RegisterDonateLogin

Mine! Or I will help you not!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Future of the Game Options
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:03:02 PM
Groups: Member

Okay, I really hope that this doesn't start anything, but this is something that has been bothering me for sometime.

The designers for set 12 are going to be finalized soon and the list I have heard for most probable really makes me worry about the future of the game. I am trying to do this without targeting any designer specifically so I will just speak about them in general. I am going to list my grievances so I am not misunderstood or come off as irate, which is not my intention.

2 out of the 3 have had to take long absences from the game, one for family reasons which is completely understandable and another because he now prefers other games to swm. There is nothing wrong with either of these situations, but I have very little faith that they are staying caught up with the factions, squads, synergies that are ever increasing in the game that I love. This alone would be enough to make me worry, anyone can bring good flavor into the game, but they need to be able to look past their ideas of what good flavor is in order to see whats best for the game.

One of the gentlemen even thought that the v-sets should end at set 10. How can you be expected to care about the impact your set has on the future of the game if you don't even think we should continue designing it? We need people in the designer positions that don't just "have the time" to design a set, but care about the games direction and future. If they don't see a future for the game or care about the impact their pieces have on the game as a whole, than how can they be expected to design with integrity?

I have heard plenty of tales of designers designing their "farewell" set and simply trying to get everything they ever wanted made because its their last go of it... That seams like an issue to me. On the other end you can have designers with the view point of, "well this is what they asked for so Im going to give it to them". Designing is not an easy job, but you have to be able to give the community what they want without giving the game NPE's and over powered pieces.

Two of the gentlemen worked on set 6 together. That set is regarded by many in the community to be the highest power creep of any set to date. Yes power creep is inevitable since we do not cycle out set, but every piece should not be a tier 1 piece. I thought one of the goals of the v-sets was to not make every WOTC piece null and void. Set 6 did that more than any other set. It has more staple pieces for each faction as well, from the v-sets anyways. It only has 10 pieces below a 7.5 rating to boot, granted those ratings aren't the end all be all.

I have heard part of the reason for set 6's power level was because the lack of play testers. Everyone I know that play tested for set 6 said that was because the designers were a pain to work with.(I really hope that doesn't get this thread locked) I have heard plenty more than the Tennessee guys say this. As someone that wants to be an active play tester in the future that is not something that thrills me to pieces. I am enjoying working with the set 11 guys and hope that my experience working with every set from here on can be this good. Is that a little naive and optimistic? Most likely, but it is a hope I have none the less.

I am not the only one that feels this way about set 12, it has the feeling of the death star coming into range in episode 4, lol. I have heard numerous community members speak of the same worries and at minimum 8 past designers. Some may not be as extreme as mine, or maybe with how veteran designers are currently picked they just feel that speaking up will solve nothing and only bring strife.

I hope we are able to talk about this sensibly. I don't want anyone to take this personally and I do not want to cause division in the community. I know some may only see this as me further stiring the pot, but that is not my intention at all. I do, however, want the community and this game to continue for some time. I hope my heart is not misinterpreted and that my words are received with an open mind.

Thank you all and keep the conversation to sithborgs liking if you please.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:44:55 PM

I was one of the playtesters for set 6, so i will chime in here. The first thing to remember about set 6 is that it was... bold. The subset was vehicles, something that asked for by the community, and vehicles can be a very hard thing to get just right, for multiple reasons, they tend to be larges/huges, which is a problem, but the also tend to be fast, and have ways around people like flight, wall climber, etc. so the speed is an issue, but then they wanted to make them playable for people so the idea of dismount, (w/e it ended up being called) was created. these vehicles demanded so much time in play testing that the core set was hard to get to. Believe me the vehicles were a lot more powerful during design then they ended up, and had they not got the attention they got, it would have been extremely bad for the game.

The core of set is a list of........ ummm..... people that should be the faces of their factions to be nice about it so they were going to be powerful to begin with... i mean looking at it... Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, Kyp Durron (This guy was extremely powerful during testing,and got changed.) Luke Skywalker, Assajj Ventress (Beast), Quinlan Vos (another beast), Chewbacca, Talon Karde (Only thing that needs said is that we fought til last day to make it to where he only had yslamari if in all fringe., Shae Vizla another great piece, Aayala Secura, great piece. Biggs, (that camaraderie had to be tested quite a bit with the new luke in this set.

in this set you also had Daala and some other stuff that just fell through the cracks because so much time was spent elsewhere.

Looking back this is my honest opinion of set 6. the designers had GREAT intentions of giving people what they were asking for, good representations of a lot of people's favorite pieces, breaking thrawns hold on imperials, and giving people vehicles that could be used. In hindsight this set was destined to fail from the beginning of the set list on. no body wants a bad luke, or a bad vader, etc, and then people have favorites they want to be good as well.

as far as 2 of the 3 working together again... i don't know maybe the v-sets have learned from their mistakes, the playtesting situation seems 1000000 times better, and that alone should help keep this from happening again.
But the one thing i am still not sure of about the v-sets is if they have actually figured out what direction they want to go, and until they have direction i would not pair these people up again.

*added:

You also had things like:
Yuuzhan Vong allies whose names contain Warrior gain Blast Bug, Razorbug and Mobile Attack.
crazy powerful commander effect just hands these people unpreventable auto damage.

my suggestions is this for the vsets and the future of the game in general. don't try to make melee competitive at all. the game is to far gone from that to truly be achievable. Make BALANCED squads playable. and i mean make it to where one big melee beat with some support shooters and some tech can play, or 2 shooters and a melee interference piece, or 2 melee and a support shooter or like a "strike force" of 4 mid costing people with some shooters/melee. but to try to force the game back to where straight melee has a viable chance is going to backfire in spectacular fashion (imo of course) i say this because there are to many pieces designed to destroy melee that i don't think it is possible without over stepping with the melee people are cutting everything else out of the meta completely.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:54:31 PM

I for one am getting sick of these personal attacks. Yes, echo and I were on the set 6 design team. Get. Over. It. Stop making these threads talking about me and get over yourself. All of these threads talking about me but not mentioning me by name are childish and immature.

Set 6 had a lot of good pieces and took some risks. Would you rather only have ho hum new cards or do you want the envelope pushed every once in a while? I'd rather get good new pieces that shake things up.

Also, I do follow what's going on with the game. I talk to players regularly and follow design threads every day on my lunch break. But sure, say I'm out of touch because I have other hobby's and an 8 month old. You're wrong. You don't know anything about me so stop trying to be all high and mighty because there's a few SWM pieces you don't like.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:05:40 PM

For those curious here is set 12

Weeks - current Gencon champ and designer on set 4 and 6
Echo - previous gencon champ and designer on 4 previous sets including set 10
Urban Jedi - consistent meta innovator, gencon top 8'er, and regional champion and previously has designed
New Person

How out of touch do you possibly think we could be?
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:21:26 PM

Everybody love everybody, and atmsalad did you apply for a designer spot? If you don't like things that's the best way to go. I understand having concerns and you make some good points but any negative posts tend to poison the boards and the community by extension. I'm not really sure what you are trying to do by even posting this? Do you have a solution of is this just venting? Because if it's the latter bro I ask you keep it to yourself for the good of the game. Yes some bad pieces do slip through but we didn't hang Rob in WOTC days because of the nightmares that were Lancer and GOWK. Or all of the way overpowered pieces that still rule the board from pre-vsets. I don't mean to disrespect but either get involved with the testing and designing or just follow lego Uni-kitty's advice from the Lego Movie:

"Here in Bloomilk, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind."

Keep it positive!
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:23:11 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Everybody love everybody, and atmsalad did you apply for a designer spot? If you don't like things that's the best way to go. I understand having concerns and you make some good points but any negative posts tend to poison the boards and the community by extension. I'm not really sure what you are trying to do by even posting this? Do you have a solution of is this just venting? Because if it's the latter bro I ask you keep it to yourself for the good of the game. Yes some bad pieces do slip through but we didn't hang Rob in WOTC days because of the nightmares that were Lancer and GOWK. Or all of the way overpowered pieces that still rule the board from pre-vsets. I don't mean to disrespect but either get involved with the testing and designing or just follow lego Uni-kitty's advice from the Lego Movie:

"Here in Bloomilk, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind."

Keep it positive!

+1. Seriously.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:58:37 PM

Weeks wrote:

Urban Jedi - consistent meta innovator, gencon top 8'er, and regional champion and previously has designed
New Person

Look man, I am just going to be straightforward here. winning gencon means absolutely nothing when it comes to designing. some of the greatest athletes in the world couldn't coach their sport for crap, and some of the best coaches of all time couldn't play their sport if it meant their lives. so don't spout this well I won gencon crap as some legitimate reason for you being a designer, when the fact is that the last big set of designing you all have done, seems to be complained about the most.

and your attitude of get over it, move on, and just shut up about it is sad. some of these people obviously care a lot for the future of the game, and you want to silence them because, what it hurts your pride? spare me the sob story.

instead of silencing them provide them with some proof that past mistakes won't be repeated. maybe set 10 will ease a lot concerns if Daniel had some to do with it and it turns out great.

I don't think anyone wants anyone to fail or anything, but lets face it the caution is justified and frankly warranted.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:59:17 PM

General_Grievous wrote:

Keep it positive!

I don't know if that's true or not, I heard GOWK split the community in half and caused all kinds of issues....
jak
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:13:57 PM

Weeks wrote:
I for one am getting sick of these personal attacks.

Blink I didn't see any personal attacksBlink .
designers have to have a thicker skin.
not everybody is going to like everything you make, they are allowed to critique.
ATM raises some serious concerns.
I said for a long time that the same set of designers, reshuffed for each said was a poor decision.
it like using close family to breed with, there's going to be some r-tards.
one new designer per set is to little, to late.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:21:04 PM

Weeks wrote:
I for one am getting sick of these personal attacks. Yes, echo and I were on the set 6 design team. Get. Over. It. Stop making these threads talking about me and get over yourself. All of these threads talking about me but not mentioning me by name are childish.

I have no problem mentioning y'all by name. I was told to criticize a designer would result in a thread being blocked. That is the only reasons names remained absent...
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:38:09 PM

You can have your opinions on whatever topics you like. Stop being coy and talking about me without mentioning my name. We all know for whatever reason you don't like some of the pieces I helped make in set 6. Let's all collectively take note of that and continue on with our lives. I am proud of the work I do and will continue to do the best I can in designing. If that bothers you then that's your problem.

Weeks
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:45:45 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Weeks wrote:

New Person

Look man, I am just going to be straightforward here. winning gencon means absolutely nothing when it comes to designing. some of the greatest athletes in the world couldn't coach their sport for crap, and some of the best coaches of all time couldn't play their sport if it meant their lives. so don't spout this well I won gencon crap as some legitimate reason for you being a designer, when the fact is that the last big set of designing you all have done, seems to be complained about the most.

and your attitude of get over it, move on, and just shut up about it is sad. some of these people obviously care a lot for the future of the game, and you want to silence them because, what it hurts your pride? spare me the sob story.

instead of silencing them provide them with some proof that past mistakes won't be repeated. maybe set 10 will ease a lot concerns if Daniel had some to do with it and it turns out great.

I don't think anyone wants anyone to fail or anything, but lets face it the caution is justified and frankly warranted.

I don't recall saying you shouldn't give constructive feedback about design. I said I'm sick of attacks made on these boards that target Echo and Myself. Daala was too strong initially after she was shown to be. Awesome, mistake made and noted. I'm not perfect, I don't claim to be. I do claim to know a thing or two about the game and it's inner workings. Set 11 looks to be awesome so far. Set 12 will be awesome and fun to work on as well.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:37:49 PM

Weeks wrote:
You can have your opinions on whatever topics you like. Stop being coy and talking about me without mentioning my name. We all know for whatever reason you don't like some of the pieces I helped make in set 6. Let's all collectively take note of that and continue on with our lives. I am proud of the work I do and will continue to do the best I can in designing. If that bothers you then that's your problem.

(do not read this as an attack, it is observations)
Again, I was told that criticizing past designers would be met with the thread being locked... Also, I am not trying to criticize you. Keeping up with threads is not the same as playing though, seeing what synergies work and what ones don't. Playing and understanding what squads are on top and "why" they are the top squads does not happen through keeping up with play reports and design threads. If you are not actively squad building then how do you expect to know what each faction needs or doesn't need? Some inherit designer intuition?...
Mando
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:44:21 PM

Just from my experience working on the PT Committee in Vset 10, Echo and Weeks are good designers. Obi/Ani was all Week's design and it turned out to be one of the best V-set peices. So i think it's a bit unfair to think Vset 12 will be another Vset 6. Vset 6 was more a product of lack of playtesting. I blame myself for that and that is why I've been working hard on increasing my role in playtesting ever since. Pointing fingers at other for past errors does nothing, when we personally can ensure that we all don't repeat the mistakes of the past. If we get a lot of playtesting participation, we can expect more great V-sets just like Vset 10 is. It was a great privilege to be a part of the Vset 10 PT comittee and I am happy again to be on the Vset 11 PT Committee. V-set 11 is looking good so far! If you want to help out in vset 11 and onward, sign up for playtesting. Designers really do appreciate the work playtesters put forth.

So for the future of the game, we all can help out make this the best game out there. It requires effort on all our parts and it is very much a team effort. Finger pointing and all that nonsense doesn't accomplish anything. We all love the game and we all want it to succeed, so lets make sure we do our part to make it so. ThumbsUp
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:47:49 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

To make things perfectly clear to everyone, if you have an issue with prior V set designs, discuss the pieces you have the problem with. This is far, far more productive than talking about individual designers. Because no matter what you think of a designer, they are coming from the same love of the game everyone here feels.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:50:42 PM

General_Grievous wrote:

Keep it positive!

I actually didn't apply for a designer position. I was not able to play test, as much As I would have liked, for the last set and would like to be involved with the process more before I throw my hat into the ring. Also, there are others I feel have seniority over me and would make fantastic designers. People such as kess, Dr. Daman, Matthew Spry, Darkdracul(bryan hole), mando and such.

I am more than willing to snow ball ideas with yall. Possible options, have two new designers as opposed to one on set 12. A lot of community members would be for that I believe. These are not unschooled players. They all are seasoned and many have either designed else where, or on epics, been actively involved with play testing or are skilled squad builders and players. Many of them fit several of these categories..

Weeks, what would it hurt to move to set 13? You could have more time to play and get caught up with everything that has changed while you have taken time off.

There are others solutions I could list, but honestly I doubt any of my suggestions would be seriously looked at. Weeks, Daniel and Jason have already called shotgun for set 12... and that's how we roll.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:06:56 PM

Sithborg wrote:
To make things perfectly clear to everyone, if you have an issue with prior V set designs, discuss the pieces you have the problem with. This is far, far more productive than talking about individual designers. Because no matter what you think of a designer, they are coming from the same love of the game everyone here feels.

I don't feel that fully solves the issues at hand though Unsure . If the issue is allowing people to design that are out of touch and not playing regularly then talking about past designs does not solve that issue, we are simply pointing out past mistakes that could just as easily be ignored; which many believe are being ignored. Am I completely off base? If so I will take back what I have said.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:13:26 PM

Sadly whatever you say at this point doesn't matter. they have their minds set in stone about these sort of things, and no amount of talking will get it changed. Most of these people simply refuse to admit there is an actual issue. they want to pretend like everything is hunky dory and that we should all be happy all the time, or quiet at the very least. they say reasonable criticism is fine and should even be brought up, but when you try to do it that way, the "v-set groupies", as I have dubbed them, come to the designer defense every single time and go, no this is not a problem, you just want to complain, or it didn't win gencon so its ok. it takes A DRASTIC event to occur for them to even consider the possibility that things are not the way they should be. for instance, the CDO, it has long been established that it was a very good piece and has been great in new Zealand, but no one truly wanted to listen, at least not until Bronson decided to prove the point by DESTROYING people in the tournament. I mean seriously did anyone even get close to 100 points on him when he used it, ad then suddenly uh oh this piece is way to good, and we need to ban it? but why, because Bronson destroyed some designers with it, before that it was all ok, and the answer was, oh, it's just the new Zealand gate keeper, its no big deal. Same thing will always happen on this site.

is there a clear problem you brought up, of course there is, we are still talking about the ramifications of set 6 near the release of set 10 lol, but its ok, no issues here.... that is until set 12 comes out and people go, oh crap... BigGrin
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:29:36 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Sadly whatever you say at this point doesn't matter. they have their minds set in stone about these sort of things, and no amount of talking will get it changed. Most of these people simply refuse to admit there is an actual issue. they want to pretend like everything is hunky dory and that we should all be happy all the time, or quiet at the very least. they say reasonable criticism is fine and should even be brought up, but when you try to do it that way, the "v-set groupies", as I have dubbed them, come to the designer defense every single time and go, no this is not a problem, you just want to complain, or it didn't win gencon so its ok. it takes A DRASTIC event to occur for them to even consider the possibility that things are not the way they should be. for instance, the CDO, it has long been established that it was a very good piece and has been great in new Zealand, but no one truly wanted to listen, at least not until Bronson decided to prove the point by DESTROYING people in the tournament. I mean seriously did anyone even get close to 100 points on him when he used it, ad then suddenly uh oh this piece is way to good, and we need to ban it? but why, because Bronson destroyed some designers with it, before that it was all ok, and the answer was, oh, it's just the new Zealand gate keeper, its no big deal. Same thing will always happen on this site.

is there a clear problem you brought up, of course there is, we are still talking about the ramifications of set 6 near the release of set 10 lol, but its ok, no issues here.... that is until set 12 comes out and people go, oh crap... BigGrin

I hope that others disagree and this discussion will cause some people to speak up behind the scenes, sadly I feel that you are right though.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:31:29 PM

Mando wrote:
Just from my experience working on the PT Committee in Vset 10, Echo and Weeks are good designers. Obi/Ani was all Week's design and it turned out to be one of the best V-set peices. So i think it's a bit unfair to think Vset 12 will be another Vset 6. Vset 6 was more a product of lack of playtesting. I blame myself for that and that is why I've been working hard on increasing my role in playtesting ever since. Pointing fingers at other for past errors does nothing, when we personally can ensure that we all don't repeat the mistakes of the past. If we get a lot of playtesting participation, we can expect more great V-sets just like Vset 10 is. It was a great privilege to be a part of the Vset 10 PT comittee and I am happy again to be on the Vset 11 PT Committee. V-set 11 is looking good so far! If you want to help out in vset 11 and onward, sign up for playtesting. Designers really do appreciate the work playtesters put forth.

So for the future of the game, we all can help out make this the best game out there. It requires effort on all our parts and it is very much a team effort. Finger pointing and all that nonsense doesn't accomplish anything. We all love the game and we all want it to succeed, so lets make sure we do our part to make it so. ThumbsUp

Huge +1. Not to be a 'v-set groupie,' (I didn't know about the v-sets until sometime late last year) but I think the best thing to do is wait and see. Anyways, is there anyone more qualified to avoid another set 6 than the set 6 designers themselves? Especially since there's apparently been a massive upswing in playtesting. If there's any NPE potential, I'm sure it'll be seen.