RegisterDonateLogin

Will make point five past lightspeed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:16:18 AM
Groups: Member

corranhorn wrote:
Chis Rogue- Honestly it's not the Careful Shot +4 that's the issue so much as Evade/Parry/Twin. I'd look at dropping Evade. He can stil get it pretty easily if you want it in a particular squad.

Kota- Still, though, like you say even as an old guy he should be pretty dangerous. I really think he needs an Attack boost to at least +12 to be good for his cost. Defensive stuff dosen't matter as much for him, he can get Evade and Mobile (for force Push 2) from Rieekan.

Talz- Agreed, but I'd still bump his HP up to 100. He'll die too fast as is.

Techno Union- True, but to be a commando you'd have to be able to survive a battle.

Well, .....

The Chiss Rogue - I'm actually more included to dump Parry ... he's got a blaster besides the blade, and while the blade is nice, I'm more inclined to believe the piece will be used as a ranged piece and not melee ....

Kota - I looked at the WOTC Kota, he has 23 D and 12 attack - if he's "slowed by age, I couldn't really give him 12 Attack, but I bumped him up to 21 D and up to 10 from 9 Attack ....

Talz - Since so many Jedi are below 100, I say leave him and let him die young RollEyes ..... must be the residual annoyance at bumping into 25 Talz last game .......

Techno Commando - Interestingly enough, from what I remember of WWII history, some commando units were treated more as suicide units, sacrificing themselves to get the objective. That's how I picture Sep commando's.

.... but speaking of under 100 pt Jedi, I've been redoing a few things .... I can't say more because I'd have to kill something ....
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:14:54 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
Chis Rogue- Honestly it's not the Careful Shot +4 that's the issue so much as Evade/Parry/Twin. I'd look at dropping Evade. He can stil get it pretty easily if you want it in a particular squad.

Kota- Still, though, like you say even as an old guy he should be pretty dangerous. I really think he needs an Attack boost to at least +12 to be good for his cost. Defensive stuff dosen't matter as much for him, he can get Evade and Mobile (for force Push 2) from Rieekan.

Talz- Agreed, but I'd still bump his HP up to 100. He'll die too fast as is.

Techno Union- True, but to be a commando you'd have to be able to survive a battle.

Well, .....

The Chiss Rogue - I'm actually more included to dump Parry ... he's got a blaster besides the blade, and while the blade is nice, I'm more inclined to believe the piece will be used as a ranged piece and not melee ....

Kota - I looked at the WOTC Kota, he has 23 D and 12 attack - if he's "slowed by age, I couldn't really give him 12 Attack, but I bumped him up to 21 D and up to 10 from 9 Attack ....

Talz - Since so many Jedi are below 100, I say leave him and let him die young RollEyes ..... must be the residual annoyance at bumping into 25 Talz last game .......

Techno Commando - Interestingly enough, from what I remember of WWII history, some commando units were treated more as suicide units, sacrificing themselves to get the objective. That's how I picture Sep commando's.

.... but speaking of under 100 pt Jedi, I've been redoing a few things .... I can't say more because I'd have to kill something ....

chiss- I know, but he's way too powerful with some CEs and dropping Parry wouldn't help that much for the reasons you mentioned.

Kota- The WotC was just the vessel for that Force Repulse 5, I'm not sure I'd use him as a definitive character representation. +11 at least, +10 would be too low for a 35 point piece let alone 46 point.

Talz- Touche. BigGrin

Techno Commando- Yeah, I know what units you mean. Fair point, and an interesting perspective on the Seps!

Honestly I'd be up for hearing spoilers if you kill a blade of grass. Tongue
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:19:06 PM

corranhorn wrote:

chiss- I know, but he's way too powerful with some CEs and dropping Parry wouldn't help that much for the reasons you mentioned.

Kota- The WotC was just the vessel for that Force Repulse 5, I'm not sure I'd use him as a definitive character representation. +11 at least, +10 would be too low for a 35 point piece let alone 46 point.

Talz- Touche. BigGrin

Techno Commando- Yeah, I know what units you mean. Fair point, and an interesting perspective on the Seps!

I'll have to think about the Chiss some more .............. he Could get Evade from the BBSV .......

Kota - I still don't see him as an offensive piece, he's a commander that Can defend himself; he still has his LtSaber Defense and he Does have Force Push 2 - not what he once was but an old general doesn't lead from the front.

Welll .... you've killed some greenery ..... so .... be it on your head ..... two words

Shadowport

Council

Peace BlooMilk
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:25:11 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

Talz- Touche. BigGrin

I'll have to think about the Chiss some more .............. he Could get Evade from the BBSV .......

Kota - I still don't see him as an offensive piece, he's a commander that Can defend himself; he still has his LtSaber Defense and he Does have Force Push 2 - not what he once was but an old general doesn't lead from the front.

Welll .... you've killed some greenery ..... so .... be it on your head ..... two words

Shadowport

Council

Peace BlooMilk

Chiss- And he can get Force Renewal 1, Accurate Shot, Super Stealth, etc from similarly low cost commanders but that dosen't necessarily mean that he should have those SAs to start with.

Kota- I do understand that, but to be able to defend himself he needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with enemy pieces that come after him, even if it's only for one or two rounds, and with a +10 I just don't see that happening in a lot of cases.

Are "Shadowport" and "Council" connected to each? I hope so! Woot
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:17:41 PM

corranhorn wrote:

Chiss- And he can get Force Renewal 1, Accurate Shot, Super Stealth, etc from similarly low cost commanders but that dosen't necessarily mean that he should have those SAs to start with.

Kota- I do understand that, but to be able to defend himself he needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with enemy pieces that come after him, even if it's only for one or two rounds, and with a +10 I just don't see that happening in a lot of cases.

Are "Shadowport" and "Council" connected to each? I hope so! Woot

Chiss - This is starting to sound like a discussion I had with Gwek 3-4 years ago ..... I may cave in slightly .... I'm thinking ........

Kota - If it comes down to counting on Kota to beat Darth Pick a Name, you rode the wrong horse into battle to begin with; I'm comparing him to Lord Hoth (an older General) and Master Yoda (Good defensively but other than a +14, he's not much offensively (and he's fikkin YODA) wheras Kota's only a +10 but also has Force Push and if I stockpiles up som points he can Push often ...

Shadowport and Council are two different words ...... Relax! BigGrin
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:27:20 PM

Kota- it's not about having him face down enemy beats solo, but given his abilities as a warrior Kota should at least be able to put up a decent fight. With Lord Hoth, the +10 Attack was widely thought too low (just look at the comments on his stats). In regards to Master Yoda, he's really more of a meta piece, in that he's more about boosting his faction competitively thhan actually being a completely accurate character representation (not that there's anything wrong with that, despite what I may have said about Coleman Trebor that was never my point) but even besides that there's the simple fact that a 44-point Yoda will never be the squirrell-jumping lightsaber combat master that we see.

There go my dreams of a Hosk Trey'lya-led Jedi Academy at Point Nadir...Crying
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:04:48 PM

corranhorn wrote:
Kota- it's not about having him face down enemy beats solo, but given his abilities as a warrior Kota should at least be able to put up a decent fight. With Lord Hoth, the +10 Attack was widely thought too low (just look at the comments on his stats). In regards to Master Yoda, he's really more of a meta piece, in that he's more about boosting his faction competitively thhan actually being a completely accurate character representation (not that there's anything wrong with that, despite what I may have said about Coleman Trebor that was never my point) but even besides that there's the simple fact that a 44-point Yoda will never be the squirrell-jumping lightsaber combat master that we see.

There go my dreams of a Hosk Trey'lya led Jedi Academy at Point Nadir...Crying

I'm going to "shelve" the Kota till tomorrow; I'm getting hungry .....

As far as Point Nadir .... that's where I got the idea for a shadowport. A generic one now, maybe a real Point Nadir some other time!
Darth Bantam
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 3:42:05 PM

surf, i love your cards. they are brilliant! but, im not a fan of the 'cartoon-like' look. do you do any with a more, 'movie' look to them? im not a fan of the silly blue sketch originals TBH but i would love to see your better take on the originals.
im very new to these forums so be gentle with me! ha ha.
the thing is, ive got a few minis without cards and im after some great cards to print off and i figure, your the best person to ask.
corranhorn
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 3:45:58 PM

Darth Bantam wrote:
surf, i love your cards. they are brilliant! but, im not a fan of the 'cartoon-like' look. do you do any with a more, 'movie' look to them? im not a fan of the silly blue sketch originals TBH but i would love to see your better take on the originals.
the thing is, ive got a few minis without cards and im after some great cards to print off and i figure, your the best person to ask.

I assume that he uses the "cartoon" look because he uses images he finds on the Internet for them and most are drawings. I'm all for seeing surf's take on the movie characters, though! ThumpUp

Edit: "I figure". Heheh.
Darth Bantam
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 3:51:11 PM

defo no disrespect to surf. his cards are awesome. its just my personal preference would be movie type images. not the sketched originals or the cartoon images.
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:21:47 AM

Darth Bantam wrote:
defo no disrespect to surf. his cards are awesome. its just my personal preference would be movie type images. not the sketched originals or the cartoon images.

I like photos too. Especially for Mace Windu and Grievous.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:58:51 AM

corranhorn wrote:
Darth Bantam wrote:

I assume that he uses the "cartoon" look because he uses images he finds on the Internet for them and most are drawings. I'm all for seeing surf's take on the movie characters, though! ThumpUp

Edit: "I figure". Heheh.

I actually like the drawings - more variety on poses, people and certainly aliens; and you're right, its whats out there so its what I use.

Darth Bantam wrote:

Well, WOTC used sketches, and I'm trying to imitate them; I have used a real photo on occassion if its the only pic I can find a full body shot of a particular character.
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:28:45 AM

From page 14...

I love the Baran Do Master! I'm always happy to see customs of non-Jedi/non-Sith Force traditions. ThumbsUp I need to try my hand at some of them soon.
Small-Time Thief is a cool idea, and the rest of the Chadra-Fan looks good too.
Chevin Slaver is nice; what exactly do you mean by "becomes a Slave"?
Esomian Brute/ Simpleminded is great! Top notch work there!
Gossam Thug is pretty undercosted, I'd drop down to regular Cunning Attack and bump up the cost to 6.

surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 10:17:17 AM

corranhorn wrote:
From page 14...

I love the Baran Do Master! I'm always happy to see customs of non-Jedi/non-Sith Force traditions. ThumbsUp I need to try my hand at some of them soon.
Small-Time Thief is a cool idea, and the rest of the Chadra-Fan looks good too.
Chevin Slaver is nice; what exactly do you mean by "becomes a Slave"?
Esomian Brute/ Simpleminded is great! Top notch work there!
Gossam Thug is pretty undercosted, I'd drop down to regular Cunning Attack and bump up the cost to 6.

Thanks for the comments/compliments.

"Slave" is a character I made; basically a useless piece of fodder .....

Gossum - costing Anything below 8 is hit or miss; the +20 may have been extreme. I could see 5-6 pts.

I have too many pieces I'm thinking about. Indecision seems to have hit me .... maybe by the end of the weekend.
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 12:48:18 PM

Good, I'm almost out of card bunches to look over! Scared
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 5:50:49 PM

corranhorn wrote:

Well, so much for getting it done this weekend Smile Life happens, but as a bonus, I've got 30 cards done and I'm just editing them to get them ready for Photobucket. .... maybe by Wednesday.

PS - While half are Fringe, I've got at least 1-2 pieces for 8 other factions BlooMilk

Peace
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 6:34:20 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

Well, so much for getting it done this weekend Smile Life happens, but as a bonus, I've got 30 cards done and I'm just editing them to get them ready for Photobucket. .... maybe by Wednesday.

PS - While half are Fringe, I've got at least 1-2 pieces for 8 other factions BlooMilk

Peace

Oooh, it'll give me something to look at on my birthday! Heart day.
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 8:11:40 PM

Ok, so Valentine’s Day has come and gone and just like everybody else, you gotta keep the wife/friend happy and of course I’ve been sidetracked. Now back to the cards ….
I’ve collected a lot of material the last month or two and the Clone Wras TV show is always a good place to find material, not to mention the SW books & comics that come out. Most of these pics are new with just 2-3 I’ve had for more than a few months. I’ve been toying with a sub-faction centered around generic Shadowports and I teased Corran with the word “Council.” I’m sure his imagination got the better of him but I was thinking along the lines of Jedi High Council and specifically everybody on the last Council has gotten updated cards except two …
I’ve got somebody from every faction except the Vong this time, and I hope some interesting pieces and ideas. Comments from one and all and yes, even you lurking RPG’ers, are always welcome. To keep it simple, in alpha order ….

Bivall Bureaucrat Somehow a bureaucratic fool in the middle of a battlefield amuses me; wondering if his usefulness is balanced well enough with the silliness to make him worth using. We shall see ……

Bothan Intel Coordinator Well, the Bothan Spy is one of the oldest pieces, and Somebody had to be the coordinator; also wanted to try to make the Bothan Spy’s more usefull.

Givin Navigator A good Navigator should be able to maneuver around a battlefield, so Mobile should be useful, and every Pilot should have a good Navigator.

Healing Crystals of Fire I bumped into these while researching the different branches of the Jedi Order. An interesting idea …..

Iridonian Hunter I bumped into this pic around Xmas. I was a great pic and I wanted to use it for my next set …. Shows you how far ahead the cards are from the actual finding of the pics…

Ishi Tib Master Tech Not sure why I made him Sith; possibly the evil looking gleam in his eyes; but hey, why can’t Sith have good Techs?

Jedi Agricorps Worker One of the reasons why I was researching the Order. Many of Palpatines Dark Jedi came from their ranks; they must have had Some decent Force users among them. Not as cheap as a Youngling, but still cheap for Jedi fodder.

Jedi Hermit An idea I stole from the card game; someone like the old Obi-Wan, a little out of practice with the Lightsaber, with enough Umph to push bothersome animals or smallminded beings away. Dangerous, yet harmless if you don’t go near him.

Jedi Master Agen Kolar Now here's an interesting piece. Agen Kolar got Two mini's waaay back in the beginning of the WOTC run ... yet neither were great; one was an offensive piece, the other a defensive piece. Here was a guy that was good enough to be one of the three Mace took to face off against Palpatine; Now he must've been a stud ... yet everybody else on the last High Council had been updated so I thought why not Kolar. At first I was thinking why not just combine what the two outdated pieces had in the way of SA's and FP's, but I thought he deserved better ... and this is what I came up with ....

Jedi Master Stass Allie Stass Allie was in the same boat. an early but outdated piece. She deserved better being a High Council member so here she is updated.

Lannik Assassin He looks like a nasty s.o.b. and looks like the kind of killer the Imps would use.

Mandalorian Munitions Quartermaster I've always thought the Mando Quartermaster was misnamed. A quartermaster is basically a supply guy and the WOTC quartermaster didn't "supply" anything to anybody.

Nagai Wanderer Well I've actually had this pic around but was never sure what to do with it, but here he is ... hey gotta have cheap fodder.

Ordnance Depot Mechanic I'm fascinated by the Ordinance Depots, or Ords of the Old Republic ... and I thought they must have some interesting techs working there.

Pantoran Master Gunner I just wanted to create a Pantoran and I was thinking about using the Gunner description ......

Pistoeka Buzz Droid This pic popped up about a month ago and while I've thought about making this piece for awhile, this was the first decent pic I've seen. The SA's seemed to fit.

Pyke Syndicate Thug I think I'm smelling a Shadow Collective sub-faction coming on.

Quarren Chemist A piece I sorta cobbled together. A strange idea, but I liked the pic so ...

R1 Astromech Droid Koba actually asked for thia like a year ago and it kept getting pushed to the backburner.

Roonan Co-Pilot With all these Pilots and Navigators, I figured we needed an honest to god Co-Pilot.

Shadowport Dock Chief The first of the Shadowport pieces in my new sub-faction. I'm wondering because he has some interesting abilities, if he should be more like 15-16 pts or if 13 pts is about right .....

Shadowport Smuggler He could be rather tough with Advantageous Cover.

Shae Koda, Je'daii Journeyer A character from the Dawn of the Jedi comics using the Je'daii Faction card I made ....

Sith Adept Not quite a full blown Dark Lord, but a nasty Sith nontheless.

Skahtul, Barabel Bounty Hunter This was actually a tough pic to make. It was B&W originally, I tried to "Color" but didn't like how it turned it so I Shaded it work. I thought it came out not bad at all.

Squib Prankster I suspect this guy is going to be a royal pain with this set of SA's.

Swokes Swokes Undercity Dweller Embrace of Pain seems to fit Swokes Swokes.

Twi'Lek Bounty Hunter I liked the pic but otherwise he's a rather generic BH. Still, have we had a Twi'Lek BH yet?

Utai Shadowport Guard Another Shadowport piece. Although I think I could've cleaned up the pics toyish look, I still love the general of this guy, and I gave him some interesting SA's.

Wookie Commando I never liked the WOTC Wookie Commando; they could've done so much more with him ... and the New Republic doesn't have a single commando that Garm doesn't bring in.

Well, I hope everybody likes these. This is a lot to digest, but I hope there're some interesting things and ideas here. Comments always welcome, good or bad. BigGrin

Peace BlooMilk
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:37:22 AM

@Surf!
Whoa, you're on fire here! BigGrin This is another great set, theres something here for everyone. All the different factions and subfactions get a little something; what Im most impressed by are the Agricorp Jedi, the sith hand (another piece that makes the Sith Lord, Dark Jedi Master and Dark Jedi pieces obsolete) the Redo of Agen Kolar/Eeth Koth and finally an official R1 droid!
This valentines is one for the history books, well on the custom stat card front anyhow.

On the custom miniatures front, Ive found a disney "Oogie Boogie" miniature roughly in scale with WotC minis to try customising into a Swokes Swokes when I can find some free time. Its a rare XMAS ornament, might be able to find it on Ebay or Amazon.

Ive had a thought regarding future civilian miniatures; could you make silhouetted stat cards for some generic bystanders? Im thinking I'll trace out onto clear acrylic/plastics the 'mugshot' silhouette of various species, and use them as stand-ins/objective markers in games.
The technique works well for battle droids and clone trooper minis: I use cut out acrylic to boost the numbers of droids and clones BigGrin
corranhorn
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:32:12 AM

Wow, lots of goodies to look through! Woot

I love the SAs on the Bivall Bureaucrat! Might want to limit his CE to one follower, though-it's CRAZY as is! Scared
Nice work with the Bothan Coorfdiantor! Good to see oldies getting some love.
I think the Givin needs a price bump-Accurate and Mobile are too strong to have as a rangeless CE on a 12-point non-Unique. Pilots are already top tier.
Healing Crystals of Fire are very cool! Looking forward to using them with Cade!
That Ishi Tib looks very evil! Cool piece.
Like the Agricorps guys! Any chance you're planning on doing some guys from the other Jedi Corps?
Jedi Hermit is awesme-great idea and great piece! Two suggestions-Maybe an Atk bump to +9? +7 is way tooo low, 9 is low enough to get your point across. Also, I think he'd be better with FR# instead of 4; with F2FR1 he won't be using those cost cost powers very often.
I like your Agen Kolar! He was supposed to be pretty good with a lightsaber, it's good to see some justice for him. He might be a tad overcosted, though.
Stass Allie is nice too! She also might be a bit overocsted, though.
Lannik Assassin is great, well done! ThumpUp
Re-WotC Quartermaster: I think his CE was suppoed to represent him giving out/upgrading gear. I vlike your take on the QM too!
BUZZ DROIDS! I LOVE those things, but they never show up anywhere besides RotS! ThumbsUp Great piece, might need an Atk value though so he'll hit with MC.
Caption for the Quarren Chemist's pic-"Drink your Ovaltine!"
I think the R1 should cost a bit less-as is, there's no real reason to take him.
Shadowport Dock Cheif is awesome! Very flavorful piece! ThumpUp
I agree, that Shadowport Smuggler looks like a rough customer with AdvCov.
Aw, now Farsight is just too cool! Love it.
"Prankster" seems like a good fit for that Squib. BigGrin
EoP does seem good for the Swokes Swokes-those guys creep me out.
Wookiee Commando is a cool piece. Great choice for an NR commando.

Great bunch here!