RegisterDonateLogin

Will not condone a course of action that will lead it's people to war.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Future of the Game Options
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 1:19:35 PM
Groups: Member

Mando wrote:
SignerJ wrote:
Mando wrote:
Just listening to the SHNN show from last night right now and Lou brought up how the single biggest threat to the Rock squads is the Muun Tactics Broker. I think we could handle this issue with maybe making rock squad have the option of canceling activation control via a CE that would cancel activation control abilities from non-unique figures (that ways it still makes unique that have Master Tactician still good, but gets rid of the Muun or generic Tactician pieces) or just giving Rock squads more access to Never Tell Me The Odds.

Not sure I agree (or disagree) with him, but if you're looking for a way to nerf a MTB, Reserves on a 1 is usually a pretty hard counter. Razz

Currently there aren't a ton of pieces that get reserves on a 1. The 2 factions that I can think of right of the top of my head are Seperatists and Vong. Seps kinda are the problem right now with the Muun, cause they are the reigning kings of Scissor squads and they have activation control. The vong piece that has the Reserves on a 1 kinda sucks....and the Vong have activation control also and also Scissor squad options as well. I think it'd be great if the other factions could get some peices with Reserves on a 1, but currently the 2 factions that have it IMO are adding to the problem, not helping it.

Oh, yeah, I don't disagree. I was thinking of it more as a suggestion for some future Rock pieces (if it fits the piece), rather than saying that there are counters already.
In my opinion, there aren't really any counters for the MTB, currently.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 1:48:22 PM

Mando wrote:
Just listening to the SHNN show from last night right now and Lou brought up how the single biggest threat to the Rock squads is the Muun Tactics Broker. I think we could handle this issue with maybe making rock squad have the option of canceling activation control via a CE that would cancel activation control abilities from non-unique figures (that ways it still makes unique that have Master Tactician still good, but gets rid of the Muun or generic Tactician pieces) or just giving Rock squads more access to Never Tell Me The Odds.
I would like to see this. NTMTO on a jedi tank (perhaps in the OR, who don't have strong init help) would be good. An init-control nerf that targets non-uniques would be cool too.

I'm not entirely sure that init control is what nerfs tanks the most, but it certainly is part of the puzzle.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 4:11:09 PM

I'm the the guy who has been saying this for the longest time about initiative. I brought it up in the "my how the change has changed thread." it's a great thread and the initiative discussion should move over to there.

fingersandteeth wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:

Something missing from fingersandteeth's list: Initiative Control (Mtb, Master Tactician, Sense the Future, Recon.. ect.)
Going first proved to be such an advantage during the WOTC days that the first phase of each round was eventually reduced to one.

The v-sets have only strengthened the power of going first. The newest tier 1 squads; Double Swap, Durge on Speeder, and Grevious on tsmeu-6 w/ Snipers all benefit greatly from going first. You can't bring in an MTB against san hill, so a lot of squads can be SOL. This is another area that should be looked at more closely by the designers.

Yeah, i did omit putting that mechanic in there and it was an error on my part, although i do think that init control is less of an issue when the team with it isn't out activated, so i tend to lean towards it being part and parcel of the activation game.
Ideally, those with high activations would not have much init control and vice versa but WotC gave us a fringe piece that encourages high activations and gives init control. They also worded it so that one of the activation factions has a built in counter to it.

So its an issue that design constantly struggles with.

Great thread go check it out!!