RegisterDonateLogin

Wiping out Gungans. ALL of them.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:12:46 PM
Groups: Member

bradu wrote:
This is a MASSIVE project! Great work. Is there somewhere you've got all the images posted, making it easy to print?

Hi. Massive project? More of a work in progress (4 plus years.) But appreciate it anyway.

This Is the only place they are. The early cards, by my own standards, are a little rough; as a one-man operation I'd like to think the cards and quality control have improved. Glad you liked them.

Cheers,

Surf
AceAce
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:42:27 PM

I was working some on him today..nice card work

"/>
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 2:09:00 PM

AceAce wrote:
I was working some on him today..nice card work

"/>

Force Fog?
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:53:19 PM

Ok, I've been reading up on the movie, checking out some of the books, reading the Marvel "Vader" series and even checked out the Fantasy Flight games and some characters just jumped out at me so .... yet another interruption from my normal set lists .... Cool

Diala Passil, Enemy of the Empire I don't know why but she's fascinating and ridiculously powerful (according to her Fantasy Flight descriptions.) I think for a supposedly semi trained Jedi, she seems closer to a Master than anything but I swear this is what the game says she can do ....

Doctor Aphra, Rogue Archaeologist So, here I am about two weeks ago getting my butt kicked because as usual I cannot roll to save my life and I look at how I lost; My SS Rebel Commando's with Obi Unleashed & Dagobah Yoda couldn't take out 5 Reborn Shadowtroopers. That dang Invisibility crap helped/managed to even kill Yoda on the last roll of the game, costing me the game. Long story short, I was thinking how do you fight Invisibility and low and behold Aphra shows up in a comic I read; and in her Wook description she uses Stealth Microdroid Dust to "reveal" laser security beams, or "SEE" an invisible something ... no other comment needed. Most of the rest is pretty much from reading the comic, and yes, she carefully shot a wasp nest onto Han's head (while he was doing the same to her.)

Some have speculated that she may be hooking up with Luke down the road; enter Rey. Well, its no better/worse than any other theory I've heard.

Grand General Tagge From the same comic series, My extrapolation of Tagge. I thought he'd be the kind of guy that would use Imp Intelligence (the easy way would've been to just CE everyone into getting Recon, but decided to give Imp Security Frequency Amplification to them. Easier to just use Mas? Sure but he's not as good in a fight as the Imp Security. The Emperor's Ear ability is just an excuse to justify him getting cheaper reinforcements (The Emperor willing to cough up more men to a man of action like Tagge.)

Ketsu Onyo, Black Sun Bounty Hunter Just an interesting comparison to Sabine Wren. Sabine wins if she can prevent Ketsu from basing her. She's based, she loses to Ketsu.

So, what can I say, I had some things to work through and get out. Hope you all like them. Comments appreciated from one and all.

Cheers,

Surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:40:57 AM

Neat stuff! thanks for sharing!

I'm exceedingly happy with Aphra - it came together awesomely! that character, Rohm Mohc etc,
all of that team that are working on keeping Vades a step ahead and maintained, its awesome.
oh, and it defeats some SuperStealth? Awesome.

moving on to Passil...
is perhaps not tempered by some negative CEs... I get the feeling Passil should cost more,
or have negative CEs/SAs...
Its plausible she was of that level of training, having been a knight/Agricorps member prior to Ep III,
and it would be awesome if Passil had met Jax Pavan or Ferrus Olin from the enclave (on the asteroid),
or had been present and left the Conclave of Kessel event...
so she's not entirely untrained (looks at Rey, wtf...)

Dont worry though, its the source material you've got to work with hehehe
Passil is equally overpowered in the base Imperial Assault game too - she's usually the last domino to fall,
and has consistently outlasted Vader in many matches.

Ketsu Onyo is a neat Black Sun faction mid threat too. She's not from the Maul-era blacksun though?
If so, it'd be cool to have her vs Maul (as per the Tales Comic scenario)
I like that she doesn't have Melee Attack, so it's sorta like that RotS Dark Side Adept character too.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:39:32 PM

@ Koba Long time no talk, Yea Passil is a little too much but she is what, as you said, what the source material says. She holds up against Vader? No, that's Too Much.

Yaeh, I like the way Aphra came out too, and I didn't even have to make up the "Stealth Microdroid Dust" idea; its there in Wook.

Have you seen Rey yet? There was a whole discussion about her and I was surprised you never chipped in.
CerousMutor
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:46:34 PM

Has any body played the Fantasy Flight Game?

I cant decide if its worth a purchase...
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:14:04 PM

@Surf...
indeed, forgive my lurking on some things,
its the maxim "if I've nothing nice to say, I say nothing at all" BigGrin re some of the alt-continuity stuff,
the source material hehehe
I could kavetch ad nauseum about some of this nuwars stuff, though I'd sound as a broken record BigGrin

turning to Aphra - nope, you didn't make up Stealth Microdroid Dust -
it's been a part of her character since the Marvel comics era (or of characters similar to Aphra),
that, and anything that can shift the meta away from technicalese of some of these superstealth builds is awesome.
Superstealth builds are popular still in local meta, superstealth diplomat squads especially.
Aphra being related to that sect of cultists Palpatine tried to crush in the Rise of Empire era...

@CerousMutor,
there've been a few threads here on General and Offtopic,
and on boardgamegeek, lead adventure.de and the FFG boards themselves...
it's a difficult one to answer, as its subjective.

The quality of the minis is there,
in terms of RPG and gameplay, it is to me a lot like Tannhauser meets Descent,
so it's fun.
It's a little expensive, but thats the FFG way,
and a little too deck-buildy metacompetitive for me.

That said, I look forward to the fringers and aliens FFG is going to make for the game,
and they're near-enough to scale for SWMinis or SW-W40k purposes,
so it works.
You can pick up second-hand copies from places at $20 discounts,
so it is great.

If you asked me, which is the more star-wars-y from:
Epic Duels,
SWMinis
or Imperial Assault;
Imperial Assault. BigGrin

If you were to ask me what is the more fun...
at this time,
it would be SWMinis through and through.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:56:50 PM

@CerousMuter I actually bought a "Heroes pack" worth of the Imperial Assault, they're close, but a tad smaller (If SWM's are 28mm, FFG is 25mm.) But I'm like Koba in that its a little too Decky for me; too many cards. I watched some of the guys try the game ... made my head hurt. I bought them mostly because I thought next vacation I'd try painting again for fun ...

@Koba Yeah the movie wasn't always what I wanted out of it. Did they really need to blow up the EU totally? But that's another story and I'll use what "source material" I can find (although I like what potential I see in Rey as a character.)
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:34:38 AM

@surf,
its okay - most of the comics and such work fine with whats there - luckily "Roland Barthes "the author is dead' applies,
and we can form our own canon (which, in a recent interview, Lucas recommended)
The actress who plays Rey would've been neat as a young Jaina or even Mara Jade... or a temple acolyte.
Finn is likewise awesome, just sans angst and more Lando.
so many robots and aliens in the background (a japanese fan site has sighted ol' Z'GOK in the background...)

turning to Imperial Assault,
there are the RPG and 'skirmish' modes of gameplay - they're much more streamlined, and have the neat feature of "mission objective" cards,
which serve much the same secondary purpose as Gambit or Quarters KingoftheHill in Tile Wars mode of SWMinis.
the regular FFG ImpAssault game is a little on the deckbuild-y technically direction, and only moving more that way in time.
The scale, Agis Neugebauer had great comparison pics on lead adventure de. some pieces are 25/26mm, others are 29mm... they're much much closer than the
Star Wars Command figures (too massive and army-men-ish) or the Knight Models (super detailed but too sleight)

@all
I think, if folks enjoyed Tannhauser and Descent, they'll love FFG.
It's easily a 2-3 hour game against 1-2 opponents.

Though, I enjoyed Epic Duels a LOT as a youngster,
and when the opportunity to acquire several copies arose, I donated some to the local game club.
It's a great game too, but oddly is like "The Queen's Gambit" board game, or SWMinis light.
BigGrin
juice man
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:52:59 AM

CerousMutor wrote:
Has any body played the Fantasy Flight Game?

I cant decide if its worth a purchase...
Started playing couple months ago. ThumbsUp The campaign game plays like a RPG, battle only. After each mission you have equipment you can buy and a limited number of personal upgrades to get via experience pts. Haven't played the skirmish yet, but Jak has, he says it's AWESOME.
Finding somebody else who has it is the best way to test the waters, or you could get Ebay lucky.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:03:37 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Passil is a little too much but she is what, as you said, what the source material says. She holds up against Vader? No, that's Too Much.
I've been playing her in Imperial Assault, she can kick butt. Maybe Force Push 2 instead of Repulse? LS Sweep instead of Whirlwind? In game, healthy, with a boatload of XP and the right weapon, she could duke it out with Vader.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:52:09 PM

@juice man, yup,
that hypothetical with Passil is often what presently happens.
Vades is shot to heck in approaching, or Vader gets a few good hits on Gaarkhan, and then dies...
the wookie ally pack made Gaarkhan a little nastier too...
Passil usually sits back and attacks when weakened,
or flanks and mops up the trooper pincer move hehehe BigGrin
jak
Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2016 7:09:24 AM

ben playing Gaarkin in Joe group, and Fenn in another,
one kicks a$$ in melee, one from a distance.

great game- will probably kill SWM for me.
you can't beat a new game with new pieces and company support.
vsets kept it fresh for a while, but, lately they can't compete with new toys.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2016 8:21:49 AM

jak wrote:
ben playing Gaarkin in Joe group, and Fenn in another,
one kicks a$$ in melee, one from a distance.

great game- will probably kill SWM for me.
you can't beat a new game with new pieces and company support.
vsets kept it fresh for a while, but, lately they can't compete with new toys.

Well, I guess I better paint those figures then. Apparently Imperial Assault is coming down the road. Anybody try playing on a SWM map or would that be a non-starter?
jak
Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2016 9:28:59 AM

no-need, the maps are 10-15% the size of minis maps.
Less time just moving, and dickin' with doors.
also, the skirmish mode has ways to score VP's without killing an enemy.

we should move this to another thread.
I'll start one in Off-Topic
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 7:06:13 AM

... 900 hits on the thread in three days and not a single comment ... makes me want to take out the card pics with all the lookie loo's here .... Huh
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 5:49:50 PM

Indeed, you're nearing 100K views -
congrats on that feat alone, by the by!
and yet, so many don't provide any feedback;
on how a piece has performed, meta-combos, etc.

I think it is possible to track the download by IP region etc,
so it will give you an idea of where they're ending up. BigGrin
unless of course, the board has succumbed to spam bots,
and those views were entirely from spam accounts, which have been on the rise at Bloomilk for a while;
in which case, keep on lurkin' spam bots hehehe.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:24:14 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Indeed, you're nearing 100K views -
congrats on that feat alone, by the by!
and yet, so many don't provide any feedback;
on how a piece has performed, meta-combos, etc.

I think it is possible to track the download by IP region etc,
so it will give you an idea of where they're ending up. BigGrin
unless of course, the board has succumbed to spam bots,
and those views were entirely from spam accounts, which have been on the rise at Bloomilk for a while;
in which case, keep on lurkin' spam bots hehehe.

I've always suspected that the overseas players (Europe and the Pacific Rim) is where the lurkers are. Makes me look at what's sitting on the workbench (so to speak) and I've noticed a lot of my non-uniques are starting to be just fill=in's on what factions don't have (No pilot? Give'em one, etc.) and while they're nice enough (I've got like 80-100 cards sitting around in various stages) little seems to be in the Dang I've Got To Get This Out variety. I seem to be at a crossroads, so to speak. I wonder how the V-Setters do it. I've also always preferred non-uniques but seem to have done more Uniques lately. Where's Obi-Wan when I need him .....
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:22:29 AM

No more rants, just cards … and yet again, something new, some fodder, some variations on a theme, hopefully something for everyone. An old professor said that even if you only take away one idea, meetings and conferences are worthwhile. I hope you can all find at least one gem in this rubble Cool

Abednedo Informant Liked the new species and “Unobtrusive” is sort of a poor man’s Diplomat.

Devaronian Freedom Fighter Nice pic, fits my liking of living Sep characters instead of droids. Fits into a Rebel squad too, just for fun.

Duros Saboteur Not my usual pic (painted character, not drawn) but I like where Fantasy Flight was going with this; a trouble making man of mayhem.

Gotal Infiltrator I always thought the Gotal couldn’t be all bad and grumpy (Imps? Vong Collaborators?) so I made this one into a New Republic foot soldier to counter the Vong Collaborator.

Gray Jedi Knight Probably could/should have made her with OR affinity, but she’s here as a Republic figure; sort of an addition to Qui-Gon.

Leia Organa, Young Senator Made this a few weeks after TFA and reading a story about a younger Leia; Kind of like the Clear Mind/Popular Public Figure SA’s. If you need to kill her late in the game, you may not have fodder around to do it. Clear Mind makes her feel like somebody who won’t take any crap from you. Like it BigGrin

Mandalorian Heavy Trooper I know, I know, another cookie cutter filler piece. Still it’s hard to imagine a military group like the Mando’s NOT having some weaponry somewhere around …

Novatrooper Yes, I know, another grunt and the Imps have plenty (and the Imps are one of the more powerful factions as is) but still, Novatroopers did exist and here’s my take on them ….

Ongree Revanite First off, he’s an Ongree, so he he’s a rarity right there! Then I started examining Revanites in general. An interesting group. When fighting Sith or Imps, the Balance and Teachings SA’s bring something interesting to the table, at least I hope …..

Sith Intelligence Officer This is a card I made for a contest almost a year ago, and several people liked it. Just wish I could remember the species … mind’s totally blank today Huh

Young Rakamat So, now I’m getting a little more obscure (and running out of ideas for Vong) so I may not have much more in the Vong-verse, and Disney won’t be providing anything much either …. An interesting creature and idea, but most Vong creations were ….

Koba, I swear I HAD a droid but wanted to work on it some more; sorry. I’m starting to pile up cards and I need to sift through and bring out some really good ones next time. For better or worse, these were done and ready and I hope there’s something here for everyone. Comments always welcome.

Cheers,

Surf