RegisterDonateLogin

We're gonna have company!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Your regional Team? Options
Mickey
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 12:41:16 PM
Groups: Member

A large amount of the complaints I've heard are from conversations not forums. I guess it is safe to assume many of these players are reading forums and it just seems alot of people are complaining about not being able to beat the piece. I've heard no one in my conversations complain yet about being to win too easily with it. This is the first time I have heard this. I freely admit I do not follow alot of sites and only post here on a regular basis. I call it "whining" because these players are saying it's unfair to play the piece because it is unbeatable. I don't see it that way. I just see it as players crying foul because they are losing. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption.

Shouldn't the best players playing the best pieces win most of the time? From the outcomes in the tourneys are bad players winning with GOWK? The one post someone copied over from WOTC where Nivuhac posted he came in cold and is a bad player is just his modesty. He even replied saying he sucked to my post on WOTC. That is not true LOL. I was his final match whom barely won and I did not find him to be a bad player. Myself, as I said, I consider average and it didn't benefit me any more than any other squad playing GOWK in my final standings. As I said it is just my personal opinion that GOWK is not as all powerful as everyone is commenting. Maybe it is just my inexperience in playing.

I also want to make sure you do not think I am trying to belittle you billiv. I know you are a well respected player in the SWM community and it is players such as you that keep this game going strong. For that reason I respect you as well. I just disagree with the opinion that GOWK is too powerful and needs to be banned. I hope you have not taken offense at any of my comments because I truly did not try to disrespect you. If I did I apologize. I think most of the people that know me personally or have met me would tell you I'm not like that.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 12:50:01 PM

Mickey wrote:
I also want to make sure you do not think I am trying to belittle you billiv. I know you are a well respected player in the SWM community and it is players such as you that keep this game going strong. For that reason I respect you as well. I just disagree with the opinion that GOWK is too powerful and needs to be banned. I hope you have not taken offense at any of my comments because I truly did not try to disrespect you. If I did I apologize. I think most of the people that know me personally or have met me would tell you I'm not like that.

Of course not, I never take internet posts as an offense worthy statement :) Tone and other aspects of posting make it impossible to really know what someone is like just from the internet. I certainly have been on the end of poor assumptions about me based on posting style in the past, so I am careful never to make those about others :)

Anyways, back on topic, I will be playing some version of GOWK in Chicago on Sat. That should be a very telling tournament, as I think, based on who has said they are coming, it may have the largest turnout of any regional, and most certainly should be near or at the top of the list in competitiveness.

If all goes to plan, we should have at least 5 Hall of Famers, 3 former Gencon Champs, 2 people who have already won a regional (one of which has won 2) and from last years Gencon tournament the following placers:

1, 3 (only unbeaten after 7 rounds), 5, 9, 10, and two players who due to a wedding did not play in the champ, but in 2007 finished 9 and 15.

Not to mention a number of other really good players who can beat anyone of us if they play well and things go their way.
Mickey
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 2:16:05 PM

Wow. Well I for one look forward to the results. I would like to know if any bad players use the piece and actually does well, but it doesn't sound like there will be many bad players there LOL
LoboStele
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:56:22 AM

Mickey wrote:
A large amount of the complaints I've heard are from conversations not forums. I guess it is safe to assume many of these players are reading forums and it just seems alot of people are complaining about not being able to beat the piece. I've heard no one in my conversations complain yet about being to win too easily with it. This is the first time I have heard this. I freely admit I do not follow alot of sites and only post here on a regular basis. I call it "whining" because these players are saying it's unfair to play the piece because it is unbeatable. I don't see it that way. I just see it as players crying foul because they are losing. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption.

Nah, I think you're pretty accurate. I've had quite a few conversations with people where a large part of the talk is that "it's impossible to beat GOWK." While the statement itself isn't necessarily true, what they really mean is that it's impossible for them to beat someone playing GOWK. Big difference. It's usually a reflection on that player's skill, or possibly that their collection is limited in such a way that they don't have the right pieces in order to stand up to GOWK.

But it's good to note, again, who is saying which things. This could be difficult depending on how long you've been associated with the game, but it's basically gone like this. Anyone "whining" about the piece or the possible ban are usually newer players. Either players with less experience, or those with smaller collections. On the flip side of the conversation, the players with plenty of experience, and those who have nearly complete collections, you won't find any of them complaining about GOWK being unbeatable. That's never been a part of the argument. Personally, to some degree, I'm getting tired of being labeled a "whiner" or a "complainer". Some people (not you, Mickey) seem to just toss out those titles anytime the subject is brought up, and it's this attitude of "Oh, just stop whining and find something to enjoy". But the point is, we aren't whining about it, we are trying to make the game MORE enjoyable. I think it's just tough for some people to see it from our point of view and understand the reasons behind why some of us feel the way we do.

It's never going to be a situation that makes everybody happy. The Chicago event should be really interesting though. I'm driving up for it, and am really looking forward to playing with all those other top players. Though since I just won in Owensboro last weekend, I'm not terribly interested in playing GOWK again, or playing one of the top 'counter' squads. We'll see though. There's a part of me that wants to run one of those at least in an effort to try and continue to contribute data for those still on the fence regarding the GOWK stuff. On the other hand, I just want to play something I'll have fun with. :P
joelker41
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:42:19 AM

Lobo I officially challenge you to win with Ventress lol.
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:53:48 AM

Using the term whining was a poor choice of words on my part. I guess 25 years of gaming around people who always complain about losing and looking for excuses drove me to that statement. I can definitely see the point of the top tier players wanting to take GOWK out of the top tourney play. I would be disappointed though if it was removed from DCI play since our local shop is usually sanctioned play. Is there a way to remove it only at the regional and above DCI gameplay?

BTW I think you should play a squad that can beat GOWK that is not specifically geared to combat GOWK ie a squad that can beat him but compete with the rest of the field. Does that make sense? Confused
LoboStele
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:19:01 AM

Mickey wrote:
Using the term whining was a poor choice of words on my part. I guess 25 years of gaming around people who always complain about losing and looking for excuses drove me to that statement. I can definitely see the point of the top tier players wanting to take GOWK out of the top tourney play. I would be disappointed though if it was removed from DCI play since our local shop is usually sanctioned play. Is there a way to remove it only at the regional and above DCI gameplay?

Heh, trust me, there's plenty of whining that goes around. I can see how it's tough to distinguish the two sometimes. Of course, I (and others) may not feel like we're whining, but that's how it appears to others, so there still could be some truth in the accusation. :P It's nice to be reminded not to whine about things though too. ;)

You can do at your store whatever you guys want to, as long as everybody agrees to it. We play DCI every single week at our one store in Cincinnati, but often times we do things like Dream Team, or Tile Wars, or Dynamic Duo, or Melee only, or stuff like that. We also usually allow people to use the Jedi Cartographer maps instead of the WOTC ones if they want to. It's basically just a matter of getting everyone in your venue to agree. If everybody is OK with continuing to let GOWK be played, then no big deal. Personally, I would probably be OK if people at my LGS continued to play him, as I think that the top players at the store are bored with him anyways, and will want to try new stuff, but it would allow the younger/newer players who still want to use him a chance to continue to do so, and perhaps end up doing better against some of the tougher players. But, funny enough, it's actually been the younger guys at our one store in Cincy that have asked for GOWK to stop making appearances. As soon as our Regional in Cincy was overwith, we've unofficially banned him already for our Thursday night playing, per the request of several of the players. Just depends on your store, I guess. :)

Mickey wrote:
BTW I think you should play a squad that can beat GOWK that is not specifically geared to combat GOWK ie a squad that can beat him but compete with the rest of the field. Does that make sense? Confused

Well, but see, that's the problem, and part of what many of us have said is the trouble with GOWK. I could easily build a squad that can compete with the rest of the field. Heck, my San Hill IE build, which is one of my favorites right now, would likely be my first choice, and it can pretty easily handle Force Push, NR, TBSVs, Palps on Throne, etc. Any of those (sure, some are still tough games, but I think I could run it with success). The problem is, that San squad can't barely touch the GOWK squads. So I can't build a squad that will "compete with the rest of the field" but still be "a squad that can beat him". The two are almost mutually exclusive. Player skill comes into it at that point. I think there are a lot of GOWK players that I could beat while running my San build. But I've already played it against the likes of Billiv15 or others before, and it loses. Quite easily, to be honest.

So, if I were to take that squad to Chicago on Saturday, I'd feel fairly confident about being able to compete against "the rest of the field", but I'd also know that there's probably only about a 10% chance that I'd actually beat the GOWK squads being run by the top players.

I haven't decided what to play yet. Probably won't decide till the night before or the day of. I'd like to try out the new Assaj, as joelker41 suggested, but I haven't come up with a squad design for her yet. We'll see. I'm definitely going though, so you'll hear what I play and how it does in the tourney report. ;)
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:24:14 AM

Has the new Asajj come out yet?or not?

it sounds allot like you have her since you said will try it out, but not sure,could be just using the stats until it comes out if it hadn't already.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:30:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Packs were officially available today.
(some people found them early tho...)
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:38:01 AM

Lobo, been thinking about this since we talked the other day. I think you should run a counter GOWK squad or your San Hill.

Here's why, people are generally ignoring the important pieces of information about things like player skill variances, and I think, having someone who has gone a combined 9-1 with GOWK, and already won a regional, who plays a counter and doesn't win would go a long way. And heck, maybe things still work out that you win, given that Swiss can provide lots of odd pairings sometimes, allowing someone to avoid the problematic match ups.

I will be playing GOWK (decided yesterday for sure) of some kind, and I suspect several others will be as well. That together with the expected turn out, that should tell more than anything else to date, at least in my head.

I remember Nickname saying the best result would be seeing a top level player not play GOWK and lose (even though there were already a couple of those, like DarthBaker in Dallas and STSparks at yours).

I think the thing that might show it best would be you and James losing in Chicago to GOWK.
LoboStele
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:38:52 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Lobo, been thinking about this since we talked the other day. I think you should run a counter GOWK squad or your San Hill.

Here's why, people are generally ignoring the important pieces of information about things like player skill variances, and I think, having someone who has gone a combined 9-1 with GOWK, and already won a regional, who plays a counter and doesn't win would go a long way. And heck, maybe things still work out that you win, given that Swiss can provide lots of odd pairings sometimes, allowing someone to avoid the problematic match ups.

I will be playing GOWK (decided yesterday for sure) of some kind, and I suspect several others will be as well. That together with the expected turn out, that should tell more than anything else to date, at least in my head.

I remember Nickname saying the best result would be seeing a top level player not play GOWK and lose (even though there were already a couple of those, like DarthBaker in Dallas and STSparks at yours).

I think the thing that might show it best would be you and James losing in Chicago to GOWK.

LOL, except then somebody will just say we lost intentionally to prove the point. LOL

Seriously though, yeah, I understand what you're saying. We'll see. I've been playing around with squad builds around Assaj (no, I don't have her yet, but her stats were spoiled last week), but haven't settled on anything in particular. Will probably bring all my ideas on Friday and see if you or the other guys have any suggested improvements. ;)
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:55:33 AM

Knowing the Asajj stats, Id run her,

I made a very good squad a while ago with her and it worked pretty well playtesting, I dont know if it would go well against GOWK but it has lots of attacks with and a fairly good chance at hitting GOWK,

and Asaaj rocks on her own being able to do 180 damage with rolling cleave.

and seeing Asaaj's stats I really cant wait for Maul :)