RegisterDonateLogin

Is not something you could learn to make from a Jedi.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 10:43:29 AM
Groups: Member

TheHutts wrote:
Wuher, from Cantina Brawl

Quote:
9 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 15
Attack: 6
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
No Blasters! (Does not count as the nearest target for characters without Melee Attack)
We Don't Serve Their Kind Here (Droids brought in through enemy or ally reinforcements or reserves cost 2 more)

One issue that existed at the end of WOTC's production of SWM (I just realised that Single White Male and Star Wars Miniatures have the same acronym - is that a coincidence?) was that the Mouse Wall was a very successful strategy. Costing just 2 points with Gha Nachkt, and with a 20 defense, it was easy to block hallways, surround your shooters, and use them as blockers, and the strategy was included in the GenCon winner from 2010, which included Lobot and Gha Nachkt to bring in 10 Mouse Droids when needed.

The Cantina Brawl set provided a couple of solutions to the Mouse Wall problem - Momaw Nadon is a tier 1 piece that I've never heard a bad word about, while Wuher is a less successful solution. His We Don't Serve Their Kind Here makes lots of sense from a flavour perspective, but it's still a big call to mainline him into a squad to prevent a Mouse Drop, especially as he does little else. He's fragile, a melee attacker, and with the change to gambit rules he can't even collect gambit at 200 points. But where Wuher does shine is as a counter to a droid reserve squad - if your opponent is playing Kazdan, Wat Tambor, Dooku Separatist Leader, or whatever, Wuher is a great Lobot reinforcement choice, especially against squads with San Hill where the Muun Tactics Broker doesn't work. Wuher is a significant piece - he's good to have in your Reinforcements box - but he's much more effective against reserves than against reinforcements, while reinforcements are generally a much more powerful strategy than reserves are, 8/10.

By your discription (which I don't disagree with) he should be lower than an 8. However - what your description lacks is anything other than We Don't Serve Their Kind Here. No Blasters! was not even mentioned, and imo that is his greatest strength. He becomes a really valuable swap piece that cannot be killed without being adjacent or having accurate shot. Even those abilities designed to counter cloaked that take away cover don't help you attack him. Many people overlook this about him.
obiwan1knight
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:28:35 PM

I was actually very annoyed when I first saw Wuher. Reserve Squads were just starting to get better and then this guy comes in and messes up the whole thing. I agree with you that he helps against mouse walls, but he discourages the use of a droid reserve squad. And, he also makes your own reserves/reinforcements cost more.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:31:50 PM

I still think that a simple errata/fix to the original Mouse Droid would solve the problem better. But fixing WotC's mistakes...that's taboo.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:33:34 PM

Elite Rebel Commando, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
16 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 16
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Ion Gun +20 (+20 Damage against nonliving enemies)
Override (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

The R7 is a great piece - non-unique override for 8 points, with 40 hit points and Ion Shielding. The Elite Rebel Commando, at 16 points, has 50 hit points and stealth, so it's easily more robust, while it's also a decent backup attacker. With Crix Madine's Cunning +20 CE and twin, the ERC is a threat, especially against Droids with its Ion Gun +20, although it is limited by a low attack score. All of this adds up to one of the strongest non-uniques in the games.

At the same time, there's a limit to how many ERCs you want in a squad, since Cunning Attack is easier to defend against than Opportunist; if your opponent has a whole squad of Cunning Attackers, it's often easy to activate your big guy and make him the legal target. But they're so strong that they're going to fit into just about any Rebel Commando squad - they're better than the R7 in a bunch of Rebel squads since they have in faction synergy. They featured in the 2010 GenCon Champion squad:

Quote:
--Smug Commandos (2010 Gencon Champion Squad)--
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Lobot
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
32 Elite Rebel Commando x2
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
12 Gha Nachkt
9 General Dodonna
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
8 Mouse Droid x4
(200pts. 15 activations)

I think if I'd done this pre v-sets, the ERC would have been an 11, but with more diversification for the Rebels, he mainly fits into builds with Commando support, especially Crix Madine. Still a very strong option for the Rebels though - door control that's survivable and that's an attacking threat deserves a 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:44:20 PM

Wuher
TimmerB123 wrote:
By your discription (which I don't disagree with) he should be lower than an 8. However - what your description lacks is anything other than We Don't Serve Their Kind Here. No Blasters! was not even mentioned, and imo that is his greatest strength. He becomes a really valuable swap piece that cannot be killed without being adjacent or having accurate shot. Even those abilities designed to counter cloaked that take away cover don't help you attack him. Many people overlook this about him.

Part of my perception is that I've actually seen a Separatist reserves team on the competitive table in the last couple of years - Kezzamachine bought one against me at the Hutt Regional a couple of years ago. If you're going to play reserve squads, I think Seps are the strongest, since San Hill stops the MTB counter from working, and Wuher is there as an additional counter for Sep reserve squads - that's why I have one in my Lobot box.

Have you actually used Wuher as a swapper - would you use him as a mid round swapper when you don't have an activation advantage? It'd be hard to take him over an Amanin if you do have an activation advantage, right?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:21:23 PM

Warrior Caste Subcommander, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
19 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 50

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Blast Bug (Replaces Attacks, range 6: deal 20 damage to target enemy; this damage cannot be prevented)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Razorbug (Replaces attacks: sight; 10 damage; save 11)
Vonduun Crab Armor 6 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6)

Commander Effect
Yuuzhan Vong allies whose names contain Warrior gain Blast Bug, Razorbug and Mobile Attack.

The Warrior Caste Subcommander creates an entirely new squad type for the Yuuzhan Vong: a swarm of Warriors whose Blast Bugs are relatively low damage for the cost, but are also unpreventable. It's a very strong squad type; two Warrior Caste Subcommander swarms were pushing hard for the Top 4 at the NZ Nationals this year, and it's especially a nightmare for uber-defense pieces like GOWK and Darth Zannah, as the Warrior Caste Subcommander swarms can cut right through their defenses and take them down with 6 Blast Bugs.

There are a few different Yuuzhan Vong Warriors to build around - the Praetorite Vong Scout has Cloaked and rapport with Prefect Da'Gara, but also has only 10 hit points. The Yuuzhan Vong Warrior is cheap at 8 points, even though it lacks ranged defense, while the Domain Lah Warrior has Speed 8 and 40 hit points for 10 points. Don't forget the Seer if you run into Disruptive too - it increases the range of the Blast Bugs by 2. Another quirk of the Subcommander is that often their squads don't require a Yammosk - although you can bring one if with Quorreal if your opponent has a useful commander effect like Captain Tarpals or General Dodonna.

The Warrior Caste Subcommander is a great piece - it might be the single best piece to build around that the Vong have. Even though Subcommander squads might have a few rough matchups, like Strafe and Gallop, it's a Power 11 piece in my book, 11/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:26:44 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Wuher
TimmerB123 wrote:

Part of my perception is that I've actually seen a Separatist reserves team on the competitive table in the last couple of years - Kezzamachine bought one against me at the Hutt Regional a couple of years ago. If you're going to play reserve squads, I think Seps are the strongest, since San Hill stops the MTB counter from working, and Wuher is there as an additional counter for Sep reserve squads - that's why I have one in my Lobot box.

Have you actually used Wuher as a swapper - would you use him as a mid round swapper when you don't have an activation advantage? It'd be hard to take him over an Amanin if you do have an activation advantage, right?

I know Jake has, and had a lot of success with it. This is one squad:

--Stealth-N-Gouls--
51 Celeste Morne
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
27 Lobot
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
11 Admiral Ozzel
9 Wuher
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Gran Raider
3 Rodian Brute

(200pts. 11 activations)

Wuher helps not be out activated as bad sometimes, but his main role here is a swapper. A mid round swap could be key. I often find with imps and ozzel, if you don't out activate you're hosed. Wuher helps you strike safely mid round.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 2:49:54 PM

Bothan Noble, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
17 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 30
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Heal 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from a living character)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, 1 follower within 6 squares can make an immediate attack.

Cannon CEs are very, very strong - pieces like Princess Leia, Old Republic Senator, and the new Commando Droid Captain are some crucial pieces for their factions. The Bothan Noble is another cannon CE piece, but it does obviously suffer in comparison to Princess Leia in the same faction - it's almost always worth paying the extra 3 points for Leia, as her CE is stronger (with a +4 +10 bonus), she's more robust, and she's a better shooter. At the same time though, the Bothan Noble does have some chance of competitive play - for starters, its CE is for all followers, not just Rebels, so you can cannon Fringe shooters like Boba BH or Dash. It also means you can use a different Leia like Leia Rebel Commando or Luke and Leia on Speeder, and still get a cannon CE in your squad. Or you can run Leia and a Bothan Noble in tandem - possibly risky in a post Bastila meta, but certainly feasible, as the squad that finished first after Swiss at GenCon 2010 demonstrates:

Quote:
47 Luke's Landspeeder
27 Ferus Olin
27 Han Solo on Tauntaun
20 Princess Leia
17 Bothan Noble
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Mouse Droid
3 Mouse Droid
3 Mouse Droid
3 Mouse Droid

The Bothan Noble is a really strong piece - it's possibly been a bit overlooked recently, and it is fragile for the cost, but it's one of those pieces where it would never surprise me to see it in a top squad, 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:55:37 PM

Gotal Imperial Assassin, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
21 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14

Special Abilities
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Careful Shot +6 (On this character's turn, if he doesn't move, he gets +6 Attack)
Deadeye (On this character's turn, if he doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage)
Deadly Attack (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20)

If you're building a competitive Imperial squad that's not based around Daala and her troopers, chances are that you're using one of the Thrawns. The Gotal Imperial Assassin seems like it synergises well with Thrawn - it gains Opportunist to boost its attack, and a movement breaker to set it up for Careful Shot and Deadeye. But on the other hand, you're not going to win games if your strategy is based around Thrawn moving the Gotal Imperial Assassin around for good shots - it's far too popgun and fragile to base your squad around, and if you want to swap him in deep, he won't be able to benefit from twin from a Czerka. Even though Accurate is very strong, the Gotal is too fragile and overcosted to consider running - give it Stealth and make it 15 points, and it might be vaguely viable. 2/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 7:17:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

4 is pretty generous. He's only "good" in the sense that his stats are high enough you have to actually think about him, but relative to anything remotely competitive in his cost range he's more like a 2.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 7:28:20 PM

Yeah, I guess you're right. He does have some interesting abilities, which is probably making me overrate him; he's not a typical, boring WOTC 2/10, he's just not worth 21 points. 2 sounds fair enough.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:09:16 PM

Commando Droid Officer, from Shadows

Quote:
22 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: 9
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Commando Droid Upgrade (Allies named Commando Droid gain Stealth)
Coordinated Movement (At the end of this character's turn, 1 Commando Droid ally may immediately move up to 2 squares)
Fire Control (Non-Unique Droid allies get +4 Attack)
Rapport (Characters named Commando Droid cost 3 less when in the same squad as this character)
Stealth (If this character has cover, it does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Commander Effect
Droids are subject to these effects:

Allies named Commando Droid get +2 Attack, +2 Defense, and +10 Damage.

At the end of this characters turn, 1 Droid ally within 6 squares may make an immediate attack at +10 Damage.

It might seem premature giving this a piece an 11, since it's from a very recent set, but the Commando Droid Officer is a powerhouse. It provides a much needed specific boost for the awful Commando Droid from Galaxy at War, but it also has a wider application that means it's a great option for a lot of droid squads. The Commando Droid was one of the worst pieces in the game, but Rapport of 3, Stealth, +2 attack, +2 defense, and +10 damage makes them much more viable.

I don't know if Commando Droid swarms are viable competitively, but the Commando Droid Officer also boosts a broader groups of droids; Coordinated Movement applies to Commando Droids, but also other droids like the BX Commando Droid Sniper and other Commando Droid Officers. The Commando Droid Officer also has Fire Control, so some CDO builds may be able to function without the Battle Droid Officer (previously a staple in Separatist Droid squads). And most importantly, it has a cannon CE that allows a Droid ally to make an immediate attack at +10 damage. There are lots of good recipients - IG-88A with Twin and Assassin is nasty, as is a BX Sniper with Accurate Shot, and General Grievous, Hero of Hypori can take an extra swing too. But perhaps the most powerful option is to have a small battery of Commando Droid Officers all giving each other cannon attacks and coordinated movement.

We've already seen a squad with three Commando Droid Officers make the final at the 150 point HaweraCon tournament in New Zealand:
Quote:
Aaron (Sharron): Darth Sidious, Lancer, Commando Droid Officer x3

Even just as an attacker, the Commando Droid Officer is passable - with Twin, Stealth, and +13 attack with Fire Control, it's not a bad deal for 22 points; when you throw in the cannon CE, Coordinated Movement, and fire control, it's one of the best pieces in the game. It also moves Separatist droid builds in different directions - droid squad staples like Whorm, HK-47 Assassin Droid, and the Battle Droid Officer don't fit well into Commando Droid Officer squads. The Commando Droid Officer has Tier 1 written all over it - a piece that has ranged defense, a cannon CE, is a good attacker, and provides some movement is an amazing deal for 22 points, and I look forward to seeing what builds emerge with it, 11/10.

Update - the Commando Droid Officer has been errata'd so it fulfills its original purpose of boosting WOTC Commando Droids, as well as the v-set Elite Commando Droids. It's still good, but not a power piece anymore, I think an 8/10 is a better grade for it.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:16:32 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
Wuher
TimmerB123 wrote:

I know Jake has, and had a lot of success with it. This is one squad:

--Stealth-N-Gouls--
51 Celeste Morne
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
27 Lobot
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
11 Admiral Ozzel
9 Wuher
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Gran Raider
3 Rodian Brute

(200pts. 11 activations)

Wuher helps not be out activated as bad sometimes, but his main role here is a swapper. A mid round swap could be key. I often find with imps and ozzel, if you don't out activate you're hosed. Wuher helps you strike safely mid round.

This was well said. Wuher was a major component to this squad. Aside from stopping reserve squads which was obvious, he restricted Lobot reinforcements to a high degree to help me outactivate. If you bring in droids then you pay more, if you try to avoid that with living then you are giving me more pieces to change into Raks. So you bring in 1-2 higher cost pieces with more hp to avoid Celeste then I can probably outactivate you. And as Tim said, Wuher is a great swapper that allowed me to safely set up mid round swaps (a first for Thrawn/Ozzel squads). So yes I have used him as a swapper. His role in this squad was not only crucial but much larger than is first apparent.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:41:24 PM

Supreme Overlord Shimrra, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
72 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 23
Attack: 15

Special Abilities
Unique
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Master Tactician (You automatically choose who goes first except on a roll of 1)
Vonduun Crab Armor 6 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6)

Commander Effect
Whenever a Yuuzhan Vong ally misses an attack, it may reroll once. If the result is still a miss, the character is defeated and each other Yuuzhan Vong ally gets +1 Attack. (This bonus stacks.)

Supreme Overlord Shimrra is an expensive attacker/tech hybrid, who can be hard to use. His Commander Effect is great for setting off Nom Anor's self-destruct commander effect, or just helping crucial attacks to stick. He also has the very powerful Master Tactician, which can help him set up to unload his Triple Attack at the start of the round, or frustrate other Master Tactician squads. At 72 points, there's no way you can leave him out the back - he needs to come out and fight. He has some intimidating qualities - his attack and defense are top drawer, 130 hit points with Crab Armor 6 can take a while to wear down if you're only hitting for 10s or 20s, and he can be loaded up with lots of damage.

But at the same time, the Supreme Overlord feels too limited to be worth his 72 points - he can't do much damage on the move, so he only gets nasty if you're based against him. Shimrra is also very vulnerable to a heavy shooter squad - something like a Talon Karrde fringe squad or Cad Bane/Thrawn should be able to cut through him very quickly. He has some very strong components - his CE and Master Tactician are both very useful - but overall, he's disappointing, and he's probably the v-set unique who's most in need of a remake. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:17:46 PM

Elite Sith Trooper, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
13 points, Sith
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 17

These Sith Troopers make my head hurt.

Darth O hits the nail on the head with his comment that:

Quote:
These are lame. GARY can bring in Elite Scout Troopers for the same points, and they have stealth and evade for the same points as well as better stats.

Although the Elite Sith Trooper can pick up Double from a Sith Trooper Captain, it's still tough to build around them - with 40 hit points and no ranged defense, they're not especially robust. There are cheaper Sith Troopers for combining fire etc, and the slightly more expensive Gloom Walker and Gloom Walker Sniper are much better to build around: with 50 hit points, better stats. and stealth, they're well worth the extra points. The Elite Sith Trooper is caught in the middle - they're not bottom of the heap, but I can't see any reason why they'd ever see play in a squad that's aiming for optimisation, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:34:11 PM

Ulic Qel-Droma, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
61 points, Sith
Hit Points: 160
Attack: 16

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Master Speed (Force 1: This character can move 6 extra squares on his turn as part of his move)
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

Commander Effect
Your squad may include Mandalorian characters. Mandalorian allies with 6 squares gain Bodyguard.

After covering Shimmra yesterday on Rolling Mini of the Day, Ulic Qel-Droma is strangely similar - an expensive fighter/commander with great stats, lots of hit points, and useful Commander Effects, but also lacking in shooter defense, not very mobile, and ultimately over-costed.

Ulic's most interesting ability is allowing Mandalorians into the Sith faction - you can have weird combinations like Mando Scouts with Force Renewal via Sidious Hologram, or Mandalore the Vindicated getting Darth Bandon's CE. At 61 points just for Ulic, however, it's a tough squeeze to make interesting combinations work even at 200 points, although he might be more feasible for 500 point Epics. Additionally, the v-sets have provided Mandalore the Lesser, who also allows hybrid Sith/Mandalorian squads, and at 37 points, he's a more efficient piece with more space to build around. I'm also not sure of using Mandalorians as bodyguards - while bodyguard is a very useful strategic ability, most Mandos have low hit point to cost ratios.

Ulic's an interesting piece, but he's very limited as a damage dealer -his cost and his limitations mean that it's impossible to justify spending 61 points on him for any sort of competitive squad at 200 points. 4/10.
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 5:39:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:
Supreme Overlord Shimrra, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
72 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 130
Attack: 15

Special Abilities
Unique
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Master Tactician (You automatically choose who goes first except on a roll of 1)

Commander Effect
Whenever a Yuuzhan Vong ally misses an attack, it may reroll once. If the result is still a miss, the character is defeated and each other Yuuzhan Vong ally gets +1 Attack. (This bonus stacks.)

Supreme Overlord Shimrra is an expensive attacker/tech hybrid, who can be hard to use. His Commander Effect is great for setting off Nom Anor's self-destruct commander effect, or just helping crucial attacks to stick. He also has the very powerful Master Tactician, which can help him set up to unload his Triple Attack at the start of the round, or frustrate other Master Tactician squads. At 72 points, there's no way you can leave him out the back - he needs to come out and fight. He has some intimidating qualities - his attack and defense are top drawer, 130 hit points with Crab Armor 6 can take a while to wear down if you're only hitting for 10s or 20s, and he can be loaded up with lots of damage.

But at the same time, the Supreme Overlord feels too limited to be worth his 72 points - he can't do much damage on the move, so he only gets nasty if you're based against him. Shimrra is also very vulnerable to a heavy shooter squad - something like a Talon Karrde fringe squad or Cad Bane/Thrawn should be able to cut through him very quickly. He has some very strong components - his CE and Master Tactician are both very useful - but overall, he's disappointing, and he's probably the v-set unique who's most in need of a remake. 5/10.

But for a "wall" that wasn't on Rhen Var, I would have won the 2011 LowerHuttaCon with my Shimrra Bomb squad. No one had an answer to it and I was destined for my first Major win... until I lost Nom Anor who was standing behind a wall... well, it wasn't actually a wall. Lost my game against a Lancer squad (Bev) and was stalled out in a second close lost (which I panicked because of the dire position I had found myself in)... in those days, we went straight to a final - no semi! - and I finished third... Bah!!!!! It was awesome... and so began my love affair with the Yuuzhan Vong.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:43:37 PM

I finished second, so you would have played me in the semis:

I played this:
Quote:
--Ki-Blast--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
34 Ki-Adi-Mundi, Jedi Master
33 Captain Rex
27 Ferus Olin
23 Captain Panaka
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
9 Rodian Brute x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 12 activations)

You played this:
Quote:
--The Vong Invade Lower Hutt--
72 Supreme Overlord Shimrra
34 Nom Anor
27 Nen Yim
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Advance Agent, Officer
32 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x8
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(200pts. 16 activations)

It would have been interesting - I would probably be happy to trade Yobuck for your 8 Scouts if I could, and hope I could punch through Shimrra with Dark Temptation and Opportunist. I'd need decent rolls with that 23 defense and force immunity.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:58:26 PM

Chameleon Droid, from The Clone Wars

Quote:
26 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16

Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Wall Climber (This character ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving as long as a square it occupies and a square it is moving into are adjacent to a wall)
Invisibility (Cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies)
Mines 20 (An enemy that moves adjacent to this character takes 20 damage; save 11)

The Chameleon Droid is unusual enough that it can escape direct comparison to the IG-86 - the combination of mines and invisibility means that anything that wants to target it has to be adjacent and therefore roll a mines save, while R2-D2 Astromech can't fly over it without having to make his mine saves. It's also subject to all the normal droid boosts, so it can pick up twin and attack bonuses.

At the same time, it's probably not powerful enough for the cost to be a serious tournament option - a large base is one limitation, while the hit point to cost ratio isn't quite there, and a 10 hit point increase would make the Chameleon Droid much more viable, as there are lots of pieces that can punch through 60 hit points quickly - a failed save on Anakin Solo's Unleash The Force, Caedus Sith Lord with Cunning, and Yobuck with General Skywalker are all examples of pieces that can deal with the Chameleon Droid fairly easily. The Chameleon does provide some interesting tactical options with the ways that it can clog up hallways and block against pieces with Flight, but its 60 hit points are too easily dealt with for it to be top tier. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 12:12:22 PM

Here's a graph of the set by set ratings, as covered on the Rolling Mini of the Day. Obviously Shadows has a very low sample size, and I think The Clone Wars will improve, as the randomiser has been choosing the bad pieces. But by and large, it seems reasonable - I think Revenge of the Sith is often regarded as the worst set, while the sets with Huges like The Force Unleashed are also weaker.