RegisterDonateLogin

The ability to drink Bloo Milk does not make you intelligent.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 2:59:07 PM
Groups: Member

Darth Nihilus, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
44 points, Sith
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 19
Attack: 12
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 5
Drain Life 1 (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 6; 10 damage to target living enemy, and remove 10 damage from this character; save 11)
Sith Hatred (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: 10 damage to all enemies within 2 squares)
Sith Hunger (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target living enemy, and remove 20 damage from this character. If the target has Force points remaining, transfer 1 Force point from the target to this character.)

For just 44 points, you get Jedi Weapon Master stats with some weird force powers. Instead of the Jedi Weapon Master's very useful mainstream force powers like riposte, defense, and sweep, you get some weird stuff like Drain Life (10 damage to living enemy and 10 off you), Sith Hatred (20 damage to a living enemy and 20 off you), and Sith Hatred (10 damage to all enemies within 2 squares).

The ability to remove damage from you at the expense of your opponent is certainly interesting, but at the same time, they're limited in scope since they don't work against droids, and they're too low impact to justify spending 44 points on Nihilus. The v-set version is much scarier and more interesting - while it also struggles against droids or force immunity, it can at least lay down some serious hurt on other pieces. This Darth Nihilus is simply far too weak for the cost - while his Force Powers have a suitably sadistic flavour, it feel like he's tickling you rather than destroying you. 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:57:31 PM

Crimson Nova Guild Leader, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
30 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Jedi Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Rapport (A character with Bounty Hunter or Jedi Hunter costs 1 less when in the same squad as this character)

Commander Effect
Non-Unique followers within 6 squares with Bounty Hunter gain Jedi Hunter.

The Crimson Nova Guild Leader is an efficient piece - she's a capable attacker for 30 points - but it's difficult to justify spending 30 points on such a niche commander. Probably her best chance of seeing play is with a Reinforcements 30 piece - currently one of the high cost Jabbas. Jabba Galactic Crime Boss does also have a CE for Bounty Hunters, so a squad with Cad Bane Bounty Hunter, Jabba, and a bunch of non-unique Bounty Hunters would be a good setup for her. But at the same time, one of the stronger cheap Bounty Hunter options, the Rodian Assassin, already has Accurate Shot so it's not a great fit with Jabba, while bringing the Crimson Nova Guild Leader in via reserves mean that you can't take advantage of her Rapport. There might be a build out there for her somewhere, but the Crimson Nova Guild Leader is too niche to see play very often. 4/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 7:56:39 PM

Jango Fett, Assassin, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
47 points, Fringe

Special Abilities
Unique
Mandalorian
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Assassin (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against living enemies)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)
Saber Dart (Replaces attacks: sight; ignore cover; 1 target enemy takes 20 damage and is poisoned; save 11. Each time a poisoned character activates it takes 20 damage; save 11 negates and it is no longer poisoned.)
Synergy +2 (+2 Attack and +2 Defense while an ally whose name contains Boba Fett that has a lower point cost is within 6 squares)

I've never seen or heard tale of anyone running Jango Assassin in a tournament, which is surprising since he's an efficient and durable shooter. He's a neat design - he has the best synergies in Mandalorians and Separatists, which makes thematic sense. Both WOTC Jangos were dated and a long way outside the competitive sphere; while Jango Assassin is in the same price range and has similar stats, he has some significant extra power with some added abilities. Evade gives him some ranged defense, and allows him to pick up Greater Mobile from a Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo, Assassin gives him extra damage against living characters, while Mandalorian allows him to pick up Mandalorian CEs and SAs, like twin from the Captain and Resolnare from Kelborn.

Since he can get twin in Separatists and Mandos, doubling his damage output, those are the factions that you're likely to see him in. While he does benefit from Tarpals' CE in Republic, there are way cheaper options than paying 47 points for double Flamethrower. In Separatists he can pick up twin from Whorm, as well as evade from a TBSV. Assassin means that he's a big threat, able to do 120 damage on the move, but he is reliant on a Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo for mobility - since the TBSV costs 18 points and doesn't have much other synergy from the Seps, it probably isn't an optimised build, but there probably is a reasonable Tier 2 build using other pieces like Jarael and Han Gambler who also benefit from the TBSV and Whorm. But probably his best faction is Mandalorians - he can get Synergy +4 +4 from Jaster Mereel, Resol'nare and Coordinated Command from Kelborn, and Twin from a Mando Captain, making him a big start of the round threat - he can fly 12 with Resol'nare and his own GMA, and pump something for 120 damage at a high attack. He is facing some substantial competition from Mandalore the Vindicated, who brings more hit points and Disruptive in a similar price range, but Jango Assassin is still an interesting option as the main hitter for a Mandalorian squad. 8/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 8:10:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Max 7. Maybe 6. Not that he's bad, but I don't see a tier 1 squad for him.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 10:44:35 PM

I played against him in a regional a few years back. It is the famous game where I brought in an MTB while running Yobuck because I couldn't afford to lose init. His squad was tarpals, JAngo, Zam, R2, Foul, and mice. End game came down to my Dash (without opportunist) taking out his foul to win the game as all I had left was Dash and the MTB and all he had was Foul.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 1:36:52 AM

T3-M4, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
17 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 17
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)
Override (At the end of its turn, this character can designate 1 door that it can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until it is defeated)

Override and Flamethrower 20 is certainly an interesting combination - you normally want to keep your override piece tucked away, but T3-M4 needs to be in the front lines to use Flamethrower. It's useful to have a tech piece with some bite, but at the same time it's hard to justify spending 17 points on T3-M4 when you can get Lobot for 27, or the more robust R7 for 8. Also, there aren't a whole lot of useful synergies available to him - while you can boost him in Seps with the usual droid buffs, 30 hit points, +5 defense, and 10 damage isn't a great start. Override and Flamethrower 20 are very good abilities and T3-M4 is certainly a handy piece - if he's the only override you have, it's better than nothing, but it's hard to justify playing him competitively over the more efficient override options. 6/10.
Cassus fett
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:40:32 AM

^ Agreed 6/10. Can't justify using him over an R7
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:35:25 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Jango Fett, Assassin, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
47 points, Fringe

Special Abilities
Unique
Mandalorian
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Assassin (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against living enemies)
Saber Dart (Replaces attacks: sight; ignore cover; 1 target enemy takes 20 damage and is poisoned; save 11. Each time a poisoned character activates it takes 20 damage; save 11 negates and it is no longer poisoned.)
Synergy +2 (+2 Attack and +2 Defense while an ally whose name contains Boba Fett that has a lower point cost is within 6 squares)

I've never seen or heard tale of anyone running Jango Assassin in a tournament, which is surprising since he's an efficient and durable shooter. He's a neat design - he has the best synergies in Mandalorians and Separatists, which makes thematic sense. Both WOTC Jangos were dated and a long way outside the competitive sphere; while Jango Assassin is in the same price range and has similar stats, he has some significant extra power with some added abilities. Evade gives him some ranged defense, and allows him to pick up Greater Mobile from a Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo, Assassin gives him extra damage against living characters, while Mandalorian allows him to pick up Mandalorian CEs and SAs, like twin from the Captain and Resolnare from Kelborn.

Since he can get twin in Separatists and Mandos, doubling his damage output, those are the factions that you're likely to see him in. While he does benefit from Tarpals' CE in Republic, there are way cheaper options than paying 47 points for double Flamethrower. In Separatists he can pick up twin from Whorm, as well as evade from a TBSV. Assassin means that he's a big threat, able to do 120 damage on the move, but he is reliant on a Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo for mobility - since the TBSV costs 18 points and doesn't have much other synergy from the Seps, it probably isn't an optimised build, but there probably is a reasonable Tier 2 build using other pieces like Jarael and Han Gambler who also benefit from the TBSV and Whorm. But probably his best faction is Mandalorians - he can get Synergy +4 +4 from Jaster Mereel, Resol'nare and Coordinated Command from Kelborn, and Twin from a Mando Captain, making him a big start of the round threat - he can fly 12 with Resol'nare and his own GMA, and pump something for 120 damage at a high attack. He is facing some substantial competition from Mandalore the Vindicated, who brings more hit points and Disruptive in a similar price range, but Jango Assassin is still an interesting option as the main hitter for a Mandalorian squad. 8/10.

I used him to great effect in 500pt Epic play for a while. He and Epic Boba with a TBSV make for some cool options. His Saber Dart was useful for taking out those pesky pieces protected by an Energy Shield or SSM/Evade silliness.

However, he was completely replaced by Shae Vizla; her double-missiles is just too good to pass up, and she's also cheaper.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:13:07 PM

Mini of the Day #400!

Super Battle Droid, from Clone Strike

Quote:
10 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 12
Attack: 2

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Charging Fire (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then attack)
Synchronized Fire (Droid characters who combine fire with this character grant +6 Attack instead of +4)

It's surprising that the Super Battle Droid hasn't come up on random until now, since it's been reprinted 6 times. It's an unusual choice to reprint - at 10 points it's expensive enough that it's not an army builder like Stormtroopers and Battle Droids are. While it does have the very valuable Charging Fire, 10 points is still a lot to spend for a 20 hit point piece that needs a lot of boosts before it can become a threat. They're not too bad as filler in a GGDAC/Battle Droid Officer squad - they can get up to a +10 attack, twinning for 20s, but at 10 points it's tough to include them over more efficient options like IG-86s or cheaper options like Battle Droids. It's telling that they've been all but remade in the v-sets as the cheaper and slightly more durable B2 Super Battle Droid, 4/10.
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:07:49 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I finished second, so you would have played me in the semis:

I played this:
Quote:
--Ki-Blast--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
34 Ki-Adi-Mundi, Jedi Master
33 Captain Rex
27 Ferus Olin
23 Captain Panaka
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
9 Rodian Brute x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 12 activations)

You played this:
Quote:
--The Vong Invade Lower Hutt--
72 Supreme Overlord Shimrra
34 Nom Anor
27 Nen Yim
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Advance Agent, Officer
32 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x8
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(200pts. 16 activations)

It would have been interesting - I would probably be happy to trade Yobuck for your 8 Scouts if I could, and hope I could punch through Shimrra with Dark Temptation and Opportunist. I'd need decent rolls with that 23 defense and force immunity.

Nah, I'd have won.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:46:05 PM

ARC Trooper Scout, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
14 points, Republic
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Order 66
Cloaked (If this character has cover, he cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies)
Pathfinder (Allies are not slowed by difficult terrain within 6 squares of this character)
Stable Footing (Not slowed by difficult terrain or low objects)
Targeting (Until the end of the round, target enemy has -4 Defense)

With reasonably low stats and some useful abilities - Pathfinder and Targeting are both helpful to have around - the ARC Trooper Scout feels primarily like a tech piece. I would have expected them to be a support piece for ARC Troopers in competitive play - with double/twin/GMA, the ARC Troopers are much more threatening. But at the same time the Scout can pick up twin and Verpine Shatter Rifle from Ordo; since it can also pick up attack boosts like GOWK, Gree's Squad Assault, or Yularen's Opportunist, it's not a terrible attacker. A squad of these won the 2014 Alberta Regional in Canada:

--The Munnilinst 10 2014 Canadian Regional winner--
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
33 Captain Rex
27 ARC Trooper Captain Fordo
56 ARC Trooper Scout x4
10 Rodian Trader
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
(198pts. 10 activations)

The ARC Trooper Scout is a useful attacker/tech hybrid piece. I wouldn't have pegged it as top tier, but it won a Regional, so what do I know? 7/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:20:08 PM

The ARC Scout is interesting, it came out in the same set as Ordo who explicitly makes original ARCs better (while helping out Snipers and Scouts,) but they offer some neat tricks and between everything that ARCs get playing a mix of them might work out well. As another Stat boost it does benefit from Ordo's Synergy and the Scout's targeting could help the vanilla ARC Troopers hit some harder targets (their attack is also lacking)
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:34:41 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
The ARC Scout is interesting, it came out in the same set as Ordo who explicitly makes original ARCs better (while helping out Snipers and Scouts,) but they offer some neat tricks and between everything that ARCs get playing a mix of them might work out well. As another Stat boost it does benefit from Ordo's Synergy and the Scout's targeting could help the vanilla ARC Troopers hit some harder targets (their attack is also lacking)

Yeah, I would have assumed their best build was as a support piece with Targeting that picks up synergies from the rest of the squad. Cloaked with twin and Verpine Shatter Rifle is a good combo, but I think I'd still build around Klat Assassins if I want a whole squad of cloaked guys in that range.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:40:27 PM

Mon Calamari Medic, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
8 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Attack: 0
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Heal 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from a living character)

Healing is generally an inefficient strategy in Star Wars Minis - typing up 8 points on your squad for a possible Heal 10 isn't very efficient, especially when the piece in question can't do anything else. The Mon Calamari Medic can't combine fire, is super fragile, and is a very weak melee attacker. I never thought I'd say this, but even Rodian Trader squads provide more efficient healing options, 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:06:31 PM

Nute Gunray, from Universe

Quote:
30 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 30
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Separatist Reinforcements 20 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 20 points of Separatist characters to your squad)
Separatist Reserves 20 (If you roll a 1 for initiative, you can add up to 20 points of Separatist characters to your squad immediately before your first activation of the round)

Commander Effect
Allies get -2 Attack and gain Speed 4.

Nute has a 4 rating on Bloomilk, enough to put him in the worst 50 pieces in the game, but he's really not that bad. His Commander Effect is detrimental, but doesn't affect droids, so if you're using a mostly droid squad, it's not a problem. And he has the very powerful Reinforcements, as well as Reserves - Separatist Reinforcements is especially useful for San Hill, as you can leave him on the bench if you outactivate your opponent without him. A Nute Gunray squad from Engineer did very well in the 2010 Regional season, with top 4 finishes in a couple of big Regionals:

Quote:
--IG-86 Nute Gunray/Whorm--
30 Nute Gunray
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
64 IG-86 Assassin Droid x4
12 Gha Nachkt
8 Battle Droid Officer
21 R7 Astromech Droid x3
9 Battle Droid x3
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
6 Mouse Droid x3
(200pts. 19 activations)

Nute Gunray, however, has been replaced somewhat in the v-sets - Poggle the Lesser/Drones/Muun Tactics Broker with Lobot is the backline for the vast majority of competitive Separatist squads, and it allows you to sacrifice San Hill when you don't need him, which is often a more efficient way of doing things. At the same time. we're seeing a bit of self-destruct hate in the upcoming v-sets at the moment, as well as boosts for droid squads, so it's not impossible that Nute Gunray could step back into the limelight at some stage. With Poggle around, he's probably outside the competitive scene right now, but he's far better than the worst 50 pieces in the game. 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 2:57:04 PM

Belth Allusis, Jedi Master, from Vengeance

Quote:
55 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 22
Attack: 15

Special Abilities
Unique
Disciplined Leader (This character's commander effect cannot be suppressed)
Djem So Style (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against
that attacker.)
Noble Sacrifice (When this character is defeated, 1 Old Republic follower may make an immediate attack)

Force Powers
Force 5
Force Spirit 6 (If this character is defeated, immediately add 6 Force points to an ally with a Force rating; that ally can spend Force points 1 extra time per turn for the rest of the skirmish)
Lightsaber Defense (Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Precision (Force 1: This character gets +10 Damage on his next attack)

Commander Effect
Non-Unique Old Republic allies with a Force rating can make 1 immediate attack at +4 Attack when they are defeated.

I write this every time I cover a high cost Old Republic piece, but it always feels hard to fit in a 55 point commander into a 200 point squad, when you already have to fit in Bastila JM and tech. But Belth is a solid beatstick for 55 points - lots of hit points, great stats, Lightsaber Defense, Djem So, and Force Spirit 6 are all assets, and undisruptable Death Shots for non-unique Old Republic allies is also a very useful CE. But it does feel hard to make the most of him in a 200 point squad, and it makes sense that he's seen the most success in Tile Wars, where he took out the 2012 Tile Wars Championship.

Quote:
--These wookies will win (weather you let them or not). 2012 tile
wars championship squad!--
55 Belth Allusis, Jedi Master
70 Wookiee Jedi x2
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
17 Covenant Consular
8 Wicket
15 Mouse Droid x5
(198pts. 11 activations)

Belth's's still not a bad piece for 55 points, even if you're not utilising his CE; although if you do want a solid Djem So beat in Old Republic, you can get Ulic Qel-Droma, Jedi Knight for 34 points. Belth's been kicking around for a while and noone's really made a splash with him at competitive 200 points, so he gets categorised just below the competitive level, 7/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:03:07 PM

I'm Allusis, baby, so why don't you kill me?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:09:55 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'm Allusis, baby, so why don't you kill me?

He's not THAT bad....

Or is that a joke about Force Spirit.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:31:21 PM

Force spirit and noble sacrifice.
AndyHatton
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:32:17 PM

Don't they have Beck in New Zealand?!