RegisterDonateLogin

Is indeed as powerful as the Emperor has foreseen.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Your regional Team? Options
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:09:34 PM
Groups: Member

Dnemiller
Quote:
But one regional has happened and Gowk won it. Wedge from Texas played it and it came in first.

In fact, out of the top 6 half of those were Gowk squads. The only exception being one younger player that played Gowk with zero door control. He came in 12th.

So Gowk already has managed a win.

Your point is that if an average person plays Gowk he will lose. How badly will that player lose without Gowk. How easy would it then be. That average player would be better served by learning the game and taking his lumps than having a fig in his squad that can absord 600 damage in a game. It seems they will get a false reading on how good they are

What im saying is that GOWK is a good piece but regardless of who playess it, it's not a forsure win. It won in Texas and will probley win in other states to i just don't feel that it will win over all. I think that GOWK is good but it has its weaknesses. There is also no way in hell that GOWK will take 600 damage in a game. There is no way someone will get that many saves, that just rediculous. A constant assualt on GOWK is the way to win, plus you need a mobile team that can use there speed and range to the full potential. dnemiller i didn't say that GOWK wasn't good i just don't belive that he'll win overall
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:17:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It's simple. On average, half of all attacks will not do damage to GOWK. Of the 50% that get through on the first save, he can reroll it with 70% of success. Not many attacks will need more than one reroll. And there is always the option for the second reroll. Look at the various threads on WOTC. There are MULTIPLE game reports of Obi shrugging off 400+++ damage! You have to roll terribly for GOWK not to pretty much negate any shooter.

Heck, in one game, a player playing GOWK was making average saves, with only about 4 FP to start. My Anakin of Nelvaan was attaking him about 6 to 8 times a round. It still took him 3 to 4 rounds to deal 90 dam to Obi (this was before the errata, and Padme chipped off 30 Dam). Going with 6 attacks a round, for 3 rounds. Anakin had 360 pts of Dam potential. 260 pts of that was never realised (Anakin didn't miss much, since he was boosted by Obi, JM). Do not underestimate MOTF 2 and Mettle.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:02:31 PM

Robin wrote:
Dnemiller
Quote:
But one regional has happened and Gowk won it. Wedge from Texas played it and it came in first.

In fact, out of the top 6 half of those were Gowk squads. The only exception being one younger player that played Gowk with zero door control. He came in 12th.

So Gowk already has managed a win.

Your point is that if an average person plays Gowk he will lose. How badly will that player lose without Gowk. How easy would it then be. That average player would be better served by learning the game and taking his lumps than having a fig in his squad that can absord 600 damage in a game. It seems they will get a false reading on how good they are

What im saying is that GOWK is a good piece but regardless of who playess it, it's not a forsure win. It won in Texas and will probley win in other states to i just don't feel that it will win over all. I think that GOWK is good but it has its weaknesses. There is also no way in hell that GOWK will take 600 damage in a game. There is no way someone will get that many saves, that just rediculous. A constant assualt on GOWK is the way to win, plus you need a mobile team that can use there speed and range to the full potential. dnemiller i didn't say that GOWK wasn't good i just don't belive that he'll win overall

well I dont know what to think by this. Actually Jonnyb and I played on vassal and with normal rolls Gowk evaded apporx 800 dmg. You dont have to take my word just ask jonnyb815

he will tell you
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:05:17 PM

If there are a bunch of GOWK it's easy play a good Vong squad. With force immunity GOWK can't reroll, and vong usually have a bunch of attacks. Plus Vong have thug buy that counts as the character activating. He gets one shot with force immunity. Play a vong jedihunter for brutal damage. Like i said GOWK is good but there are ways to easily counter how effective he is.

The only bad thing about is a vong squad is there all melee attacks and beside teams that focuse on force users, vong would have a hard time against a good shooting team. However besides vong there are still numerous way to take down GOWK. Personally i think he's overaded, sure he can block like 300 damage, but thats against a team that can't block force powers.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:12:22 PM

I don't think I said I expected no one to play GOWK at regionals. That would be funny considering at this point I plan to Flapper What I was saying is I thought it was interesting that at our 150 match this past week which, most used as regionals practice, no one played him. There were many fewer players than normal as well so that may have contributed to the lack of GOWK squads.

BTW I will be going to Owensboro. I think we have about 7 confirmed coming from our shop. So I expect it to be a really fun day ThumbsUp

billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:36:58 PM

Robin wrote:
There is also no way in hell that GOWK will take 600 damage in a game. There is no way someone will get that many saves, that just rediculous.

It's happened quite few times already actually. Of course in most games, it won't take nearly 600pts of damage, because GOWK's squad will have won by then, or time will be called with him still alive. But when you use say, 200pts of damage potencial, and land 40dmg on him and he ends the game at 80hps, I think you can extrapolate the math to what it would have taken to kill him. That's pretty close to the odds for a non-force immune attacker.

As for using Vong? It helps, I agree. But its beatable even with GOWK, and the odds are still at best about 55-45 GOWK. In timed games, it's generally even lower than that for the Vong, and let's not forget, against anything other than jedi squads, the Vong suffer greatly.

I would really like to see you take Vong JHs and run it through a tournament like Gencon. DPR did it last year and either went 5-2 or 4-3 and people were literally shocked and impressed that he was able to win that many games. No other player with Vong got anywhere close to that, and virtually everything that a top level Vong JH squad uses now, was available then.

Also, I played against the best Vong 150 just last night, was ahead the entire game, on his map, and eventually killed everything. He had a chance to kill GOWK at the very end, but I blocked his attacks with the last JH, with my R2, leaving GOWK at 50hps safe to be towed away. I still had Dash at full, a Jawa Scavenger, and both R2 and Lobot remaining, as well as some scrubs.
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:31:58 PM

I agree completly Vong are good for one thing and thats killing jedi, besides that there no good. I personally never play with them just cause i honestly don't like them. I usually always play mando, and believe me i know GOWK is good. He tears down mando's. The only thing i was saying, was i personally don't belive that a GOWK will be the winning team. Not that its a bad piece or anything cause it's not, i just don't think it will be the top squad. I might be wrong, but thats just what i think.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:31:43 AM

(ok im not very good at playing melee but i know how to play against it just not very good at playing it. im pretty good at playing a all shooter squad but im best at playing a melee/shooter squad)

Ok GOWK melee will lose to vong JH. GOWK shooter even the dash double override can beat vong. im not every good at playing melee but i have won with vong outside of playing against jedi.

i played vigos vs dean i lose my czerka early but still was able to shot 800+ damage at GOWK he he only took 50 damage out of all of the shots i was doing. yes i might of been able to kill GOWK if i didnt get my czerka killed but then i bet the GOWK support would of killed me.

mandos i dont think can beat GOWK maybe the support but i dont think so. i just dont like mandos at 150. they were pretty good during the KOTOR days but after CW and IE i think they are past there best. I dont see how they can beat a san gg dac 86 squad or a good kyle squad played right.

anti GOWK just cant beat GOWK unless you can take out the support. i think i can do this with about any squad vs a avg player since i have done this vs other squads. the problem with GOWK is when your vs a good player that wont let you take out his support making you take out GOWK.

I played matt (mtmagus) with my vigo tarkin czerka xizor squad. we were playing on taris matt just put GOWK with a bg in the open but in cover. I shot 36 times in two rounds zero damage. 4th round i was able to get his force points down and take him out in the 5th round. i guess the mando squads have enough atks but from playing the vigo squads vs GOWK i just dont see. Maybe the AS and boba will change things but i dont know.
joelker41
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:20:00 AM

I played a game with a Serenno/Dash/San Hill squad yesterday vs the best Vong squad I've seen in 150 and the games basically went like this:

Serenno gets shot by two Cunnings by Nom for 40.

I then made 6/6 Thud Bug/Spit Poision saves and with Wicket Dash needed 4s on the JHs in Cover (Jolee's Valor) and hit them all. The Hunters over the course of two rounds made roughly 50% of their crab armor saves.

That is the difference with Vong. Their strategy is based a lot on save 11 abilities.

GOWK has a Save 11 and the Mettle, he is much more consistently effective as a figure than oftentimes entire Vong squads, no arguing that point. (Obviously I am not talking about GOWK rerolling vs Vong I am saying in general)

I got luck on Saves, and the Jedi Hunters (this version didnt have Wicket) still needed 10s to hit my Valor Boosted Serenno, then he got Makashi.

A hot rolling day by you opponent can literally negate the Vong altogether. Not only that but their 13 attacks wont hit you average beatstick more than 60% of the time, and that is just Jedi!

The Vong are entirely to luck based to be tier 1, and are definitely too luck based for the current Meta.

He should have trashed my squad. I rolled 6 saves of 11, game was decided.
Opan Windu
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:00:12 AM

I have almost never lost to a GOWK sure it takes a while to beat. I play for points dont waste attacks that wont hit and the clock is your friend.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:20:50 AM

i didnt want to say it but i really think there is a skill level probem or you just dont understand GOWK.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:29:06 AM

Robin wrote:
The only thing i was saying, was i personally don't belive that a GOWK will be the winning team. Not that its a bad piece or anything cause it's not, i just don't think it will be the top squad. I might be wrong, but thats just what i think.

Well that's great and all, but why? What's going to beat it? You mentioned Vong, which you then backtracked and agreed isn't the answer. So what is? And why is that going to win?

Fact of the matter (and it is a fact) is that GOWK has the best odds by a significant margin. Sure, that doesn't mean that GOWK will win, but if you were betting, the obvious money is on GOWK. I would compare it to Golf betting, where you can bet Tiger, or the field, and Tiger usually has the better odds.

GOWK or the Field fellas, I take GOWK. And I am positive, that GOWK will win well more than 50% of the regionals. Anyone willing to take the field to win more than 50%?
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:30:28 AM

Opan Windu wrote:
I have almost never lost to a GOWK sure it takes a while to beat. I play for points dont waste attacks that wont hit and the clock is your friend.

And I have never lost with GOWK, with the sole exception being a game against Lobostele, with GOWK as well, but a better mirror version than what I was running.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:36:38 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't think I'll be taking that bet Bill.

I just cringe when the game comes to playing one character to win or designing squads around beating that one character. Oh well...it's not a "tame" game. BlooMilk
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:38:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Opan Windu wrote:

So the way to win is to kill almost everything else and then STALL? This is also why I worry about Obi, he will slow the game down way to much. There will always be games that truly go to time, but as you say, GOWK is the slow players dream. I like to actually feel like I've accomplished something in my games, thank you.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:01:57 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Opan Windu wrote:

So the way to win is to kill almost everything else and then STALL? This is also why I worry about Obi, he will slow the game down way to much. There will always be games that truly go to time, but as you say, GOWK is the slow players dream. I like to actually feel like I've accomplished something in my games, thank you.

And this is one other problem with him. SB you are dead on. So the game ceases to be about tactics and becomes staling. I already know how many ill feeling slow players bring out. So now that is the strategy. Once again I will say. Stalling to win may take care of the Gowk problem in some people's minds but it is also a way to get rid of your player base. If that becomes the only way to win then people will stop playing period.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:34:01 AM

stalling might work vs GOWK but most of the games i have seen or played with GOWK dont go to time. most of the games go a lot faster than other games i have played. i understand take out the GOWK support and try to time out but GOWK squads have speed and so much damage with a lot of other tricks its really hard to time out. most of the time if the GOWK support is gone its in the first 30 mins so there is still 30 mins for GOWK to kill you even if the GOWK support is gone most of the time the GOWK player still has the lead.
Robin
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:04:59 PM

I have to saying stalling to win the game is a sissy move, i think everyone agrees on that. As for why i don't think GOWK will win bill, it's simple i don't like the fact that everyone is playing that piece. It's just to common. I would like to see a different strategy emerge victorious, not one we've all seen. I can't go to the regionals this year because i live eight hours away from the closes one but if i had to play i would pick a Mandalorian squad. (I'm a mandao fan so no matter what tourney i'm in ill run a mando squad). The reason i said i don't think GOWk would win was because i wanted to see a new stragtey that would beat GOWk win. I hope that sums it up. oh and i would take the beat GOWk will not win.
IG-108
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:11:15 PM

Captain Tarpals and a bunch of stuff that replaces attacks but does damage would be a way to defeat GOWK easy. He can only Soresu normal attacks. Flamethrower, grenades, missiles, any damaging force powers, ect. can damage him automatically.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:15:04 PM

IG-108 wrote:
Captain Tarpals and a bunch of stuff that replaces attacks but does damage would be a way to defeat GOWK easy. He can only Soresu normal attacks. Flamethrower, grenades, missiles, any damaging force powers, ect. can damage him automatically.

Ok flame, lightening you are right.

Why does he need to soresu missles and cseta?

He just rerolls the save for the missles/cseta with mettle..... same problem.

I dont see how that makes things easy.

@Robin

That is the whole point of people wanting Gowk banned. Not only is he broken.... but he makes the National Meta very small and restrictive. After JA, if you subtract Gowk, you have the most wide open Meta possiblities since the game has begun.