Purge Trooper, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
21 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16
Attack: 9
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Dark Trooper (Counts as a character named Dark Trooper)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Density Projector (Ignores effects that force movement)
Jedi Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Missiles 10 (Replaces attacks: sight; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)

Coming in the same set at General Rom Mohc, the Purge Trooper is another option for Dark Trooper squads. With General Rom Mohc he can pick up Advanced Shields 2, which can make him a tough cookie for only 21 points. But at the same time, with only a single melee attack, its damage isn't very high - a single attack at +13 for 20 isn't going to get through enemy squads very fast, although Missiles 10 is very useful for swarm control. There isn't enough power here to justify 21 points, even though Purge Troopers with Advanced Shields 2 can be a pain to take down. 4/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:24:52 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think the biggest downsides of the Purge Trooper are that melee attack and Droid. As a shooter it might have found some fun uses, and if he had been subject to a few CEs outside of Rom I think he would have been a fun addition to certain trooper squads.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:32:18 PM
Groups: Member

DRK-1 Dark Eye Probe Droid, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
20 points, Sith
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 16
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Intuition (Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to its speed before any other character activates)
Self-Destruct 10 (When this character is defeated, each adjacent character takes 10 damage)
Sensors (This character and allies can ignore cover when targeting enemies within 6 squares of this character)
Sonic Stunner (Replaces attacks: range 6; living target and each living character adjacent to that target are considered activated this round; save 11 negates. Huge and larger characters ignore this special ability.)

Darth Maul's Probe Droid wasn't a piece I was expecting to see, but this is an interesting representation with a bunch of Special Abilities. The most interesting is Sensors, which is helpful for nailing Cloaked characters or for ignoring targeting rules for Force Powers - for example Force Lightning can ignore the scrubs who are blocking the way and go straight for the main characters. It also has a chance to activate pieces with Sonic Stunner, which affects the target and adjacent pieces (and it can benefit from its own Sensors, so it doesn't have to follow targeting rules within 6 squares). With Intuition, Speed 8, and Flight, the DRK-1 is fast, while it can also shoot, combine fire, and has Self Destruct 10.

It is often difficult to fit more expensive tech pieces into squads; with no Sith reinforcements, the DRK-1 really has to be mainlined into a squad, and with only 50 hit points it's fragile for its cost. But the Sensors/Sonic Stunner/Intuition combination does have some interesting potential, and it's certainly a useful piece, even though it's not likely to see too much play, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:35:35 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
I think the biggest downsides of the Purge Trooper are that melee attack and Droid. As a shooter it might have found some fun uses, and if he had been subject to a few CEs outside of Rom I think he would have been a fun addition to certain trooper squads.

Wow - I didn't even notice that it was melee - I just assumed it could shoot. I've never played a Rom Mohc squad - it's just not my thing, as it's very defensive and reactive - feels like I'd just be rolling saves all day.

The melee attack makes it even weaker, and you're right that Droid is big - it can only really pick up +4 defense from HK-47 and +4 attack/advanced shields from Rom Mohc.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:02:04 PM

Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
29 points, Republic
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 18
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Impulsive Sweep (If a Unique allied character is defeated, this character can immediately attack each adjacent enemy once)

Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Riposte (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker)

Like most of the melee Jedi from his era, Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight looks dated by modern standards, but at the same time he's probably held up better than many of the other Jedi from Clone Strike and Revenge of the Sith. His lack of ranged defense means that he's nowhere near competitive, but he does have a neat trick with Impulsive Sweep - the v-set's introduction of Momaw Nadon, and cheap uniques like Salacious Crumb and Wuher, means that it's possible for Anakin's player to trigger Impulsive Sweep. Lightsaber Riposte is also useful against Lancers and for increasing his damage output when he gets into melee. Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight isn't particularly impressive for 29 points, but he does at least have a few interesting possibilities, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:43:24 AM

Darth Plagueis, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
63 points, Sith
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 20
Attack: 13

Special Abilities
Unique
Parry (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 2 (This character gets 2 Force points each time he activates)
Essence of Life (Force 2: When a living ally within 6 squares would be defeated, that ally makes a save of 11. On a success, that ally has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated.)
Force Corruption 3 (Force 3, replaces turn: range 6, non-Droids only; target and each character adjacent to that target take 30 damage and are corrupted. Each time a corrupted character activates it must attempt a save of 11. On a failure, that character takes 30 damage. On a success, that character is no longer corrupted.)
Force Corruption 4 (Force 4, replaces attacks: range 6, non-Droids only; 40 damage and target is corrupted. Each time the corrupted character activates, it must attempt a save of 11. On a failure, that character takes 40 damage. On a success, that character is no longer corrupted.)

It's interesting looking back on the positive reception that Plagueis received upon release; it feels like a lot of the Sith lords got a free pass just for their exotic force powers and collectability, despite the fact that they didn't stand a prayer against Tier 1 builds. Plagueis' big calling card is his Force Corruption - it's range 6 auto-damage which keeps damaging each turn until the victim makes a save 11. Otherwise he's very limited, with just a single attack, Parry, and 120 points to show for his expensive 63 points. This means that he has no shooter defense, and that he's very reliant on his suite of Force Corruptions for damage; but as his Force Corruptions don't work on droids or force immune pieces, there are a lot of match-ups where he's impotent. Against a melee tank squad, Plagueis could be effective with his auto-damage and his parry, but against 90% of tournament squads, he's an extremely inefficient 63 points of mediocrity; it's also easy to force him into targeting a minor piece like an Ugnaught or Mouse Droid with his Force Corruption. If you want Force Corruption, Darth Zannah brings a lot more to the table at a much cheaper cost; Plagueis is just a big waste of points. 1/10.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 4:54:43 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Elite Scout Trooper, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
13 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 17
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Scout Trooper (Counts as a character named Scout Trooper)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

You may think I'm only covering the Elite Scout Trooper because it just came second in GenCon today (good work atmsalad!), but I actually started this on Wednesday - it's just crazy randomiser doing its thing again.

Unlike most Imperial troopers, the Elite Scout Trooper is relatively self-sufficient with 50 hit points, stealth, and evade, but unlike most popular Imperial troopers it costs 13 points, so you can typically only have 5-6 troopers in a build. Since it's an Imperial trooper, it has obvious synergies with Admiral Daala, where it can pick up Charging Fire and the +4 +10 bonus from Prideful. Even with Prideful, the Scout is still only at +12 for 30 damage, so it's certainly not a heavy hitter for its cost, although it makes up for its lack of offense with its tough defense - 50 hit points, 17 defense, stealth, and evade is a lot of durability for a 13 point piece.

I played around with Elite Scout Trooper builds before the Daala errata, and they were definitely very good, but I would have thought that losing rapport, as well as the extra 10 damage on the Charging Fire, would have been enough to relegate them to the fringes of the competitive game. However, they've shown some solid results during the competitive season this year - pegolego went unbeaten through Swiss at the Tennessee Regional running:

Quote:
Daala's pre-party troopers, Daala, 6 elite scout troopers, palleon, ozzel, piet, commander to give super stealth,forget the rest right off hand.

While atmsalad was top after Swiss at the GenCon 2014 Championships, and second overall, running something like this (not sure if I have the latest version):

Quote:
--Only Tarkins Finest--
27 Admiral Daala
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Security Officer Stormtrooper
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
65 Elite Scout Trooper x5
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
15 Imperial Dignitary x3
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Preferred Reserves:
(Admiral Daala) 14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
(Admiral Daala) 5 Imperial Dignitary

(200pts. 18 activations)

Elite Scout Troopers, with their defensive abilities and access to Imperial commanders, can be a very good trooper option to build around - with their higher cost they're quite a different kettle of fish than most trooper builds. But as atmsalad has shown today, they can be very effective, 9/10.

Thanks Hutts! It's a great piece and the obvious one I chose to build around for gencon.(besides daala that is) 50hp, evade, stealth and access to super stealth for 13 points is pretty huge. Add on charging fire, prideful and some diplomats for cover and your squad becomes just plain dirty.

There down side is the single attack and once your opponent closes the distance elite scouts can fall pretty hard. With the synergies available to them and the potential versatility of their squads I think you are spot on giving them a 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:24:15 PM

Verpine Tech, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
12 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 15
Attack: 3
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Jolt (An enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11. Huge and larger characters ignore this effect.)
Droid Defender (If an enemy targets an allied Droid within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Rig Blaster (Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 damage gain Jolt)

We covered the SpecForce Technician a few days ago, and that piece really feels like an updated version of the Verpine Tech for the Rebels - with Stealth and 30 hit points it's got more staying power, and it adds Blaster Upgrade to give 10 damage shooters twin as well as Jolt. So with the SpecForce Technician running around, the Verpine Tech is all but redundant - and it's not like anyone was using Verpine Techs before the v-sets. Droid Defender has got to be one of the more random abilities out there too - a Draw Fire that only works with Droids - it's not surprising that it's never been reused. The Verpine Tech isn't quite bottom of the heap - giving out Jolt is powerful - but it's unlikely to see play ahead of the SpecForce Technician and Czerka Scientist, 2/10.
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:22:39 AM

a 2?!, you are way to generous my friend.LOL
have you ever seen them played?ThumbDown

I do wish we'd get some vset insect races to use these buggers(lol) as proxies
Echo24
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:25:53 AM

I've actually enjoyed playing them before. Not competitively, but he's fun. I think a 2 or even a 3 is accurate. I'm a sucker for Jolt though, it's one of my favorite abilities.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:58:42 PM

Arkanian Jedi General, from Armed and Operational

Quote:
30 points, Old Republic
Defense: 19
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Prideful (While this character has a higher printed cost than any other character in your squad, this character and allied Old Republic troopers and soldiers with a Damage value greater than 0 get +4 Attack and +10 Damage until this character is defeated)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Valor (Force 2, replaces attacks: For the rest of the skirmish, this character gains the following commander effect: Followers within 6 squares get +2 Attack and +2 Defense)
Lightsaber Defense (Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

Commander Effect
Each commander in your squad (including this character) increases the range of its commander effect by 2 squares.

Non-Unique Old Republic soldier and trooper allies within 6 squares gain Greater Mobile Attack.

I feel like we've had a lot of uninteresting pieces in a row, so it's good to get something meaty. The Arkanian Jedi General, with its Prideful, is obviously an attempt to make strong Old Republic builds that don't include Bastila Jedi Master - although you can play Bastila and the Arkanian together, it does mean that the Arkanian loses its Prideful, and the +4 attack that Prideful provides is often crucial for the Old Republic with their low attack stats. It's also interesting in that you can make strong Arkanian squads without any unique pieces - I can't think of any other viable squads in the game where this is the case. As well as Prideful for Old Republic soldiers and troopers, the Arkanian also hands out Greater Mobile Attack for non-unique Soldiers and Troopers, has Force Valor for a further stat boost, as well as a CE that increases the range of Commander Effects.

While there are a bunch of different soldier and trooper options that work with the Arkanian, the premier option is the 20 point Old Republic Trooper with Triple and GMA - a bunch of them with the Arkanian Jedi General can be formidable, tripling at +14 for 30s when the Arkanian General's Prideful and Force Valor are in play. Unique Soldiers and Troopers like Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier also pick up the Prideful bonus, and there are also other useful commanders and followers around. The Arkanian Jedi General is also an interesting piece in itself - he's a respectable enough fighter for 30 points with GMA, 100 hit points, Sith Rage, and Lightsaber Defense, but he's such a lynch-pin in his squads with his Prideful and GMA CE that you don't want to risk him in the front lines until cleanup time.

While a bunch of GMA Old Republic Troopers led by an Arkanian Jedi General can be a tough squad, and do really well against some tournament builds, it does feel like they don't quite have the tools to be top tier. While they have plenty of damage output and GMA is very useful as well, they still don't have the tricks that a lot of other tournament squads have - they don't have access to or a counter to the big issues like tempo control and movement, just a lot of shots. I still really like the Arkanian Jedi General though - it'd be nice to see some more the Arkanian Jedi General squads augmented down the line, but for now it's a 9/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:28:46 AM

I'd give the Arkanian an 8, for all the same reasons you listed. Not quite there yet, but hopefully more to come soon. We were intentionally cautious of making it too strong too quick. Replacing a lynchpin of a faction that is also one of the best pieces in the game is a tricky calculation. Better to slowly build the squad type than throw it all out at once and risk a meta warping NPE
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 2:10:32 PM

Maris Brood, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
49 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 110

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Force Repulse 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: 20 damage to all characters within 2 squares; push back Huge or smaller characters to 3 squares from this character)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)

Lightsaber Assault with Twin looks awesome, but when you sit down and think about it, for 5 extra points you can get Cad Bane, who also can make four attacks on the move, but can shoot, has a higher attack, Bounty Hunter +6, and more defensive abilities in some situations with Stealth and Evade. So while Maris Brood could be a good hitter in an Imperial squad with Mitt'Thrawn giving her Opportunist, realistically you're going to take Cad Bane every time.

Maris does have some supplementary force powers that make her somewhat interesting. With Twin and Lightsaber Assault, you can pull off a neat trick with her in a Republic squad with Qui Gon JM and Tarpals, where if Qui-Gon dies she receives Master of the Force 2. With Tarpals' CE, she can then Lightsaber Assault twice in a turn - throw in General Skywalker's CE and that's 240 potential damage at +13. Force Repulse 2 is also handy for crowd control, but Maris' lack of defensive abilities is another major thorn on her side.

With the v-sets we have seen more competitively costed melee pieces, which is great, as Maris Brood really doesn't stack up compared to a shooter like Cad Bane. Maris has some interesting gimmicks, but she's only fit for casual squads at this point - 10 points cheaper and she'd start to get interesting, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 2:56:15 PM

Infantry Support Platform, from Vehicles of War

Quote:
33 points, Republic
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 15
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On its turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Order 66
Speed 12 (Can move up to 12 squares and attack, or 24 squares without attacking)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Mounted Weapon (Only allies with Mounted Weapon or adjacent allies with Gunner can combine fire with this character)
Recon (Roll twice for initiative once per round, choosing either roll, if any character with Recon in the same squad has line of sight to an enemy)

An update of Bounty Hunter's ISP Speeder, the Infantry Support Platform is a much better piece - with Speed 12 and access to Greater Mobile Attack from Captain Rex, it's a fast mobile double/twin attacker. Unfortunately though, as a huge base piece it can be hard to make work - it's can be hard to find landing spaces for it on some maps, and easy for your opponent to block against it. There are currently 50 huge based pieces in the game, and only a couple are competitively viable. I think from a design perspective it's an elegant update of an obsoleted piece, and I wouldn't want to see it with much more power for its 33 points, but from a play perspective it's hard for the Infantry Support Platform to force its way into squads with its huge base. You could maybe have some fun with it in Imperials with Palpatine Sith Lord and Thrawn too, but really it's a themed piece, and that's fine in this case, 5/10.
markedman247
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 3:19:57 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Maris Brood, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
49 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 110

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Force Repulse 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: 20 damage to all characters within 2 squares; push back Huge or smaller characters to 3 squares from this character)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)

Lightsaber Assault with Twin looks awesome, but when you sit down and think about it, for 5 extra points you can get Cad Bane, who also can make four attacks on the move, but can shoot, has a higher attack, Bounty Hunter +6, and more defensive abilities in some situations with Stealth and Evade. So while Maris Brood could be a good hitter in an Imperial squad with Mitt'Thrawn giving her Opportunist, realistically you're going to take Cad Bane every time.

Maris does have some supplementary force powers that make her somewhat interesting. With Twin and Lightsaber Assault, you can pull off a neat trick with her in a Republic squad with Qui Gon JM and Tarpals, where if Qui-Gon dies she receives Master of the Force 2. With Tarpals' CE, she can then Lightsaber Assault twice in a turn - throw in General Skywalker's CE and that's 240 potential damage at +13. Force Repulse 2 is also handy for crowd control, but Maris' lack of defensive abilities is another major thorn on her side.

With the v-sets we have seen more competitively costed melee pieces, which is great, as Maris Brood really doesn't stack up compared to a shooter like Cad Bane. Maris has some interesting gimmicks, but she's only fit for casual squads at this point, 3/10.

Always a fun piece but still mostly a free puncher that hopes to land a hit. I hope the V-Set brings in a Shaak Ti of Felucia to lower her cost. So much potential wasted. Same to be said of the other pale Riot Girl: Komasi Vosa
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 4:18:03 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think that Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero helps Maris a little. She can get +2/+2 from his synergy and giving her GMA lets her use those FP for rerolls and not Assault so she can maybe hit. Even so for 49 points there are a lot of pieces I'd much rather take in the NR than her. And if she cost a little less she might be useful as a hitter in Talon squads but again at 49 points I'd probably rather just take a different piece, something that might survive a little longer. She could us an update or a new Shaak Tii to salvage her, because she has a good sculpt and is interesting.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 4:35:59 PM

10 points cheaper, give her lightsaber defense, and up her attack a little, and she'd be playable, I reckon.
markedman247
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 4:40:48 PM

TheHutts wrote:
10 points cheaper, give her lightsaber defense, and up her attack a little, and she'd be playable, I reckon.

Well, if you lower her cost then include Cin Drallig, both are done at once.... more or less. :)
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:57:48 PM

Boba Fett, Enforcer, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
38 points, Fringe
Attack: 11

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Missiles 30 (Replaces attacks: sight; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Net Gun (Replaces attacks: range 6; target enemy and each character adjacent to that target are considered activated this round; save 11 negates. Huge and larger characters and characters with Mounted Weapon ignore this effect.)

While several of the WOTC Boba Fetts have held up well, Enforcer is a jack-of-all-trades who does a bunch of things, but overall isn't efficient enough to be a competitive piece. With Missiles 30, he's an obvious fit for a Tarpals squad, but you can get far more damage out of a bunch of Gungan Artillerists, while the 20 point Blizz also has Missiles 30. Net Gun is kind of neat, but an aware opponent isn't going to bunch up and let you Net Gun multiple pieces, and it's weak for your 38 point piece to deal no damage and only have a 50/50 chance of activating a piece. Enforcer does has accurate shot, but only one attack per round - even with Whorm for Twin he's not a heavy damage dealer. To his credit, he is quite self-sufficient - with mobile and evade, as well as 100 hit points, he's tough for a shooter. It feels like Boba Enforcer would be a strong piece in a format like Sealed or a booster draft, but in 200 point competitive squads it's hard to build around him - really, the crux of the issue is that he's not a heavy enough damage dealer for a 38 point piece. Cool sculpt though, 5/10.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:12:53 AM

enforcer i think is a testament to how much power has creeped since that set.

He was certainly competitive when released, the mobile missiles was almost preferred to attacking when he was released because of all the rebel and fringe evade and jedi deflect that was about, as well as a neat R2 astromech counter (missile the towee and get the droid). He was great at picking off support figs or attacking stealth figures. Pieces weren't as hardy back then so his 20 dmg attack or 30 dmg missiles were enough. he made top 8 in 2007 with

2 x jwm
Boba enf
Lando Cal dashing scoundrel
lobot
2 x uggies