Quote:
17 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 8
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

For a pure attacker from the first few sets, baby Boba is surprisingly good. Accurate shot, an attack of +8, along with Bounty Hunter +4, and double attack provides the framework for a respectable piece for 18 points. With no defensive abilities and 40 hit points, he's probably best in the Rebels or New Republic, where he can pick up Evade and Greater Mobile Attack from Rieekan/Wedge and a TBSV - both factions also have access to a sturdy source of twin, but no other damage boosts for him. At 18 points, he's not a bad choice for a Lobot reinforcement if you need an accurate shooter, although the Rodian Assassin is another cheap Fringe shooter who rivals him for playing time. While you'd be unlikely to see him on the top tables, Boba Fett Young Mercenary holds up better than almost any other attacker from the early sets, 6/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 6:53:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:
Boba Fett, Young Mercenary, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
17 points, Fringe

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

For a pure attacker from the first few sets, baby Boba is surprisingly good. Accurate shot, an attack of +8, along with Bounty Hunter +4, and double attack provides the framework for a respectable piece for 18 points. With no defensive abilities and 40 hit points, he's probably best in the Rebels or New Republic, where he can pick up Evade and Greater Mobile Attack from Rieekan/Wedge and a TBSV - both factions also have access to a sturdy source of twin, but no other damage boosts for him. At 18 points, he's not a bad choice for a Lobot reinforcement if you need an accurate shooter, although the Rodian Assassin is another cheap Fringe shooter who rivals him for playing time. While you'd be unlikely to see him on the top tables, Boba Fett Young Mercenary holds up better than almost any other attacker from the early sets, 6/10.

In Rebels Han Solo, Rebel Hero can give him Advantageous for a Damage Boost, but outside of that yeah that's pretty much about in in Faction for either Rebels or NR.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 7:14:25 PM
Groups: Member

Always forget about that Han - that is pretty good. I guess he might actually be playable in Mandos too - can become a Mando and get movement with Kelborn and twin from the Captain.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 7:30:04 PM

And in Mandos he can get Advantageous Attack from Mandalore the Resurrector (plus some easy pretty good attack boosts)

I've always liked Young Boba on paper, I don't remember the last time I used him, but he benefits from a lot of good CEs and fits pretty well in a few places...I had a buddy who used to run him a lot to good effectiveness, he is a piece that is many will ignore and you might regret it.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:12:48 PM

Mandalorian Sniper, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
15 points, Mandalorian
Attack: 7

Trooper (Counts as a character named Mandalorian Trooper)
Deadeye (On this character's turn, if doesn't move, gets +10 Damage)
Old Republic Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against Old Republic enemies)
Sniper (Other characters do not provide cover against this character's attack)

FlyingArrow wrote:
Sith Hunter (like all faction hunter abilities) is an inherently bad ability. It doesn't come into play very often (about 10% of the time if all factions are used in the same proportion), so it can't be costed appropriately. It's either incorporated into the cost (and almost always wasted, resulting in an overcosted piece) or it's a free bonus so that it unfairly penalizes one faction.

The Mandalorian Sniper fits into the former category - it's too weak to see play except against Old Republic squads. When Old Republic Hunter isn't in play, it's a weak accurate shooter - it has an attack of +7, 40 hit points, and no ranged defense. Trooper does open it up to help from the Mandalorian Sergeant, but it's still not worth 15 points in most cases.

Its only saving grace is that the Mandos do have a strong reinforcements piece in Jaster Mareel, so it can be bought in specifically for the Old Republic matchup. But depending on the build, the Sniper is still unlikely to be the best option; if you have lots of 10 damage shooters, the Mandalorian Scientist and Mandalorian Scout are probably often the best use of reinforcements 30. The Mandalorian Sniper probably makes a list of 10 least potent v-set pieces, 3/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:47:58 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Mandalorian Sniper, from Renegades and Rogues

FlyingArrow wrote:
Sith Hunter (like all faction hunter abilities) is an inherently bad ability. It doesn't come into play very often (about 10% of the time if all factions are used in the same proportion), so it can't be costed appropriately. It's either incorporated into the cost (and almost always wasted, resulting in an overcosted piece) or it's a free bonus so that it unfairly penalizes one faction.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. It was lazy design by WotC in my opinion to introduce this idea in the first place. That being said, I don't hate faction hunter abilities as purely flavor on a for-fun piece (ie - not competitive). We as a design team SHOULD still be making pieces that are for theme/flavor/fun rather than every piece being usable in a competitive game.

In fact - in early designs of a new piece we are designing, there is a brand new faction hunter ability.
darthwhovian
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:48:47 PM

I absolutely agree designers SHOULD make fun/theme pieces as well as competive pieces!! Not all players are tournament minded as others, this a GAME, not a sport!
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:52:09 PM

Hang on... this is a game?! How long has it been one of those? I always thought it was a lifestyle choice. Like oxygen. And love.
darthwhovian
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:56:26 PM

O hang on.... Is that sarcasum? Really I thought it was a choice to be a nerf herder arse!
kezzamachine
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:55:28 AM

Apologies. It was not meant as sarcasum [sic]. It was meant to highlight my personal belief that minis means far more to me personally than just a game or sport, but rather that I enjoyed the depth and bredth of it, which includes, but is not limited to, the strategy, the collegiality and the ability for it to unlock memories from several eras of my life. If I have caused you offense, it was not intended.
darthwhovian
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:46:43 AM

Hey no worries, I actually regretted posting that, my apologies. I agree that SWM is more than a game! I run my group of a few players and I'm the one keeping it going. I have found ways to keep players passionate about playing. Not only custom characters with complete backstories and origins, but my customizing of models, self made models. What I have found is key is the 3D terrain I make out of foamular. We hardly ever play on maps now, just use the grid. Bloomail me sometime, I would enjoy hearing how your group or yourself play! SWM for life:-)
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 12:41:35 PM

Elite Stormtrooper, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
11 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 16
Damage: 20

This piece is maybe the best example of a piece that's functionally obsolete. For the same cost, you can get a 501st Legion Stormtrooper, which has Rapport with a Vader, Squad Assault, and Squad Firepower (as well as a terrible paint-job). There's no reason to play the Elite Stormtrooper ever, unless it receives a specific boost. 1/10.

Oops - done this already, but didn't have it on my spreadsheet....
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 12:58:39 PM

TheHutts wrote:
you can get a 501st Legion Stormtrooper, which has Rapport with a Vader, Squad Assault, and Squad Firepower (as well as a terrible paint-job).

THE WORST PAINT JOB
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:10:40 PM

Fenn Shysa, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
27 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 18
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Mandalorian Protector (Counts as a character named Mandalorian Protector)
Beskar'gam (When this character takes damage, it reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Mandalorian Reserves 20 (If you roll a 16 for initiative, you can add up to 20 points of Mandalorian characters to your squad immediately before your first activation of the round)
Synergy +2 (Allied Mandalorian Protectors get +2 Attack and +2 Defense while another allied Mandalorian Protector is within 6 squares)

Commander Effect
Whenever damage is redirected to a character in your squad (including this character) from an enemy's attack, that character may make 1 immediate attack against the attacker as long as the attacker counts as a legal target.

Bodyguards are always very helpful, unless you're up against direct damage, and Fenn Shysa is one of the best bodyguards in the game. There's a lot going on with him, but most importantly he's a bodyguard with 90 hit points and Beskar'gam so he can take damage then neutralise some of it. He's also a passable shooter with a +12 attack and double, while he can also pick up twin from Mandalore the Resurrector. Fenn also works with the other Mandalorian Protectors, giving them +2 attack and defense, as well as reprise shots against the attacker as long as it's a legal target. While this is great against melee or against a strafer/galloper, it really needs Boba Fett Mercenary Commander's accurate shot CE to work against shooter squads, so it's not as effective as it sounds on paper. He also gives his CE to himself, so he can take reprise shots himself. On top of all this, he has reserves 20 on a 16.

Even though he has a bunch of tools, his core role is as a bodyguard who can help counter some builds with reprisal shots. He featured in the Matt Spry build which finished first after Swiss in the Atlanta 2013 Regional:

Quote:
--Another Mando Squad--
58 Mandalore the Vindicated
28 Kelborn
27 Fenn Shysa
27 Lobot
38 Mandalorian Scout x2
11 Death Watch Saboteur
11 Mandalorian Scientist
(200pts. 8 activations)

Fenn Shysa is one of the Mandalorian's top shelf options - they have enough options now that he's certainly not an auto-include, but he can add a lot to Mandalorian builds as a strafe and gallop counter, a bodyguard, and a respectable shooter, while he also opens up other builds with Mandalore the Resurrector and with Mandalorian Protectors. 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:41:09 PM

Princess Leia of Cloud City, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
14 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16

Special Abilities
Unique

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Sense (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters lose Stealth for the rest of the round)

Force Sense is useful, but it's difficult to justify ever playing Princess Leia of Cloud City when she doesn't do much else for her 14 points and she precludes the use of better Leias. Fortunately, the v-sets provide her with an opportunity to see play - if you're playing Princess Leia Rebel Commando, and really need Force Sense, you can use Versatility to bring Leia of Cloud City in. Even so, there's probably a good argument that you're better off relying on Lobot reinforcements for Stealth counters, leaving Leia of Cloud City only a tiny niche in competitive play, 5/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:47:55 PM

The Nice thing about Leia of Cloud City and Rebel Commando is she at least keeps that CE, so its a viable option for countering stealth if you need it. That being said, a lot of the good pieces that benefit from Leia, Rebel Commandos CE are either accurate shooters (Han) or Melee (Luke) so stealth isn't too hard for them to deal with. So yeah, marginal use but I do think that Rebel Commando helps her from being a Leia most never really think about.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:52:02 PM

Part of my thinking is that a lot of the better Stealth squads are force immune or have access to a force bubble - Nom bombs and Storm Commandos are two examples. Could be good against Arfan Ramos or Republic Commandos though - maybe the new super stealth options from v-set 8 help her out a bit.
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:58:48 PM

Republic Commandos was the specific example I was thinking of with Super Stealth, because yeah Imps and Vong will just ignore it. And not sure on OR since we haven't seen it do much yet (so early in the season.) NR is the only other group I can think of that just has access to straight Super Stealth without reliance on Stealth and I don't know if Mirith has done anything since release (competitively, she is very fun) so she wouldn't help there either...so yeah its gonna be rare you ever really need her.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:03:25 PM

If she were someone else other than Leia, I think she'd be a great 14 point filler.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:05:47 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
If she were someone else other than Leia, I think she'd be a great 14 point filler.

It would be hard to justify her over something like an Elite Rebel Commando. She's too situational to mainline most of the time. I do agree that it would be good to field several Lukes (Rebel Commando and Hero of Endor together!), Hans, or Leias in some builds, but I think she's one of the lesser ones.