RegisterDonateLogin

Will find you, crush you, grind you into little pieces, then blast you into oblivion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:14:33 PM
Groups: Member

Ysanne Isard, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
26 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Betrayal (On an attack roll of natural 1 against this character, the attacker joins this character's squad until the end of the skirmish)
It's a Trap! (Enemies with Stealth within 6 squares lose Stealth)
Merciless 10 (+10 Damage against enemies at half Hit Points or less)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Torture 2 (When an adjacent living enemy takes damage from an attack by this character, it gets -2 Attack and -2 Defense for the rest of the skirmish. (this ability stacks))

Commander Effect
Imperial allies gain Merciless 10.

At 26 points, Ysanne Isard's not quite worthwhile as a commander and she's not quite worth it as a fighter, but between her commander effect and her abilities as a fighter, 26 points is a fair price for her. But her dual nature, where you really need to use her abilities as a fighter and as a commander to get value out of her, makes her difficult to build around. Her commander effect hands out Merciless, which is a useful damage boost, but situational enough that you wouldn't play her just for the CE. And with Double Attack, Torture 2, and Merciless, she's a threat as a shooter, but with an attack of +8 and her lack of mobility (she needs to be still to get off her double attack), she needs support to be effective.

As a 70 hit point piece with It's A Trap, she might see a little bit of play with Pellaeon subbing her in to deal with builds like Nom Bombs. Ysanne Isard is certainly a flavourful piece, and she brings plenty to the table for 26 points; maybe there's a really strong build out there with her, but the Imperials are so spoilt for choice with great commanders that it's hard to find a niche for her. 7/10.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:16:58 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Ysanne Isard, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
26 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Betrayal (On an attack roll of natural 1 against this character, the attacker joins this character's squad until the end of the skirmish)
It's a Trap! (Enemies with Stealth within 6 squares lose Stealth)
Merciless 10 (+10 Damage against enemies at half Hit Points or less)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Torture 2 (When an adjacent living enemy takes damage from an attack by this character, it gets -2 Attack and -2 Defense for the rest of the skirmish. (this ability stacks))

Commander Effect
Imperial allies gain Merciless 10.

At 26 points, Ysanne Isard's not quite worthwhile as a commander and she's not quite worth it as a fighter, but between her commander effect and her abilities as a fighter, 26 points is a fair price for her. But her dual nature, where you really need to use her abilities as a fighter and as a commander to get value out of her, makes her difficult to build around. Her commander effect hands out Merciless, which is a useful damage boost, but situational enough that you wouldn't play her just for the CE. And with Double Attack, Torture 2, and Merciless, she's a threat as a shooter, but with an attack of +8 and her lack of mobility (she needs to be still to get off her double attack), she needs support to be effective.

As a 70 hit point piece with It's A Trap, she might see a little bit of play with Pellaeon subbing her in to deal with builds like Nom Bombs. Ysanne Isard is certainly a flavourful piece, and she brings plenty to the table for 26 points; maybe there's a really strong build out there with her, but the Imperials are so spoilt for choice with great commanders that it's hard to find a niche for her. 7/10.

+12 for 30 double with Daala or Thrawn though. Not too shabby
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:22:05 PM

Yeah, she just needs to stand still to do it. She's a respectable 7/10, I think she's solid enough. Do you have a favourite build with her?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:44:07 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If I faced Nom Bombs, I would've considered dropping Daala to bring her in. You don't need a high attack or high damage to hit the Nom Bombs. Losing Charging Fire hurts, but another high-HP It's a Trap might have been nice. I never reached a conclusion on that and didn't face Nom Bombs anyway, but I thought about it.

I've only ever played her in a Daala Commander Synergy squad. Something like this:

--Daala Commander Synergy (v2)--
27 Admiral Daala
26 Ysanne Isard
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
48 Security Officer Stormtrooper x3
13 Czerka Scientist
24 Snowtrooper Officer x2
8 Mas Amedda

(200pts. 12 activations)

I don't think it's a Tier 1 squad, but it's a solid enough Tier 2 squad, with some really heavy hitting but relatively immobile pieces. They all need to stand still for Double. Isard in that build is Triple/Prideful attacker with potential for Merciless. So likely a 100dmg shooter. GARY is a 160dmg monster standing still. The And the Snow Officers can do 100dmg, too, with Cunning/Double, or charge for less.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:53:14 PM

I think she can be a good alternate to Arica. If they meta were more geared towards big jedi she'd be much better.
Boris
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 6:51:47 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
62 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 20
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +6 (+6 Attack against Unique enemies)
Disintegration (If this character rolls a natural 20 on an attack, the target is defeated)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Controversial pieces certainly aren't the sole preserve of the v-sets - while fringe shooters with much higher damage outputs have come along and made Boba Bounty Hunter look faintly quaint in comparison, he used to be the most feared piece in the game, and he raised plenty of heckles along the way.

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
I can count over 12 people I know who stopped playing alot because of him, or just flat out quit. Now i ask you...

While he's been outstripped in terms of power level over the years - for instance Cad Bane can put out twice as much damage and has similar durability - it's the threat of Disintegration that still makes Boba Fett Bounty Hunter a notable piece. While you shouldn't underestimate Boba's 120 hit points and accurate shot, he is overcosted for the modern game. But the 5% chance of a disintegration on each shot Boba makes him a threat - it's often good practice to bring in a bodyguard against him.

Back in 2007, this was the GenCon winning squad:

Quote:
2007 (150) Dr_Divot
Broken Boba AE (150)
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
09 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
52 Jedi Weapon Master (x2)
08 Wicket
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist (x3)
09 Ewok (x3)

Boba BH's not really a meta piece anymore, as he's just too expensive compared to more competitive fringe shooters like Cad Bane, Boba Assassin, and Dash Renegade Smuggler, but there are still some interesting things you can do with him. You can pair him with Bothan Nobles for cannon shots, and while I don't know that this billiv15 squad is top tier, it looks fun and squeezes 120 GMA damage out of Boba:

Quote:
--Greater Mobile Boba--
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
49 The Jedi Exile
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
23 Jarael
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(200pts. 10 activations)

Outside of the 200 point format, Boba BH is a monster in Epic squads with Epic Lord Hoth and Bastila - he can run 12 squares then shoot everything he can see, with plenty of chances for a big disintegration. Boba's time at 200 points is gone and it's hard to argue that he's a meta piece any more, but a high hit point accurate shooter with built in mobile and evade, along with the threat of disintegration, still warrants a 7/10.

Without a doubt this was the most hated piece from the WotC era. I remember the 07 Championship tournament when I got hit with the big D on the first attack roll of the game. I lost all interest in playing the tournament at that moment and dropped a couple of rounds later, which actually turned out to be a good thing as I ended up having an interesting conversation with Rob Watkins during a chance encounter in the vendor hall. But I digress.

I remember annoying the crap out of people with my 150 and 200 BFBH squads, and beat DarkJedi21 when I disintegrated his Boba BH and Aurra Sing - both at full health - in back-to-back turns.

My 200 pt. squad was even more annoying:

62, Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
61 Cade Skywalker, Bounty Hunter
34 Bothan Noble x2
15 Ugnaught Demolitionist x5
11 Human Bodyguard
09 General Dodonna
08 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Force Spirit

Obi-Wan's Light Spirit went to Cade and then I just waited you out until it was time to move up Boba and Cade. Then the Nobles would give them both free shots before they ran away. You literally had to kill Boba in a single turn because all the healing was worth 60 hit points. The Human Bodyguard tended to soak up the lethal damage in the rare instance I couldn't keep the Bounty Hunters alive without it. It was also rare for me not to roll a big D at some point during the game. I think Lady Hothie actually did a statistic that determined the odds of rolling a big D with this squad at least once per skirmish was about 92.5% or something like that.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 8:51:26 PM

Defel Pirate, from Vengeance

Quote:
10 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 4
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Self-Destruct 20 (When this character is defeated, each adjacent character takes 20 damage)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Self-Destruct 20, Cunning, and Stealth on a cheap fringe shooter are all great Special Abilities - but even more than most pieces in his price range, the Defel Pirate suffers in comparison to the Klatooinian Assassin. With 10 hit points instead of 30, he's vulnerable to Momaw Nadon, and his Stealth also compares unfavourably to the Klat Assassin's Cloaked. He does have access to a specific commander, Niles Ferrier, who provides him with +4 attack and super stealth, but even with that bump, it's a no-brainer to take the Klat Assassin every time. Because he's 10 points, he might be worth bringing in as Lancer protection with Bribery/Reinforcements, although the new Buzz Droids and LIN Demolitionmechs are probably more popular options. You can make some perfectly respectable squads with the Defel Pirate, but at the same time, it fills a very similar niche to the Klat Assassin, and the Klat Assassin is always going to outshine it. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:56:47 AM

Zuckuss, Bounty Hunter, from The Dark Times

Quote:
35 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 20
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Intuition (Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to his speed before any other character activates)
Rapport (A character whose name contains 4-LOM costs 1 less when in the same squad as this character)
Snare Rifle (A character hit by this character's attack cannot move until the end of this round)

Force Powers
Force 2
Anticipation (Force 1: Reroll initiative once per round)
Force Sense (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters lose Stealth for the rest of the round)

The Dark Times version of Zuckuss is a super interesting piece - he's a Fringe shooter with minimal damage output for his 35 point cost, as well as zero defensive abilities, but he also offers a bunch of unique abilities that synergise together beautifully. With Anticipation he can increase his squad's chances of winning initiative, with Intuition he can get into position, with Accurate he can target almost any piece in line of sight (force sense also helps), and he can pin them down for the round with Snare Rifle, before using his normal movement to get back into cover. Snare Rifle, also known as the glue gun, stops a piece from "moving" for the round - it can be swapped, or carried by Foul Moudama, but it can't use any ability or CE which contains the word move.

Despite his lack of damage output, Zuckuss has seen plenty of competitive play - he made second place in the Charlotte Regional in the 2013 season, in a Separatist squad with Cad Bounty Hunter, Hondo, and Aurra, and he's also seen some action in competitive Imperial squads as a secondary attacker. In more casual play, with Anticipation he's a good match for Republic Reserves squads - you can haunt him with Qui-Gon Force Spirit for infinite Anticipations. Even including Bounty Hunter +4, his attack is only +13, so he might struggle to hit big targets, even with force points for rerolls. Zuckuss Bounty Hunter is a very well designed piece - it's amazing that he's a competitive option, given his limited damage output and defense, 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:45:14 PM

Yuuzhan Vong Hunter, from Vengeance

Quote:
14 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 15
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Yuuzhan Vong Warrior (Counts as a character named Yuuzhan Vong Warrior)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Cloaked (If this character has cover, he cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies)
Counterattack (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker.)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Plasma Eel (Replaces attacks: sight; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Vonduun Crab Armor 16 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 16)

With their loathing for inorganic technology it makes no thematic sense for Vong to have Missiles, so Plasma Eel is the Vong equivalent. A Cloaked, Force Immune Piece with Missiles is strong, although they don't have the support to the damage output increase that Gungan Artillerists have in Republic, unless a Yammosk steals Captain Tarpals' CE. But they do have access to Blast Bug from Warrior Caste Subcommander for when the opposing squad closes in.

A Yuuzhan Vong Hunter swarm hasn't really been explored - they're arguably a little expensive, and the 9 point Praetorite Vong Scout is a better option for the Vong swarm. But the Hunter is also useful as a ranged threat for the Vong - with Plasma Eel they can help clear out enemy fodder screens, and they work fine as a throw-in without support, although the excellent Peace Brigade Soldier is arguably a better source of in-faction ranged damage. The Yuuzhan Vong Hunter has barely been used in 200 point squads - with the higher volume of usable pieces in the v-sets, and Vong as one of the less popular factions, it's not surprising that some pretty good pieces have been overlooked. 7/10.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:10:06 PM

"Yuuzhan Vong Warrior" does not qualify for rapport from Da'gara. That would be the Praetorite Vong Warrior, specifically.

Just pointing out for correctness. I agree it's a pretty good piece that probably hasn't really been tapped for its full potential yet.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:15:11 PM

swinefeld wrote:
"Yuuzhan Vong Warrior" does not qualify for rapport from Da'gara. That would be the Praetorite Vong Warrior, specifically.

Just pointing out for correctness. I agree it's a pretty good piece that probably hasn't really been tapped for its full potential yet.

Oops, thank you. I just made and then deleted a squad around the same premise too.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 8:50:15 AM

Whenever I make a Vong melee squad, I always include at least 1 Hunter. Force Immune Missiles are so handy, and the fact that he's cloaked makes him even better. I don't play Vong very often though, so I might not be the best judge of the piece's value in a squad.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:28:17 AM

Grand Moff Tarkin, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
11 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14
Attack: 3

Special Abilities
Unique

Commander Effect
If this character has line of sight to an enemy at the start of a phase, you can activate up to 3 characters in that phase. (This can include Droid and Savage characters.)

The power piece out of Rebel Storm, Tarkin is situational, but situational works when you're a cheap Imperial commander and you can be swapped in or out with Pellaeon at the start of a skirmish. He's situational because he needs line of sight to an enemy to work, which can be problematic for a 40 hit point piece. But if you're playing against a melee based squad where Tarkin is relatively safe, or if you can outactivate your opponent without tempo control, the ability to start a round with three activations, instead of the usual one, is a very powerful game mechanic.

TimmerB123 wrote:
Tarkin is so darn good. I can go on and on about just how good he is. I put in him in my regional winning Stealth N Blue (and Pellaeon too!) squad, and only swap him out for ozzel when I HAVE to. 3 activations at the top of a round is SICK (especially with Master Tactician!).

--Stealth N' Blue (and Pellaeon too!)--
54 Cad Bane
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nachkt
11 Grand Moff Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
3 Rodian Brute
6 Mouse Droid x3
(200pts. 12 activations)

I'm a little on the fence about what his rating should be - his ability to mess with a core game mechanic (the number of activations per round) is tempered by his vulnerability while doing so. Update - everyone else is saying 10, so I'll go with the majority, 10/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:07:52 AM

Only a 10. Not in the same category as Thrawn or Daala.
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:25:32 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Grand Moff Tarkin, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
11 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14
Attack: 3

Special Abilities
Unique

Commander Effect
If this character has line of sight to an enemy at the start of a phase, you can activate up to 3 characters in that phase. (This can include Droid and Savage characters.)

The power piece out of Rebel Storm, Tarkin is situational, but situational works when you're a cheap Imperial commander and you can be swapped in or out with Pellaeon at the start of a skirmish. He's situational because he needs line of sight to an enemy to work, which can be problematic for a 40 hit point piece. But if you're playing against a melee based squad where Tarkin is relatively safe, or if you can outactivate your opponent without tempo control, the ability to start a round with three activations, instead of the usual one, is a very powerful game mechanic.

TimmerB123 wrote:
Tarkin is so darn good. I can go on and on about just how good he is. I put in him in my regional winning Stealth N Blue (and Pellaeon too!) squad, and only swap him out for ozzel when I HAVE to. 3 activations at the top of a round is SICK (especially with Master Tactician!).

--Stealth N' Blue (and Pellaeon too!)--
54 Cad Bane
31 Arica
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nachkt
11 Grand Moff Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
3 Rodian Brute
6 Mouse Droid x3
(200pts. 12 activations)

I'm a little on the fence about what his rating should be - his ability to mess with a core game mechanic (the number of activations per round) is tempered by his vulnerability while doing so. But I think with Pellaeon around to customise Imperial commanders, the power piece rating of 11/10 is justifiable, 11/10.

Also was in my 2011 Winning Tile wars squad:
--Blast EM' away TW--
51 Joruus C'Baoth
40 Prince Xizor
33 Emperor Palpatine on Throne
31 Arica
11 Grand Moff Tarkin

(198pts. 6 activations)
fingersandteeth
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:59:17 AM

yeah, he's fantastic if you out activate with MT.

otherwise he's an easy target. His situational benefits means he's probably a 9 or a 10
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:59:35 AM

fingersandteeth wrote:
yeah, he's fantastic if you out activate with MT.

otherwise he's an easy target. His situational benefits means he's probably a 9 or a 10

Yeah - I agree.

My raving about him was to convince people that incorrectly thought he was unplayable. I haven't played with him for awhile, as he's clearly better in a lower activation meta.

When you DO outactivate without ozzel - it is sweet to wait till the end, move him into LoS, win init (Thrawn), take two activations, and then move him back to safety. You can also run him up into the thick of it after outactivating, then use him as a swap piece to get Arica deep. So you win init, swap in arica, use her, then you can still lock a door or make another kill.
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:06:29 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Only a 10. Not in the same category as Thrawn or Daala.

Agreed. 10 or even 9 IMO
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:43:30 PM

OK, OK, I've amended him to a 10 - I was on the fence, so I'm convinced by lots of arguments for a 10. The Imperials already have at least five other commanders I can think of who get an 11 (we've had Ozzel and Mitt'Thrawn already), so maybe the 6th is a bit extreme.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:06:17 PM

Here's a breakdown of all the ratings so far. My system seems to hand out a lot of 8s and not many 4s, but generally the v-set stuff looks like a nice bell curve, and the WOTC ratings are all over the place.