RegisterDonateLogin

Can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:26:43 AM
Groups: Member

It's been a while since I've done a booster pull, they're always fun. Which sets are you using?
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:46:28 AM

corranhorn wrote:
It's been a while since I've done a booster pull, they're always fun. Which sets are you using?

We always do the latest one, so "Galactic Heroes" it is; that's also when we get our new cards from the point man.
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:54:27 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

We always do the latest one, so "Galactic Heroes" it is; that's also when we get our new cards from the point man.

You guys using the official proxies or did someone make a ton of customs? BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:53:15 PM

corranhorn wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

You guys using the official proxies or did someone make a ton of customs? BigGrin

I stopped making mini's summer of 2011; too many nicks from the X-Acto gave me the hint Cool

Proxies it is for me at least; I might paint again if I ever get bored of making cards Scared
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:57:00 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

I stopped making mini's summer of 2011; too many nicks from the X-Acto gave me the hint Cool

Proxies it is for me at least; I might paint again if I ever get bored of making cards Scared

Ah, that's too bad. If you ever get the chance you really should upload pics of all your customs! BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:15:54 PM

corranhorn wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

Ah, that's too bad. If you ever get the chance you really should upload pics of all your customs! BigGrin

now THAT would be almost as difficult as me uploading all my picks; I probably made a few hundred mini's; everything from just simple repaints to arm/leg/head swaps. You can see some of my mini's in my terrain pics (wherever they are.)
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:42:44 PM

Well, I seem to have come out of hibernation; I've had a creative urge lately and am polishing off my latest set. I'll probably get it out late saturday/sometime sunday. I've got a weekend with the wife and as evrybody knows, "Happy Wife, Happy Life."

Hint - Every factions represented.
corranhorn
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 5:37:29 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Well, I seem to have come out of hibernation; I've had a creative urge lately and am polishing off my latest set. I'll probably get it out late saturday/sometime sunday. I've got a wwekend with the wife and as evrybody knows, "Happy Wife, Happy Life."

Hint - Everybody factions represented.

ThumpUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:58:43 PM

Well life tends to get in the way, and of course sometimes the mental juices just ain't flowing. But here's the new set. I've also read the new Jax Pavan book and as usual, a good SW book gives me new ideas. Comments are always appreciated; don't make me get mean .... Cool

In alpha order, submitted for your approval, as we used to say in the Twilight Zone ....

Adarian Enforcer Ok admittedly he's nothing special other than being a new species ...

Amanin Freedom Fighter Personally I always thought they should be Rebels.

Black Sun Foot Soldier Unusual only in that they're Falleen non-unique soldiers.

C-3PO, Human-Cyborg Relations R2 has Rebel and Republic versions; C-3PO is only a Rebel, so why not? Clumsy and disruptive seem appropriate.

Coruscant Sector Prefect Idea from the latest Jax book; I haven't figured out an SA to link him to Whiplash yet, but I'm working on it.

Death Watch Bomber An idea I got from watching a Clone Wars episode.

Death Watch Super Commando Ditto on watching the Clone Wars ....

Duros Hardened Rogue I liked the pic, and he seemed like a hard case.

Falleen Black Sun Vigo I wanted to recreate the Falleen Vigo from the Clone Wars, keep his flavor but not make him unique; not sure how close I came ...

Guineo Worker Just an idea I got from a pic .....

Korriban Tomb Raider Sort of the opposite of the Jedi Archaeologist; a sneaky self serving type.

Mandalorian Demolitions Expert Not sure where this came from, idea-wise, but it popped into my head and seemed an interesting idea.

Nelvaanian Jedi Knight A new Jedi species; tried to keep him close to his savage background.

Nosaurian Freedom Fighter Seemed he should be related to Bomo; a Sep who may have turned Rebel.

Ortolan Militia Just a grunt, but hey, he's Ortolan! ThumbsUp

Pyke Underboss An addition to last month's Pyke grunts.

Quermian Combat Instructor The Quermians were supposedly good close quarters fighters; an idea for an instructor.

Shaak Ti, Master of the Force I played the Unleashed version a month ago; she was a good stick but useless at range. I think she was a better/more dangerous Master than that. My version, and trying not to make her too close to either the WOTC versions but more in keeping with what Wook says about her. I hope I've come close.

Shadowport Cantina Owner Inspired by Wuher; just some ideas a proprietress of a cantina might say to rowdy customers.

T'surr Mercenary A rare T'Surr, and a differnt type of grunt. Could be an interesting piece with the Ithorian Commander.

Veteran Spacer Door Fuse is sort of the opposite of Door Gimmick, except you need a character with the Repair SA to counter it; an idea.

Whiplash Coordinator An idea from the Jax book. I'm hoping I worded the Something's Not Right ability correctly and I hope the CE proves interesting.

Whiplash Operative .... and another Whiplash character from the Jax novel.

Yuuzhan Vong Adolescent ... a young Vong grunt; thought about giving him Fire Jelly. Should I have or just keep him simple and leave well enough alone?

Zygerrian Trader An idea I got while reading Wook; the Jedi put them out of business in the past and she would have been someone fighting specifically against Jedi

While, I have no idea if you'll like these. I personally thought there were some interesting ideas here. As always, I look forward to hearing everyone's comments, as usual, good or bad.

Peace. BlooMilk
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:46:03 AM

Neat! A real mixed bag, loads of fringers;
the standouts being for me, the Duros Mercenary and Shaak Ti! BigGrin
Your 3PO makes complete sense: why was there not an official one earlier? hahaha

The mandalorians/death watch are getting pretty beefy now: its almost enough diversity to re-create the battle of galidraan BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 7:38:59 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Neat! A real mixed bag, loads of fringers;
the standouts being for me, the Duros Mercenary and Shaak Ti! BigGrin
Your 3PO makes complete sense: why was there not an official one earlier? hahaha

The mandalorians/death watch are getting pretty beefy now: its almost enough diversity to re-create the battle of galidraan BigGrin

A mixed bag indeed; I tried to spread the love around. I'm amused by C-3PO. Glad you liked the Duros and Shaak. Do you think the Cantina Owner and The Hardened Spacers Door Fuse abillity are too broken?
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:27:36 AM

Goodies! BigGrin

i like the Amanin Freedom Fighter, nice flavor! ThumpUp
I love the C-3P0, perfectly captures Goldenrod! ThumbsUp
That Coruscant Sector Chief is pretty cool, I might make him Unique with a CE like that but considering all the limitations you have probably won't be a problem.
Is it just me or does the Duros Hardened Rogue's face look like Squidward? Blink
Given how good the Falleen BSV's CE is, I would make him Unique.
The Korriban Tomb Raider is great, perfect counterpart for the Jedi Archaeologist! ThumpUp
I really like the Nelvaanian Jedi, you might want to lower the cost a bit but otherwise nice job!
The Nosaurian Freedom Fighter is cool, perfect idea to have Reb affinity.
Love the Ortoloan Militia! I'd drop him to 5, though-Speed 4 is a big handicap.
I reeally like the Quermian Combat Instructor! ThumbsUp I think you could get away with turning that CE into an CE (Martial Arts Training?).
That Shaak Ti is fantastic! Great job with the character and llooks like a fun piece to run! I might up her cost a tad but that's trivial. Very nicely done! ThumpUp
Wow, another gem in that Shadowport Cantina Owner! Seriously, great piece. Feels just like the sort of person who'd be running a seedy dive. I especially like TIO! CE is spot-on too!
That T'Surr Merc is cool, he's like a mini Wookiee Elite Warrior! ThumpUp
I like the Veteran Spacer (Selkath! BigGrin ) The Door Fuse SA is a really cool idea, well done!
That Whiplash Coordinator is really nice, too! I love SNR and the CE! Did that Jax book just come out, or has it been out for a while?
I'd leave the little Vong alone-he's already got Evade and Swarm and he's only 4 points. Like an Evade-y Vong Ewok.
Zygerrian Hunter is a cool idea for a piece, I like it! ThumpUp

Btw, I don't really think the Cantina Owner's SAs or the Door Fuse SA are too broken.

Seriously, I think this is by far your best batch yet. Nothing in it that I think is too overpowered and so many things stand out as fantastic! ThumbsUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:08:37 PM

corranhorn wrote:
Goodies! BigGrin

i like the Amanin Freedom Fighter, nice flavor! ThumpUp
I love the C-3P0, perfectly captures Goldenrod! ThumbsUp
That Coruscant Sector Chief is pretty cool, I might make him Unique with a CE like that but considering all the limitations you have probably won't be a problem.
Is it just me or does the Duros Hardened Rogue's face look like Squidward? Blink
Given how good the Falleen BSV's CE is, I would make him Unique.
The Korriban Tomb Raider is great, perfect counterpart for the Jedi Archaeologist! ThumpUp
I really like the Nelvaanian Jedi, you might want to lower the cost a bit but otherwise nice job!
The Nosaurian Freedom Fighter is cool, perfect idea to have Reb affinity.
Love the Ortoloan Militia! I'd drop him to 5, though-Speed 4 is a big handicap.
I reeally like the Quermian Combat Instructor! ThumbsUp I think you could get away with turning that CE into an CE (Martial Arts Training?).
That Shaak Ti is fantastic! Great job with the character and llooks like a fun piece to run! I might up her cost a tad but that's trivial. Very nicely done! ThumpUp
Wow, another gem in that Shadowport Cantina Owner! Seriously, great piece. Feels just like the sort of person who'd be running a seedy dive. I especially like TIO! CE is spot-on too!
That T'Surr Merc is cool, he's like a mini Wookiee Elite Warrior! ThumpUp
I like the Veteran Spacer (Selkath! BigGrin ) The Door Fuse SA is a really cool idea, well done!
That Whiplash Coordinator is really nice, too! I love SNR and the CE! Did that Jax book just come out, or has it been out for a while?
I'd leave the little Vong alone-he's already got Evade and Swarm and he's only 4 points. Like an Evade-y Vong Ewok.
Zygerrian Hunter is a cool idea for a piece, I like it! ThumpUp

Btw, I don't really think the Cantina Owner's SAs or the Door Fuse SA are too broken.

Seriously, I think this is by far your best batch yet. Nothing in it that I think is too overpowered and so many things stand out as fantastic! ThumbsUp

First, thanks for the comments.

I had to look up who Squidward was; I'll take your word on that Huh
The Falleen BSV - is his CE that much different than the other Vigo's? I tried to make him comparable to them.
Nelvaanian Jedi - I actually Lowered his cost to what it was. My gut said 28 but the cost calc said 39.
Ortolan - I could do 4 ...
Whiplash - the Jax Book "Last Jedi" came out at the end of February.

Thanks for the ThumpUp on the other pieces. I've been closely following the discussion on text amounts and how many SA/FP's is too many in the General thread. It's a challenge to keep things simple yet interesting and Not getting carried away with too many new abilities, yet the new abilities are what make some of the new cards more interesting.
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:15:33 PM

You've never seen an episode of Spongebob? Scared

I think the FBSV's CE is different-the others, aside from the Dug, all depend on the people having an SA (besides Black Sn). It's not that much of a disparity, but if you're going off a Unique guy it might be better.
Ortolan-Sounds good!

Yeah, I feel like simplicity is a good thing, but I don't want too much of a backlash against complexity to happen. The new Caedus with his SBM is one of my favorite pieces, ever.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:20:56 PM

corranhorn wrote:

I think the FBSV's CE is different-the others, aside from the Dug, all depend on the people having an SA (besides Black Sn). It's not that much of a disparity, but if you're going off a Unique guy it might be better.
Ortolan-Sounds good!

Yeah, I feel like simplicity is a good thing, but I don't want too much of a backlash against complexity to happen. The new Caedus with his SBM is one of my favorite pieces, ever.

Spongebob - Waaaay after my time .....

I could see the Fallen being unique, but then I might as well actually use his name rather than FBSV ...

The Caedus SBM (which is a piece I drew in my booster pull) looks Very interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it next saturday; nothing like playtesting a new toy!
corranhorn
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:23:21 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

Ortolan-Sounds good!

I could see the Fallen being unique, but then I might as well actually use his name rather than FBSV ...

The Caedus SBM (which is a piece I drew in my booster pull) looks Very interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it next saturday; nothing like playtesting a new toy!

Spongebob- No kids/grandkids that watched it? Scared

Falleen-Actually, I just assumed that you would. Blushing

Caedus-Lucky you! I'll bet ou'll do fairly well with him in your squad.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:21:04 AM

corranhorn wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

Ortolan-Sounds good!

Spongebob- No kids/grandkids that watched it? Scared

Falleen-Actually, I just assumed that you would. Blushing

Caedus-Lucky you! I'll bet ou'll do fairly well with him in your squad.

Kids spent time outside, not watching the Tube; grandkids still too young RollEyes

Still thinking on Falleen .....

Caedus; still trying to think on how I can use his abilities; looking interesting and being useful hopefully aren't incompatible. He's my only really good piece and I've got little else except nondescript gunners and
sticks. ThumbDown

On a side note, I see this set went down as fast as the others; 300 hits and two comments RollEyes Oh well, back to the drawing boards ...... No Bloo Milk
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:34:28 AM

Believe me, Caedus is as good as he he is interesting. Nasty piece that messes up your opponent bigtime. Try to keep him out of the LOS of big shooters and you should be fine.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:10:42 AM

Well, Caedus was interesting, but ultimetly I went 1-2.

My Big Three were Caedus, Kira Crason, and the Smuggler. Not enough firepower and the Sticks were only as good as my rolls (inconsistant.)

Undeterred, I plan on starting my next set next weekend. While there was some interest, apparently there wasn't That much and I again approach the drawing board.
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:25:29 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Well, Caedus was interesting, but ultimetly I went 1-2.

My Big Three were Caedus, Kira Crason, and the Smuggler. Not enough firepower and the Sticks were only as good as my rolls (inconsistant.)

Ah, that's too bad. I don't have a very high opinon of the Smuggler, especially in Sealed.

Quote:

Undeterred, I plan on starting my next set next weekend. While there was some interest, apparently there wasn't That much and I again approach the drawing board.

I'm still here! BigGrin