Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:32:24 AM
Groups: Member

-Post is a form of a bait-
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:36:53 AM

RannKonnar wrote:

I’ve removed content from this thread because baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3540

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and refrain from making personal attacks.
RannKonnar
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:41:30 AM

oops. Sorry
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:58:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I am going to piggy-back on this thread for something that needs SPOKEN OUT:
FYI...the CoC rules DO also apply to squad names, squad creator comments, and all comments left on the squad by other members. If any of these are in violation of the CoC rules, then please bring it to the attention of a moderator. It will be dealt with by them and with the appropriate action.

Thank you.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:13:07 AM

It says speak out so I will. I dont post here very much any more do to some of the hostility and the fact I will defend myself which causes more hostilities.

I have what I would say is a good relationship with Aaron (Shinja). We have played on vassal spoken at Gencon and generally over 4 years had more good times than bad.

I think before folks start calling out mods and declaring favortism they need to know a couple of things.

1. All decisions yesterday were made by Aaron (Shinja). If you all think he is such a great guy for running this site he built then you should have some trust in his judgement.

2. Aaron has all the facts. Do you??? Are some things being said by others to slant things their way or make themselves look better???? Ask yourself this in fairness to Aaron.

So when people get on here declaring favortism for some and harshness for others you are not slamming me. You are questioning Aaron's (Shinja) character. You are saying he is guilty of favortism and he is the problem. Like it or not Aaron made the decision here guys.

I realize some of you hate my guts and think all of this is my fault. That is fine. It maybe completely uninformed or wrong opinion (not because you lack intelligence but because no one has told you the truth). See the truth is what Aaron eventually got to see. He based his decision on that (which was wise on his part).

If you are going to decide that what happened was an injustice then you need to decide what you think of Aaron. Because you guys are always giving him props and telling him how great he is. Is he only great when he does stuff you like??? Or is he great when he does what he has too??? A good leader makes unpopular decisions based on facts not favortism. So by screaming at the top of your lungs that favortism is what happened you are really slapping Aaron in the face.

I find it sad to see people who have declared Aaron is the greatest to suddenly turn on him. Most folks would deny this but the truth is by carrying on and griping about his INFORMED decision you are saying you really dont value his judgement. It is his site and by that alone he can do what he wishes.

I have seen now a couple of posts that I am going to quit playing minis or I am going not go to gencon. Well that is sad and silly at the same time. First you are letting a forum decide what is fun for you whether it be a game or a great trip. Second you would miss the chance to meet Aaron face to face. All because you dont like his decision.

I have told Aaron this and I will share it with you. I think Aaron made a mistake with bloomilk. The mistake was he did not have moderators and a Code of Conduct from the day he opened the forums. There was a year when basically anything went and so people got a sense a security about what they could post. Unfortunately as time went by this wa proven to be a false sense of security. Aaron has made changes and expects people to honor them. How can you guys be so behind Aaron and then when he makes a decision decide you are quitting the game??? That is drastic.

Guys I am not going to post a lot here I know I am not wanted. Please though do me a favor show Aaron some respect. You talk about respecting him all the time around here. But when he makes a decision that you dont like or know all the facts about you are suddenly mad at him and the moderators??? Come on guys you are better than that.

Well that is all I have
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:28:31 AM

Very well said Dean.

And I'll repeat what others have said previously in regards to the impression you have that you are not wanted around here. A few rabble rousers bashing you on here doesn't (or at least shouldn't) speak for the rest of us. Post as little or as often as you like, but I hope you don't continue to feel unwelcome because of a few bad apples out of a truckload.

BlooMilk
Cordova
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:53:16 AM

My 2 cents that are really pennies due to local currency...

I have only been playing htis game for a year or two I guess, and only really against one of my mates, so I'm pretty chillaxed about it. However, I have been playing 40k for years, and am pretty into that, or was. I have seen sites with pretty much autocratic moderator teams, and I have seen some without, as well as those that lie between. The dictatorial sites suck thanks to elitism and the fact that as soon as you post an idea or opinon that doesn't conform to the old guard you get shot to pieces. You can't learn, you can't progress, they are a stagnant pool of arsehattery. The liberal sites have the opposite. You can say what you want, but nothing gets done and you still can't progress. Those that are balanced, as this is becoming are the best. You post a crap idea, you're told it's crap but also how to improve - surely that's half the point.

And as for personal things, I really don't get them. From the outside, sure billiv and dean seem to be big players, but for good reason. Heck, if either of them (or any top player) rated a squad, or played against me on Vassal, I'd expect to be criticised/destroyed - but the thing is they both try to improve the game, and if I asked how to improve I know they'd help.

All this site is changing to is one where this atmosphere can be fostered, without the self gratifiying arguments and one sided opinions, which is surely a greater atmosphere to be in than one that is always negative??

Anyway, that's a new guys perspective, feel free to knock it, it's the internet... I expect it to happen...
defender390
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:56:53 AM

I'll give Shinja props for setting the site up. I think it is the best SW miniatures website out there. I disagree that moderators were necessary in the beginning, though, mainly because people were pretty good about policing themselves. This has changed recently, and shinja has been doing all he can to fix it. This resulted in the establishment of moderators, which have now been thrust into the same situation of patching up a fractured community. I think these are all unfortunate growing pains in a developing website. The problem now, I think occurs in the CoC. I think they need to be more expansive and define the roles of users and moderators clearly. Hopefully, that will fix many of the problems by allowing users to know exactly how everything works.

I understand completely that Shinja made an informed decision, and I will not criticise him for it. It is his website and I trust in his ability to run it. I have never disagreed with anything he has done before, and I still haven't. However, from the perspective of a user that did not see everything play out ,it is a little disheartening to all of the sudden see two longtime members suspended and one banned. The fault for this lack of communication does not fall on anybody, it is just an unfortunate situation for the community that needs to be addressed. I think the extent of the privacy pertaining to moderation needs to be established. Of course the moderators need their own private forum to discuss away from the public, but I see no reason why the public should not know the general details of why action has been taken against another member. In a different forum this might not be true, but Bloomilk is pretty tight knit. In such close communities, communication is key. I do not see how our moderators can act as both contributing members and hidden moderators. As such, I would like to see this addition to the CoC that will hopefully nip any issues in the bud (it is a toned down version of my other one):

"Members should avoid attacking personally other members, unless it's between friends and you know you aren't causing unnecessary offence. People come here to get some rest. Not to be threatened or feel uncomfortable for any reason.
Members who will make other people's lives difficult will be banned (the admins and mods of the forum will take the decision collectively).
Also, please do not make the mod's life difficult by demanding his interference in public. Do not contibute to the flamewar by accusing anyone of anything. If you have a problem with another member's behaviour, stand back and just alert a mod in private. Go to a neutral corner and wait. Understand that mods do this because they care for the game and for the community. It's a thankless job that we should not make even more difficult.

Mods should always try to help their forum's members. Never leave a question unanswered, and always be polite. Use your privileges only when necessary. If uncertain ask an online admin. Never use your privileges without adding a public note in the topic explaining your decision. Patience and politeness are vital. People may make mistakes, have a bad day and be aggressive. No reason to stop being polite to them. Mods are here to help, not to police. Also, please don't show preferential behavior. Judge based on the post, not on your feelings or on the track record of the members. If you can't be neutral, you can't be mods."

I truly hope that Bloomilk can make it past this phase relatively unscathed.

PS: Dean, please don't leave. Things will improve.
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:13:40 AM

kenred2 wrote:
RannKonnar wrote:

I’ve removed content from this thread because baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3540

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and refrain from making personal attacks.

this Code of Conduct is STILL under the dastardly name of "Rules of THUMB"
and i.... can't say much due to the the rules....
wwweeeeeeeeeeehhhhwwwwww SPLAT!!!
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:33:16 AM

This will be updated in the very near future. Hopefully it will help remove a lot of the confusion. BlooMilk
Ruhk
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:10:49 AM

More moderators would be good.. as a 'rule of thumb' (ahahahahah), its good to have at least one for every category.
RannKonnar
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:47:49 AM

I just want to say, thanx to Aaron and the mods.
Boris The Blade
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:33:58 PM

Speaking out will get you suspended and or banned.
Fact.
This is not bait, and this is not an attack, so there will be no need to edit this message, for its content is quite simple and honest, and most definitely not inflammatory.
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:40:53 PM

Boris The Blade wrote:
Fact.
This is not bait, and this is not an attack, so there will be no need to edit this message, for its content is quite simple and honest, and most definitely not inflammatory.

You don't state speaking out will get someone banned/suspended, it is not a fact.... we are mods and we are the judge of that. But if it turns into a form of a bait, then it's an issue that will get to those things.
Boris The Blade
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:42:33 PM

kenred2 wrote:
Boris The Blade wrote:
Fact.

You don't state speaking out will get someone banned/suspended, it is not a fact.... we are mods and we are the judge of that.

Tis my point.
Thank you.
Boris The Blade
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:45:03 PM

why did you edit your message?
i thought you got the point across perfectly.
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:48:07 PM

Boris The Blade wrote:
why did you edit your message?

My post is edited and will be kept that way, that's the point I am trying to get across.
Boris The Blade
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:57:34 PM

Boris The Blade wrote:

ThumbsUp
eMouse
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:45:02 PM

Boris The Blade wrote:
Fact.

Being belligerent and insulting will get you suspended or banned.

And yes, your post is inflammatory.
Zalkrie
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:52:57 PM

swinefeld wrote:
Very well said Dean.

And I'll repeat what others have said previously in regards to the impression you have that you are not wanted around here. A few rabble rousers bashing you on here doesn't (or at least shouldn't) speak for the rest of us. Post as little or as often as you like, but I hope you don't continue to feel unwelcome because of a few bad apples out of a truckload.

BlooMilk

My sentiments exacltly Dean......well written post, and I also do not think you are unwelcome here. I might not always agree with you or with Bill, but I have to respect you as players and adults. You have proven your worth to the community over and over. Please frequent this site and give input as you see fit, but don't think you are not welcome because of a couple bad apples as swinefeld said. Keep up the good work Dean, and keep your chin up!!!