RegisterDonateLogin

Will consume you, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vengeance & Cantina Brawl Spoilers Options
markedman247
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:34:29 PM
Groups: Member

Sithborg wrote:
The only difference with Onimi is that he actually has Force Powers to spend the Force Points on. All Vong could benefit from stealing Holo Sidious's CE.

That is what I was implying. Now the Vong can benefit on stolen force renewal outside of just novelty. I didn't say it was optimum.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:47:13 PM

I personally find it hilarious that the 2 pieces with Vongsense only have Force Lightning as named Force powers. Apparently the Vong are force lightning rods.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:49:43 AM

First issue, Echo had Advanced Door Gimmick incorrect. It's meant to trump override. The FAQ should reflect this.

jhc36 wrote:

yep it's the vongsense...and the fact she's imperial...which begs the question (besides the obvious fact that a nightsister never learned vongsense) how an Imperial nightsister could learn vongsense?

That's why I don't like that character...because...it's completely out of character.

You are generally correct, that an "Imperial Nightsister" would probably not have "Vongsense". Let me try to explain the logic of it. First off, let me give you the rationale I wrote up in the design thread months ago for it :)

"Alright, so I made more or less a conglomerate character based on the skills of a couple different Nightsister Clan Mothers. The key things for them, is that the mothers were usually very old, and very dangerous. The Dathomir Witches in general practice war all of their lives, and were not weak in old age. Mothers could be 300 years old and were especially dangerous with lightning. In addition, they had very powerful skills in pre-cognition, with almost every off-world Witch capable of seeing into the future, and sensing the force, particularly the dark side. Finally, the Witches were able to attack the Vong with the force, particularly the mother at the time."

Here's a direct quote from one nightsister wiki page (there were others I read in my research of the character) - for Lomi Plo.

"By this time she was able to create an energy web that could dice her opponents into pieces, including Yuuzhan Vong, which have shown resistance to most uses of the Force. Additionally, she was an expert at the mind trick, using it on Anakin Solo successfully."

My general thoughts on it were this. Nightsisters should not be totally foiled by Vong, particularly the old awesome mothers. They didn't ever learn "Vongsense" particularly, but it's the ability already created that gets around force immunity. What they did was use the force in ways that the jedi and sith generally did not, which via consequence (luck perhaps) allowed them to kill Vong with the Force. So in simple terms, Vongsense fit as an abstraction, and as a way to allow them some use against Vong opponents.

Now, as to the Imperial issue, there's where you have a case. I chose Imperial faction to limit their use to dark side. WotC put the original Nightsister in the Imperial faction, so I stuck with that. I debated affinity Sep (as this is where the mothers have been prevalent, particularly Talzin) but in the end preferred the stronger version in the Imperial's alone. i get that it's not a perfect match, but it's better than seeing them in any of the Lighside factions. Fringe just does not fit here. Just as if we ever do Dathomir Witches, allowing them in Dark Side factions would be a mistake.

So take issue if you want, but I think you can at least see why these choices were made, both from a balance aspect, and from a flavor aspect. This figure is tons of fun and really fits both balance, and flavor (when you read Vongsense as a general attribute rather than the very specific real case that it is in the story). "It's a Trap" treatment I guess :)
jlbm347
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:37:54 AM

I just want to comment that a little earlier in this thread I did the research and independently brought up Lomi Plo as the source of Vongsense. I am glad that the designer confirmed my thoughts. I mention that because I feel it gives validation as a third party that the conclusion that Nightsisters could effect Vong is not necessarily a far out there hypothesis.

I also agree that putting them in the Imperials works because not only from the perspective that Billiv put forth but because the Imperials already have a Nightsister character. The precedent is already set. As well as, in my opinion, it keeps the use of heavy force lightning and general Dark Side of the force aspect to the Imperials where it has been. The valid argument can be made that the Sith should represent the "Dark Side of the Force," however, I think that the Imperial faction as a unit of the game has been and should remain the faction of heavy dark side force powers and characters. When you think about force lighting for example you generally think Palpatine, unlimited power and all that. When you think of "evil" and the permeation of Dark Side energies in the galaxy the Empire is what I think a lot of people would think of. The Sith I think are the embodiment of "exotic" force powers in the game. Illusion, Sorcery, Force Drain, Dark Force Spirit, Force Bubble. They are the exotic and subtle ways of manipulation while the Empire is the faction of bold, overwhelming, power.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:20:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

billiv,

Thanks for that reply. I don't know much about the canon regarding Nightsisters, but I'm glad to see it's well researched and thought out. Your explanation made total sense to me.

Also, I'm relieved to hear that Advanced Door Gimmick trumps Override. That's the way it reads, so I'm glad the rule works the way it says it works. Advanced Door Gimmick trumps Override, which trumps Door Gimmick. But Override is the only one of the three that can close a door. (And of course, there are also now 4 different ways to destroy a door.)
jhc36
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:51:42 PM

billiv15 wrote:
First issue, Echo had Advanced Door Gimmick incorrect. It's meant to trump override. The FAQ should reflect this.

jhc36 wrote:

yep it's the vongsense...and the fact she's imperial...which begs the question (besides the obvious fact that a nightsister never learned vongsense) how an Imperial nightsister could learn vongsense?

That's why I don't like that character...because...it's completely out of character.

You are generally correct, that an "Imperial Nightsister" would probably not have "Vongsense". Let me try to explain the logic of it. First off, let me give you the rationale I wrote up in the design thread months ago for it :)

"Alright, so I made more or less a conglomerate character based on the skills of a couple different Nightsister Clan Mothers. The key things for them, is that the mothers were usually very old, and very dangerous. The Dathomir Witches in general practice war all of their lives, and were not weak in old age. Mothers could be 300 years old and were especially dangerous with lightning. In addition, they had very powerful skills in pre-cognition, with almost every off-world Witch capable of seeing into the future, and sensing the force, particularly the dark side. Finally, the Witches were able to attack the Vong with the force, particularly the mother at the time."

Here's a direct quote from one nightsister wiki page (there were others I read in my research of the character) - for Lomi Plo.

"By this time she was able to create an energy web that could dice her opponents into pieces, including Yuuzhan Vong, which have shown resistance to most uses of the Force. Additionally, she was an expert at the mind trick, using it on Anakin Solo successfully."

My general thoughts on it were this. Nightsisters should not be totally foiled by Vong, particularly the old awesome mothers. They didn't ever learn "Vongsense" particularly, but it's the ability already created that gets around force immunity. What they did was use the force in ways that the jedi and sith generally did not, which via consequence (luck perhaps) allowed them to kill Vong with the Force. So in simple terms, Vongsense fit as an abstraction, and as a way to allow them some use against Vong opponents.

Now, as to the Imperial issue, there's where you have a case. I chose Imperial faction to limit their use to dark side. WotC put the original Nightsister in the Imperial faction, so I stuck with that. I debated affinity Sep (as this is where the mothers have been prevalent, particularly Talzin) but in the end preferred the stronger version in the Imperial's alone. i get that it's not a perfect match, but it's better than seeing them in any of the Lighside factions. Fringe just does not fit here. Just as if we ever do Dathomir Witches, allowing them in Dark Side factions would be a mistake.

So take issue if you want, but I think you can at least see why these choices were made, both from a balance aspect, and from a flavor aspect. This figure is tons of fun and really fits both balance, and flavor (when you read Vongsense as a general attribute rather than the very specific real case that it is in the story). "It's a Trap" treatment I guess :)

Appreciate the well thought out response. Whereas I knew where the basic gist of the figure was coming from, I was baffled by the faction choice. Unfortunately it makes perfect sense for that character to be where she is. Not saying I like it, but it's understandable. The issue I'm struggling with, is that the force ability that affected a yuuzhan vong (by a nightsister) is not even represented on the piece. Instead there is Lightning 2 and 3?? Look, I'm a giant proponent of the vsets and have been playing this game since RS have donated every time a set is being worked on ( and will do it again for vset4), but I think the character is sloppy. And I don't like to see sloppy powerful pieces, it worries me. It's no surprise to anyone when I say that I'm a huge fan of playing the Yuuzhan Vong in the competitive atmosphere since Universe. It's just a little disappointing that now it's possible I could see this in not only an Imp squad...but a pawned sep squad. Seps....really? Perhaps I wouldn't have been as wound up about it had she been unique. In all probability I won't even see her during Regionals, and my little neurotic rant will mean nothing. Wink

No hard feelings though, this set is the best designed by far and the CB is a great nod to some never used vintage figs. I appreciate everyone's effort in keeping this game alive, and hope it continues for a long time.

EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:30:16 PM

jhc36 wrote:
The issue I'm struggling with, is that the force ability that affected a yuuzhan vong (by a nightsister) is not even represented on the piece. Instead there is Lightning 2 and 3??

I think the main reason for that is that the mini represents an average Nightsister Mother, not Lomi Plo herself. If we get a Lomi Plo figure in the future, I'm sure we'd see a version of that ability.

Probably something like:

Force Snare (Force 2, Replaces Attacks, Range 6. Target character takes 30 damage and cannot move until the end of the round.)
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:33:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Just because this one Nightsister has Vongsense shouldn't worry a Vong player. It's good that the Electroshock squads won't just roll over to Vong, especially since GOWK is back, Lightning squads will play a part. I would imagine in a competitive Electroshock squad, you will see only one or two. And they will die fairly quickly against a wide variety of Vong figs.

Don't worry Vong players, this may be a bit of a hit to Vong, but they have gotten a whole lot of new toys. I have some very fun ideas for Vong, that have nothing to do with what came before.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:31:33 PM

On Sith Holonetwork News last week, we know the following about v-set 4:

i) It's called Scum and Villainy, and the v-set is called Jedi and Sith.
ii) There's a Fringe piece called the Rakghoul Warrior.
iii) The focus is on Fringe pieces, similar to the WoTC Bounty Hunters set, and there are only three Separatist pieces and three Imperial pieces.

Someone with admin should maybe start a new thread?
markedman247
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:41:19 PM

TheHutts wrote:
On Sith Holonetwork News last week, we know the following about v-set 4:

i) It's called Scum and Villainy, and the v-set is called Jedi and Sith.
ii) There's a Fringe piece called the Rakghoul Warrior.
iii) The focus is on Fringe pieces, similar to the WoTC Bounty Hunters set, and there are only three Separatist pieces and three Imperial pieces.

Someone with admin should maybe start a new thread?

If there is a Rakghoul warrior, I would wager a guess that Nekghouls might rear up as well.
Darth Cerberus
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:34:04 PM

I still would have liked to see an affinity with the Sith for the Nightsisters, as they are also known in some circles as Sith Witches. Being Fringe would have allowed them to be in either faction, which realistically they are their own faction or were until just after the events that happened at Yavin IV. But oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too I guess. I was just glad to see my girls get a boost this round.
Poopdog91
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:54:10 AM

Does anyone know when the Vengeance/Cantina Brawl minis will be available in the squad builder?
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 7:25:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Poopdog91 wrote:
Does anyone know when the Vengeance/Cantina Brawl minis will be available in the squad builder?

It's being worked on, I can't give a realistic ETA at this point. I will post when I know more. BlooMilk
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 7:25:15 AM

The way Dessel's CE is worded, it seems that in the case that say, a grenadier threw a grenade on its turn and two Gloom walkers both missed their saves, only one would be able to reroll.

Sithborg
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 8:03:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
The way Dessel's CE is worded, it seems that in the case that say, a grenadier threw a grenade on its turn and two Gloom walkers both missed their saves, only one would be able to reroll.

Each Gloom Walker can reroll one save once per turn. The sentence would be reversed for your interpretation.
DieAndBeMetal
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:10:04 PM

Bump.