RegisterDonateLogin

Roger, Roger!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:30:15 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't think we 'need' an errata set. I have no idea if it would do more harm than good. I like the game. Things could be a little better with a few tweaks, but I don't think they are necessary. I would rather get more new pieces than errata. But if it results in more players I would be for it.

That's kind of where i'm at. There is a lot of power to be found in all places and virtually every squad has a bad match up.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:59:42 PM

Praetorite Vong Scout, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
9 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 11
Attack: 1
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Praetorite Vong Warrior (Counts as a character named Praetorite Vong Warrior)
Cloaked (If this character has cover, he cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Forward Positioning (Set up anywhere on your half of the battle map)
Pathfinder (Allies are not slowed by difficult terrain within 6 squares of this character)
Recon (Roll twice for initiative once per round, choosing either roll, if any character with Recon in the same squad has line of sight to an enemy)
Stable Footing (Not slowed by difficult terrain or low objects)

With all the furore over Daala, it's easy to forget that Command of the Galaxy bought in a second significant swarm squad to the table - the Vong direct damage swarm. The Warrior Caste Subcommander from the same set is the capstone of the squad, handing out Blast Bug (Replaces Attacks, range 6: deal 20 damage to target enemy; this damage cannot be prevented) to all Yuuzhan Vong Warriors. There are plenty of passable Warriors to choose from - the new Domain Lah Warriors with Speed 8 and 40 hit points are another excellent option - but Praetorite Vong Scouts have arguably been the most popular so far. With 10 hit points, they're very vulnerable to Momaw Nadon, to strafe, and to gallop, but they also have some very strong advantages; Cloaked, Forward Positioning, and Stable Footing all help them to get into position to Blast Bug safely, while the Praetorite Vong Warrior SA means that they only cost 7 when they're in a squad with Prefect Da'Gara.

A squad of Blast Bugging Scouts is nasty - the otherwise uber-robust Darth Zannah has a very limited life expectancy against them. It's also significant that they don't require the Yammosk - although you can bring it in via Reinforcements if there's a particularly juicy CE (Tarpals!) to steal. We saw a couple of Praetorite Scout swarms at the NZ National Tournament this year, and while neither quite cracked the top 4, they performed very creditably, pushing the Daala squads that made the final very hard.

Quote:
Darth_Moore: Vong: Prefect, Warrior Caste Subcommander, Quorreal, Ossus Protector, Praetorite Scout * 10
Bev: Vong, Prefect, Quorreal, Warrior Caste Subcommander, PB Soldier * 2, YV Seer, Scout * 7, Shamed One

The Praetorite Vong Scout is an important part of a significant new squad type. They are hurt a little by the change to 10 point gambit, as previously they were easily able to gain first round gambit, but they're still a handful for a lot of squads. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out as the best option for Blast Bug swarms with the Domain Lah Warrior around, but they're a really strong tool for the Vong, 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:31:08 PM

Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin, from Showdown at Teth Palace

Quote:
43 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 20
Attack: 12
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Loner (+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Rolling Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, she can immediately move 1 square and then make 1 attack against another adjacent enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 3
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

She doesn't have much specific support in the Separatists, but Asajj Ventress is a great piece - one of the strongest melee pieces that WOTC released. Stealth provides her with some defense against shooters, and with Double, Twin, Rolling Cleave, and Sith Rage, she packs a dangerous punch once she gets close. Stealth does open her up to the Bith Black Sun Vigo/Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo combo - the Bith gives her Evade and the Twi'lek gives her Greater Mobile Attack, which gives her much better mobility, although it's always difficult to set up in a faction without booming voice and it means that she loses Loner. The Separatists don't have a movement breaker for her, but they are strong at out-activating everything, so it is possible to set her up at the end of the round for a strike at the start of the next round. Apart from the lack of movement, she doesn't have any defense once pieces get within 6 squares, but 110 hit points and stealth, she's robust enough to get a flurry of damage off in most circumstances.

This Ricky Heck squad came 2nd in the Charlotte Regional in 2011, and there's no reason why it hasn't enjoyed more play - it's a very strong Separatist build:

Quote:
--Twin What? Mouse Who?--
43 Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin
36 Darth Sidious
31 IG Lancer Droid
27 Lobot
10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer
9 Poggle the Lesser
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
32 Geonosian Drone x16
(200pts. 24 activations)

Asajj would be an easy 10 if she was in a faction with movement breakers, and she's also competing for game time with Asajj Nightsister, arguably an even stronger piece with her access to Bounty Hunter synergies. But regardless, Asajj Separatist Assassin is still an intimidating melee beat, 9/10.
juice man
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 12:05:41 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I've taken the Old Republic Captain down to a 6. I was thinking low 7, so I'm fine with a 6. With a few tweaks - rangeless CE, that thing where all allies count as having the same name for squad abilities - he'd actually be a really worthwhile piece for the OR, I reckon. Although if you want to boost non-uniques in the Old Republic, the Arkanaian Jedi General is probably the first place to go.
The Arkanian Jedi General does not boost non-uniques, he only boosts OR Troopers and Soldiers. Made a really great squad and jak pointed out this tiny flaw.ThumbDown (this is a little behind, was gone a couple days)
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 8:26:50 PM

juice man wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
I've taken the Old Republic Captain down to a 6. I was thinking low 7, so I'm fine with a 6. With a few tweaks - rangeless CE, that thing where all allies count as having the same name for squad abilities - he'd actually be a really worthwhile piece for the OR, I reckon. Although if you want to boost non-uniques in the Old Republic, the Arkanaian Jedi General is probably the first place to go.

The Arkanian Jedi General does not boost non-uniques, he only boosts OR Troopers and Soldiers. Made a really great squad and jak pointed out this tiny flaw.ThumbDown (this is a little behind, was gone a couple days)

Sure, I mainly just didn't want to make my sentence too complicated. It would be cool to see a nice melee piece that works in Arkanian Jedi General squads - I do like them, and would like to see them fleshed out. Maybe some spoiler type abilities for them too, since it's OR.

TheHutts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 10:38:32 PM

BoShek, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
11 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 13
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Unique
Gunner (Can combine fire with adjacent allies who have Mounted Weapon)
Industrial Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 character with Mounted Weapon)
Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 Droid character)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

BoShek combines three of the most useless special abilities in the game - namely Gunner, Repair 10, and Industrial Repair 10 - into one package. With stealth and 30 hit points, he's relatively tough for an 11 point tech piece, but what he brings to the table just isn't worthwhile. He has at least one rabid fan out there in Bloomilkland - MasterShaper has built 58 different public squads featuring him - but even at 11 points his abilities just aren't worthwhile, and there are cheaper uniques to trigger Impulsive abilities, like Wicket and Salacious Crumb. 2/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:28:12 PM

Snowtrooper Commander, from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
14 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 18
Attack: 8

Commander Effect
Followers within 6 squares whose names contain Snowtrooper get +4 Attack and gain Squad Assault.

The Snowtrooper Commander does exactly one thing - he raises the attacks of Snowtroopers, at least by a +4, and with an extra +4 if they can meet the conditions for Squad Assault. He's always seen in tandem with the Snowtrooper Officer, who makes it easier to meet the conditions for squad abilities and who also grants Squad Firepower. He's always been a good piece - 14 points for a potential +8 attack boost is a great deal - but Snowtrooper squads only hit the big time with Admiral Daala's Charging Fire providing a movement breaker. Suddenly, Snowtroopers jumped into the mainstream - their ability to run 12 and shoot pieces with a very high attack meant that they were a handful for a lot of squads during the 2014 Regional season.

This FlyingArrow squad won the PA/MD regional (although the errata to the Snowtrooper Officer means that you can't squeeze as many Snowtroopers in now):
Quote:
--Bare Bones Snowtroopers--
27 Admiral Daala
14 Snowtrooper Commander
12 LIN Demolitionmech
12 Snowtrooper Officer
8 Mas Amedda
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
105 Snowtrooper x21
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 30 activations)

While this build came 2nd in the NZ Nationals this year, with its name inspired by nasty things that my mentally disturbed neighbour shouts over my fence when he's been drinking too much. Again, the errata means that you can't fit as many Snowtroopers in:

Quote:
--...and that's why I don't respect you.--
27 Admiral Daala
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Security Officer Stormtrooper
14 Snowtrooper Commander
12 Snowtrooper Officer
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
90 Snowtrooper x18
3 Mouse Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 28 activations)

Even with the errata to the Snowtrooper Officer, Snowtrooper builds still pack a lot of power, and the attack boosts from the Snowtrooper Commander are a key component in them; although results have showed this year that builds featuring the Repulsor Sled have proved more effective at the very highest level. The Snowtrooper Commander has always been a very competent piece, but has really shone this year since he's gained the necessary support, 9/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:34:25 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

"This build" above is by TheHutts himself.
harryg
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:47:36 PM

[quote=TheHutts] with its name inspired by nasty things that my mentally disturbed neighbour shouts over my fence when he's been drinking too much.
I would like to hear the story behind this please XD
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:02:50 PM

harryg wrote:
[quote=TheHutts] with its name inspired by nasty things that my mentally disturbed neighbour shouts over my fence when he's been drinking too much.
I would like to hear the story behind this please XD

The first day we moved into our house, we called the police because there were shouts of "put down that knife" coming from next door (which I think is quite a reasonable thing to do....).

Ever since, our neighbour has been upset about it - he's an adult with mental health difficulties, who lives with his parents, and I think he's painted me in his mind as his arch-enemy.

There have been a few odd incidents with him over the years. He's thrown a Bible at me from over the fence, he's put Monopoly money and other weird stuff in our letterbox, he's played a single Michael McDonald song loudly on repeat between 11pm and 1am at night, and sometimes shouts stuff when he's been drinking. One morning at 4am I had insomnia and was up, and he unleashed a particularly vehement string of abuse. I can't repeat it in a forum, but one particular phrase included "and that's why I don't respect you."

For the record, it's not too big of a deal - we're planning to move house in a few months anyway after being there nearly seven years, he hasn't done anything directly physically threatening apart from the Bible throw, we get on fine with his parents, and I don't think calling the police will help his mindset.
harryg
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:22:08 PM

Sounds like a Ned Flanders-esque guy BigGrin
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:42:41 PM

harryg wrote:
Sounds like a Ned Flanders-esque guy BigGrin
Sounds more like Al Bundy or Beavis or Butthead to me. Razz
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:06:32 PM

Felucian Shaman, from Vengeance

Quote:
18 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 16
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Parry (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Stealth (If this character has cover, it does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Swarm +2 (+2 Attack against a target for each allied character with Swarm adjacent to that target)

Force Powers
Force 1
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time it activates)
Shaman Aura (Force 1, replaces turn; Until the start of this character's next turn, this character gains the following Force ability: Felucian followers within 6 squares cannot have their Hit Points reduced below 10; save 6. Allied Felucians remove 10 damage when they activate within 6 squares of this character.)

Commander Effect
Felucian followers gain Swarm +2.

Before the v-sets, Felucians had their uses; among other things, they were popular as a cheap force user to trigger Anakin Solo's Unleash The Force. But the Felucian Shaman makes Felucian swarms an interesting proposition - his main purpose is his Force Ability Shaman Aura, which prevents Felucian followers within 6 squares from having their Hit Points reduced below 10; save 6. This does have some interesting applications - little 7 point Felucians can be used as damage soaks for some pieces. This includes Luke Master of the Order, who grants adjacent Force Users Luke's Bodyguard, Padme Amidala, who grants adjacent followers bodyguard, and the recent Palpatine Reborn, whose Absolute Devotion can pass damage onto allies within 6 squares. In all these cases, the Felucians can take damage on behalf of another piece, then shrug it off with a save of 6.

The combination can be potentially frustrating, but it is somewhat on the gimmicky side. It's very vulnerable to Ysalamari, which is popular in the meta at the moment, while because Shaman Aura replaces turn, the Shaman needs to use a movement breaker to help with positioning. With range 6 on the force ability, it needs to be near the fray to be effective, which means that with a movement breaker or accurate shooter it's possible to pick off the Shaman or stop its Force Ability. But the Felucan Shaman introduces some interesting new builds to the game and brings an under-loved piece back to the table; what's not to like. 8/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:11:25 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Also, because it is "within 6", the Shaman must be up in the fray. His Force ability can be turned off if he spends a Force point, rolls a save, or takes damage.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:12:58 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Also, because it is "within 6", the Shaman must be up in the fray. His Force ability can be turned off if he spends a Force point, rolls a save, or takes damage.

Maybe that Timmerb build on page 15 where everyone gains bodyguard is his strongest option? Otherwise the Shaman is vulnerable to an accurate shooter too.
Deathwielded
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 6:10:00 AM

TheHutts wrote:
BoShek, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
11 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 13
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Unique
Gunner (Can combine fire with adjacent allies who have Mounted Weapon)
Industrial Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 character with Mounted Weapon)
Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 Droid character)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

BoShek combines three of the most useless special abilities in the game - namely Gunner, Repair 10, and Industrial Repair 10 - into one package. With stealth and 30 hit points, he's relatively tough for an 11 point tech piece, but what he brings to the table just isn't worthwhile. He has at least one rabid fan out there in Bloomilkland - MasterShaper has built 58 different public squads featuring him - but even at 11 points his abilities just aren't worthwhile, and there are cheaper uniques to trigger Impulsive abilities, like Wicket and Salacious Crumb. 2/10.

Plus Scrumb and Wicket actually hurt your opponent and thus gives a reason why your opponent will want to kill them (thus triggering Impulsive SA's)
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 12:30:28 PM

Mandalore the Ultimate, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
75 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 19
Attack: 12
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Unique
Charging Fire (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then attack)
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, he can make 1 immediate extra attack)
Mandalorian Conscription (All characters in your squad are considered Mandalorian for the rest of the skirmish)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Commander Effect
Mandalorian allies gain Charging Fire.

Mandalore the Ultimate is one heck of a piece - with Charging Fire and base 30 damage he can run 12 squares and lay down 60 damage on a piece. Mandalorian Conscription is one of the coolest CEs in the games, as all the characters in your squad become Mandalorian, and therefore eligible for his Charging Fire CE as well as other Mando CEs like the Captain's Twin.

But he comes with a big catch - at 75 points he's a big chunk of your squad, and with no defensive abilities it's hard to get enough damage out of him before he drops. The WOTC Mandalorians were infamous for having good but overly expensive pieces prior to the v-sets, and Ultimate is a good example - the Rebels have access to Charging Fire via a 25 point piece, but the Mandos had to pay through the nose for it. On the overall scheme of things he's still aroudn the average IMO - a 130 hit point shooter with a good CE is far from the worst piece out there, even at 75 points. If he was cheaper and had a defensive ability like Beskar'gaam, he'd be strong, but 75 points for him is too much to build around in a competitive squad. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:24:44 PM

Polis Massa Medic, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
9 points, Republic
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 11
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Heal 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from a living character)

Heal always feels like one of those n00b-honeytrap abilities - when you see a detailed description like this:

Quote:
Rodian Trader gives Commanders/Uggies heal 10. Kybuck moves out. ARFs get Gambit and Recon. Recon gives Lobot Reserves. Yoda gallops then uses momentum. Once Kybuck takes damage Panaka swaps him with Ani. Tarpals allows everyone to heal Kybuck twice (If you get bacta tank you can heal 40 damage) while Ani is fighting. Panaka then swaps again. Ani heals while Kybuck fights. So my 2 beatsticks fight, heal, fight, heal, ect. Kybuck and Ani fight, swap, and come back with full HP!

It's obviously not going to work in real game play, at least against a competitive level squad. If you drop General Skywalker in the middle of your opponent's Tier 1 squad by himself, he's going to die in about 10 seconds. The notable competitive-level heal piece is Dr Evazan Galactic Criminal - he has other utility as well as healing, and with 50 hit points he takes some effort to drop.

So Heal 10 is a negligible ability most of the time and, to add insult to injury, the Polis Massa Medic isn't even very good at it. For an extra point in a Republic squad you can get either a Kaminoan Clone Technician or Owen and Beru Lars, who both have 30 hit points and bring some additional abilities to the table. I guess you could argue that he's the cheapest heal piece that the Republic has access to, but that's not enough to save him from a 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:42:47 PM

I hadn't updated my spreadsheet properly, and I already covered the Medic on page 12. At least I gave him the same rating both times....
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:02:44 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I hadn't updated my spreadsheet properly, and I already covered the Medic on page 12. At least I gave him the same rating both times....

You know you're a bad mini when... You have the more of the lowest possible rating than any other piece covered LOL