RegisterDonateLogin

An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:08:04 PM
Groups: Member

Rebel Marksman, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
15 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 12
Attack: 6
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Deadeye (On this character's turn, if she doesn't move, she gets +10 Damage)

Overcosted, fragile scrub with no significant in-faction synergies? 1/10.
darthwhovian
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:57:06 PM

1 seems a bit low! With Accurate and Deadeye for 15 points is not that bad, even on a fragile piece, IMHO:-)
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:31:54 PM

I think it's a clearcut 1. It's been used in ten 200 point squads ever. It can get Mobile and Evade from Rieekan, but it can't use Mobile and Deadeye together. The +6 attack is also very low, and the Rebels have nothing to help with that.

If Rebels want Accurate Shot, they can use some much better pieces, including:
- Han Solo, Smuggler
- Jawa Scavenger (with Stealth, Cunning, and Ion Gun)
- Rodian Assassin - both of the above can pick up twin from the SpecForce Technician
- Juno Eclipse (only 8 points, and you get disruptive and 40 hit points)
darthwhovian
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:11:51 PM

I understand your point, yes there are much better options! I was just saying IMHO might be a 2, but no big deal! BTW I enjoy all your reviews and all the work and thought you put into them:-)
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 9:48:28 PM

Rodian Black Sun Vigo, from Universe

Quote:
24 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 18
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Fringe Reserves 20 (If you roll exactly 11 for initiative, you can add up to 20 points of Fringe characters to your squad immediately before your first activation of the round)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Commander Effect
Each follower within 6 squares who has cover cannot be targeted by Accurate Shot unless it is the nearest enemy.

The Rodian Black Sun Vigo does a few different things - it offers Fringe Reserves on an 11, it's a weak shooter, and its Commander Effect helps to negate accurate shooters. But at 24 points, it can't be bought in with Lobot's reinforcements - and a counter piece that can't be customised into a squad is obviously weaker than one that can be, plus its Commander Effect doesn't protect itself or other commanders against Accurate Shot. The CE does have some interesting possibilities though - perhaps its most practical application is protecting the Czerka Scientist, which is obviously very useful in a lot of Black Sun builds, against accurate shot. It's also interesting that the Rodian Black Sun Vigo and Xizor both have Reserves 20 on 11 - so if you do roll reserves in a build, you really hit the pay dirt. The RBSV holds up reasonably well for a Universe-era piece, and has some unique attributes, but it feels unlikely to see competitive play in 2014 - although with recent new additions to the Black Sun sub-faction, you never know. 5/10.

P.S. Was this piece popular/useful back in the day? I feel like I might have overlooked some key potentials of it, as that Commander Effect is quite unique.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:15:04 AM

Always the weakest vigo IMO.

Direct hard counter to accurate shot on a figure that does very little outside it.
I preferred The_Bith that actually was a decently offensive piece around the same time (perhaps a couple sets later)
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:59:42 PM

Thanks, fingersandteeth, I've taken the RBSV down to a 5, which still might be too high, but probably is more appropriate.

Old Republic Soldier, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
8 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 6

The Old Republic Soldier's attack of +6 is respectable, as is the 20 damage, but a lot of the time they suffer in comparison to the Old Republic Rookie, at 4 points, which is a better option as a filler shooter for most squads - they're half the cost, and if they get their Rookie bonus, their stats are very comparable, while base 10 damage isn't necessarily a disadvantage as they can pick up Twin from a Czerka, and they're eligible for other damage bonuses from Bastila JM, squad assault, and Prideful from the Arkanian Jedi General.

The Old Republic Solider, however, can start to look quite good in an Arkanian Jedi General build - with Double Attack from an Old Republic Commander and GMA and Prideful from the AJG, it can double attack with GMA at +10 for 30s. 5/10.

(thank Tim for the update - I overlooked that there are synergies that the Soldier can access that the Rookie can't in my original post)
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:30:14 AM

TheHutts wrote:

2/10.

I'd say more like a 4, maybe even a 5. You can include them in a solid tier 2 squad. With an Arkanian Jedi General and an Old Republic Commander, they double greater mobile at a 10 attack for 30 damage x2. You'd probably include Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier in that squad as a crazy 200 damage cannon, and Admiral Oteg to make many of the Old Republic Soldiers attacks a +14.

Might look like this:

30 Arkanian Jedi General
29 Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier
27 Lobot
24 Admiral Oteg
23 Elite Gunner
18 Old Republic Commander
14 Old Republic Senator
24 Old Republic Soldier x3
5 Old Republic Guard
6 Mouse Droid x2

(200pts. 13 activations)
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:36:45 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Mando wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Mando wrote:
the abundance of Diplomats is becoming really annoying.

. . . no comment

To clarrify to Tim, my earlier comment about the abundance of diplomats becoming annoying wasn't because of how many pieces there are coming out with the ability on it, but more because of how many can be played causing problems. So i understand if you dismissed that thinking that there are too many pieces with the ability as ridiculous. I agree. There are only a few.

Mando I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was not dismissing it. It's actually a completely valid concern, and I'm hearing it more often.

Now that the subset name has been announced . . .

Echo24 wrote:
V-set #9, Warfare and Subterfuge, along with the Diplomacy microset.

buckle in
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:56:59 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

2/10.

I'd say more like a 4, maybe even a 5. You can include them in a solid tier 2 squad. With an Arkanian Jedi General and an Old Republic Commander, they double greater mobile at a 10 attack for 30 damage x2. You'd probably include Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier in that squad as a crazy 200 damage cannon, and Admiral Oteg to make many of the Old Republic Soldiers attacks a +14.

Might look like this:

30 Arkanian Jedi General
29 Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier
27 Lobot
24 Admiral Oteg
23 Elite Gunner
18 Old Republic Commander
14 Old Republic Senator
24 Old Republic Soldier x3
5 Old Republic Guard
6 Mouse Droid x2

(200pts. 13 activations)

I think you're right - I forgot that they get Double Attack from the Commander, and that the Rookies don't, so they do work fairly well in that squad. I think 5 is justifiable for that.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:09:00 PM

Jedi Seer, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
27 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 18
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Jedi Reflexes (This character can make an attack of opportunity against an enemy character that moves into or out of an adjacent square. Characters with special abilities that ignore characters while moving are subject to this ability.)
Quick Reactions (+6 Attack when making attacks of opportunity)

Force Powers
Force 3
Surprise Move (Force 1; Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to his Speed before any other character activates)

At the exact same price point, the obvious frame of reference for the Jedi Seer is the Jedi Battlemaster - and the Jedi Seer generally compares badly, with 30 less hit points, lower stats, less force points, and a smaller array of Force Powers. But the Seer does have a couple of very interesting assets - in built Evade is always useful for a Jedi, and it means that the Seer can lead the charge across the board and negate some of the damage, and it also means that the Seer can pick up GMA from a Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo.

Additionally, the Seer has the ability Jedi Reflexes, which allows it to attack any piece that moves adjacent - this obviously has a wide range of applications - the Seer gets to attack any piece that bases the Seer to negate Evade, it gets to attack Lancers and other pieces with Flight that move in or out of an adjacent square, and it gets to have first strike against any melee piece that moves adjacent to attack.

Evade and Jedi Reflexes are obviously major assets, and make the Seer a very good piece for its cost - its hardly surprising that it featured in the GenCon winning squad in 2011, 9/10.

Quote:
--Bastilla's Battlemasters 2.0--
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
81 Jedi Battlemaster x3
27 Jedi Seer
27 Lobot
14 Old Republic Senator
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(199pts. 11 activations)

TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:15:31 PM

Elite Supercommando, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
25 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Assassin (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against living enemies)
Beskar'gam (When this character takes damage, it reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)
Sniper (Other characters do not provide cover against this character's attack)
Synergy +2 (+2 Attack and +2 Defense while a Unique Mandalorian commander is within 6 squares)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

The Elite Supercommando is a Mandalorian scrub that's relatively self-sufficient - with Sniper, Twin, and a relatively high attack already on its card, it doesn't fit into the usual Mandalorian builds, which are generally built around the Mandalorian Captain for Twin or the new Neo-Crusader pieces. It even has Beskar'gam, so it's sturdy for a 25 point shooter. The one thing it's arguably missing is Mobile, so it can keep out of LoS, although it can pick that up from the seldomly used Mandalorian Commander. Sharron took it to the Top 4 in the recent NZ National tournament, in a build that has Mandalore the Lesser to give the Supercommando its synergy bonus and Snare Rifle.

Quote:
--NZcon Aarons Squad--
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
37 Mandalore the Lesser
36 Lord Kaan
27 Lobot
25 Elite Supercommando
4 Sith Recruit
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 9 activations)

The Elite Supercommando is a very strong support shooter for 25 points, and I like the design a lot; it encourages creative squad building, since you can't just throw it into a standard Mandalorian build. 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:38:37 PM

Clone Trooper with Flamethrower, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
11 points, Republic
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 14
Attack: 0
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Order 66
Burning Attacks (Characters (including this character) damaged by this character are considered to be burning. Each time a burning character activates, it must attempt a save of 11. On a failure, that character takes 10 damage. On a success, that character is no longer burning.)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)

Put the Clone Trooper with Flamethrower in a squad with Captain Tarpals and Queen Amidala, and it's a great piece - it costs 10 points, has mobile, and can double Flamethrower 20. It's obviously fragile for the cost, but it can be a great complement for Gungan Artillerist squads - they often struggle once the opponent closes in, but the Clone Trooper wants the enemy close so they can flamethrow them.

They've already featured in a Top 2 Regional squad, with Urbanjedi at the WNY Regional (see below), and they're a simple piece that does one useful thing very efficiently, 9/10.

Quote:
--ny regional--
35 Boss Nass
23 Captain Panaka
16 Dr. Evazan, Galactic Criminal
16 Queen Amidala
15 Momaw Nadon
20 Clone Trooper with Flamethrower x2
45 Gungan Artillerist x5
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
4 Rodian Diplomat
8 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2
3 Mouse Droid
6 Rodian Brute x2
(200pts. 19 activations)
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:52:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I lost to a couple of these (along with the new Obi on Boga) in the latest NZ Vassal Regional. Naasty...
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 1:34:36 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
I lost to a couple of these (along with the new Obi on Boga) in the latest NZ Vassal Regional. Naasty...

I've been vacillating between an 8 and a 9. It's a very efficient piece, with good in-faction synergies - even a 10 wouldn't be too ridiculous.
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 3:49:11 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I love the Clone Trooper with Flamethrower. He has a really low rating on the bloomilk character page (in my opinion) Cheap flamethrower that sets folks on fire? Yeah they are fragile as heck, but I think they are so neat. An 8 or a 9 on here sounds bout right to me.
Deathwielded
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 6:29:54 PM

kezzamachine wrote:

I think I played that against you awhile ago. Was that the last NZ Vassel tournament?

Towed one up and burned your Kelborn Mando Clump with Double Flames. (sigh good times...Razz )

Anyways those Flame Troopers are deadly. Even without Tarpal's Overload CE, 20 auto damage with a chance to continue burning is pretty great. I've even thought about playing them in an alternate Daala Build with Disra and Flim so he can charge and then get activated by Flim to burn or just Burn twice. I think thats a good way to compensate for the lack of Force Immunity in non-Pelleon Daala squads. (against rocks with good defense like GOWK)
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:39:15 PM

Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
54 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 20
Attack: 14

Special Abilities
Unique
Disruptive (Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares)
Grenades 40 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 40 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Grip 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: sight; 10 damage)
Force Lightning 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)
Lightsaber Riposte (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker)

Han Solo Galactic Hero and R2/3PO Galactic Heroes seem to be the premier options for Disruptive in a New Republic squad now, but there was a time when Kyle Katarn, JBM was a major factor in the meta. 140 hit points of Disruptive is a lot for squads that are reliant on Commander Effects to get around, and he was a major problem for squads like Skybuck; he's a huge spanner in the works for melee-based squads that are reliant on Commander Effects. Han Galactic Hero islargely self-contained with GMA and Evade on his card, while Kyle has the same potential damage output (60 damage), but needs commander effects in order to inflict damage on the move; he can either get Evade from Wedge and GMA from a TBSV, or Greater Mobile from Luke Galactic Hero. Kyle can also gain Force Renewal from Luke Force Spirit and Opportunist from Jan Ors.

Even though Han has less hit points than Kyle, he is a more efficient piece - as well as his self-sufficiency, he can shoot and also brings Never Tell Me The Odds to the table; although Kyle does have some useful offensive powers like Grenades 40, Force Grip, and Riposte, he really needs Wedge's ranged defense to shine, while the best New Republic squads often revolve around pieces with Stealth and Evade built in, so that they don't need to spend 23 points on Wedge's limited offence. Nonetheless, Kyle was a big factor in the pre v-set meta - he notched up a couple of wins in the 2010 Regional season, including this squad:

Quote:
Squad: --Ganner's Banner--
Kyle JBM
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner
Dash, RS
Jagged
Dodonna
R7
Caamasi
Uggy x3
Mouse

It does feel like the New Republic has stronger Disruptive options at the moment, and Kyle has largely been left in the cold from the competitive game. But he's still an intimidating prospect with his hit points, and array of offensive skills, and I think he could come roaring back into contention if the meta shifted in a way that suited him, 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:04:11 AM

Tusken Raider Chieftain, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
15 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

Commander Effect
Allies whose names contain Tusken gain Gang +1.

I'm really not convinced that the Tusken sub-faction is fit for any more than scenario play, even with the addition of v-set pieces like the Chieftain. Gang +1 is helpful, but Tuskens do have access to plenty of other attack boosts, like A'Sharad Hett, as well as the usual suspects like Jabba CL, Ithorian Commander, Talon Karrde, and Thrawn, so I don't think that low attack ratings are the Tuskens biggest issue, although it does help with the Tusken Raider Sniper's +3 - and since the Sniper can shoot and has 20 base damage, it probably is the most promising Tusken to build around. Still, the WOTC Tusken pieces all feel flaccid and boring, with low survivability; the Tusken Raider Chieftain is a decent enough piece, but it's certainly not enough to breathe life into a low powered sub-faction. 5/10.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:59:17 AM

TheHutts wrote:

It does feel like the New Republic has stronger Disruptive options at the moment, and Kyle has largely been left in the cold from the competitive game. But he's still an intimidating prospect with his hit points, and array of offensive skills, and I think he could come roaring back into contention if the meta shifted in a way that suited him, 7/10.

The issue with Kyle is the amount of points you have to invest in him in order to have his ranged defense sufficient enough to do what he needs to against some of the stronger guns in the game.

You also have little initiative control with him in the squad without investing in an mtb. Because you need to invest points in his range defense without taking up too many points from the initiative control engine you end up with a squad that has fewer options than the other NR disruptive type squads.

I think both of these really make him cost prohibitive in a game where cheaper pieces are getting stronger and stronger.

He has been given some interesting options with Jan Ors upping him to a 90 dmg potential, which is not to be sniffed at, but i think the 24 points you need to invest just to give him evade is a tough sell these days and as the cornerstone of any squad you put him in, he really needs it.