RegisterDonateLogin

Makes you a wonderful human being.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Future of the Game Options
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 6:43:25 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:

That aside - it's not a viable design strategy to try and push everything into top tier playability. We've seen what happens with that. First off, aiming for an exact power level is hard. The power 10 pieces need extreme focus and lots of playtesting. Try creating too many in a set and we get an "oops" power 11 or 12. Even if they all remain power 10s, too many in a set creates compounded power creep.

urbanjedi wrote:

since we now run things, there is no reason to create the nikto soldiers and klat enforcers of the world that went into the bin before they even came out.

Agreed - but nobody is doing this. These are power level 1 pieces. Unfortunately, some people think if you create a power level 6 piece - it will never get played. This is simply not true. Maybe any certain player won't ever play that piece, but often someone will. As said before, if nothing else, in a casual/themed/fun game. Which is perfectly valid and these pieces need to still be made.

Power 6 and 7 pieces can be the funnest pieces around. Legacy has produced the Republic Council Members. I absolutely love them! All of them are like power 7 or 8 pieces. You throw them into an army and it is the funnest I have had using people I have seen on Clone Wars in an army.

I think that fun should be the only factor when designing power 7 or lower pieces. I think Fun and just great representation/flavor. That is what I love.

TimmerB123 wrote:

Also - sometimes a true power of a piece lies dormant for years. Creative squad building can come up with combos missed by the majority. Sometimes a piece thought to be tier 2 or lower can suddenly show up in a solidly tier 1 squad. Like I said - tools in a toolbox.

urbanjedi wrote:

The whole idea was to know where the top power level where WOTC left us (Kybuck, Lancer, Han Cannon, Thrawn, etc) and add some options and fill out lots of the other factions and add fill out the rest of the sets with tier 2 stuff.

Agreed here.
But adding most of the set as top tier options is not the same as adding SOME options to tier one. Tier 2 (or 1.5 or however you define it) can easily become tier 1. All it takes is a missed synergy or a future synergy. I would argue that the bulk of the set should aim at tier 1.5 or tier 2. A few meta changing tier 1's in a set at max, and the rest themed/fun pieces.

Agreed thus far.

TimmerB123 wrote:

Here's a general power level guide:

1 - waste of plastic, paper, brain cells.
2 - unplayable, but not completely useless
3 - only playable if you're playing casual/draft type games
4 - mediocre/below average
5 - average
6 - situationally good
7 - can find it's way into a tier 1 squad with certain synergies
8 - can be found in multiple tier 1 squads, but doesn't necessarily define the squad type
9 - can be the key that makes several squads tier 1
10 - faction defining piece
11 - stupid

We as designers need to be conscious of spreading the power level out in each set.

Here's what we did on vsets 7 and 10 (I want to say they are using this system on set 11 as well, but don't quote me.) I believe they did something similar to this on sets 3 and 5 as well.

For a 54 piece set

Power 10 = 5 pieces (max)
Power 9 = 8 pieces
Power 8 = 14 pieces
Power 7 = 14 pieces
Power 6 = 8 pieces
Power 5 = 5 pieces
Power 1-4 = 0 pieces

ummm. what? you just said that the bulk of the set should be tier 1.5 or 2...

Power 8 are in tier 1 squads 14 + 8 +5 = 27 pieces 27 pieces out of a 54 set is half.
Heck even going to power 9 and up 13 pieces is 25% of the set being easily tier 1....

This looks really really hard to settle on to me. In my opinion it should be like this. Move your definition for power 10 piece to be a power 11 piece. Move your power 9 piece to be a power 10 piece, etc.

power 11 piece = 1 (max)
Power 10 pieces = 2 (max)
Power 9 pieces = 6-8
Power 8 pieces = 14-16
Power 7 pieces = 16-20

Power 7 and 8's are the meat and potatotes and I think that is where you find fun in a lot of cases (think Jarael, Dash Rendar before Mira replaced him, Captain Rex, etc.)

Sub factions are the key tothis game. It opens up designing possibilities while closing squad building a tad. Its a trade off for sure. BUT... it is safe. it allows designers to design without worrying about making a too powerful piece as much beacuse the options are limited. AND it gets rid of the need for these really stupid Rival (for this character even though it makes absolutely no sense) pieces

I do not understand why people are not catching on with that idea. There are all sorts of little sub factions that are made just for fun.

1. You can have more power pieces that represent the character this way
2. It relieves a lot of the pressure of having to worry about one of those synergies or CE's that make it way better than it as intended)
3. You can make the piece more consistent with its portrayal
4. It is just fun to play your favorite theme armies, that if built together, can be competitive.
(Who doesnt want to throw an army of Revan, Bastila, HK-47, and Carth Onasi together and have it work well?)
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 6:54:45 PM

atmsalad wrote:

Quote:
And saying "It's okay, it's a power 10 piece" is a very, very dangerous way to design.

Sweet! I am glad that we agree on that, but the problem is when you do not have a reference point then everyone gets a difference idea of what power 10 is. Tim's idea provides that reference point to come back to. I am really confused as to why that is a bad thing?Blink Because you didn't design that way?... that is ridiculous. If this would help to increase the quality of the v-sets then why not implement it?

The idea is fine there should be a reference point on defininf power pieces. However, if the sole idea to design is if it is going to see play or not than there is a problem.

When designing the power of the piece itself is important, but what is more important is the power of a piece within a squad. For instance Talon. By himself he is not much, in a sqaud he is devastating, same thing as Thrawn.

Look at the Corellian Legend that I despise so much. That Han, by itself is powerful and makes Wedge powerful. However, building a squad around him has proven to be very difficult. His power level in a squad is not that high.

Building pieces to be put into armies is difficult to do. Deaths_Baine is the best at this IMO, he designed Legends Streen and it is a masterful design. Perfect balance and very very fun in Legends. Anyway, point being that for pieces to see playing time competitively they have to be tier 1 by themself and make squads or tier 1 in a squad.

Boba Fett has been seen in many different forms in the NZ tournament where a ton of top players are players. He is a tier 1 piece by himself.
Thrawn is tier 1 and has seen lots of different variations same as Talon.

I guess what I am saying here is that TimmerB's definitions of power levels creats a designing system focusing on competitive play and I dont think that is necessary wanted or desired all the time.
Nor do I think 1 piece should be able to do as much Boba Fett and make squads tier 1 automatically (Unless it is a power 11 piece and those should only be the best of the best of the best like Thon, Revan, Sidious, Luke, Yoda, etc.)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:00:24 PM

jen'ari wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Quote:
And saying "It's okay, it's a power 10 piece" is a very, very dangerous way to design.

Sweet! I am glad that we agree on that, but the problem is when you do not have a reference point then everyone gets a difference idea of what power 10 is. Tim's idea provides that reference point to come back to. I am really confused as to why that is a bad thing?Blink Because you didn't design that way?... that is ridiculous. If this would help to increase the quality of the v-sets then why not implement it?

The idea is fine there should be a reference point on defininf power pieces. However, if the sole idea to design is if it is going to see play or not than there is a problem.

When designing the power of the piece itself is important, but what is more important is the power of a piece within a squad. For instance Talon. By himself he is not much, in a sqaud he is devastating, same thing as Thrawn.

Look at the Corellian Legend that I despise so much. That Han, by itself is powerful and makes Wedge powerful. However, building a squad around him has proven to be very difficult. His power level in a squad is not that high.

Building pieces to be put into armies is difficult to do. Deaths_Baine is the best at this IMO, he designed Legends Streen and it is a masterful design. Perfect balance and very very fun in Legends. Anyway, point being that for pieces to see playing time competitively they have to be tier 1 by themself and make squads or tier 1 in a squad.

Boba Fett has been seen in many different forms in the NZ tournament where a ton of top players are players. He is a tier 1 piece by himself.

I guess what I am saying here is that TimmerB's definitions of power levels creats a designing system focusing on competitive play and I dont think that is necessary wanted or desired all the time.
Nor do I think 1 piece should be able to do as much Boba Fett and make squads tier 1 automatically (Unless it is a power 11 piece and those should only be the best of the best of the best like Thon, Revan, Sidious, Luke, Yoda, etc.)

I do love that streen lol.
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:31:19 PM

jen'ari wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Quote:

I am going to assume that was given as a for instance and was just thrown together, lol. I am pretty sure tim would be the first to say we do not need multiple "faction defining" pieces in each set.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:34:25 PM

atmsalad wrote:

I am going to assume that was given as a for instance and was just thrown together, lol. I am pretty sure tim would be the first to say we do not need multiple "faction defining" pieces in each set.

Well I go by what was written. If I am not mistaken he called for 5 Power 10 pieces a set and Power 10 pieces are "faction defining" according to his definition.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:37:30 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Power 7 and 8's are the meat and potatotes and I think that is where you find fun in a lot of cases (think Jarael, Dash Rendar before Mira replaced him, Captain Rex, etc.

I think those three pieces are 3 of the best pure attackers in the game, and are at least a 9. GMA double/twin is always very strong, and all those pieces have placed in the final in GenCon in the last three years (Skybuck in 2012, Rex in 2012, Jarael in 2013). I don't even think Mira has replaced Dash, she's just very good in the current meta with Force Sense and she has some awesome tech, but her damage ceiling is lower and she has no defensive abilities; I don't think she's any stronger than the other pieces on your list, she's just very good in the current meta, and popular because she's new.

Right throughout this game, the problem has been that the best tech pieces have generally been stronger than the best attackers, which means that tech heavy squads generally beat squads of strong uniques. Currently Seps and Imperials are two of the best factions, but it's largely due to access to tempo control, initiative control, and other cheap tech, more than that their attackers are better than other faction's attackers; Thrawn tends to work best with the fringe attackers that everyone has access to, and I think the top Sep pieces are mostly a problem because they have access to an awesome tech backline of San Hill, Lobot, Gha Nachkt, and the MTB.

Unique, self-contained attackers are very rarely the problem in this game, but they get way too much focus - Mace, Satele Shan, Han Corellian Legend aren't the problems in this game, Daala snowtrooper swarms, Commando Droid Officer, and Klat Assassins were.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:52:12 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
Power 7 and 8's are the meat and potatotes and I think that is where you find fun in a lot of cases (think Jarael, Dash Rendar before Mira replaced him, Captain Rex, etc.

I think those three pieces are 3 of the best pure attackers in the game, and are at least a 9. GMA double/twin is always very strong, and all those pieces have placed in the final in GenCon in the last three years (Skybuck in 2012, Rex in 2012, Jarael in 2013). I don't even think Mira has replaced Dash, she's just very good in the current meta with Force Sense and she has some awesome tech, but her damage ceiling is lower and she has no defensive abilities; I don't think she's any stronger than the others.

The Rex I always Refer to is 501st. TN guys know that but there was no way for the rest of Bloomilk to know that. I dont like 33 pt Rex because of his overpowered nature and thus try not to speak about him. my apologies.

Jarael and Dash are 8's because this is what an 8 is:
can be found in multiple tier 1 squads, but doesn't necessarily define the squad type

If Mira has not replaced Dash yet it will happen very very soon. I have seen Mira in a ton of armies and have not seen Dash in a long time.

atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:52:31 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

I think those three pieces are 3 of the best pure attackers in the game, and are at least a 9. GMA double/twin is always very strong, and all those pieces have placed in the final in GenCon in the last three years (Skybuck in 2012, Rex in 2012, Jarael in 2013). I don't even think Mira has replaced Dash, she's just very good in the current meta with Force Sense and she has some awesome tech, but her damage ceiling is lower and she has no defensive abilities; I don't think she's any stronger than the other pieces on your list, she's just very good in the current meta, and popular because she's new.

Right throughout this game, the problem has been that the best tech pieces have generally been stronger than the best attackers, which means that tech heavy squads generally beat squads of strong uniques. Currently Seps and Imperials are two of the best factions, but it's largely due to access to tempo control, initiative control, and other cheap tech, more than that their attackers are better than other faction's attackers; Thrawn tends to work best with the fringe attackers that everyone has access to, and I think the top Sep pieces are mostly a problem because they have access to an awesome tech backline of San Hill, Lobot, Gha Nachkt, and the MTB.

Unique, self-contained attackers are very rarely the problem in this game, but they get way too much focus - Mace, Satele Shan, Han Corellian Legend aren't the problems in this game, Daala snowtrooper swarms, Commando Droid Officer, and Klat Assassins were.

This just goes to show that everyone has their own definition for each power level...
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:00:03 PM

atmsalad wrote:

This just goes to show that everyone has their own definition for each power level...

Which is true, but needs to be addressed as far as design team goes. Their is a quantifiable manner is determining power level.

Once definitions are accepted it will make it a thousand times easier.
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:07:17 PM

jen'ari wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Which is true, but needs to be addressed as far as design team goes. Their is a quantifiable manner is determining power level.

I completely agree jen'ari, if yall haven't adopted something like this already for legends it could be very beneficial.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:18:51 PM

atmsalad wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

I completely agree jen'ari, if yall haven't adopted something like this already for legends it could be very beneficial.

ummm... we kind of do something different.

We have power pieces I thik this upcoming set has 3 (Cad Bane, Lord Hoth, and Luke) that should be big players but not overpowered and than the rest we kind of just state our purpose for the piece. So we state tier 1.5 (like the Talzin coming out soon), Fun, theme, or a specific purpose (want to give other 20 pt options other than Bossk or I want to help Kit Fisto while providing a good option (Aayla Secura)).
We try to keep a lot of options open by creating a lot of 8's as a general rule.

It works for us because the design team is all on the same page. It is a good idea to make it more concrete though and I will run it by ol' Bronson
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 6:10:42 AM

I think many people are misunderstanding the scale I posted.

A side note- I didn't create the concept. I believe Deri was the first to introduce it to the vsets. Regardless - we don't need to keep referring to me when referencing this.

I was not trying to force this on anyone. It's just a GENERAL GUIDE. As stated several times, it is not meant to be hard and fast. It's not a perfect science, and hitting the power mark is not always accurate, but it helps to know what you're aiming at. It's flexible, and it need not be exactly this. I have found and many other designers agree that it is a very useful exercise to do after the set list has been made, but before stats start to be posted.

A core reason for it is to LIMIT the number of power pieces, not require them. There has been a huge outcry by the community as well as many designers that power creep has gotten out of control. A set containing over half it's pieces as 9s and 10s is out of control. Most designers innately want to make powerful pieces, but we need to put our egos aside and be more in control of power creep.

I think a major problem is NOT ATTEMPTING in any way to have a power level in mind. I ENCOURAGE designing tier 2 and 1.5 pieces. There are some designers who like to design fun pieces and bring back unused WotC pieces. They are actually in the minority. Even those designers that do like to design those pieces still have to understand the impact on the competitive game. If it doesn't impact it (tier 2 or below) - then no problem! But even the designers who like to design these types of figures have still put out power 10, 11 and even 12 pieces. This is why we need a system like this.

More than anything - it helps when it comes to play testing. Without a power level that you are aiming at, the only recourse for play testers is to prove something is "broken". Not an easy thing to do. But if several play tests come back calling a piece a 9 or a 10, and you were aiming at casual (5,6 or even a 7) - then you need to scale back. Having too many pieces at the top end without a power level target means at best everything is pushed back ONLY to a 10 (just under the "broken" cap), and even then some slip through. Not to mention then you are still top end heavy, warping the game.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 6:15:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The scale that TheHutts uses is closer to this:

Quote:
1 - Useless. In any squad, there is a better option to do the same thing.
2 - Unplayable. While not strictly replaced by another piece, in any squad (even at a casual level) there is a better use for the points.
3 - Casual only. Interesting enough that you might want to pull it out for a casual game, but it will make your squad worse - even in a casual game.
4 / 5 - Mediocre / Average. If these pieces are in a competitive squad, they are making the squad worse.
6 - Situationally good. You might see this piece in a competitive game, but it's either a reinforcements-only option or it really only fits into one specific build.
7 - Barely Competitive. These pieces are not out of place in a Tier 1 squad, but they are not pieces you would build around. Probably need synergy to work well.
8 or 9 - Competitive. Tier 1 options.
10 - Very strong. These are pieces so strong that you build squads around them.
11 - Power piece. Pieces that get complaints about being broken. Strong tech pieces that show up in squad after squad after squad.

(Copied from page 60 of the Mini of the Day thread. A summary of this is listed in the first post of the Mini of the Day thread.)
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 6:22:07 AM

jen'ari wrote:

Sub factions are the key tothis game. It opens up designing possibilities while closing squad building a tad. Its a trade off for sure. BUT... it is safe. it allows designers to design without worrying about making a too powerful piece as much beacuse the options are limited. AND it gets rid of the need for these really stupid Rival (for this character even though it makes absolutely no sense) pieces

I agree with this 100%

Giving boosts (directly or indirectly) to overly-broad groups is detrimental to this game at this point. Sub-factions are awesome!

Imagine if the CDO's CE only effected allies NAME Commando Droid. SOOOOOOOOO much better.

How about the Neo Crusader Officer? Imagine if the CE was limited to Neo Crusader followers? That would be great! People might actually use the Neo Crusaders OTHER than the officers! Future sets could make cool Neo Crusaders to work with them too!

We as designers need to STOP and think REALLY HARD whenever we make a CE or other boost that is for all followers, and we virtually NEVER need ones anymore that are for all allies.

Pieces that are meant to boost a certain subfaction, but then are not limited to that subfaction, really miss the mark - and frequently end up broken! Of course people will use the best pieces around, and not limit themselves to that subfaction, even if that was the intent.

So we just need to design boosts with a smaller net. Subfactions (and limiting boosts to only within them) is a great way to do this. Not the only way, but an excellent way.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 6:26:26 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The scale that TheHutts uses is closer to this:

Quote:
1 - Useless. In any squad, there is a better option to do the same thing.
2 - Unplayable. While not strictly replaced by another piece, in any squad (even at a casual level) there is a better use for the points.
3 - Casual only. Interesting enough that you might want to pull it out for a casual game, but it will make your squad worse - even in a casual game.
4 / 5 - Mediocre / Average. If these pieces are in a competitive squad, they are making the squad worse.
6 - Situationally good. You might see this piece in a competitive game, but it's either a reinforcements-only option or it really only fits into one specific build.
7 - Barely Competitive. These pieces are not out of place in a Tier 1 squad, but they are not pieces you would build around. Probably need synergy to work well.
8 or 9 - Competitive. Tier 1 options.
10 - Very strong. These are pieces so strong that you build squads around them.
11 - Power piece. Pieces that get complaints about being broken. Strong tech pieces that show up in squad after squad after squad.

(Copied from page 60 of the Mini of the Day thread. A summary of this is listed in the first post of the Mini of the Day thread.)

I searched and searched for this! lol!

No wonder I didn't find it. It was on page 60 of that thread!!!

Anyway - this is a better list. I was just doing it off the cuff and specifically "faction defining" was overstated.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 6:28:08 AM

I thought he copied it to the first post, but he didn't copy the whole list.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 6:37:46 AM

I like your list TJ.

I added some specific thoughts on some of them.

Here's the Franken-list (Mostly TJ, some from me)

(updated with better definitions)
1 - Useless. In any squad, there is a better option to do the same thing. Waste of plastic, paper, brain cells.
4 - Mediocre/below average - If these pieces are in a competitive squad, they are making the squad worse.
5 - Average - Still there is almost always a better piece to go to, but in the perfect scenario it could be the right call
8 - Decently competitive - can be found in tier 1 squads, but doesn't necessarily define the squad type
9 - Solidly competitive - can be the key that makes several squads tier 1
10 -Very strong, Undoubtedly competitive. These are pieces so strong that you build squads around them
11 - Stupid. Power piece. Pieces that get complaints about being broken. Strong tech pieces that show up in squad after squad after squad.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 9:42:48 AM

As a fellow designer on set 10, I have to say that this worked out really well for us (generally). I had a hard time wrapping my head around it at first, just because there's so much variance in how people define power levels. I think the combo posted above hits it pretty well, but the main thing is not so much to have so many pieces at such and such a power level. The main thing is just to be aware of what you're aiming for and then to check in throughout the process and make sure 1. that the mark you were originally aiming at still makes sense and 2. that you're actually hitting that mark.

On set 10, it went something like this:

We agreed on a "bell curve" distribution from level 5 to level 10.

We decided who would present the inital stat blocks for each piece in the set.

Based on the first two, each person had an approximate number of pieces at each power level they were responsible for (this obviously had some variance, as certain pieces lend themselves more to certain levels, and certain people were more or less interested in designing at certain power levels.)

Each person took their list of pieces and assigned an initial level (or range) to each piece. This was clearly understood by everyone as a starting point.

We posted initial stat blocks, bearing in mind the power level we were aiming for, typically including our thoughts or where the piece fit in the game/faction and what we were trying to reflect.

As we went through the process, there were multiple checks and rechecks to see if we were about where we were supposed to be. Oftentimes, one of us would feel stuck on something, and we would refer back to our initial thoughts on where the piece was supposed to fit and how powerful it was supposed to be, which helped a lot in getting back on track. Some pieces were relatively easy to move through the process, some ended up a little bit more powerful than we originally thought they would be, a few less so. But having that matrix in place was really helpful, at least for me.

Now, to be absolutely clear, I am not saying, and I don't think Tim was saying, that every set of designers needs to implement this in exactly the same way, or that the team as a whole should set something down in stone and say every set must be done this way. The main idea is just to add some organization and, even more important, some mindfulness (*metaphysical buzzword alert*) to the process, so we don't wind up overwhelming the meta with a bunch of overpowered pieces OR releasing a set full of things that are ALMOST good enough. I don't know if we succeeded on 10, but I think we came up with some really cool stuff that will shake things up, even at levels 6 and 7.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 12:02:53 PM

can i get like a sample of what the designers from set 10 considered each power level if possible? like is dash a 8-9-10?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2015 12:13:07 PM

TheHutts mini of the day list illustrates it brilliantly. I agree with his ratings 95% of the time. When I don't it's usually a small quibble of 1 point up or 1 point down.

I'd rate Dash Rendar RS a 9 or a 10 as a point of reference