RegisterDonateLogin

Recommended by 2 out of 5 Tusken Raiders.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 1:06:11 PM
Groups: Member

I like the Mando Vet and the Vong Scout! They're nice pieces, and I agree, the Mandalorian faction is running out of material for non-Uniques, which is a shame...

I also like Daala. It's cool seeing her in the New Republic, and the Mando affinity is nice.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 1:22:28 PM

SignerJ wrote:
I like the Mando Vet and the Vong Scout! They're nice pieces, and I agree, the Mandalorian faction is running out of material for non-Uniques, which is a shame...

I also like Daala. It's cool seeing her in the New Republic, and the Mando affinity is nice.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I've noticed even the V-Sets are starting to do more unique's in certain factions and some factions are inherently limited. Only so many Droid types for Seps, generic clone/jedi for Republic etc. I've tried using different military job designations and concentrated on living Seps, Sith, OR trooper types etc. because there were thousands of worlds/militaries that contributed; even the Vong are being run out more often as Unique's.

Daala I thought needed a NR piece. Is she costed about right? I wonder ....
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 4:25:13 PM

we've got a lot of stuff here,
it's like X-mas has come early this year. BigGrin

standouts for me would have to be:
jawa sniper (elegant balance there),
Han Solo, Imperial Cadet (sweet, in anticipating the Han Solo movie and the Khyber Crystal movie to be made later... folks who're not so much into the alt continuity of SW:VII, there's still stuff to be interested in)
Kubaz Operative - situationally awesome in some Black Sun and subfaction all fringe squads, a neat mini concept too that will see some DUST and Tannhauser figures make the move into SWMinis.
Nemoidian Subaltern - will make for a great detachment leader in games of 500pts, where Seps can field more than a droid swarm. Will also help Alto Stratus and the darkside acolytes too, with the Nimbus Commando detachment. Neat stuff!
Rogue Killer - a <5pt mop up piece, that'll be fun to play vs Warev Ririp's Zombie sets
Veteran Mando - another great piece to recreate the battle of galidraan, elegant and simple.

All in all, a lot of options in this set.
Thanks surf, and there's a few ideas there to motivate making more of those Kogane sketches and imyukbry98s 'Hayao Miyazaki esque/McQuarrie esque" sketches into card.
I'm also liking the idea to make even more variety of alien species, official and fan,
to add to the array of some life in the SWMinis universe.
You've made a lot of aliens, and long may that continue.

It makes a lot of sense to leave some cyborg or robot to the side momentarily,
as many other fan also add to the array of robot
that said - robot are a major drawcard about StarWars, and there can never be too many robot. BigGrin
(at the risk of being Monty Python esque, or as Atkinson sketch in "Not the 9'Oclock News" with too many toilet...)

thanks for sharing, Surf. BlooMilk
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 6:13:06 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
we've got a lot of stuff here,
it's like X-mas has come early this year. BigGrin

standouts for me would have to be:
jawa sniper (elegant balance there),
Han Solo, Imperial Cadet (sweet, in anticipating the Han Solo movie and the Khyber Crystal movie to be made later... folks who're not so much into the alt continuity of SW:VII, there's still stuff to be interested in)
Kubaz Operative - situationally awesome in some Black Sun and subfaction all fringe squads, a neat mini concept too that will see some DUST and Tannhauser figures make the move into SWMinis.
Nemoidian Subaltern - will make for a great detachment leader in games of 500pts, where Seps can field more than a droid swarm. Will also help Alto Stratus and the darkside acolytes too, with the Nimbus Commando detachment. Neat stuff!
Rogue Killer - a <5pt mop up piece, that'll be fun to play vs Warev Ririp's Zombie sets
Veteran Mando - another great piece to recreate the battle of galidraan, elegant and simple.

All in all, a lot of options in this set.
Thanks surf, and there's a few ideas there to motivate making more of those Kogane sketches and imyukbry98s 'Hayao Miyazaki esque/McQuarrie esque" sketches into card.
I'm also liking the idea to make even more variety of alien species, official and fan,
to add to the array of some life in the SWMinis universe.
You've made a lot of aliens, and long may that continue.

It makes a lot of sense to leave some cyborg or robot to the side momentarily,
as many other fan also add to the array of robot
that said - robot are a major drawcard about StarWars, and there can never be too many robot. BigGrin
(at the risk of being Monty Python esque, or as Atkinson sketch in "Not the 9'Oclock News" with too many toilet...)

thanks for sharing, Surf. BlooMilk

Well, you liked 6 out of the 12 to comment on ThumpUp

Don't know about "elegant" but I've always tried for balanced and simplicity when doing my low point non-uniques so I must still be on target. I thought Han as a cadet was an interesting idea. I also particularly liked the Subaltern and the Mando Vet came out.

In regards to you and your droids, there is this "1" droid I just may Have to use next set; I like the pic too much to leave behind Koba.

Cheers.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:27:06 PM

the other 6 are, in fairness, also awesome -
though, not collecting New Republic, Vong, Rebels, imperials, TOR, Mandos,
I tend not to comment as much on those.
Luckily there's many fans of those factions, so it'd be great to hear their thoughts.
I'm more a Clone Wars/Rise of the Empire era fan BigGrin

Cadet Han would be a lot of fun to play in some 100pt quick games.
and we can use the "han in stormtrooper armor" mini as a proxy - that's foresight.
In recent play-testing, we found him to be costed spot-on, or slightly undercosted by 2-3 pts
(feedback from players in 100pt games, and they wanted to run swarms, so take that with the appropriate bag of poolsalt)

And, thanks for thinking of robot fans,
we can never have enough fodder to send into battle. BigGrin
(can I request a PETMAN 7 through 9, and a JVT 17iii for "robots of the third global war" set?)
BigGrin

Will there ever be a 'figures from history' set?
or, is that as 'on the nose' as the deity cards concept?
I've been trying to think of abilities and costing,
as a friend of mine, she has an uncanny ability to sketch.
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2015 8:36:31 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
the other 6 are, in fairness, also awesome -
though, not collecting New Republic, Vong, Rebels, imperials, TOR, Mandos,
I tend not to comment as much on those.
Luckily there's many fans of those factions, so it'd be great to hear their thoughts.
I'm more a Clone Wars/Rise of the Empire era fan BigGrin

Cadet Han would be a lot of fun to play in some 100pt quick games.
and we can use the "han in stormtrooper armor" mini as a proxy - that's foresight.
In recent play-testing, we found him to be costed spot-on, or slightly undercosted by 2-3 pts
(feedback from players in 100pt games, and they wanted to run swarms, so take that with the appropriate bag of poolsalt)

And, thanks for thinking of robot fans,
we can never have enough fodder to send into battle. BigGrin
(can I request a PETMAN 7 through 9, and a JVT 17iii for "robots of the third global war" set?)
BigGrin

Will there ever be a 'figures from history' set?
or, is that as 'on the nose' as the deity cards concept?
I've been trying to think of abilities and costing,
as a friend of mine, she has an uncanny ability to sketch.

.....well, lets see where to start (sorry, grades were due this week) ....

* Swarms with Han, cadet??

* I had to look up what a PETMAN was (and I'm still not sure ...) so I'm probably Not going there Scared

* I've seen what some people have tried to do with non SW personalities and the thought makes me Scared Scared Scared

On the bright side I've seen so many "alien" SW aliens I was thinking of making a "Micro-Mini set of 6-8 cards just on them .... so use whatever table or "pool" salt you want in a few days ....

Cheers

BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2015 10:33:28 PM

sweet, more aliens... excellent.
The more aliens, the better BigGrin

in terms of the interim feedback from locals on the Han, Imperial Cadet mini -
the opponents of the squad with Han, Imperial Cadet, felt that Han, Imperial Cadet,
was undercosted, owing to the fact that the Non Imperial players wanted to run 100pt swarms against Han.
A swarm of Rebel troopers, or Ewok Swarm, Geonosian Drone Swarm etc...
Their feedback, might be significantly biased because of those assumptions/constraints when playtesting BigGrin
Han Solo, Imp Cadet,
Jagged Fel,
Black Sun Vigo,
2 Imp Pilots
I think that was a very 'punchy' squad.

turning briefly to things robotic;
You've looked into PETMAN? theres quite a few similar projects
It's odd how life imitates art huh? BigGrin

Though, I digress;
turning to non-SWMs styled things,
I was hoping for a few figures of history to accompany a bunch of WarGames Factory's miniatures
(part of me wants to recreate "Pride and Prejudice... and Zombies" or "Abraham Lincoln: Zombie Slayer") BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:45:00 AM

…. So lately I’ve been bumping into all kinds of interesting new aliens and of course I took a few ideas from my “Underrepresented” thread and I said to myself “The V-Setters have bonus, mini releases, why can’t I?” Now, I’ve actually done a few of these alien species before but there are also 4 brand-new never-before done species plus an amusing tidbit of an oddity …. Ah if only I could get more than one or two comments; I seem to have even more lurkers than normal lately!
I sincerely hope you all enjoy this and are amused to the point of commentary; good comments or criticism, either way will let me know how I’m doing ….. BigGrin

Gree Wanderer One of the ancient species, they were very tech savvy. It was hard figuring out what toys to give him yet not make him too powerful!

Kwa Nomad Another of the ancient species; we have them to thank for the Rakata. They’re a curious mix of high tech (at one time) and Force sensitivity. I tried to go with what Wook said about their abilities and extrapolated from there.

Nerf Herder Totally for my own amusement. Gotta have fun where you can find it …..

Order of Shasa Master While I’ve done a handful of Selkath (one of my favorite aliens) I never noticed the Shasa in my past Selkath research …. I thought this might be interesting ….

Paaerduag Trader Purely as a response to the “Underrepresented Species” thread, they’re really not much use as fighters from what I’ve read, but hey, they Trade so what not make a Jack of All Traders, so to speak.

Rakatan Mystic Since I’d already included a couple of the Ancient species, why not … and no, I never played the games with them so I’m guessing/extrapolating here …..

Revwien Practitioner of Tiya Not too many Revwien pics out there. A curious mix of abilities; I would’ve rather he Not have the gun, but I didn’t feel like erasing it and left it for fun, but it’s technically, sorta out of character I think …..

Swokes Swokes Cantina Brawler I’ve actually done a few of these curious creatures, but a Cantina Brawler seemed appropriate here. Just add him to my “Cantina” sub-faction.

Many were for amusements sake, but I hope people find Something interesting here! Keep those comments coming!

Cheers,

Surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 6:03:42 PM

Cool!
It's a fringe bonanza;
nerf herder,
revwien,
paaerduag,
swokeswokes, neat!
they're pretty balanced and accurately costed,
and look like fun.

Kwa Nomad and Gree Wanderer seem a little undercosted for what they bring to the table,
but are neat looking concepts! BigGrin

Outstanding mentions for the two TOR/KOTOR stars:
the Selkath judicial knight,
and the Rakatan Mystic - brutality is a nice conditional check.

I'm looking forward to seeing more aliens from you, Surf.
These were awesome -- thanks for sharing.
(we'll get some more folks to stop by and leave a comment one of these days:
I saw 5 guests and myself as users browsing the topic when I was writing this hehe)
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 6:13:34 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Cool!
It's a fringe bonanza;
nerf herder,
revwien,
paaerduag,
swokeswokes, neat!
they're pretty balanced and accurately costed,
and look like fun.

Kwa Nomad and Gree Wanderer seem a little undercosted for what they bring to the table,
but are neat looking concepts! BigGrin

Outstanding mentions for the two TOR/KOTOR stars:
the Selkath judicial knight,
and the Rakatan Mystic - brutality is a nice conditional check.

I'm looking forward to seeing more aliens from you, Surf.
These were awesome -- thanks for sharing.
(we'll get some more folks to stop by and leave a comment one of these days:
I saw 5 guests and myself as users browsing the topic when I was writing this hehe)

There's not much even known in Wook (the Holocron of All Knowledge) about the Gree and Less of the Kwa. I tried to make the Gree tech heavy and the Kwa is almost total extrapolation since almost nothing is known about them other than They're the ones that gave the Rakata the High Tech that ultimately led to the Infinite Empire ....

5 lurkers? I think I spotted 12 one day. I must be very popular somewhere in the world but I'll never know OMG

Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking of maybe doing a card or two a week instead of sets. Maybe less would get more comments .....
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:40:55 PM

indeed, I recall seeing as many as 20 visitors at the same time;
it's getting to the point where some approximate IPs at time would be interesting, even if only in the aggregate to get a sense of where folks are from
(such as, via google analytics). Folks can even send feedback other ways, like PM etc,
and I've gotta say - any kind of concrit or feedback helps BigGrin
It's so awesome to read feedback and see the ideas folks come up with

though I digress BigGrin
indeed, those are some rarer aliens - and the more aliens the better;
that's the awesome of scifi.
it can't always be only jedee and robots (awesome, awesome robots)
You're right about the scarcity of images for those species, even on DevArt or the SWRPG sketch database, they're rare.

Turning to frequency-
you've made literally 1300 odd cards, easily.
its awesome to see new cards, and whatever way works best for you, that's awesome.
A couple at a time, a 'booster', a 'miniset'; they're all awesome.
Its a good thing I'm a statcard addict, because I'm running out of physical space at the store or in home for the minis/models hehehe

I tend to release statcards as;
i) I think of them,
ii) the local gang has 'signed off' on a card after playtesting to a level of "yeah, this is fun, and it shouldn't lead to too many fights if other folks play using this with the combo's we've tried"
iii) other folks make a request and they're happy to have their card shared.

of course, real-world stuff can and will try to get in the way at any opportunity hehe
it's just awesome to see when inspiration strikes,
and for all the fun these stat cards have brought
thanks surf! BlooMilk
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:56:24 PM

Great job on Daala! I think you did a really good job all around on this one. Rival is pretty sweet and still allows for some force users which is interesting.

Ok Gevar looks like a chick haha but his stats are sweet. Only thing I would do is drop his cost down to 30-35 as he isn't too potent right now for his high cost.

For Han I think you can just give him normal internal strife as he is a softy at heart and would have turned regardless of Chewie

For Ric Olie I think you have to consider that Naboo pilots are already cheaper and crazy boosted. I would drop the rapport and instead give him a generic CE, maybe Camradirie to give Adi Gallia and Nym Pilot as well as giving allied pilots some sort of bonus.

Trade Spine is epic! But yeah should be a unique hahaha. Great job though and release more Uprising characters!

Veteran Mando fits quite well in the faction

I'll post more thoughts on the brand new cards when I get a chance too. Keep on with the great work
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:18:26 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
Great job on Daala! I think you did a really good job all around on this one. Rival is pretty sweet and still allows for some force users which is interesting.

Ok Gevar looks like a chick haha but his stats are sweet. Only thing I would do is drop his cost down to 30-35 as he isn't too potent right now for his high cost.

For Han I think you can just give him normal internal strife as he is a softy at heart and would have turned regardless of Chewie

For Ric Olie I think you have to consider that Naboo pilots are already cheaper and crazy boosted. I would drop the rapport and instead give him a generic CE, maybe Camradirie to give Adi Gallia and Nym Pilot as well as giving allied pilots some sort of bonus.

Trade Spine is epic! But yeah should be a unique hahaha. Great job though and release more Uprising characters!

Veteran Mando fits quite well in the faction

I'll post more thoughts on the brand new cards when I get a chance too. Keep on with the great work

Thanks for looking.

I've gotten several people saying Daala is pretty good. The blind chicken finding something strikes again!Cool

Gevar; actually he's "undercosted" according to my stat generator. It says he should be 52. I couldn't see that at all so I went down to 45. Something about having 8 abilities, they seem to jump exponentially ever 3-4 abilities. His base cost Without abilities or FP's was 26. ... and you're right, now that I look at him his pic does look feminine. He wasn't that girly on the full sized pic.

Han; I just thought he'd have to be Really motivated and Chewie would be the button to do it.

You may be right about Ollie. I never play Naboo pilots so I may have to change it up.

Thanks for the Trade Spine comment. Uprising has given me lots of pics; just have to learn a little more about Riley and everyone else.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:44:27 AM

So, while grading papers I realize I’m bored and need to expend energy in a fun way during breaks and since these cards have been sitting here I said why not, so here they are. Just when I think I’m dried out and done I come up with something new; whether or not they’re worth anything is up to whatever audience I have (otherwise the known as the Great Silent Majority!) But I digress, I hope there is something for everyone here. BigGrin

Advanced Commando Scout The pic is the thing here; it seemed like a natural for a recon type pic so this is what I came up with …..

Baragwin Whitescar Syndicate Enforcer Not much about the Whitescar Syndicate other than they were “affiliated” with the Imps. The pic is a colorized B&W experiment; the abilities seemed to fit the idea of a syndicate enforcer type.

Besalisk Enforcer He’s been sitting around for awhile and someone wanted a Besalisk; he’s simple but I think useful.

Corran Horn, Imperial Fugitive Now here’s an idea; Horn in-between his law enforcement and Jedi days. Whether I carried it out well or not is another thing, but its an interesting idea.

Cyborg Bounty Hunter I love this pic, a small sized droid bounty hunter; my wife said he’s cute, I said he’s useful.

Elite Clone Sniper Scout Saw the pic, liked it. Gave him single shot because I always thought snipers should’ve be multi-attack pieces.

Galactic Alliance Advance Scout The NR didn’t have a pathfinder type so here he is …..

Leonia Tavira, False Moff Can’t remember where I bumped into her but she seemed interesting. I hope this piece reflects her reasonably well. She was apparently untrustworthy, backstabbing and dangerous. Typical Imperial.

Mandalorian Desert Trooper What a concept, Mando’s that fight in all kinds of climates. I added the Camo ability to differentiate him from “regular” Mando’s.

Muun Intelligence Officer I’m actually rather proud of this piece and the Proprietary Intelligence ability. I don’t know if the execution of it is well enough written but I love the idea of a counter to the Tactics Broker (and the color quote says it all.)

Selkath Plenipotentiary I like this guy and he’s very busy with lots of interesting abilities, and the more I stared at him, the more I said he may be under-costed. I raised him from 12 to 16. Is that enough? He’s out there and vulnerable, but he can help do some real damage.

Tholothian Pirate Just a fun little pirate to add to the pirate subfaction.

Young Capture Beast As usual, I must apologize for my poor knowledge of the Vong. Having said that, I bumped into this guy while researching something else entirely. An adult Beast would be huge, so like the Krayt Dragon, I give you a Young version of this guy. I hope I’ve got his flavor about right …..

My usual collection of good, bad, and hopefully not Too many ugly pieces. Comments always appreciated. Enjoy,

Surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:23:16 PM

A fascinating array here.
I'd be pretty happy iff I'd bought into a minis set like this one, and this was what was inside the booster. BigGrin
The Baragwin Enforcer is a standout, as is the Cyborg Bounty Hunter
Corran Horn just feels a little undercosted somewhat, and a bit fragile (though, the mini reflects early Corran).

The Vong damage sponge is an interesting concept
as is a rebel commando speeder (it'll be interesting in Luke Commando squads for sure).

Great work Surf! It's great to see some experimental areas being explored here BigGrin

surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:06:51 PM

Glad you liked some of them. My favorites were the Moff and the Muun. Here I preach about the Imp and Sep dominance and the best pieces, in my opinion are the .... Imps and Sep! Oh well.

So, you think Horn's undercosted? I thought his weakness/vulnerability would keep his cost down; I could be wrong. Cool
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:27:43 PM

Nice work! My favorites are the Advanced Commando Scout, Elite Clone Sniper Scout, and Mandalorian Desert Trooper.

WotC Mandos would have fared much better under your tutelage BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:40:57 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Nice work! My favorites are the Advanced Commando Scout, Elite Clone Sniper Scout, and Mandalorian Desert Trooper.

WotC Mandos would have fared much better under your tutelage BigGrin

Thanks for checking in. Nice to know you liked some of the pieces, and interestingly enough, I never play Mando's myself. I just look at them and say "what would a real Military do in certain situations?"
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:07:39 PM

Commando scout is a sweet idea, nice job.

Besalisk enforcers cost needs to come up (comparing him to the more expensive by 1 Rodian raider who only has triple)

Corran is a cool idea and well executed but you could probably drop his cost a couple points

I would definitely use that cyborg BH

Your elite clone sniper reminds me of my Recon days haha.

Leonia is super cool, where is she from? And pirate love is appreciated also nice bonus for the under appreciated stormtroopers

Mando desert trooper is a cool greater stealth idea. Maybe change desert camo to Greater Stealth as it can be reused on others later

And the Munn is cool but in separatists you want your opponent to bring him in most of the time so you get mad reserves

Love the Selkath!

Why do we not have a proper pirate like the one you made

Capture beast is a neat idea but wording needs to change to at the end of the round, adjacent medium or smaller enemies are captured. Also maybe drop HP slightly and specify that an enemy can only be affected by one capture ability per round or else imagine surrounding a 100 pointer or a team with 5-6 of these and just ending the game haha
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:24:08 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
Commando scout is a sweet idea, nice job.

Besalisk enforcers cost needs to come up (comparing him to the more expensive by 1 Rodian raider who only has triple)

Corran is a cool idea and well executed but you could probably drop his cost a couple points

I would definitely use that cyborg BH

Your elite clone sniper reminds me of my Recon days haha.

Leonia is super cool, where is she from? And pirate love is appreciated also nice bonus for the under appreciated stormtroopers

Mando desert trooper is a cool greater stealth idea. Maybe change desert camo to Greater Stealth as it can be reused on others later

And the Munn is cool but in separatists you want your opponent to bring him in most of the time so you get mad reserves

Love the Selkath!

Why do we not have a proper pirate like the one you made

Capture beast is a neat idea but wording needs to change to at the end of the round, adjacent medium or smaller enemies are captured. Also maybe drop HP slightly and specify that an enemy can only be affected by one capture ability per round or else imagine surrounding a 100 pointer or a team with 5-6 of these and just ending the game haha

Koba thinks Corran's undercosted and you think he's overcosted! Perfect I say!!

Leonia came from the comics " X-Wing: Rogue Squadron" and the novel "I, Jedi."

Capture Beast - Well, I've never played 100pt games; interesting idea, but I also thought if you can't outrun a Speed 4 animal, you deserve what you get.

The Enforcer - anything under 12 cost is always tricky to cost to everyone's satisfaction; someone would argue with 40 HP, he wouldn't last, some will say if he's only got 5 Attack he doesn't hit hard enough .... etc so I say he's more of a "common" I need a body type at 9 pts ....

....and frankly you liked 8/13 so I'll say the set is a success GG; I'll take that as a compliment Cool

.... and the Muun, not sure what you mean so I'll leave that alone Unsure

Thanks