Let the Bloo Milk win.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Future of the Game Options
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 12:19:57 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:

I searched and searched for this! lol!

No wonder I didn't find it. It was on page 60 of that thread!!!

Anyway - this is a better list. I was just doing it off the cuff and specifically "faction defining" was overstated.

I updated my page 1 with your and TJ's joint list - it's a really good summation of what I'm trying to categorise pieces as.
atmsalad
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 4:00:15 PM

It seams like several designers are on board with this. So I guess my question is what is stopping this from becoming the norm for each set? It seams like it would help prevent future mistakes and keep everyone on the same page.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 4:12:42 PM

atmsalad wrote:
It seams like several designers are on board with this. So I guess my question is what is stopping this from becoming the norm for each set? It seams like it would help prevent future mistakes and keep everyone on the same page.

because there is no authoritative figure to make it the norm. i am sure a lot of designers will adopt this practice, but others have different opinions on how to design and how to approach power levels so they most likely will not agree to such a rigid structure.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 5:07:17 PM

Its democratic, if this is gonna be considered I imagine it would be decided on a vote as these kinds of things normally are.
atmsalad
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 5:27:17 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
because there is no authoritative figure to make it the norm. i am sure a lot of designers will adopt this practice, but others have different opinions on how to design and how to approach power levels so they most likely will not agree to such a rigid structure.

Lol, always the optimist you are... Why wouldn't this be something designers would want to get behind? It seams like it would potentially prevent some past issues we have had. On top of helping spread the love out to the factions that are in need of it.
atmsalad
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 5:30:15 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
Its democratic, if this is gonna be considered I imagine it would be decided on a vote as these kinds of things normally are.

Well as a play tester and competitor I hope it is considered and that the vote will pass! :)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 5:47:20 PM

i reiterate there is no central power to force the change, so it won't happen, at least not every set. i still strongly believe there needs to be 3-5 people that are in charge of the game, and those 3-5 could decide on things such as this.
for instance,
Bill, Deri, Tim, Daniel, Kezza/Daman(New Zealander) with Bill as "Chairman" to be the deciding vote if there is a tie. this could be the same for the change to mouse droids being talked about, or anything else.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 8:09:25 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
i reiterate there is no central power to force the change, so it won't happen, at least not every set. i still strongly believe there needs to be 3-5 people that are in charge of the game, and those 3-5 could decide on things such as this.
for instance,
Bill, Deri, Tim, Daniel, Kezza/Daman(New Zealander) with Bill as "Chairman" to be the deciding vote if there is a tie. this could be the same for the change to mouse droids being talked about, or anything else.

So I take it you haven't heard about the newly designated "balance team"?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 8:18:34 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
for instance,

not enough to warrant any response.... other then I just know it was formed, no idea what it actually means for the game.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 5:57:00 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
for instance,

not enough to warrant any response.... other then I just know it was formed, no idea what it actually means for the game.

There was a SHNN show that discussed the formation of this new group. It was a great listen, and I suggest you tune in to hear them discuss it to. It sounds like a great idea and they have people on it from all over the world and from pretty much all the playgroups and play styles. Matt Spry who is a good friend of mine and who is in the TN playgroup is on it, as well as some NZ players. The people on the committee will be switched out when they are working on designing for a V-set to avoid bias. I think it'd be a huge honor to work on the balance team, cause it will have a big impact on this game going forward.

Here's hoping that the Neo-Crusader Officer's CE gets changed to affect only followers or better yet, only Neo-Crusader followers. ThumpUp
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 11:55:53 AM

Mando wrote:
Here's hoping that the Neo-Crusader Officer's CE gets changed to affect only followers or better yet, only Neo-Crusader followers. ThumpUp

Just to add to that, all of the currently banned pieces will receive a look this fall, with errata considered to bring them back with a new card printed in a future set. We will do that twice a year, as well as dealing with any new problem figures that arise. So NCO will get a good look, and just a guess, since it seems errata would be relatively simple there, I think the probability of it happening will be high. But I won't speak for the other committee members.

As for Tim/Deri's idea of design for power, I think it's one of those things that is helpful to some, and intuitive to others who work in different ways. I for one never needed it, because I intuitively view things in their entirety on a general level. Probably why I've made a pretty good historian out of myself :).

Other types of thinkers probably need something like that. So it can be a good idea. Or it can be a waste. Just depends on the person. For me personally, I design most figures to be in the tier 1.5 to 2 area, because I don't really like making tier 1 pieces, nor do I think it's necessary. I like roles for figures in a squad, that's what I usually focus on.

For example, one of my favorite designs was Momaw Nadan. I actually designed him from premise of a role (war throat) backwards. I had the general idea of what I wanted the game to have (a 10hp killing machine for Lobot) that was cheap enough to do his thing and then be killed. I had no power level in mind exactly, other than I wanted him as nothing more than what I just said. Worked out great. But that's how I design. More based on flavor to begin with, finding things in game that make sense, limited new abilities, (KISS principle), and role in a squad.

So in short, I'd pretty much ignore a design template myself.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:00:27 PM

Bill, what you describe is how i function a lot of the time.

Pick a role, stick to that role and design around it if necessary/applicable . However, the cost of that is totally dependent on what power level you are aiming for and what the rating system is designed for.

Take Mowmaw, easily a top end reinforcement option but you settled on a cost of 15 (presumably so you can bring in something of your choosing outside of an uggie). Not 12 (which puts him close to the uber catagory with an additional 3 activations) and not 19-20 where he would come with nothing else. You/we picked 15 because it felt right in the frame of your t1.5 to 2 area.

The ratings system really does nothing to advance a design or state what or how much a piece could do. It merely plays into the cost of the figure at the end.

Bastilla on the other hand, to state an age old example, got the t1 treatment. It was tested and then given a cost that ensured her status. It was suggested by other designers to be a higher cost but the intent was very deliberate for her to impact the OR and thus her cost aggressively given.

I know you understand this and this statement is merely clarification for people who don't quite get what the rating process entails and allows
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:57:14 PM

Check out the latest post in TheHutts mini of the day thread. It graphs the power levels for both WotC and Vset pieces. Wizards is a horrible spread, but the vsets have a pretty beautiful bell curve.

Point being that largely we are doing what we should be doing (imo). Overall the vsets have hit the mark. A few duds, and a few extra 11s than we need, but that is inevitable. I'd even argue that a few of those 11s were necessary to make a faction compete at all (Bastila). In a perfect world a few of those 8s could have been 7s, but that's a minor point.

So clearly by in large most v-sets have more or less done the 5-10 bell curve. Using that curve as a guideline will help keep us on track.
AceAce
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:30:51 PM

Any input from those donating from the beginning or heavy donators? Crickets...ignore.
New blood is desirable and can be interspersed with seasoned and longtime creators.
atmsalad
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:04:55 PM

AceAce wrote:
Any input from those donating from the beginning or heavy donators? Crickets...ignore.
New blood is desirable and can be interspersed with seasoned and longtime creators.

I think they are doing a pretty good job of getting new designers for the sets. Laura and TJ are the first ones that come to mind and they have both done brilliantly thus far. I believe the plan is to continue to have 1 new designer on each set from here on.

For those that are interested, continue to help out the designers and you could definitely get your shot.
Personally, I do not think that everyone can or should be allowed to design though. Not saying I could, but the past has taught us that much.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:51:40 PM

atmsalad wrote:
AceAce wrote:

I think they are doing a pretty good job of getting new designers for the sets. Laura and TJ are the first ones that come to mind and they have both done brilliantly thus far. I believe the plan is to continue to have 1 new designer on each set from here on.

For those that are interested, continue to help out the designers and you could definitely get your shot.
Personally, I do not think that everyone can or should be allowed to design though. Not saying I could, but the past has taught us that much.

I don't think there should be so many designers. This is a big reason Vs System fell a part. All games have balance problem mainly because different designers ideas and it just doesn't flow right. I am also again this whole tier crap and feel if you do your home work on each figure might take hours or days or weeks. Then fit the figure to how it should be during that time period.

Then it should all work itself out and you keep the creative squad building puzzle in tack right now its a big mess and the puzzle not a puzzle anymore.

I am also against of how Large figures and Huges work for movement. One think Imperial Assault got right is the movement with those figures making them playable. This is a big reason two of the only Playable Huges that move are Obi and Speeders. Yes I know in the past other huge figures have been playable but its because of the map or special abilities.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2015 11:41:28 PM

billiv15 wrote:
Just to add to that, all of the currently banned pieces will receive a look this fall, with errata considered to bring them back with a new card printed in a future set. We will do that twice a year, as well as dealing with any new problem figures that arise. So NCO will get a good look, and just a guess, since it seems errata would be relatively simple there, I think the probability of it happening will be high. But I won't speak for the other committee members.

This is awesome! Glad to see the balance team is looking at even the minor mishaps. Not just the "meta warping" pieces. +1

Quote:
As for Tim/Deri's idea of design for power, I think it's one of those things that is helpful to some, and intuitive to others who work in different ways. I for one never needed it, because I intuitively view things in their entirety on a general level. Probably why I've made a pretty good historian out of myself :).

i know you were mainly referring to the application of the design template on individual pieces, but it could also be used to assist each set in attempting to balance the factions. Deciding that certain factions probably do not need any 9's or 10's, but that factions like the Sith or OR could really use an extra push that a couple of the high powered pieces would bring.

Quote:
Other types of thinkers probably need something like that. So it can be a good idea. Or it can be a waste. Just depends on the person. For me personally, I design most figures to be in the tier 1.5 to 2 area, because I don't really like making tier 1 pieces, nor do I think it's necessary. I like roles for figures in a squad, that's what I usually focus on.

I wish more people felt that way. i do think that you can have some 9's spring up from the way that you personally design bill, and that is not always a bad thing. Atton "Jaq" Rand is definitely one of your best pieces, but arguably overpowered. If he wasn't in a bottom feeding faction then I do not think that case would be very hard to make.

If we are going to get to a point where every faction can compete then something in the design structure/process is going to have to change. As is, we are almost 10 sets in and only 3 factions have tier 1 options, IMO. (seps, Imps and Rep)
Mando
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 11:12:22 AM

Just listening to the SHNN show from last night right now and Lou brought up how the single biggest threat to the Rock squads is the Muun Tactics Broker. I think we could handle this issue with maybe making rock squad have the option of canceling activation control via a CE that would cancel activation control abilities from non-unique figures (that ways it still makes unique that have Master Tactician still good, but gets rid of the Muun or generic Tactician pieces) or just giving Rock squads more access to Never Tell Me The Odds.
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 11:44:18 AM

Mando wrote:
Just listening to the SHNN show from last night right now and Lou brought up how the single biggest threat to the Rock squads is the Muun Tactics Broker. I think we could handle this issue with maybe making rock squad have the option of canceling activation control via a CE that would cancel activation control abilities from non-unique figures (that ways it still makes unique that have Master Tactician still good, but gets rid of the Muun or generic Tactician pieces) or just giving Rock squads more access to Never Tell Me The Odds.

Not sure I agree (or disagree) with him, but if you're looking for a way to nerf a MTB, Reserves on a 1 is usually a pretty hard counter. Razz
Mando
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 12:31:41 PM

SignerJ wrote:
Mando wrote:

Not sure I agree (or disagree) with him, but if you're looking for a way to nerf a MTB, Reserves on a 1 is usually a pretty hard counter. Razz

Currently there aren't a ton of pieces that get reserves on a 1. The 2 factions that I can think of right of the top of my head are Seperatists and Vong. Seps kinda are the problem right now with the Muun, cause they are the reigning kings of Scissor squads and they have activation control. The vong piece that has the Reserves on a 1 kinda sucks....and the Vong have activation control also and also Scissor squad options as well. I think it'd be great if the other factions could get some peices with Reserves on a 1, but currently the 2 factions that have it IMO are adding to the problem, not helping it.