RegisterDonateLogin

Pass on what you have learned.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:29:02 PM
Groups: Member

So, the holiday’s have commenced, the Force hasn’t awakened quite yet and after a rather wild Thanksgiving, I’m thinking “Send out another set” so here they are. Maybe some will find something here worthy of comment. If nothing else, somebody should do something to Awaken the Customs board. Cool

Happy Holidays,

Surf

Bith Co-Pilot-Gunner I’ve never liked the WOTC ability of Gunner, but a gunner, in a ship, also is the one targeting and calibrating distances on the ships guns (rangefinding;) so here he is …..

Death Star Engineer I was watching an old WWII movie and the engineers were using a Bangalore Torpedo so …… And the Meticulous Worker restricts him somewhat. He may be a 1-2 shot character, so use him wisely.

Dug Close Support Trooper I’ve always liked the idea of a Blast Cannon, but also thought his range shouldn’t be even 6 squares. This “sawed off” shotgun is very dangerous up close and personnel; with the right support he could be quite fun I think.

Jakku Luggabeast Just an extrapolation on the upcoming Force Awakens. Don’t know enough about any character yet to do them, but this guy seems fun.

Kaminoan Arc Trooper Honestly, he’s a leftover from a ways back, but I thought he’d be the kind of Clone that would be defending the planet during the Sep attack.

Mandalorian Cadet The Mando’s don’t really have much in the way of grunts, so here’s the cheapest idea I could come up with. The big boys all had to start somewhere.

Mon Cala Special Forces Sniper Saw the character in Fantasy Flight; I kind of like the “Confirmed Target" ability; it gives him an extra jolt even if he gets more Attack points from somebody else.

Neimoidian Sniper As part of my continuing crusade to create non-droid Sep characters ( Neimoidians, Muun & Gossam are Great) I present this sniper …..

Peace Brigade Propagandist With that “Outsider” ability, its much easier to add fun little abilities to the Vong now (Thanks V-Setters!)

Quarren Hoth Sergeant Twilight company and Battlefront both wind up on Hoth, and a pic of a Quarren was on Battlefront, so I made him a sergeant and gave him some useful for Hoth troopers.

Tulak Hord, Lord of Hate Apparently, there’s quite an article on Tulok in Wook, so I decided to do a unique, and make him rather dangerous; all according to what Wook had to say …..

Yet agaon, my usual ménage of hopefully good, bad and ugly. Comments always appreciated and welcomed. I might be able to sneak in one more before Christmas, if not, again, Happy Hollidays.

Surf
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:39:18 PM

Cover Me on the Old Republic Dug seems quite powerful. Does the receiving piece need to have Twin Attack already?
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:25:51 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Cover Me on the Old Republic Dug seems quite powerful. Does the receiving piece need to have Twin Attack already?

No, its a one-time attack by one adjacent character. If its a shooter, he could weaken a larger opponent for the Dug to finish off, help clear out other pieces or if the enemy has based the Dug, help clear him off so the Dug's free to shoot something else.

Thanks for the comment!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:46:57 AM

I'm enjoying another variety of Dug fringer,
and the JQ luggabeast/critter.

the irony of the Peace Brigade Propagandist having a droid is not lost on me;
didn't the vong hate droids? BigGrin
it still fits; they have to use the holonet somehow, to broadcast their krabby-shenanigans
Tulak Horde is also a nice new sith option

great work, Surf! Xmas comes early this year - many thanks!
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:24:55 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
I'm enjoying another variety of Dug fringer,
and the JQ luggabeast/critter.

the irony of the Peace Brigade Propagandist having a droid is not lost on me;
didn't the vong hate droids? BigGrin
it still fits; they have to use the holonet somehow, to broadcast their krabby-shenanigans
Tulak Horde is also a nice new sith option

great work, Surf! Xmas comes early this year - many thanks!

Thought you'd be amused by the Non-Droid Vong having a piece using a droid. Glad you liked the Dug although I .thought the Jakku, being a droid, would grab you too
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:57:52 PM

@Surf,
The JQ luggabeast... it looks nasty,
like some kind of ATST/ATMP top on top of a cyborg beast-thing...
it's very "Grot" from Orks of W40K
StarKiller97
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:17:41 PM

So the Dug can give any one an immediate Twin Attack?!? WOW...
Lord of Hate guy looks pretty scary, 5FP for 50 Damage does seem reasonable.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:48:27 PM

@starkiller97;
that is my understanding, a defacto twin attack.
it is balanced by the fact, auto-damage and AoE is saturated in many games,
so it will be very situational to use (maybe as a pincer move to deny gambit)
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:49:59 PM

StarKiller97 wrote:
So the Dug can give any one an immediate Twin Attack?!? WOW...
Lord of Hate guy looks pretty scary, 5FP for 50 Damage does seem reasonable.

Well, I don't know about a "Wow" for the Twin Attack, its only a one shot per round ability. As for Turok, Well, I guess if you can pull someone in that fast/hard, its got to hurt. But the target better be worth the 5 FP ... and you're also based so retaliation could hurt right back at ya...

kobayashimaru wrote:
@Surf,
The JQ luggabeast... it looks nasty,
like some kind of ATST/ATMP top on top of a cyborg beast-thing...
it's very "Grot" from Orks of W40K

AT-ST Koba?? he's more of a part Cart, part Bantha BigGrin
StarKiller97
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:00:45 PM

^ Yes but he can give it to anybody. So if I place him right, he can give a beat stick or a high damaging shooter piece an immediate twin. There's nothin wrong with it. Just asking questions. It can really save someone's life
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:11:11 PM

StarKiller97 wrote:
^ Yes but he can give it to anybody. So if I place him right, he can give a beat stick or a high damaging shooter piece an immediate twin. There's nothin wrong with it. Just asking questions. It can really save someone's life

Well, yes, but the Dug's Cannon only has a range of 3 squares; being adjacent to the Dug, the Character getting the Twin has to be set just right. If its the next character to move, it can run; but if you pre-positioned him to take advantage of the twin, he may be open to a prior attack before the Dug's move. The whole thing is, as Koba said, situational. You may be in a good spot to use it, you may not. Personally, I might use a Kel Dor BH as the shooter and set it up as a good way to utilize the Self-Destruct but I digress ... I see it as situational and leave it at that. At 40 pts, the Dug probably will only get one good shot/use, if that ... but yes, you also might be able to bail out a character that needs to retreat when being chased by somebody.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:20:09 PM

@starkiller97
hehehe, indeed, nothing wrong with asking questions BigGrin
how else do we get to understanding things- plus, it's a custom piece and a new-ish ability,
so I'm keen to see how it might function also.
a great example of how a seemingly innocuous piece could become a meta-piece, were it to be an officially tournament piece hehehe

@all
yeah, as presently worded, the Dug can give
adjacent allies (irrespective of unique or non-unique, or commander/follower type),
an immediate twin attack.
with a few pieces, and if they're attacking a piece who hasn't activated... it could be for considerable damage.
yet, it is tempered by the fact the dug is fragile, and it is probably highly situational...

I envisage testing this with the Big D fringer, to see if disintegrations occur with 5 attacks per round per Big D fringer BigGrin

still, 2 free additional attacks, each potentially at +50DMG and +12 Attack for the droids...
muahahaha. I'm liking the Dug (even though Droids cannot benefit from SAs or CEs unless the CE expressly says otherwise etc).
the Gonk makes a comeback also, because it grants adjacents extra attack...

for 30pts, I can now divert a couple of hallways as 'covered' with a 3-piece team,
A dug, a gonk, and a droid sniper (sounds like a setup for a bad joke).
I could also swap the droid sniper for a Security Battledroid or juggernaut.

in 250, I now have 2 x 5-attack detachments to guard the flanks for less than 60 pts,
allowing the 190 point main assault force to concentrate on center or a flank.

similarly, in fringe-themed squads,
I'd be able to protect center with 40 pts x 8 attacking Big D squad on some maps,
and use the remaining 210 for an assault force.

plus, it's old republic, so it helps that faction substantially.
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2015 7:21:16 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
@starkiller97
.....a great example of how a seemingly innocuous piece could become a meta-piece.

The Dug as a meta-piece???? That would scare me and Not my intent Scared

kobayashimaru wrote:
@plus, it's old republic, so it helps that faction substantially.

Now, This was my intent BigGrin

One way or the other, I don't know if I've Ever had one little card cause so much debate; not that I'm complaining, but it seems strange after getting maybe 1-3 comments per set the last few years and suddenly several people chiming with a long discussion.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2015 12:50:42 PM

@surf,
indeed - it is odd that;
years of 'comments-drought', and then 'when it rains, it pours' BigGrin
I see what you mean though - if only it was more of a soaking rain spaced more evenly across time hehehe

turning to The Dug,
it's a fun piece.
Some short playtesting games are confirming the notion that, it's a highly situational play.
he's lightning'd, missile'd or force pushed before he can get an adj ally to use some withering attacks.

Dynamic Duos, that's a little different. This little guy has put a lot of new combos into Dynamic Duos. BigGrin
2 extra +50Dmg attacks per turn is punishing.
that, and the more attacks with Disintegrate, the better the chance of disintegrations - after 6-7 attacks, you'd expect a 20 to turn up.

maybe, if Cover Me! was delimited to non-unique allies, it'd be less of a high damage output 'metaoption',
though - there'd still be a couple of Disintegration threats, and still a potential for a few attacks at high damage.
maybe, a once-per-game ability?
maybe, a slight increase in cost (to make it prohibitively expensive to have more than 1 dug in 200 or 250 games, that'd be around 27-35pts, which is a very sizeable chunk of the squad which will make folks think twice if they'd really want to commit to an unreliable situational play at the cost of activations etc)

that said - I've long been a firm believer of "its your custom your way";
and, with further playtesting,
I'm convinced using "The Dug" will remain a situational play, and nowhere near as frustrating as perhaps,
"mobile attacking stealth evade" squads,
or diplomat etc BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2015 3:43:42 PM

What I find interesting is that Cover Me isn't even a new ability; I used it on my Old Republic Ace last June and nobody said hardly a ripple with that set ... well, if it creates ideas or interest who am I to say no?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2015 6:47:42 PM

indeed, cover me is a neat idea thats been around for a while -
its a time-delay reflection. BigGrin
Cover Me is like Ki-Adi-Mundi lite, and it synergizes well with momentum-type squads.
The Ace doesn't have as much access, unless it could get evade and stealth somehow...
in the full context - it was for the Old Republic - which for a very long time, had no access to such pieces,
and was consistently outgunned by fringe or sith pure factions,

thats my gazillion cents hehehe BigGrin

changing tracks,
does 2015 hold any other statcard-y fun, Surf?
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 8:54:15 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
changing tracks,
does 2015 hold any other statcard-y fun, Surf?

Interestingly enough, I have, at 11 cards a set, the next 6-7 sets shaping up, with newer/better ideas sometimes pushing older cards to the back burner; new pics & ideas still pop up, so therefore new cards. I still may release one more Christmas set when my vacation starts in 2 weeks; no promises, just probable .....
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 4:47:56 PM

I'm something of a 'statcard addict',
and these smaller booster sized updates are awesome BigGrin
A little birdy has told me where to find some mini's scaled heads and sprue parts,
and that'll be fun in trying to make minis to match the statcards

changing topics to staggered activations and vehicles
I still haven't found any reasonable 3, 4, 5, or 6 activation "Staggered Activation" statcard formats,
and mine don't look quite right, across the 3 regular-sized cards (plus, taking a note from ST:FC, ST:AW and XWing, including a couple of double-sided rules reference cards). It's that third card, which is nothing but activation token slots...
trying to compress it into 2 statcards doesn't look nice.
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:13:20 PM

Happy New Years Day!

Been busy with the family so haven't had a chance to work on cards, but in honor of the new SW flic, I present my version of two characters. Lots of people have chimed in on what they think about these two and I've tried to avoid peeking at theirs so as to not "taint or influence" my own work.

Rey, Jakku Scavenger The way I see her, she can take care of herself (good defensive stats) and she doesn't really show any force abilities until seriously threatened (hence the delayed/impulsive Force Powers.) She probably couldn't hurt a good Lightsaber Duelist, but her overpowering Ren, who's not a great Duelist, is within possibility here ....

Kylo Ren, Conflicted Sith If rumors are true that he supposedly killed any/all other apprentices, why does he seem to be unable to beat Rey, never mind actually take damage from an untrained Finn? I can only surmise he killed the other Jedi trainee's by his being armed and they weren't.

Ren seems to be able to generate a fair amount of violence but seems to have some serious weaknesses, almost like a "Glass Cannon" version of a melee piece; if you can base him he's in serious trouble against a good lighsaber fighter (probably wouldn't last more than 2/3 rounds against a real Jedi Master (until he completes his training by Snoke.)

Just a quickie. Comments welcomed!

Happy New Year!

Surf
StarKiller97
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:22:04 PM

I thought he should've had Embrace of Pain too, but everyone said that he shouldn't. Neat!