RegisterDonateLogin

Just made a deal that'll keep the Empire out of here forever.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 6:20:43 PM
Groups: Member

urbanjedi wrote:
You can always shoot the diplomat if you can arrange it so it is the only character you can see

That's how my diplomats die 90% of the time.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:27:59 PM

Nym, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
48 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 17
Attack: 10
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Unique
Disruptive (Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Grenades 40 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 40 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Rapport (Characters with Mercenary cost 1 less when in the same squad as this character)
Recon (Roll twice for initiative once per round, choosing either roll, if any character with Recon in the same squad has line of sight to an enemy)

Commander Effect
Non-Unique followers with Mercenary within 6 squares gain Double Attack.

Nym is one of those pieces that was once relatively significant, but whose time is over - like Prince Xizor, he's too expensive to leave out the back, especially when he offers Disruptive, but too fragile to leave anywhere near the frontlines. He does have a bunch of interesting stuff - Grenades 40 obviously has potential, Disruptive is very significant, he has Rapport and a CE for Mercenaries, and he's a respectable attacker with 30 damage and double attack, although his +10 attack is too low to be reliable. The v-sets have introduced some new options for Fringe Disruptive, as in the WOTC era Nym was the only Fringe Disruptive piece, and if you want to squeeze Disruptive in a faction without Disruptive, HK-47 Assassin Droid is cheaper and has better stats. You probably could get a decent Tier 3 squad out of Nym, Talon Karrde IB, and some Gotals, and that's probably his best shot of seeing play.

My favourite Nym moment is the Nymbuck squad - one of Bloomilk's more heated squad debates: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/91648/nymbuck

Nym does offer some interesting abilities, but he's way too expensive and fragile to have any relevance to the modern game. 3/10.
Amadeus
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:44:52 PM

Nym is that one piece I want to use so badly but can't feasibly see it working. He's got a wide range of useful abilites, he's got synergies for his own subfaction, a decent attacker, and straight up just looks cool. He's just way too overpriced to make it worth it, unfortunately. I swear I've made a dozen private squads with him trying a number of ways to make him useful but his cost always seems to get in the way. He's a very unique and fun-looking piece, but I completely agree with your rating.
Weeks
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 11:28:32 PM

I have lost to Nym twice. Once was before I'd ever seen disruptive used before and once was to failing end of round/start of round Nades with Luke/Leia/Han so they all die. Other than that I'll stick with "Nym isn't good".
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:54:28 AM

Nym was insanely good in TILE WARS back in the day.

I also saw him in surprisingly decent squad with Mithrawn, Imp Gov Tarkin, Jabba CL, and a handful of gotal mercs. Gotals can do 60 anytime and intuition helps you control them as mercs. Nym can do a respectable 120 damage at a +14 attack.

Still not tier one, but it was the best I saw in that era with him.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 1:53:32 PM

Elite Old Republic Soldier, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
12 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 14
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Soldier (Counts as a character named Old Republic Soldier)
Cunning Attack +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Deceptive (+10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

I don't know that I'd build a squad around the Elite Old Republic Soldier; an entire squad of 20 hit point, low defense pieces is asking for trouble. But their damage potential is certainly tempting - with an Old Republic Commander for double, an Arkanian Jedi General for prideful, and a Czerka for twin, they're putting out a whopping 160 a turn at +13 with Cunning. In particular, I don't think the Commander is worth it, as their chances of surviving in the open for a round to make an attack are minimal, but if you're playing a squad with Arkanian Jedi General or other Soldier support, it's well worth considering an Elite Old Republic Soldier or two as supplementary attackers. 7/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 3:47:37 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

And you can add in Aric Jorgan for Squad Firepower bring that damage up even more! I built a couple squads with them that I never got to play but they look tempting on paper like you said.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 5:48:54 PM

Covert Ops Clone Trooper, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
22 points, Republic
Hit Points: 40
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Order 66
Advantageous Cover (+8 Defense from cover instead of +4)
Covert Ops Training (If an enemy character within 6 squares has moved this turn, it must attempt a save of 11 before making an attack. On a failure, the attack is cancelled.)
Intuition (Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to speed before any other character activates)
Stable Footing (Not slowed by difficult terrain or low objects)

Covert Ops Training was a special ability that gathered quite a lot of attention on release - it's somewhat of a NPE (Negative Play Experience) to have to roll a save of 11 before making an attack, even though it helps keep other NPEs like the Lancer and Yobuck at bay. Having said that, the Covert Ops Clone Trooper hasn't even been glimpsed in competitive play. This isn't surprising, since at 22 points, it offers nothing of note except Covert Ops Training; it's fragile and it's a negligible attacker. It's also costed so you can't bring it with reserves, unless you're playing Queen Amidala and Supreme Chancellor Palpatine.

The most interesting combo for the Covert Trooper is General Obi-Wan Kenobi on Boga - he gives Stealth to Order 66 followers, which can become super-stealth with Bacara. It's obviously a very expensive combination though - at exactly 100 points for Obi, Bacara, and the COCT, you don't have enough points for damage dealers and tech in a viable 200 point squad, although it might be a legitimately powerful combination at higher point levels or Epics. At 200 points, Covert Ops Training on the COCT is a potentially very powerful ability on a very underwhelming piece, 5/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:12:19 PM

COCT was a decent option in Daala squads before LIN and Buzz droids came out. There was virtually no other anti strafe option.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:52:43 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
COCT was a decent option in Daala squads before LIN and Buzz droids came out. There was virtually no other anti strafe option.

He's still about the best Yobuck protection available too, right? It's just that spending 15 points on Disra and 22 points on the COCT means that you're way less efficient against other builds - you have less troopers than other Daala builds, you don't have Pellaeon to break down tanks...
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 7:06:00 PM

More importantly, with the rapport errata it means you can't really afford it anymore. Even before I don't think it was the best build but now it's both replaced by the LIN and it doesn't fit anyway. IMO.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:48:49 AM

In my opinion this was a big wasted opportunity for a much better ability. There was so much hate over strafe and galloping attack, that certain designers were blindly throwing abilities out there to try and weaken them, but weren't cautious enough to avoid serious collateral damage. Much like Jedi Reflexes (which SHOULD have been what force-attuned reflexes is now, and eventually they realized it and created that ability), Overt Ops Training should have been something more like this:

Covert Ops Training (If an enemy character within 6 squares has moved and attacked this turn, it must attempt a save of 11 before making an attack on a different enemy. On a failure, the attack is cancelled.)

This way it wouldn't screw with all melee. It only effects abilities that allow a character to move and attack multiple enemies (the original intent). As it is now, the ability is MUCH more powerful, and therefore had to be overcosted. So yes, it is not "broken" since the 2 pieces with it are overcosted, but it sure would have been better if it was closer to the modified ability above and at a reasonable cost point. Not only might this piece see more play, but the ability might be used again as well.

Designers tend to just try and prove their ideas aren't broken. But sometimes certain ideas, even if they are costed out of being competitive, still aren't a good idea.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:36:03 PM

According to my spreadsheet, I've covered more uniques (181) than non-uniques (166) so far, so I'm making an effort to cover non-uniques for a few days to even it.....

Clone Trooper with Repeating Blaster, from Galaxy at War

Quote:
23 points, Republic
Hit Points: 20
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Order 66
Quadruple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 3 extra attacks instead of moving)

Like the Elite Old Republic Soldier yesterday, the Clone Trooper with Repeating Blaster is very fragile for its cost, but like the Elite Old Republic Soldier it has enough potential damage output that it can be worth throwing one into a squad as a supplementary attacker. And it's very fragile; it's actually the second most expensive 20 hit point piece in the game - and Lobot comes with 20 points of reinforcements, so he's a fringe case (or should that be a Fringe case?).

The obvious synergy provider for the Clone Trooper with Repeating Blaster is Captain Rex - with GMA, it can make its four attacks on the move. After that, there are also plenty of ways to fix its low attack - GOWK, General Skywalker for Momentum, or Grand Master Yoda all can help. Even with an attack boost, the Clone Trooper with RB is still maxing out at a +11 or 12 attack, so it's not the most reliable attacker, but it's at least good at clearing out fodder. On a side note, he's one of my favourite sculpts, and he's also one of the most sought after uncommons out there - he often costs more than a Mouse Droid. It's pretty scary to mainline a 20 hit point, 23 point piece, into a squad if you're in a Lancer or Yobuck heavy meta, but the Clone Trooper with Repeating Blaster does offer enough for the points that it can be worthwhile in some builds. 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:10:46 AM

Weequay Mercenary, from Clone Strike

Quote:
5 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Mercenary (This character can move only if he cannot make an attack from his starting space)

The Weequay Mercenary has a weird combination of abilities; Mercenary is unusual on a melee fodder piece, as there aren't a whole lot of drawbacks to a 10 hit point piece having mercenary, as it's not going to want to risk an attack of opportunity. At the same time, there aren't many useful synergies it can access through Mercenary - Nym doesn't help, since it already has Double, while it's unlikely to get the chance to stay still to benefit from the Mercenary Commander's Deadeye.

As a cheap 10 damage piece with melee, the Weequay's best synergies are likely the Ithorian Commander and Han in STA in Rebels, but it's totally outshone by the 3 point Rodian Brute, which is 40% cheaper and has a very comparable stat-line. The Weequay Mercenary has a bunch of interesting stuff - a high attack for a 5 point piece and double attack are both assets - and he is better than his Bloomilk rating of 3.76 would suggest*, 4/10.

* I know he's only getting 4 here, but Bloomilk's ratings obviously tend to be less extreme, and a rating of 3.76 currently makes him the 24th lowest ranked piece on Bloomilk.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:26:44 AM

If you give him Evade in Rebel or NR, he has access to GMA. That makes his Double Attack more likely to work. That means you can get more damage out of him per point than you can get out of a brute. It's still better to take the extra activations, but I think that option bumps him up to a 4.

(Where are the definitions you made for ratings between 2 and 6? I know they're in the thread somewhere but I couldn't find them. Perhaps put them in the first post?)
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:45:57 AM

I've used them in a swap squad before. Thrawn, and CL Jabba makes them hit for 40 in a turn. Swap gets them in place then you do the beginning if round/end of round double and they can take down Dash RS, Thrawn, Panaka, Cad Bane, etc. And that's not even counting the Weequay Leader that gives mighty swing.

Nym still gives them rapport, and at 4pts, they're worth throwing one or 2 in to round out a Nym squad.

Still not competitive, but I agree that they deserve more than a 2
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:09:02 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
they're worth throwing one or 2 in to round out a Nym squad.

Possibly the lowest form of praise one could give.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:43:12 PM

Yeah, I'm fine with the 4; double on a 5 point piece is probably more use than I give it credit for, although I still think the Mercenary synergies aren't worth much. You probably could have done something semi-competitive with them while Zygerrians were legal.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:11:33 PM

Imperial Dignitary, from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
5 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 12
Attack: 0

Special Abilities
Diplomat (If an attacker has line of sight to any enemies without Diplomat, this character is not a legal target and does not count as the nearest enemy, even if adjacent)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Diplomat is a very useful Special Ability - Diplomats can provide walking cover, they can block up parts of the board against melee pieces, they can prevent enemy characters from using their double attack or from using cannon shots. The Imperial Dignitary is the only non-unique diplomat to have built in damage - Camaasi Nobles and Rodian Diplomats can only do damage if they get a damage boost from a commander effect. And they can actually hit quite hard, albeit only in melee - they're at +4 for 20s against an activated enemy, and in a Daala squad they're at +8 for 30s. All of the WOTC 5 point, non-unique diplomats are very good pieces - the Camaasi is obviously a popular choice for Lobot reinforcements, and the Rodian Diplomat with It's A Trap is a very useful addition to most Republic builds, so the Imperial Dignitary is arguably the least used of the three, but that doesn't mean it's not a really good piece. Imperial Dignitaries even featured in this year's GenCon runner up squad - they're potent attackers for 5 points in the build, help the stealth Elite Scout Troopers have cover, and can block up hallways against pieces like Yobuck.

Quote:
--"Only Tarkins Finest" 2nd Place Gencon 2014--
27 Admiral Daala
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Security Officer Stormtrooper
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
65 Elite Scout Trooper x5
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
15 Imperial Dignitary x3
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Preferred Reserves:
(Admiral Daala) 14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
(Admiral Daala) 5 Imperial Dignitary
(200pts. 18 activations)

Diplomat's very powerful, and a Diplomat that can do some damage is even better; the Imperial Dignitary doesn't fit into every Imperial build, but it's still a very strong piece, 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:05:05 PM

Trandoshan Hunt Master, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
25 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Ambush (This character can move and then make all his attacks against 1 enemy who has not activated this round)
Bounty Hunter +2 (+2 Attack against Unique enemies)
Double Claw Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving; both attacks must be against adjacent enemies)
Regeneration 10 (If this character doesn't move on his turn, remove 10 damage from him at the end of that turn)
Rend +10 (If both of his attacks hit the same adjacent enemy, this character's second attack gets +10 Damage)

Commander Effect
Trandoshan allies gain Bounty Hunter +2.

Bounty Hunter followers within 6 squares gain Ambush.

The Trandoshan Hunt Master was one of two community designed pieces created for the Command of the Galaxy set. It's a reasonably standard Trandoshan with stuff like Regeneration, Rend +10, and Double Claw Attack. I'm not such a big fan of the command effect, where Trandoshans gain Bounty Hunter, and then Bounty Hunters gain Ambush. I guess Ambush does help to set up Double Claw Attack on the Trandoshans, especially in a Talon Karrde Fringe squad where they can also use Talon's CE to help set up for an ambush attack.

It's much more tempting, however, to use the Trandoshan Hunt Master for its Commander Effect, which grants Bounty Hunter followers Ambush - it's a movement breaker for fringe shooters like Durge Jedi Hunter and Boba Mercenary, who can get in position for a big twin attack in Seps. Having said that, it's not that broken - it's easier to position Durge just using Durge on Speeder with dismount, and Boba Mercenary is outclassed by newer shooters like Cad Bane and Dash in most situations - I would have preferred to see something that focused on Trandoshans exclusively, giving them something like shields or rapport. It does possibly open up some casual builds, but the Trandoshan Hunt Master isn't a good enough attacker for 25 points, and its Commander Effect isn't useful enough for any one particular squad, to justify competitive play, 6/10.