast, and a great set of options for auto damage (Flamethrower, Missles, Force Push and a Bomb).

What do you guys think?

Nightwalker
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:34:19 AM

billiv15 wrote:
There are people playing in your regional not from your area. They are likely playing GOWK. Building to beat GOWK in the hands of a top level player is not easy, not in a tournament environment.

What you are seeing is a number of things. People are trying stuff, they are playing the meta game, they are learning the "counter squads" and when it comes down to it, 25% of your field will play GOWK. Those that do not, will build their squad because of GOWK and GOWK alone. Most of those squads will have glaring weaknesses and those players, may place high, but will have about a 1% chance of winning the event.

GOWK will win the event, unless by some oddity, one of the top players doesn't show with it and everyone else by happenstance decides not to run it that day (which is possible, however unlikely).

And if people do that, it's their own mistake to make. GOWK gives you the best odds, and unlike past eras where a meta building to beat the top squad could actually make the top squad hard to run, GOWK isn't this way. It beats most of the counters better than 50% of the time in the hands of a top level player. Anyone who knows this, recognizes this, and plays in your regional, will play some GOWK variant.

You can't base your squad only on gowk and gowk is not the only thing that will win regionals. There are several other options to consider and saying that gowk variants will win all the regionals is just unrealistic. Though Gowk squads are hard to defeat it is not impossible and you don't need to built a pure hate squad to do so.

LV, though i hate to admit it is one of the best examples of this, overwhelming assault and oppurtunist will send gowk/yobuck packing.
IG-108
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:37:49 AM

billiv15 wrote:
IG-108 wrote:

10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer
(150pts. 9 activations)

[Reserves]

San Hill:
6 Rocket Battle Droid

This is actually a fine squad. My suggestion is to drop the BDO for two BDs. You really won't need the extra +4 attack, and you will want some scrub killers so that you aren't wasting IG attacks on ugos. Otherwise, take it to regionals, it will do well.

Thanks for the compliment. It's a useful idea, I don't want to be wasting my IGs attacks on swarm pieces, but if I add two battle droids, their just as easy a target as the uggies. Which could mean easy points for my opponent. Plus, the extra +4 attack from the BDO that my 86s get will help fend off any other high defense pieces.
However, if I manage to get San's reserves, they can be used to take out the weak swarm pieces.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:55:19 AM

IG-108 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
IG-108 wrote:

10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer
(150pts. 9 activations)

[Reserves]

San Hill:
6 Rocket Battle Droid

Thanks for the compliment. It's a useful idea, I don't want to be wasting my IGs attacks on swarm pieces, but if I add two battle droids, their just as easy a target as the uggies. Which could mean easy points for my opponent. Plus, the extra +4 attack from the BDO that my 86s get will help fend off any other high defense pieces.
However, if I manage to get San's reserves, they can be used to take out the weak swarm pieces.

My brother has played this squad and has won 3/4 games he played with it.

GGDAC 57
San 10
Gha 12
BDO 8
x3 IG-86 48
x 3 Battle Droids 9
x2 Ug Demos
12 activations and you get some cheap shooters and cheap repair.

billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:30:31 AM

Nightwalker wrote:

You can't base your squad only on gowk and gowk is not the only thing that will win regionals. There are several other options to consider and saying that gowk variants will win all the regionals is just unrealistic. Though Gowk squads are hard to defeat it is not impossible and you don't need to built a pure hate squad to do so.

LV, though i hate to admit it is one of the best examples of this, overwhelming assault and oppurtunist will send gowk/yobuck packing.

The only way GOWK doesn't win a given regional is if the top 2-3 players do not run it, or if say the best player running it has absolutely terrible luck.

LV has plenty of issues that I am not going to cover here. He can win it, but his odds are no better than the other 2-3 squads that can beat GOWK at winning the whole thing.

You'll see, as the results come in, virtually every regional will be won by GOWK.

So far, we are 1-0, with two more coming in this Sat as well in Atlanta and the quasi-regional in Wisconsin.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:43:25 AM

Mickey wrote:

Mickey which regional are you going to?

If Chicago you will see Gowk.

If Kentucky you will see Gowk.

If Cincinati you will see Gowk.

And if you are coming to Springfield, Mo I can personally guarantee you will see Gowk.
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:57:19 AM

This is probably what Id do, its just for fun but can do lots of damage

Exar Kun 84
Rakghoul 16
Rancor 33
Uggie X4 12
Camaasi Nobile 5
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:18:09 PM

I have to say that i agree with the people saying that GOWK will not win. He's a pain in the ass, but there are still ways to beat a GOWK squad. I'm not saying that he's not one of the best pieces i'm just saying that there's ways around a GOWK squad. . I personally don't think the winning team will have GOWk in it, that just me though.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:39:24 PM

Robin wrote:
I have to say that i agree with the people saying that GOWK will not win. He's a pain in the ass, but there are still ways to beat a GOWK squad. I'm not saying that he's not one of the best pieces i'm just saying that there's ways around a GOWK squad. I also have to say that he comes in a starter set, and i don't think that this will apply to a regionals, because youre there cause u know and like the game. But just against an average person with GOWK isn't as hard as its made out to be. I personally don't think the winning team will have GOWk in it, that just me though.

But one regional has happened and Gowk won it. Wedge from Texas played it and it came in first.

In fact, out of the top 6 half of those were Gowk squads. The only exception being one younger player that played Gowk with zero door control. He came in 12th.

So Gowk already has managed a win.

Your point is that if an average person plays Gowk he will lose. How badly will that player lose without Gowk. How easy would it then be. That average player would be better served by learning the game and taking his lumps than having a fig in his squad that can absord 600 damage in a game. It seems they will get a false reading on how good they are.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:03:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It must be nice under the sand...

I am not taking the regionals too seriously, but I am pretty certain I will see multiple GOWK squads at both Kalamazoo and Chicago (or maybe not, since it is quite likely for me to be at the bottom tables, lol). To dismiss GOWK is just plain silly. Moreso than any other top squad, you MUST plan to face him, or accept the loss.

EDIT: Now that the Yodabuck/GOWK squad has won one regional, expect it to be netdecked by lesser players.