RegisterDonateLogin

As wise as Master Yoda, and as powerful as Master Windu.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Reboot Week 46 -Yoda (non-commander) Options
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 7:22:11 PM
Groups: Member

Design a non commander Yoda. We have only one good Yoda in Republic imo (KybucK) and one good Yoda in Rebels in Dagobah, but neither are very high tier these days or good by themselves. We all know Yoda deserves more.

Rules

1. The character must be canon and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

5. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7.. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, March April 1st, 2017 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 8pm EST on Monday, April 3rd 2017
At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with his/her choice of theme
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:54:24 AM

howdy.

I won't have time to get the white-out onto this yoda

just 'imagine' there's no commander effect, and drop the cost by ~11pts hehe. BigGrin

the concept is there though;
this is a darker, younger, fringe Yoda.
so, this is Yoda circa his sabbatical from the order, that Dathomir witches and the loss of the Chu'unthor? (some other folks came up with the name for that wandering Jedi Temple Ship thing - they came up with that prior to SGU too)

Troubled past, Yoda has.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:08:25 PM

force redirect is incredible
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:02:32 PM

Bold move with fringe Yoda! Would definitely need a glossary for his abilities to choose from haha.

My take is from the old Clone Wars Cartoon:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27450/yoda--hero-of-coruscant
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:27:11 PM

My apologies for lack of entries and constructive input as of late.

Here is my latest take on Yoda...

Yoda, Mentor of A New Hope
Kamikaze13
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:57:38 AM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27452/dark-yoda

Doing something a little different on this one.
donnyrides
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:20:45 AM

Yoda is surprisingly tough to build without a CE. I had trouble making something that was useful, not equal to other yodas and still not too OP.

yoda--master-of-form-iv
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 11:12:55 AM

Naarkon
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 3:07:41 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27466/jedi-master-yoda

Here is mine. It has been forever since I have done this and costing was never my strong suit, so any feedback is appreciated.
Kamikaze13
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 4:47:15 PM

@Kobay, Wouldn't Force Ascetic make it so he could not use Karmic Mettle? Nice piece though, Lightsaber Style Master and Force Redirect 2 are cool!
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:31:00 PM

SithBot
Posted: Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:52:11 PM

kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, April 1, 2017 8:47:02 PM

@Kamikaze13
thanks, though I cannot take sole credit for that piece -
the local game store gang and I collaborated on that for around 8 months of playtesting hehe.
Phil even helped make the card!
the Force Redirect was initially way overpowered and undercosted...

Force Redirect 1: 1fp, save 16: the power still affects the recipient, but the caster of the power also suffers the same effect, save 16.
Force Redirect 2: 2fp, save 11. The power is negated which would effect this character, and this character may instead make an enemy suffer from that power within LineofSight, save 11. - this can also include a 'daisy chain', if this yoda is collateral to an attack, to bounce stuff to another location that Yoda can see...
Force Redirect 3: 3fp, X saves per 10Dmg increment; the power is selectively negated, and this character can redirect the power to another target (friend or foe alike) in LoS, save 11. The caster of the power is also subject to the power, save 11.
then, of course, uber-turbo Force Redirect or Absorb 5FP etc.

Force Absorb is still a much more reliable way to defend against some Force Powers, so, we didn't take anything away from existing Force Absorb hehe. Force Redirect is going to probably be a faction-specific or character-specific power, it's not something that'd come up too often hehe.

This piece was originally to not have had Lightsaber Style Master, and instead would have had Attack X - this character may make 1 attack per adjacent enemy. That's something we don't want to hand out too often though, its a 15pt ability. It would have worked with Flying Cleave and Whirlwind Attack etc...
The flurry and Use the Force loop worked out to be more thematic.
that, and Yoda has more survivability options, seeing as how I couldn't cram Lightsaber Defense or Parry/Evade in or get it past the brains-trust hehe.

Force Ascetic indeed precludes this Yoda from using to reroll a failed attack, or to move additional squares...
there might be some loopholes for Yoda to reroll things though. such as, dispelling a Force Ghost etc.
Force Duel etc.
in the event there were any loopholes, or that Force Ascetic were to be removed (Tahl, Yaddle, Arroyo-the Dark Woman)
we wanted this Yoda to still be balanced.

However, if he has a Lightsaber Style power that would allow him to roll or re-roll, we covered the hypothetical of SSM/GOWK
and Karmic Mettle seems to do that. -4 to reroll, and 10dmg on a fail (these bonuses stack).
If he somehow acquired some force powers, Karmic Mettle will also prevent Yoda from abusing some potential combos.
if he could somehow abrogate Force Ascetic, Karmic Mettle is there to also prevent Yoda from being exceedingly broken.

A lot of folks in local meta, hated GOWK with a passion, and that carries through to this piece hehe. BigGrin
I also think it's redundant somewhat, but, from that perspective, it's still a negative which helps keeps yoda's costs down, and which prevents a GOWK 2,0. Speed 5, Ascetic and Karmic Mettle help keep Yoda's cost under the 60s.-high 70s.

Tangent: I will have to re-program the spread-sheet or XML, to factor in to the costing,
whether or not the ability would cancel itself out, as an overall negative or positive costing.

Force Empathic +10 also influences how you play this yoda -
every time a character with a force rating is defeated, this Yoda takes 10DMG. no save, just an unavoidable 10DMG.
so, you'll want to be careful how you play this Yoda.
think twice before you have an army of felucians or generic force users with this yoda
there's a great temptation in the regular version of Yoda, Scrupulous Journeyman;
allied force users may use this Yoda's Force Points, and crucially, can combine their own force points with this Yoda's...
they may also spend force points 1 additional time per turn, effectively handing out Master of the Force + 1

so, if you had troopers somehow now with a force point, maybe a force power like Force Burst or something,
and yoda... you could use 2 force points to move +4 squares.
but, if you have 11 troopers and they all die... Yoda is auto-dead.
your opponent might therefore ignore yoda's positioning in some scenarios... trying to TKO yoda instead.
you're not going to have many points left over in 250, 300 etc, for enough to really make those scrubs tanked,
and superstealthed etc, so it balances itself out.

And, don't worry, that Rivalry prevents Yoda + Lord Kaan in Dynamic Duos. that would be horrific auto "I win".
they camp gambit, and force bomb 2 or 3 times...
SithBot
Posted: Sunday, April 2, 2017 5:43:26 PM

Well my custom is out b/c it has a CE.

but my votes are:

1. Spryguy13 I love the cost. acrobatic, speed, and flurry is a great combo and very smart to leave off mastery

2. Kamikaze13 What can I say, the unique Yoda's are fun.. and I learned some stuff about Yoda. I like the idea between the fight of the dark and the light even within Yoda.

3. kobayashimaru (if it was cleaned up a bit it would have probably been #1, sorry I have not had time to give feedback)

Naarkon's Yoda was very very close and I wish we could do ties for 3rd. I love the speed 4 charging combo and that Yoda's force powers are very Yoda-ish. Overall the uniqueness of Kobayashimaru's gave it the edge.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, April 2, 2017 5:55:38 PM

1. kobayashimaru Force redirect is simply that good. I, too, think that a few things could be cleaned up, but man it is a great piece. like i wish flying cleave did not provoke AoO, but the use the force and flurry combo with MoF3 gets interesting. Makes him like the Yoda killing all the droids in one of the earlier Clone War episodes.

2. Naarkon. the speed 4 is pretty brilliant

3. Donnyrides. Decapitation on Yoda!!! awesome. I also the simplicity and low cost. the parry with deflect is refreshing as well

Sithbot yours was looking cool, I recommend getting it on here earlier fort a bit of feedback so it can be 100% ready..
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, April 2, 2017 7:51:07 PM

alrighty it's voting time:
1. Naarkon
This is something I'd probably see in a booster, and think "Awesome!"; it's yoda.
2. Kamikaze13
That was a really interesting take on the potential darkside of Yoda, and there are some abilities which are creative/non-linear.
3. SpryGuy1981
This is the Yoda I'd want in 300 or dynamic duos, the damage output and survivability is there.

This was a hard contest to discern from the entries -
there were a lot of honorable mentions, as everyone brought something awesome to this build -
I think the guides at the start helped make the creativity happen.
This was awesome to see Yoda's that weren't force batteries or ghosts, that you could build a squad around. BigGrin
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2017 6:15:51 AM

1. Kamikaze13 - Dark Yoda
I had never heard of this character/concept/thing before, but it is super cool. Dark side shadow sounds really interesting to mess around with.

2. Jen'ari - Yoda, Master Jedi
This is just a really solid, hard to pin down mobile Jedi. Really feels like Yoda jumping around in episode II. Saber Swarm is also interesting.

3. donnyrides - Yoda, Master of Form IV
I really like agile and dificult target on Yoda. Really fits the character. Decapitation is also a really nice ability that is still flavorful.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2017 7:03:21 AM

1. Spryguy - Yoda, senior Council Member - This is kind of what I was trying to build but couldn't find a good way to do Flurry/MotF2/Ataru mastery. While I still worry about LS Flurry with MotF 2 and Tarpals, I think you get what you pay for. Nice work

2 Kam - Dark Yoda. Cool idea. I would love to use 2 yodas!

3 Naarkon - Yoda, Mentor of a new hope. I'm sorry I didn't get to leave you feedback. I love visualizing the slow moving cane wielding yoda, then when it's time to fight, he bursts into action.

To the rest of you, Great work. I am sorry I didn't follow up on or even leave feedback on everyone. No Excuse.... Sorry.

This was a great week. look at all the chatter and thoughts flowing. It's pretty awesome. ThumbsUp
Kamikaze13
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2017 8:54:47 AM

1st: General_Grievous

2nd: Naarkon

3rd: saber1
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2017 8:57:06 AM

1. Kamikaze love the fresh take on him and different outlook.

2. Koba solid all around.

3. Naarkon I like the idea behind this one.

Great job to all.