RegisterDonateLogin

As wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 163 - Side Quest Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:18:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This week's topic is creating a character with a "side quest". That is - the character will do something (not just attacking enemies) to gain some benefit. The benefit should make it worth doing, but not so great that accomplishing it or not decides the game.

The only example in the game that I can think of is Resistance Spy Droid (with Vital Information), but I'm probably forgetting something.

Some near-examples are Vision in the Cave, Neimoidians with Central Control Computer, and Han Solo in Carbonite.

Neimoidians with CCC (see set 18 spoiler thread) basically provide a side quest for the opponent - causing 10dmg to all droids if CCC is defeated. But the side quest is just attacking a commander, which is something they're likely to do anyway.

Vision in the Cave provides a benefit for getting near it at the center of the board. But, again, that's where the action is anyway so not much of a quest.

Han Solo in Carbonite is definitely a quest but it's not really optional for the Rebels so it's hard to call it a "side quest". If you put that many points into Han, it's hard to win without freeing him. (Although tint won at least one game with Prison Break in 2016 without freeing Han. But the squad title itself makes it clear it's not a side quest.)

So there's the challenge... a character that does something (other than just attacking/defeating enemies) to gain some benefit. Or provides a similar side quest option to enemies. Powerful enough option to be worth attempting but not so powerful that the outcome - or even ignoring it completely - automatically swings the game one way or the other.

Good luck!

1. The character must be canonical to either of the Canon or Legends continuities and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

5. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at least 10 forum posts.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until MONDAY, July 29th, 2019 @8pm EDT to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Monday evening and end at 11pm EDT on Tuesday, July 30th, 2019.

At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of them
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:25:22 PM

I made this a 6-day instead of 7-day challenge since GenCon is coming up.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:12:30 PM
Groups: Member

Tough one. Here is my first crack at it.

Going for the ol' Exar finds where Arca left Freedon nadd's tomb side quest

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/35962/tomb-of-freedon-nadd
kiki
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:05:05 PM

General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:17:40 AM

DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:20:05 AM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/35974/canto-bight-racing-fathier

I may updated to be more of a side quest for the enemy but this is what I got for now.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 3:24:45 AM

adamb0nd
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 7:38:33 PM

General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 7:32:33 AM

Adam, a little bit of a wordy quest but very cool capture the flag like mechanic. And would be fun to have the little droid trying to sneak over and back. I like it.

Gandalf, I still find Bastilla way to strong and game imbalancing and Bastilla-lite for the masses I think would only continue the trend of many and sometimes complex SAs replacing simple Commander effects. That being said I do like the idea of jedi protecting a meditating force user and helping bring him to the center. But I can just see this guy sitting in all of the light side factions start up area and shutting down enemy CEs forever.

DarkDracul, first off welcome to the CCC cool first entry. Maybe a bit wordy and too many Special Abilities for such a low cost character but I do like the general mechanic behind your side quest of rampaging through haha.

Kiki, excellent and simple quest! I really like it.

Jen I like everything about your piece except the opponent can't kill it and gain points from it. I would consider adding a ton of HP and no Defense and allow enemy characters to destroy and seal the tomb forever. Alternatively you could just let enemies be allowed to enter the tomb and replace their turn to destroy it.

3rd DD
2nd Adam
1st Kiki
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:07:44 AM

I probably should have tried to enter my own idea, but I've tried this design challenge and failed enough in the past.

jen'ari - Unfortunately, "Tomb" allows a user to move an almost-dead big beatstick off the board and make them unkillable. That kind of points-denial is probably pretty powerful and an NPE. (Possibly broken.) Easy enough to remedy, though, by giving the Tomb itself hit points - even if it's like 300hp or something like that. I'll evaluate it assuming it gets that fix.

kiki - Looks a bit overcosted, but overall good piece.

GG - I like it. An 18pt full-heal station that you want to put close enough to use but not so close that it's an easy kill for the opponent. Probably needs some PT to zero in on the right HP and cost, but love the idea.

DarkDracul - Love the story, but the amount of text on the card is a bit overwhelming.

gandalf - Interesting way to get +20dmg to Old Republic.

adamb0nd - That seems like a hard quest to complete, so it seems more likely that the opponent gets the +4 boost.

1. GG
2. jen'ari
3. kiki
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 12:08:40 PM

1. Jen'ari
2. GG
3. DarkDracul
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 2:08:08 PM

1. GG

2. jen'ari

3. adamb0nd
kiki
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 7:27:47 PM

1. Gandalf

2. Adam

3. GG
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:33:15 AM

1. GG
2. Kiki
3. Gandalf

Thanks for the thoughts on my piece by the way, I never got around to fixing it but think they are good points to be made. I liked this week's but got busy with high school soccer starting and getting ready for teaching high school.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:32:50 AM

Well looks like it's me with 12. Thank you very much guys and I'll post up another one shortly. Very cool theme this week so will be hard to top haha.