RegisterDonateLogin

Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:43:11 PM
Groups: Member

T'Surr, from The Dark Times

Quote:
8 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 14
Attack: 2
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)

The way I see it, the T'Surr has two basic problems. Firstly, with 20 hit points and 14 defense, it's difficult for it to get into melee range to be able to hit anything. Secondly, with an attack of +2, it's going to struggle to hit anything once he's actually got there. I think having 20 hit points is enough to take the T'Surr off the bottom echelon of pieces; in a Talon Kardde/Jabba Crime Lord squad he can potentially run 12 and hit something for 50 at +10 at the start of the round. But I don't think you can build a reliable squad around something with a +2 attack. 2/10.

"kezzamachine" wrote:
T'surr with love?
Boris
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:50:37 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
IMO, Mace should've had Vapaad mastery or flurry. Both tends to create a really high ceiling for his play. having watched the design process it was clear that they wanted to hit a sweet spot of power to swing.

He went from double twin to GMA triple gaining and losing flurry. Designers finally decided on GMA triple and left on Flurry, i think it should have been left off.

You still get massive damage on 17+ but without the silliness of the knock on crits.

But saying that, the piece is a pretty cool rendition of Mace.

I had to go back and refresh my memory about this design, but it was an interesting walk down memory lane.

I knew when I started working on this set that I wanted to work on fixing what had come to be known as "Windu Syndrome" - that is, melee pieces that have a high point cost but are not really playable due to the rules of the game. If you sink too many points into a "rock" piece from the WotC era, your game is almost guaranteed to fall apart when that piece dies. What's more, it's almost a certainy that will happen quickly if the piece has little to no survivability.

The designers and playtesters who worked on that set with me were on board with the idea of trying to make a great rock piece. Timmer's analogy to Boba BH is accurate (no pun intended), and that was intentional. Luck is a big part of this game and an important part of V-set design is honoring Rob's philosophies and traditions for design. One think I used to ask myself when I worked on a stat was, "Is this something Rob would make for the game?" If it wasn't, I usually scrapped the idea or made revisions. Not every piece is perfect, obviously, but overall I felt pretty good about the designs I helped come up with.

"Critdu" went through a number of revisions and everyone had a say in how it turned out. To illustrate, most stat blocks get 1-2 pages of comments and discussion. It's rare for a figure to generate more than 3 pages of discussion. I think the record was Master Yoda because of his Commander Effect. Critdu had 5, plus some external debate from playtesting. Reflect was not on his card originally and was only added because he just wasn't getting the job done. FR2 needed a Force sink, and Deflect or Defense were too cheap at only 1 point.

I'll never apologize for the fact there's a Jedi figure that frightens people, and I am glad Mace Windu is that character. Yobuck can do more damage overall and has better survivability but no one ever calls him an NPE that I've seen.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:01:15 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Boris wrote:
Yobuck can do more damage overall and has better survivability but no one ever calls him an NPE that I've seen.

NPE.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:55:06 PM

Boris wrote:

I'll never apologize for the fact there's a Jedi figure that frightens people, and I am glad Mace Windu is that character. Yobuck can do more damage overall and has better survivability but no one ever calls him an NPE that I've seen.

Your statement is incorrect, Yobuck has a max damage output defined by the distance he moves. Mace can flurry infinitely.

There are lots of jedi figures to fear when they are placed opposite you, none of them have the ease of obtaining the potentially infinite loop that Mace LotLS has.

It is the wayward ceiling of his power that is all too obtainable that turns me off.

You may not wish to apologize for it, but i also won't apologize for calling it sloppy design.
Boris
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:21:26 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
Boris wrote:

Your statement is incorrect, Yobuck has a max damage output defined by the distance he moves. Mace can flurry infinitely.

There are lots of jedi figures to fear when they are placed opposite you, none of them have the ease of obtaining the potentially infinite loop that Mace LotLS has.

It is the wayward ceiling of his power that is all too obtainable that turns me off.

You may not wish to apologize for it, but i also won't apologize for calling it sloppy design.

Well then maybe you should go back and refresh your memory by reading the thread. Your comments influenced the final design, and my reference to Yobuck is a paraphrase of something you said in that discussion three years ago. :)
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:22:16 PM

As someone who has played Critdu in competitive play with at least as much success as anyone else (I think Josh Hink is the only one who's used him as much as me in competitive play), I truly think he needs to lose Flurry and drop his cost down to 60; then he'd be great. Or at the very least, have a restriction that Flurry can only trigger once per round (cost 62ish).

People often refer to the triple-17s I had vs Deri in 2012, and I completely agree: I would not have won that game without them. It wasn't fair to Deri at all, that all he could do was watch as my three dice rolls completely changed the game. He made no tactical error, and frankly, I was scrambling when I even moved Mace into that position anyway. There's no way I should've won that game. And whenever a piece's design has that potential (140 damage on someone else's turn) there's a problem. And this is coming from someone who loves this piece (and strong melee pieces in general)!!!

IMHO, what we need is to release a subset of 9 new VSet cards with errata which corrects the mistakes of past designs. Poggle, Daala, Panaka of Theed, Klat Assassins...and Mace Critdu. There have been a few mistakes in the V-Sets over the years (just a few...the vast majority of the V-Set project has been great, IMHO), and it would make sense to fix them. To err is human, but to refuse to acknowledge it is...just plain dumb.

To get back on topic, though, I agree with the rating: 10/10 on a power scale. A cost of 60 and losing Flurry would still keep him at a 10/10.
Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:09:24 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

IMHO, what we need is to release a subset of 9 new VSet cards with errata which corrects the mistakes of past designs. Poggle, Daala, Panaka of Theed, Klat Assassins...and Mace Critdu. There have been a few mistakes in the V-Sets over the years (just a few...the vast majority of the V-Set project has been great, IMHO), and it would make sense to fix them. To err is human, but to refuse to acknowledge it is...just plain dumb.

Wow! I am so for this!
I think we need to make a list of the pieces that should be changed for the sake of the balance and enjoyment of the game.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:22:47 PM

I'm not excusing myself from anything. There are things i've influenced and designed i'm not happy with. I will say that Mace had a lot more put on him than what I was suggesting. But regardless, i agree with Trevor.

I've often thought of addressing the miss-steps of the V-sets. I wonder how many figures people people would actually want to change?
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:36:38 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
I'm not excusing myself from anything. There are things i've influenced and designed i'm not happy with. I will say that Mace had a lot more put on him than what I was suggesting. But regardless, i agree with Trevor.

I've often thought of addressing the miss-steps of the V-sets. I wonder how many figures people people would actually want to change?

My (very small) list:
- Daala etc - adjustments as made are fine.
- Panaka of Theed can lose rapport.
- Klats could go from Cloaked to Stealth or lose self destruct?

I'm not a big fan of Poggle, but I'd actually oppose adjusting him because he's such a huge part of the Seps, in that subsequent Sep pieces will have been costed with Poggle in mind. V-sets have introduced an effective counter in Momaw Nadon.

Everything else is fine IMO.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:05:16 PM

Lord Krayt, from Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
114 points, Sith
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 23
Attack: 17
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Advantageous Attack (+10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Affinity (Non-Unique Imperial characters may be in your squad regardless of faction)
Vonduun Crab Armor 6 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)
Essence of Life (Force 2: When a living ally within 6 squares would be defeated, that ally makes a save of 11. On a success, that ally has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated.)
Recovery 60 (Force 3, replaces turn: Remove 60 damage from this character)
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)
Transfer Essence (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Choose 1 living ally. Remove that ally from play and place this character in that ally's space; that ally is defeated.)

Commander Effect
You can choose to activate only 1 character in each phase. (This includes Droid and Savage characters.)

Lord Krayt is an extreme piece; for 114 points (!!) you get 130 hit points and a great stat line, but no defensive abilities outside of Crab Armor, and a mere Force Renewal 1. He's not going to last long in an all-in brawl against 114 points of efficient characters. But what Lord Krayt does offer is an extremely potent combination - Transfer Essence and Master of the Force 2. This means that Lord Krayt can transfer essence into an ally at the start of a turn, make his triple attack, then transfer essence back to safety - as far as I know, no other piece in the game has such extreme movement potential in one move. He also has the potential for 120 damage without assistance, with Advantageous, Sith Rage, and Triple.

Despite this, 114 points is mega expensive - especially considering that he only has Force Renewal 1 - and I would have written him off as competitively unplayable if he hadn't stormed into the top 8 at GenCon 2013 in this build.

Quote:
Lord Krayt
Darth Revan, Sith Lord
24 points of filler

It's great to see such an extreme squad type doing so well - I'm sure it has its bad matchups, as you'd expect from an extreme squad. But Lord Krayt's a really unique, and a vibrant square in the rich tapestry of our game. 8/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:30:06 PM

That FR1 is what kills him, he burns thru FP so quickly...i wonder if Freedon, Force Spirit will help him by opening up a bigger battery...still Sith have so much going for them in the 50s-70s problAy not competitively, but The Dark Lord of the One Sith is very very fun!
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:02:02 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
As someone who has played Critdu in competitive play with at least as much success as anyone else (I think Josh Hink is the only one who's used him as much as me in competitive play), I truly think he needs to lose Flurry and drop his cost down to 60; then he'd be great. Or at the very least, have a restriction that Flurry can only trigger once per round (cost 62ish).

People often refer to the triple-17s I had vs Deri in 2012, and I completely agree: I would not have won that game without them. It wasn't fair to Deri at all, that all he could do was watch as my three dice rolls completely changed the game. He made no tactical error, and frankly, I was scrambling when I even moved Mace into that position anyway. There's no way I should've won that game. And whenever a piece's design has that potential (140 damage on someone else's turn) there's a problem. And this is coming from someone who loves this piece (and strong melee pieces in general)!!!

To get back on topic, though, I agree with the rating: 10/10 on a power scale. A cost of 60 and losing Flurry would still keep him at a 10/10.

While I agree that Mace is very very good for 65pts and that you got 140dmg on a figure in Gencon was a surprising come from behind win story, I really think he is fine where he is at and doesn't need an errata. The only thing I saw on him during playtesting that I thought was a little over the top was Force Absorb, but I'm fine with him having the chance to deal lots of dmg. If Mace doesn't role crits, he is over priced for 65pts. If he roles crits, then great! You paid 65pts to have that happen so why punish the figure for doing what you hope it can do when that happens. Mace costs 65pts. That is a lot of points to spend on a melee figure in a meta with a lot of good shooter squads. I always viewed Mace as 65pts the opponent is throwing at me hoping he roles a crit or 2. Usually his crits were overkill, and didn't impact the game to much. If you have a lot of figures grouped up next to each other, aren't you the one at fault for Mace going crazy and flurrying your entire squad? Counters to Mace are numerous, so I disagree that he needs a errata. I know its hard to get past the fact that he can do insane damage, and probably everyone has had a game where Mace completely destroyed their best piece in the game. But on the other hand how many times have we seen Mace not get his insane damage. I've had figures on my squads demolished by Mace, but I congratulate the opponent for it cause that is what he spent the points to have happen. If you want to invest in a strategy that relies on getting crits, best of luck to you in that, but its not a winning strategy and most often will not work.

But as for the other figures you mentioned, yeah I agree an errata should be made. Whoever thought 2pt geonosian bombs with SD 20 and just happen to be in a faction with San Hill was a good idea probably needs to re-evaluate their design skills. I'm surprised Poggle even made it past playtesting. Panaka, was in a mini-set that is know to have suffered from lack of playtesting, so I'm all for re-evaluating that set and applying erratas where need be on some of the figures.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:57:57 AM

Mando wrote:
If you want to invest in a strategy that relies on getting crits, best of luck to you in that, but its not a winning strategy and most often will not work.

Confused
It did work...

An errata set could be a blessing or curse. If it balances the game and makes it more fun and more people play/keep playing - awesome. But it could go the other way... a player's personal NPE doesn't make the errata list and what they like to play gets nerfed. There's also potential for confusion - but that seems unlikely at this point.

My errata set:

Zygerrian Slaver
Daala
Snowtrooper Officer (the 3 that already have errata)
Panaka of Theed
Poggle (No Rapport and/or SD10 instead of 20)
Bastila (Start with one less Force)
Mace (Just losing Force Absorb)
Klatooinian Assassin (Lower attack to 8 or 9, and either switch from Cloaked to Stealth or from SD20 to SD10)

Not sure on the last one...
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:28:58 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Mando wrote:
If you want to invest in a strategy that relies on getting crits, best of luck to you in that, but its not a winning strategy and most often will not work.

Confused
It did work...

An errata set could be a blessing or curse. If it balances the game and makes it more fun and more people play/keep playing - awesome. But it could go the other way... a player's personal NPE doesn't make the errata list and what they like to play gets nerfed. There's also potential for confusion - but that seems unlikely at this point.

My errata set:

Zygerrian Slaver
Daala
Panaka of Theed
Klatooinian Assassin (Lower attack to 8 or 9, and either switch from Cloaked to Stealth or from SD20 to SD10)

You could also do some sort of a positive errata...like giving Galen Marek Rapport -5 Rebels or something else that helps a piece that could see competitive play with just one little change.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:03:20 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Mando wrote:

Confused
It did work...

My errata set:

Zygerrian Slaver
Daala
Panaka of Theed

You could also do some sort of a positive errata...like giving Galen Marek Rapport -5 Rebels or something else that helps a piece that could see competitive play with just one little change.

I think if you gave Galen Marek Independant Outfit and he had Camaraderie with Kota to give him Independant Outfit also, i think you'd see those 2 used a lot in Talon squads.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:06:45 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Mando wrote:

Confused
It did work...

I said "most often will not work"....meaning sometimes it will work but most times not. If you don't roll crits, you don't win. You can't predict when crits are rolled and thus there is no real strategy with it. It's just pure luck.
Boris
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:17:41 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

First let me say I don't think this Mace was a mistake. You obviously have a different opinion but opinions aren't facts, and to call others "dumb" for not agreeing with your assertion that they made a mistake they don't believe they made is just plain arrogant.

I will say there are pieces I helped design that I think did end up turning out poorly but Mace wasn't one of them. So I do acknowledge the mistakes when I see them.

Secondly, I think your suggestion would be a huge mistake. Where do you draw the line on what gets errata'ed and reprinted? You listed 5 pieces, but where does it stop? Should we errata WotC figures while we're at it? Once you change the pieces you listed, then something else rises to the top and will it have to be errata'ed as well?

If there are pieces that are demonstrated to be overwhelming the game to the point that participants MUST play it or play against it, then ban those elements and create alternate versions of them to replace them. It's that simple. And make sure before you make replacements you have adequate numbers of playtested games lest you end up with the same problem six months down the post-printing road.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:30:34 PM

Mando wrote:

I think if you gave Galen Marek Independant Outfit and he had Camaraderie with Kota to give him Independant Outfit also, i think you'd see those 2 used a lot in Talon squads.

Galen Gets IO from V-set Kota, but I agree that Kota should have had it as well (or a way to get it with Galen)

Still the Rapport on Kota and the stat boost is really nice for Galen and the Rebels.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:52:12 PM

Mando wrote:

While I agree that Mace is very very good for 65pts and that you got 140dmg on a figure in Gencon was a surprising come from behind win story, I really think he is fine where he is at and doesn't need an errata. The only thing I saw on him during playtesting that I thought was a little over the top was Force Absorb, but I'm fine with him having the chance to deal lots of dmg. If Mace doesn't role crits, he is over priced for 65pts. If he roles crits, then great! You paid 65pts to have that happen so why punish the figure for doing what you hope it can do when that happens. Mace costs 65pts. That is a lot of points to spend on a melee figure in a meta with a lot of good shooter squads. I always viewed Mace as 65pts the opponent is throwing at me hoping he roles a crit or 2. Usually his crits were overkill, and didn't impact the game to much. If you have a lot of figures grouped up next to each other, aren't you the one at fault for Mace going crazy and flurrying your entire squad? Counters to Mace are numerous, so I disagree that he needs a errata. I know its hard to get past the fact that he can do insane damage, and probably everyone has had a game where Mace completely destroyed their best piece in the game. But on the other hand how many times have we seen Mace not get his insane damage. I've had figures on my squads demolished by Mace, but I congratulate the opponent for it cause that is what he spent the points to have happen. If you want to invest in a strategy that relies on getting crits, best of luck to you in that, but its not a winning strategy and most often will not work.

But as for the other figures you mentioned, yeah I agree an errata should be made. Whoever thought 2pt geonosian bombs with SD 20 and just happen to be in a faction with San Hill was a good idea probably needs to re-evaluate their design skills. I'm surprised Poggle even made it past playtesting. Panaka, was in a mini-set that is know to have suffered from lack of playtesting, so I'm all for re-evaluating that set and applying erratas where need be on some of the figures.

I've admitted that Poggle was a mistake and I have re-evaluated my design philosophy accordingly. Further, I still believe Mace was an error (however, i realize its an opinion and don't really begrudge people who like him and want to play him). However, I just can't reconcile your two points. You like one NPE because you like how it plays and think its limited (even though it squashes a crap ton of pieces) but hate the other because you can't figure it out? I'm not sure, you don't really say, you just outright blasted the idea and whoever was stupid enough to make it Cool .
If any faction could get away with cheap bombs it the seps because their whole game is about out activating. Furthermore, poggle bombs have never won the Gen Con champs whereas Mace has. It dies to disruptive, ABM and decent shooters. So on the strength of results, your post doesn't hold up.

I'd be willing to change both or neither. I must've compiled and deleted my lists of errata's last night about 20 times because i kept coming back to the same point, which Dennis just made.

For prosperity.
Boris wrote:
Where do you draw the line on what gets errata'ed and reprinted? You listed 5 pieces, but where does it stop? Should we errata WotC figures while we're at it? Once you change the pieces you listed, then something else rises to the top and will it have to be errata'ed as well?

I will also add that what do you actually change on a piece? how do you get consensus? Do we vote? Make a list? How many votes does a piece get until it's errata'd?

The basic design premise is that these problems shouldn't be put on the community, its for the design team to
ensure the game is balanced and fun and that takes humility and restraint.

This is difficult when you want everyone to be playing the figs you designed (every designer desires this, its the only draw to designing, if you need proof, see Sithborgs piece on the design of vset 8). However, the process isn't perfect and so the results arn't perfect. It did take 6 v sets until something was so imbalanced that it needed an extensive post release rewrite and that's a decent result for a bunch of volunteers.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:23:44 PM

I don't think we 'need' an errata set. I have no idea if it would do more harm than good. I like the game. Things could be a little better with a few tweaks, but I don't think they are necessary. I would rather get more new pieces than errata. But if it results in more players I would be for it.