Boring conversation anyway.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Future of the Game Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:01:13 PM
Groups: Member

CorellianComedian wrote:
Mando wrote:
Just from my experience working on the PT Committee in Vset 10, Echo and Weeks are good designers. Obi/Ani was all Week's design and it turned out to be one of the best V-set peices. So i think it's a bit unfair to think Vset 12 will be another Vset 6. Vset 6 was more a product of lack of playtesting. I blame myself for that and that is why I've been working hard on increasing my role in playtesting ever since. Pointing fingers at other for past errors does nothing, when we personally can ensure that we all don't repeat the mistakes of the past. If we get a lot of playtesting participation, we can expect more great V-sets just like Vset 10 is. It was a great privilege to be a part of the Vset 10 PT comittee and I am happy again to be on the Vset 11 PT Committee. V-set 11 is looking good so far! If you want to help out in vset 11 and onward, sign up for playtesting. Designers really do appreciate the work playtesters put forth.

So for the future of the game, we all can help out make this the best game out there. It requires effort on all our parts and it is very much a team effort. Finger pointing and all that nonsense doesn't accomplish anything. We all love the game and we all want it to succeed, so lets make sure we do our part to make it so. ThumbsUp

Huge +1. Not to be a 'v-set groupie,' (I didn't know about the v-sets until sometime late last year) but I think the best thing to do is wait and see. Anyways, is there anyone more qualified to avoid another set 6 than the set 6 designers themselves? Especially since there's apparently been a massive upswing in playtesting. If there's any NPE potential, I'm sure it'll be seen.

playtesting is partly to blame, crappy set list, with way to many pieces that people want to be top tier, along with to many different directions, vehicles, trying to make all fringe viable, trying to break thrawn dependence in imps, etc.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:15:11 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
and your attitude of get over it, move on, and just shut up about it is sad. some of these people obviously care a lot for the future of the game, and you want to silence them because, what it hurts your pride? spare me the sob story.

instead of silencing them provide them with some proof that past mistakes won't be repeated. maybe set 10 will ease a lot concerns if Daniel had some to do with it and it turns out great.

I don't think anyone wants anyone to fail or anything, but lets face it the caution is justified and frankly warranted.

Thank you Death Bane
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:37:15 PM

V-set 6 ruined the game for me. literally. just done, until legacy happened.

Now, with that said. I am going to try and show you all how I feel about all this.

The design team for V-set 6 made some huge mistakes, huge.

Every single person (WITHOUT EXCEPTION) knows this. it happened.

Batman And Robin was a huge mistake, every single person knows this (WITHOUT EXCEPTION). it happened.

George Clooney has done some really great work since than.

But I can never support him getting back together with Christopher and Arnold and whoever else.

It would be insane to bring that group back together again, for anything, they never would get back together, it would be a disaster.

Daredevil was a huge mistake, every sane person knows this (WITHOUT EXCEPTION). it happened.

Now Ben Affleck is going to be Batman... I FULLY support Ben Affleck as Batman. I think he learned his lesson from Daredevil and is going to do wonderfully.

Just like I can fully support Weeks as a designer.

Personally, I just cant support the team that is put together again. It doesnt matter if there is a new director, choreographer, writer, whatever. (tn accent) It just don't make no sense. I think one of the two ought to just move to the next set. I don't think it is going to work, I think that because it did not work last time.

I think it is unfair to them as well. Having to be under all the pressure of "not doing it again" is not cool. Second guessing everything all the time. etc. probably be a huge headache.
i dont know all the rules for design teams and yadda, but maybe Weeks can work on the mini-set set 11 and than move into full time set 12?

or something..
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:49:37 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Sadly whatever you say at this point doesn't matter. they have their minds set in stone about these sort of things, and no amount of talking will get it changed. Most of these people simply refuse to admit there is an actual issue. they want to pretend like everything is hunky dory and that we should all be happy all the time, or quiet at the very least. they say reasonable criticism is fine and should even be brought up, but when you try to do it that way, the "v-set groupies", as I have dubbed them, come to the designer defense every single time and go, no this is not a problem, you just want to complain, or it didn't win gencon so its ok. it takes A DRASTIC event to occur for them to even consider the possibility that things are not the way they should be. for instance, the CDO, it has long been established that it was a very good piece and has been great in new Zealand, but no one truly wanted to listen, at least not until Bronson decided to prove the point by DESTROYING people in the tournament. I mean seriously did anyone even get close to 100 points on him when he used it, ad then suddenly uh oh this piece is way to good, and we need to ban it? but why, because Bronson destroyed some designers with it, before that it was all ok, and the answer was, oh, it's just the new Zealand gate keeper, its no big deal. Same thing will always happen on this site.

is there a clear problem you brought up, of course there is, we are still talking about the ramifications of set 6 near the release of set 10 lol, but its ok, no issues here.... that is until set 12 comes out and people go, oh crap... BigGrin

Assuming you are talking about the NZ VAssal Tourney, it certainly wasn't anything that anyone did there that caused any change to the CDO. Discussions were in the works well before that. CDO took 2nd in Chicago (apr28th) and won in PA (May 2) and Vassal tourney wasn't even started until after that. It was the NZ guys bringing the squad to everyone's attention, then while working through discussions and possible solutions, having it basically win 2 regionals with very different metas that sealed the deal for the CDO.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:53:31 PM

Weeks wrote:
For those curious here is set 12

Weeks - current Gencon champ and designer on set 4 and 6
Echo - previous gencon champ and designer on 4 previous sets including set 10
Urban Jedi - consistent meta innovator, gencon top 8'er, and regional champion and previously has designed
New Person

How out of touch do you possibly think we could be?

To be accurate
Daniel was designer on 3 previous sets (3,6,9)
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:17:35 PM

I really don't see an issue with any designer combination. Especially now that we go through a much better process of playtesting, spitballing, etc before a piece makes it out.

I don't really have any concerns about this current design team and don't think it will be an issue. If the issue is that (oops we might create an overpowered character that might need to get "fixed" at some point) then I guess we have to kick almost all the designers out. Most of the designers have designed (or PTd or been heavily involved in) one of the pieces that has already been seen to be a problem (Poggle, Klat, CDO, Daala, Zyg, Snowguy).

It happens. We are human. We miss something or something comes out later, or a piece is utilized in a way that wasn't thought of that creates issues. This game would be pretty boring if all we ever did was create lame pieces. But by creating strong pieces, we have to accept the fact that we will also sometimes create pieces that need an adjustment. It is how any game system works.

Nobody has mentioned this, but the change to a smaller set size has helped immensely to create a better product. Now each piece can gets that much more attention. Also there is a much freer flow of info from playtesters (and others) to the designers and back. More people can see the forums now means more eyes looking for and finding possible issues and things. People now have a forum for posting up potential squads or issues they see with a piece which lets us at least look at many more squads to compare them to already existing squads, etc.

atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:27:34 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
Weeks wrote:

Urban Jedi - consistent meta innovator, gencon top 8'er, and regional champion and previously has designed
New Person

To be accurate

Apparently not quite as "in touch" as one considers oneself to be... lol
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 1:04:21 AM

Mando wrote:

1. Obi/Ani was all Week's design and it turned out to be one of the best V-set pieces.

2. So i think it's a bit unfair to think V-set 12 will be another V-set 6. V-set 6 was more a product of lack of play-testing. Pointing fingers at others for past errors does nothing, when we personally can ensure that we all don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

3. If we get a lot of play-testing participation, we can expect more great V-sets just like V-set 10 is.

1. I don't believe you can give weeks full credit as there were 4 other designers actively working on that piece. Not to mention the numerous PT's it took to get the piece out of the stalemate it was in. Working on that piece was about as toxic an environment as you can get... Whether or not Obi/Ani is one of the best V-set pieces is not a view expressed by many. Whether or not it will be remains to be seen...

2. Death Bane already covered this point very well so I will just add this. Obi/Ani gives me more concern that V-set 6 will repeat, not less. Will I continue to play test? Absolutely, but how my play-test impacts the design process is based directly on the designers, not solely on how much work I put into the PT.

3. That is true in part, but play testers do not give direction. They merely help to narrow the scope of the character. It is up to the designers to point each set in a direction and see it through. I am still worried that allowing people to design that are not actively playing and squad building will send us off in a direction we do not wish to go... If I wanted to play heroclix I would play heroclix.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 1:49:45 AM

First of all it was the whole set of four as a group that created vset 6 not just echo or weeks. The two work fine together. The problem at hand From talking with others is that set 5 didn't get a lot of testing from what I understand.

I think having pieces errand as much as or banned as much as they have been in the last few months. I think will keep others aware.

Echo is one of my favorite designers and weeks is just fine too.

Since we don't have all the facts and all make mistakes lets just make note of this and move on.

Edit: As far as they are not a part of this game when it comes to tournament play Weeks just won Gencon and both are very activate in other games it does translate to a point. Both keep up with the game even though they don't play. I am fine that they are not very activate players anymore. Bill doesn't play every often but is still a top level player and understands the game better than most.

I have only played a hand full of games since 2010 but think If I got in a few games in on Vassal I would do just fine at a tournament. So I don't think that is a very good example.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 11:02:12 AM

"Use the Force, Atmsalad. Let go, Atmsalad. Atmsalad, trust me"
jak
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 11:34:54 AM

why can't we have an opinion that dares to question the Vsets and their 'lil club of designers
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 12:09:05 PM

jak wrote:
why can't we have an opinion that dares to question the Vsets and their 'lil club of designers

The opinion has been expressed and made public. The "lil club" has been put on notice and everyone is well aware of that concern. I happen to agree with the concern, however, since v-set 6 we have seen the establishment of a stronger PT committee and a brand new balancing committee. Atmsalad and Jak are both valuable members of our PT committee, and I appreciate your guys ability to blow the whistle.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 1:29:24 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
Weeks wrote:

New Person

To be accurate

My mistake. Point still stands.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 7:06:59 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I really don't see an issue with any designer combination. Especially now that we go through a much better process of playtesting, spitballing, etc before a piece makes it out.

I don't really have any concerns about this current design team and don't think it will be an issue. If the issue is that (oops we might create an overpowered character that might need to get "fixed" at some point) then I guess we have to kick almost all the designers out. Most of the designers have designed (or PTd or been heavily involved in) one of the pieces that has already been seen to be a problem (Poggle, Klat, CDO, Daala, Zyg, Snowguy).

It happens. We are human. We miss something or something comes out later, or a piece is utilized in a way that wasn't thought of that creates issues. This game would be pretty boring if all we ever did was create lame pieces. But by creating strong pieces, we have to accept the fact that we will also sometimes create pieces that need an adjustment. It is how any game system works.

Nobody has mentioned this, but the change to a smaller set size has helped immensely to create a better product. Now each piece can gets that much more attention. Also there is a much freer flow of info from playtesters (and others) to the designers and back. More people can see the forums now means more eyes looking for and finding possible issues and things. People now have a forum for posting up potential squads or issues they see with a piece which lets us at least look at many more squads to compare them to already existing squads, etc.

Jason, I want you to know that I consider you to be one of the most qualified designers that we have in general. Not to mention the most qualified on set 12 hands down. I wish all of the designers were as actively involved with playing, squad building, play testing and the community as you have been.

I think there is an important aspect that hasn't been focused on. This is attitudes and viewpoints of the other designers for set 12. Weeks and Echo both profess the design philosophy of overpowering pieces and then pulling them back slowly. This has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to NOT work in our game for multiple reasons.

1 - despite there being much more playtesting now, there is still not enough for that to work. That would take 1000s of playtests. Doing that creates an untenable environment that forces every play tester to take the position of whistle blower and ultimately will be considers just a cryer of "wolf".

2 - It creates a a formula for more mistakes. It is not a formula for creating quality pieces. It is a formula for only catching the obvious mistakes and NPE's or even not catching them at all... Regardless of the quality of the spitballing and play testers.

3 - Aiming to make all pieces competitive is a horrible model for set design. It takes multiple sets for the meta to readjust and it drastically shifts the meta to where it is difficult for the next set to have much of an impact on the game at all. Unless they to are creating every piece to be top tier as well.

4 - this is game design model for companies that want to SELL more product. Power pieces sell Product... These companies don't care as much about game balance, but we don't have anything to sell. We want game balance! A whole team was just created because game balance is so important to the community. That is not something that is important to these guys... Creating good pieces shouldn't be more important than the good of the game.

I am afraid that keeping set 12 in check is going to fall to you Jason, whoever new is chosen and to the play testers. May the force be with us all...
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 9:22:44 PM

One thing I have learned in my time as a teacher/coach is that people are going to do what is comfortable or what they have gotten away with before. The natural man, if you will.

I think that the design community / team has been fighting that natural man in a lot of ways, better PT plan, balance team, recruiting more people to get involved, etc. The only thing that has not really changed is the design process.

I think it is time to relook at the design process. I think the first thing to do is come up with a mission plan for designing that everyone can see and reference.

Than discuss the way designers are recruited, the way they form a set list, find a way to create purpose for a set, Think about ways pt'ers can overrule designers as a contingency plan (batman had one for each of the Justice League you know).

it is folly to go against history and the natural man.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 12:19:28 AM

There are some interesting ideas being discussed here
- what's with the sudden influx of content - after a long 'discussions drought'/bloomilk content drought eh?
When it rains, it pours BigGrin

I thought, with the title as "Futures of the Game",
i thought maybe there was a "SWMinis players Census", to see who played the game 11 years after it started,
and to find out some more about the demography of the players (hopefully, this can still happen, and the information in the aggregate freely shared for all, out of curiosity).

Digression aside,
Thank you for having the intestinal fortitude and perseverance to discuss some
difficult to articulate and abstract or 'sensitive' topics - hopefully, the game will be more awesome for it,
and that is what motivates everyone who dares to freethink about the futures of the game.

There's some very interesting ideas concerning 'acephalous participatory methods'
and approaches to how things might be made,
along with some mechanics ideas and the reflection that atmsalad articulately and objectively sounds -
if there is no current 'SWMinis exegetical design notes', ostensibly, some quality or consistency that the community expects of the officially unofficial official sets, might slip.

This said, and to sound as a broken record -
there are alternative formats and modes which can also be made -
don't like a particular set of cards? Maybe, "only VSET non-epic uniques are valid" for a tournament as a house rule.
Don't like "SW:EU 'Legends' "? make all new cards, only from the 'nuWarstrek', and then state rules that only those cards are valid for a tournament (corollary: at what point does the "no true scotsman paradox" arise?)
As a few have inboxed and real-world reflected on SWMinis;
SWMinis is not Imperial Assault, is not WEG minis, is not w40k, tannhauser, pathfinder or SWRPG lite hehehe... it finds its own way,
closer to "Chess +" in aim.

It is more the 'optimisationing" mindset in the player base, which ostensibly create the feedback loop and unforeseen combinations of pieces. Player who seek for some "Technical Knockout" victory, by any mean, though, I should not wish to digress too far on that tangent, as my view on this have been well articulated in the past BigGrin
That element which seek to merge SWMinis with MtG, or FFG SWRPG.. I empathise with the quandary the VSet designers may face, when confronted with making new pieces that will be subjected to min-max players...

It's also great to see the acknowledgement of the awesome that goes into the VSets,
particularly pertinent is TheHutts's longitudinal assay, which led to some interesting findings.
Overall, VSets are more 'internally consistent, set to set. though, there have been some increased power creep overall, and particularly with uniques, when cross-comparatively analysed by combinatorial squad options and squad composition...
also, increasingly the 'auto-include' "hobson's choice" meta-competitive pieces has expanded in total points of a squad, yet, steps are being taken to redress more of the broken combinations.

Here's to the awesome that is the freethinking and sheer ideas that are being hatched in these recent threads BlooMilk
Also,
it's great to see even more new players pick up and adopt the game - their ideas have also been AWESOME, as more people discover Bloomilk and the SWMinis community.

On that note,
it is back to realworld and elsewhere in the interwebs BigGrin
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 12:36:45 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jen'ari wrote:
One thing I have learned in my time as a teacher/coach is that people are going to do what is comfortable or what they have gotten away with before. The natural man, if you will.

I think that the design community / team has been fighting that natural man in a lot of ways, better PT plan, balance team, recruiting more people to get involved, etc. The only thing that has not really changed is the design process.

I think it is time to relook at the design process. I think the first thing to do is come up with a mission plan for designing that everyone can see and reference.

Than discuss the way designers are recruited, the way they form a set list, find a way to create purpose for a set, Think about ways pt'ers can overrule designers as a contingency plan (batman had one for each of the Justice League you know).

it is folly to go against history and the natural man.

There are some interesting points in here and I understand some of what you are saying in that I am a teacher and coach too. One thing that I have seen in my capacity as such is also the willingness of the people we are working with to acknowledge mistakes, learn from them and move on to produce better. Some one has said previously here that this team which is in part responsible is less likely to reproduce mistakes of the past due to the knowledge of what came from it, and I think that is an encouraging thought.

On a personal note, Set 6 produced Luke Skywalker Hero of Endor which is 1) my favourite piece in the game and 2) the reason I play SWM.
AceAce
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 6:24:49 AM

One thing that would help and should be done is to allow the top 25 (at least) people that have donated to VSET printing (if a tally can be examined) design 1 piece ASAP. This will: (1) reinvigorate the community, and (2) show that the communities (and not just a small select group) input is desired. I have donated for every VSET, played since the beginning (RS), applied to design, led the PT team for 3 sets, and still not been asked to design a single piece.

Obviously the pieces would need to be PT vigorously and fleshed out, but this would serve to include a LOT of people that have kept up with the game and never been inside the VIP room. The idea to allow people who donate faithfully to design a piece was Randy Barker's (runs Mini Madness at GenCon)...a very good idea indeed.

Honestly, I mentioned my credentials to simply illustrate for people that do not know me that I am not just some malcontent who simply wants to "stir the pot." I love the game and play whenever possible including Regionals and GenCon.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 7:09:09 AM

AceAce wrote:
One thing that would help and should be done is to allow the top 25 (at least) people that have donated to VSET printing (if a tally can be examined) design 1 piece ASAP. This will: (1) reinvigorate the community, and (2) show that the communities (and not just a small select group) input is desired. I have donated for every VSET, played since the beginning (RS), applied to design, led the PT team for 3 sets, and still not been asked to design a single piece.

Obviously the pieces would need to be PT vigorously and fleshed out, but this would serve to include a LOT of people that have kept up with the game and never been inside the VIP room. The idea to allow people who donate faithfully to design a piece was Randy Barker's (runs Mini Madness at GenCon)...a very good idea indeed.

Honestly, I mentioned my credentials to simply illustrate for people that do not know me that I am not just some malcontent who simply wants to "stir the pot." I love the game and play whenever possible including Regionals and GenCon.

great idea.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 7:38:54 AM

AceAce wrote:

I disagree with this to a point since it needs to be more controlled. I think the names of the sets should be more part of the community more themed like it used to be in the first few sets and they can submit a ability or force power they would on one of the figures.

This still lets them be more involved very limited. The top 5 abilities you guys like let the people that designed them get more with the figure they got to kind of help with.

This lets people more involved but in a very limited way.