RegisterDonateLogin

Official beverage of the Boonta Eve Classic.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:26:23 PM
Groups: Member

Ugnaught Jedi, from Vengeance

Quote:
19 points, Republic
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Burst (Force 2, replaces turn: 10 damage to all other characters within 6 squares)
Lightsaber Precision (Force 1: This character gets +10 Damage on his next attack)

It's hard to take the Ugnaught Jedi too seriously, since he feels like a v-set design team in-joke, as the flavour text indicates. I don't think anyone wants to see a Tier 1 Ugnaught Jedi swarm, so it's fitting that he has puny stats and low damage output, with 50 hit points and a single +8 attack. I doubt you'll ever see the Ugnaught Jedi anywhere near a competitive squad, but he does have a couple of positive attributes; Evade gives him some ranged defense, and Force Burst gives him potential for area damage. A cheap piece with Force Burst is interesting, but it's irrational to play the Ugnaught Jedi over Momaw Nadon, who's 5 points cheaper, who doesn't get shut down by Ysalamari/Force Defense, and whose War Throat replaces attacks rather than turn. He's unlikely to see competitive play, but I might just take him over Even Piell...... 5/10.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:07:55 PM

TheHutts wrote:
He's unlikely to see competitive play, but I might just take him over Even Piell...... 5/10.

LOL that's harsh LOL
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:42:45 PM

I do think that I'd never even consider him until his cost dropped at least as low as 15. But as Deri and others have said, he's just not a good or competitive design.

I do appreciate this discussion, since I think it does get at the heart of why only a small percentage of pieces are used at the competitive level. Even good and creative pieces, if costed too much, would not get used. I can't see myself using Aayla Secura Jedi Knight (the new one, with Twin and Force Pull) if she costed 35pts rather than her 29. So even good pieces are in the bin of eternal darkness with bad costing.

Perhaps a more telling example (because it's not a dead-boring piece) for a re-costing analysis would be....

Shaak Ti, Jedi Master 47

Hit Points: 130
Defense: 20
Attack: 13

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Affinity (May be in a Rebel squad)
Crowd Fighting (This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than her target)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Riposte (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker)

She’s got a number of cool things going, with great stats and Cunning and stealth and MotF2 with Block/Riposte. But she never gets played because 47pts is too much for her in today’s game.

So my question is, What cost would Shaak Ti, JM need to be in order for you to consider her in a competitive squad build?
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:53:40 PM

May I suggest the simple solution of not creating too many over powerful pieces or trying to make pieces playable by just throwing some stuff at them.
For instance I just saw a new Han giving out +4, +4, twin, and opportunist just to make an old piece playable when giving him +4, +4 and opportunist would have been more than enough.

A lot of the flavor is lost when pieces get too many overpowered abilities. i think General Grievous, HoH and Aurra Sing are the best examples of this I can think of. Two characters that have great squad building potential (cool synergy in the "verse" with characters), but are wasted on making one individual piece very powerful.

A push for squad building characters is what is needed IMO whether than character's just for character's sake.
That Shaak Ti can be playable if certain new pieces helped out a tad. A simple thing like Council Member from the Legends set would help a lot. (+2 saves and +2 defense when activated) this makes her block save go to a 9 and than she can riposte it, her defense (when activated, she has cunning so she should be activated early) to a 22 and she has duelist.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:44:57 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm going to go with 33 for Shaak Ti, JM. She's better than Aayla/Serra and worse than Quinlan, Double Agent. Closer to Aayla/Serra.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:35:42 PM

TheHutts,

Can you show us the current breakdown? How many pieces have received each rating. I ask because your ratings are pretty much spot on for competitiveness, and you've done enough that the percentages should be pretty much the same for whatever hasn't been rated yet. I'm curious how many competitive pieces (rated 7+) there are, and we should be able to project that at this point.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:01:15 PM

It looks like I overuse the rating 5 a bit; if I was starting from scratch I'd probably make 7-8 into three ratings, and fold 3-4-5 into two ratings.

I've covered around 31.6% of v-sets and 31.4% of wotc pieces, so the ratings should be indicative of the game as a whole, until the next v-set comes out.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:07:21 PM

Wow - nearly half of the pieces are playable (7+) in some squad. That's surprising to me. The 32% for WotC pieces is probably quite a bit higher than it was when the game ended. I think the Vsets have resurrected a pretty good number of WotC pieces.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:10:04 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Wow - nearly half of the pieces are playable (7+) in some squad. That's surprising to me. The 32% for WotC pieces is probably quite a bit higher than it was when the game ended. I think the Vsets have resurrected a pretty good number of WotC pieces.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at the 68% for v-sets - that's really about what they should be shooting for imo. But 32% of WOTC is high - and it doesn't count a few pieces like Republic Commandos and Commando Droids that I covered before they got boosted in the GenCon 2014 sets.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:46:14 PM

Cilghal, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
25 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Heal 30 (Force 2, replaces attacks: touch; remove 30 damage from a living character)
Jedi Mind Trick (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 2; target living enemy is considered activated this round and cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn; save 11)

Healing isn't a strong strategy most of the time. Sure, you can make an annoying squad with Cighal and her little friend Tekli healing up a tank like Luke Skywalker Master of the Order; between them, with their Augment Healing and Force Heal 30, they can heal 120 damage in a round. But in general, healing station squads work much better in theory than in reality - you either need a way of getting your main piece back into a healing zone or to bring your healers into the forefront. Additionally, Cilghal and Tekli can only heal twice each without force spirits, and if you lose one of them, your healing ability drops by 75%. The New Republic are probably better off using Dr Evazan or Vergere - Evazan Galactic Criminal comes with some risks, he's a very efficient healer and can contribute in other ways too, while Vergere's Coral Implants, Heal 20, and Force Spirit also make her a stronger tournament option for a New Republic rock squad. Outside healing, Cilghal is an unremarkable Jedi - Jedi Mind Trick is helpful, but she's unlikely to see play outside of her healing abilities, and she's largely relegated to the casual scene, 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:13:27 PM

Emperor Palpatine on Throne, from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
33 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 21
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Emplacement (Cannot move or be moved. Set up anywhere on your half of the battle map.)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Renewal 3 (This character gets 3 Force points each time he activates)
Force Lightning 3 (Force 3, replaces turn: range 6; 40 damage to target and 2 characters adjacent to that target. Huge or smaller characters are considered activated this round; save 11.)
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)

Commander Effect
Characters in your squad can spend this character's Force points. (A character still can't spend Force points more than once per turn and can't combine its own Force points with this character's.)

Emperor Palpatine on Throne is one of the most badass pieces in the game; he can sit in his chair in gambit, evade shots (I guess he spins his chair around?), throw lightning at people, and provide force points for the rest of his squad. While an adjacent diplomat does admittedly cramp his style, he's formidable in tandem with Darth Vader Unleashed - he can power up Vader to use his Force Grips and Lightsaber Throws, but at the same time it wasn't necessarily a top tier combo. Palpatine on Throne did sneak into second place in the 2009 Dallas Regional, in a TBSV build, and possibly made some appearances at other Regionals too, but didn't feature at all in the 2010 GenCon Championship tournament (a good yardstick for what pieces were significant immediately before the v-sets).

One of the most significant additions to the Imperials with the v-sets is Admiral Pellaeon, who does interesting things for Palpatine. On one hand, his Ysalamari means that force users aren't very valuable in Pellaeon squads. On the other hand, Pellaeon's Commander Effect means that you can start with Palpatine in the middle of the board, and swap in a cheaper Imperial piece for pseudo-Forward Positioning, allowing you to make first round attacks easily on some maps. At 31 points, Arica is a leading candidate for this trick. While Pellaeon's Ysalamari anchors most competitive Imperial squads, there are still plenty of Imperial force users who benefit from Palpatine - plenty of Tier 2 builds with him, I just wouldn't expect to see him at tournaments much, apart from the Emplacement and commander swap trick. It's ignominious for the leader of the Empire, relegated to a parlour trick, don't you think? 7/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:27:39 PM

7 sounds right, even if you're not using him to swap someone forward.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:34:10 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I was debating between a 6 and a 7. He is a pretty efficient force battery too, it's just not what the Imperials are good at.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:44:22 PM

TheHutts wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I was debating between a 6 and a 7. He is a pretty efficient force battery too, it's just not what the Imperials are good at.

Yeah, most of the pieces that would even need more than the Force Points Imperials have are (fittingly) Vader. He might have a use with Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith since he can burn through Force Points. Regardless of comptetive usefulness he is certainly Fun! 6 or 7 seems fair
Mando
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 5:47:01 AM

Does Palpatine on Throne's competitiveness increase now with the 10pt gambit? You get 10 points almost instantly since he sits in gambit 1st round.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 9:46:42 AM

Mando wrote:
Does Palpatine on Throne's competitiveness increase now with the 10pt gambit? You get 10 points almost instantly since he sits in gambit 1st round.

I'd say yes, but only to a small degree. I don't know if it pushes him to top tier
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 10:24:30 AM

This is from page 43:

TheHutts wrote:
TJ and I have been talking about the rating system on SHNN chat, I think it would be good to codify the ratings between 2 and 6, so they're clearer. Obviously 1 means useless, 7 is just about competitive, 8-10 are various levels of competitive, and 11 is a power piece.

So here are some rough guides for the rest:
2 - unplayable, but not completely useless
3 - only playable if you're playing casual/draft type games
4 - mediocre/below average
5 - average
6 - situationally good

Could you put the rating scale on the first post for reference? Something like this?

1 - Useless. In any squad, there is a better option to do the same thing.
2 - Unplayable. While not strictly replaced by another piece, in any squad (even at a casual level) there is a better use for the points.
3 - Casual only. Interesting enough that you might want to pull it out for a casual game, but it will make your squad worse - even in a casual game.
4 / 5 - Mediocre / Average. If these pieces are in a competitive squad, they are making the squad worse.
6 - Situationally good. You might see this piece in a competitive game, but it's either a reinforcements-only option or it really only fits into one specific build.
7 - Barely Competitive. These pieces are not out of place in a Tier 1 squad, but they are not pieces you would build around. Probably need synergy to work well.
8 or 9 - Competitive. Tier 1 options.
10 - Very strong. These are pieces so strong that you build squads around them.
11 - Power piece. Pieces that get complaints about being broken. Strong tech pieces that show up in squad after squad after squad.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 4:20:28 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Cilghal, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
25 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18

Special Abilities
Unique

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Heal 30 (Force 2, replaces attacks: touch; remove 30 damage from a living character)
Jedi Mind Trick (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 2; target living enemy is considered activated this round and cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn; save 11)

Healing isn't a strong strategy most of the time. Sure, you can make an annoying squad with Cighal and her little friend Tekli healing up a tank like Luke Skywalker Master of the Order; between them, with their Augment Healing and Force Heal 30, they can heal 120 damage in a round. But in general, healing station squads work much better in theory than in reality - you either need a way of getting your main piece back into a healing zone or to bring your healers into the forefront. Additionally, Cilghal and Tekli can only heal twice each without force spirits, and if you lose one of them, your healing ability drops by 75%. The New Republic are probably better off using Dr Evazan or Vergere - Evazan Galactic Criminal comes with some risks, he's a very efficient healer and can contribute in other ways too, while Vergere's Coral Implants, Heal 20, and Force Spirit also make her a stronger tournament option for a New Republic rock squad. Outside healing, Cilghal is an unremarkable Jedi - Jedi Mind Trick is helpful, but she's unlikely to see play outside of her healing abilities, and she's largely relegated to the casual scene, 5/10.

It's very true that healing is almost never a useful tactic. The only piece that has ever really been competitive in that role has been Dr. Evazan, but a big part of his usefulness is his auto-30 dmg. We tried to address the healing mechanic when I worked on the micro-set in V-Set 5. This was my post on the topic:

Quote:
The major problem with healing so far has been that...
1. it requires the healer to be adjacent to the target, which is especially significant because of #2:
2. most of the healers (certainly the cheaper ones) are very fragile, which means that they die pretty quickly
3. the amount of healing has generally been quite low (10/20 dmg) or else very expensive (4 fp for Heal 40 on Cade BH)...in either case, it hasn't been worthwhile, especially considering #4:
4. the healers really can't do anything but heal (since all healing replaces attacks), and so you're dropping an attacker for a healer or else not attacking with a main piece because you're healing instead.

But what if healing did not replace attacks, but was instead a "usable once-per-turn on this character's turn" kind of ability, and did not require adjacency? That would allow the healer to be a semi-decent attacker while still being able to play their healing role. Also, if the healing required Range 6 and LOS rather than adjacency, it could actually be useful.

As a result, we came up with these abilities for Mako:
Medical Scan (Usable once per round on this character’s turn; range 12; remove 10 damage from a living ally)
Combat Medic (When this character is within 6 squares of an enemy character, add +10 to the amount of damage removed from target character when this character uses an ability that removes damage from an ally)

Medical Scan is a good ability, but it's not seen much because it's on an overcosted piece. Combat Medic makes it worthwhile for her to get into the thick of the action, rather than sitting way in the back filing paperwork.

So, even if Mako herself is not competitive, I do think that her healing mechanic is. My opinion is that free and ranged healing is the way to go for a competitive healer.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 7:58:24 PM

Speaking of healers.....

Jedi Healer, from Masters of the Force

Quote:
18 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 17

Special Abilities

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)

In the scheme of WOTC's healing pieces, the Jedi Healer isn't too bad; he's not as efficient as Dr Evazan Galactic Criminal, but he's at least a relatively cheap piece, 40 hit points gives him a tiny bit of staying power, and with Force Heal 30 and Renewal, he can heal up a fair bit of damage. While you're unlikely to see him on the competitive tables, he wouldn't disgrace himself either. He can make Satele Shan even harder to kill, or take some damage off a key shooter like Atton 'Jaq' Rand or Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier. Like most healing pieces, he's a one trick pony; although he can attack, he's not going to last long in the thick of the action. The Jedi Healer is a solid enough healing piece, but the Old Republic have better options, 6/10.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:31:53 PM

It would be interesting to see them with The Jedi Exile, Hero of Onderon. They're really cheap for having renewal (tied with two V-set pieces for 4th cheapest), so they'll usually be able to take advantage of the Exile's CE. That doesn't make them good attackers or suddenly validate healing as a competitive strategy, but they would definitely last longer. I would be interested in seeing if they are less not-competitive when boosted by the Exile. If only the OR had someone with Leia Skywalker, JK's CE...