Wookiee Jedi, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
35 points, Republic
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 14
Attack: 11
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Affinity (May be in a New Republic or Old Republic squad)
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Splash 10 (If this character's attack hits, all characters adjacent to the target take 10 damage; save 11. If the attack misses, the target and all adjacent characters take 10 damage; save 11.)

Force Powers
Force 3
Indiscriminate Rage (Force 1: +2 Attack and +10 Damage until the end of this character's turn. At the end of that turn, make a save of 11. If the save fails, this character gains Savage.)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

If you're an all offense, no defense kind of player, then the Wookiee Jedi is the piece for you. With no defensive abilities, a defense of 14, and splash (on a melee piece), the Wookiee Jedi isn't going to last long, even with 120 points. But it can do a bunch of damage while it's alive, with all sorts of attacking goodness - Indiscriminate Rage, Lightsaber Sweep, Splash, and Cleave allow it to damage a cluster of enemy pieces quickly.

With access to three different factions, the Wookiee Jedi can access a huge number of synergies. If you want to give it some defense, it can pick up a Lightsaber Style from Cin Drallig or Lightsaber Defense from Anakin Solo Galactic Hero. If you want to up its damage, it can access Momentum from General Skywalker or Rolling Cleave from Commander Ahsoka (which works in tandem with regular Cleave). They can also pick up +2 Speed and a cannon shot from Chief Tarrful. I've never seen them played in the Old Republic, and without a movement breaker there, they're probably less effective there, but they have a ton of synergy options in the Republic.

I haven't seen evidence of Wookiee Jedi performing really well at top tier competition - I can't remember them placing in the top 4 in a Regional - but they're certainly an interesting piece with lots of different options, 7/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:44:32 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Theoretically capable of killing Darth Bane in one turn (200 hp). With Momentum and Rolling Cleave in the Republic...

Momentum Sweep on Bane and two other enemies with 40 HP each (both adjacent to Bane). Hit both enemies first. 4 attacks on those guys. Bane fails 4 Splash saves: 40 damage. Cleave and Rolling Cleave attacks on Bane are both Twin attacks: 120 damage total. Then the regular attacks from Sweep for 60 more damage. 220 damage total. (And the Wookiee rolled 10 Splash saves of his own, too.)
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:46:31 PM
Groups: Member

I'd really like to go higher on them - I think an 8 would be fair - but it's hard to justify when they've never really made a splash in competitive games at 200 AFAIK.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:53:18 PM

Splash! Ha!

It's top end damage output fits a situation that doesn't really exist: high HP pieces clumped together. When do you really need a Twin Sweep? You need a sweep against swarms that can't help but bunch up, in which case you've paid for a Twin you don't need. Cleave/Sweep (or even Rolling Cleave, too) is awesome to pour damage on one big enemy, but that means the opponent has to give you that option by leaving a low HP figure next to the high HP figure. In most cases, he's fighting a swarm with way more damage than necessary (so you overpaid), or he's fighting a Rock where the Sweep and Cleave can't be used, and he maxes out at +13/30 twice (or +17/40 twice with Momentum). That's not bad, but with his Splash hitting himself and that 14 defense, there are probably better options instead.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:54:58 PM

Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
62 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 20
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Bounty Hunter +6 (+6 Attack against Unique enemies)
Disintegration (If this character rolls a natural 20 on an attack, the target is defeated)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Controversial pieces certainly aren't the sole preserve of the v-sets - while fringe shooters with much higher damage outputs have come along and made Boba Bounty Hunter look faintly quaint in comparison, he used to be the most feared piece in the game, and he raised plenty of heckles along the way.

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
I can count over 12 people I know who stopped playing alot because of him, or just flat out quit. Now i ask you...

While he's been outstripped in terms of power level over the years - for instance Cad Bane can put out twice as much damage and has similar durability - it's the threat of Disintegration that still makes Boba Fett Bounty Hunter a notable piece. While you shouldn't underestimate Boba's 120 hit points and accurate shot, he is overcosted for the modern game. But the 5% chance of a disintegration on each shot Boba makes him a threat - it's often good practice to bring in a bodyguard against him.

Back in 2007, this was the GenCon winning squad:

Quote:
2007 (150) Dr_Divot
Broken Boba AE (150)
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
09 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
52 Jedi Weapon Master (x2)
08 Wicket
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist (x3)
09 Ewok (x3)

Boba BH's not really a meta piece anymore, as he's just too expensive compared to more competitive fringe shooters like Cad Bane, Boba Assassin, and Dash Renegade Smuggler, but there are still some interesting things you can do with him. You can pair him with Bothan Nobles for cannon shots, and while I don't know that this billiv15 squad is top tier, it looks fun and squeezes 120 GMA damage out of Boba:

Quote:
--Greater Mobile Boba--
62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
49 The Jedi Exile
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
23 Jarael
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(200pts. 10 activations)

Outside of the 200 point format, Boba BH is a monster in Epic squads with Epic Lord Hoth and Bastila - he can run 12 squares then shoot everything he can see, with plenty of chances for a big disintegration. Boba's time at 200 points is gone and it's hard to argue that he's a meta piece any more, but a high hit point accurate shooter with built in mobile and evade, along with the threat of disintegration, still warrants a 7/10.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:51:33 AM

was the ultimate chase piece in his day!

I got so tired of getting the big D, that I spend $60 on this piece.Unsure ( I must have been totally stoned)
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:20:50 PM

He's totally worth it if you ever play Epics though. I'd like to have one just for prestige, but I don't really have any chase pieces at all.

Feral Voxyn, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
20 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 18
Attack: 8
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Double Attack (On its turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Jedi Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Paralysis (A living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11)
Vonduun Crab Armor 11 (When this character takes damage, it can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)

We covered the Voxyn Queen a few pages back, and the Feral Voxyn is more of the same. It's a fun casual or scenario piece, like if you want to recreate the Mission to Myrkr, but a large melee piece is going to struggle in competitive play unless it's crazy good (ie IG-Lancer Droid). There are plenty of ways to boost its damage, with shaper and scarification, and Paralysis is near too, but you're better off using a Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter in tournament play. The Feral Voxyn is a well done piece, it's just not the type of piece that's going to make an impact competitively. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:21:59 PM

Sandtrooper, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
8 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 16
Attack: 4

It's fair to say that the 2013-14 season of competitive SWM saw an Imperial trooper bonanza, especially in New Zealand where Admiral Daala won everything. But while Raxus Primes, Elite Scouts, and Snowtroopers were out of the box and kicking butt all over the place, the Sandtrooper didn't see much action. It's not hard to see why; as is noted on its profile page, it's:

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
Basically a Stormtrooper with Damage 20 for 3 extra points.

And while the Snowtroopers have a couple of significant specific boosts, the only specific commander for the Sandtrooper is the Sandtrooper Officer, who hands out Deadeye and Squad Assault - obviously Deadeye isn't a good marriage with Daala's Charging Assault. So given that you're only likely to see trooper squads in conjunction with Daala, the Sandtrooper's just not a good fit with Daala, and is unlikely to see play, 3/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:27:33 PM

I LOVE Sandtroopers, they aren't very comptetive, but they can be super super fun. While Deadeye does not work well with Daala it works great with Agent of Evil who also hands out Careful Shot and Double Attack. Built this forever ago:

--Vader Returns home 2.0--
65 Darth Vader, Agent of Evil
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
20 Sandtrooper Officer
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
56 Sandtrooper x7

"Fun Vader Sandtrooper squad. The Officer is a shockingly good shot and can hit for 40 damage, sandtroopers can hit for 40 a shot 2xs if they stand still at +20 attack with Careful, Opportunist and squad assault. Ozzel brings in the Officer if he dies and Vader brings in Sand or Stormtroopers"
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:29:32 PM

These were viable when the zygerrian was still able to drive things. You could go extra far and still get an extra 10 damage. 3 zygerrians and charging assault and Flim could send him 48 squares in one round. By the time you do all that work to get him there you would want as much damage as possible so that extra ten matters.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:20:55 PM

@AndyHatton: The Agent of Evil stuff is interesting, and you're right that Deadeye and Careful Shot are a good match. I do think the Sandtrooper is easily the weakest of the Imperial basic troopers - Raxus Primes, Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, and Sandtroopers - but maybe they should be rated a little higher given all the synergies they can access. I think the big problem is that 10 hit points on a 8 point trooper is starting to get problematic; that's the main reason why I wouldn't play them. I'd rather have 20 hit points and 10 damage, like the Snowtrooper - it's easy enough to boost damage, but there's no way to boost hit points.

@FlyingArrow - I do remember the Sandtrooper squads you were building, but obviously losing the Zygerrian hurts them.
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:48:05 PM

TheHutts wrote:
@AndyHatton: The Agent of Evil stuff is interesting, and you're right that Deadeye and Careful Shot are a good match. I do think the Sandtrooper is easily the weakest of the Imperial basic troopers - Raxus Primes, Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, and Sandtroopers - but maybe they should be rated a little higher given all the synergies they can access. I think the big problem is that 10 hit points on a 8 point trooper is starting to get problematic; that's the main reason why I wouldn't play them. I'd rather have 20 hit points and 10 damage, like the Snowtrooper - it's easy enough to boost damage, but there's no way to boost hit points.

I'm not sure they should be too much higher (a 4 still seems good, 5 max,) like you said they are certainly the worst of the basic trooper and that 10 HP comes up enough that it is a downside. I like the way they look and I like Agent of Evil enough to see they synergize with him, but outside of that I'd rather bring along Scout Troopers or your basic Stormtrooper especially when you can get 3 for the price of 2 for the latter.
harryg
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:00:21 PM

TheHutts wrote:
He's totally worth it if you ever play Epics though. I'd like to have one just for prestige, but I don't really have any chase pieces at all.

Feral Voxyn, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
20 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Attack: 8
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Double Attack (On its turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Jedi Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Paralysis (A living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11)
Vonduun Crab Armor 11 (When this character takes damage, it can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)

We covered the Voxyn Queen a few pages back, and the Feral Voxyn is more of the same. It's a fun casual or scenario piece, like if you want to recreate the Mission to Myrkr, but a large melee piece is going to struggle in competitive play unless it's crazy good (ie IG-Lancer Droid). There are plenty of ways to boost its damage, with shaper and scarification, and Paralysis is near too, but you're better off using a Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter in tournament play. The Feral Voxyn is a well done piece, it's just not the type of piece that's going to make an impact competitively.

So, um, what's the actual rating for the piece?
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:23:07 PM

Oops, I meant to give him 5/10. Perfectly good casual piece, nowhere near competitive level. I've never run Voxyn stuff though, so if anyone has any insights that would be appreciated. Seems like you could make them really nasty, but with large bases and no movement breakers, they're going to struggle against any tournament level squad.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:32:11 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

I'm not sure they should be too much higher (a 4 still seems good, 5 max,) like you said they are certainly the worst of the basic trooper and that 10 HP comes up enough that it is a downside. I like the way they look and I like Agent of Evil enough to see they synergize with him, but outside of that I'd rather bring along Scout Troopers or your basic Stormtrooper especially when you can get 3 for the price of 2 for the latter.

Yeah, with Momaw running about now, 10 HP is not nearly enough for an 8 point investment, considering the other options Bored
harryg
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:17:44 AM

Given the verdict on the Snowtrooper Officer's Rapport, do you think he's still a power 11 piece?
juice man
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:14:33 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Jak knows all about The Fettman in Epics.OMG He won the prize for best agonized scream, when his Epic got vaporized by him.LOL
jak
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:42:52 AM

juice man wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
Jak knows all about The Fettman in Epics.OMG He won the prize for best agonized scream, when his Epic got vaporized by him.LOL

I had Fett in my squad too.I was winning that karkin' game.
I was marking 40 dmg on Lord Hoth, when my opponent reminded me of the big D.
Cursing OMG Angry then I just screamed............no!........that's impossible!...............
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:59:48 PM

harryg wrote:
Given the verdict on the Snowtrooper Officer's Rapport, do you think he's still a power 11 piece?

I've been wondering what to do about the pieces that have been affected by new pieces/errata. I probably would take the Snowtrooper Officer down to a 10 with the errata, although he's still really good. But there are a few pieces that have been improved by pieces from the last set - Commando Droids are better than a 1 now, the WOTC Republic Commandos are improved since they can be in squads with the new ones. But it's probably too fussy to change the ratings every time a set comes out.

But I would like my list of Power 11 pieces to be definitive, so I've gone through and updated it. He's still a really good piece though imo - Snowtroopers are still super strong, even with all the errata, as long as you don't run into Yobuck/Lancer/etc.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:22:17 PM

Senate Commando, from Galaxy at War

Quote:
20 points, Republic
Attack: 9
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of
moving)

If games were decided by raw firepower, Senate Commandos are hard to top. They have a commander who gives them twin (Captain Argyus), as well as easy access to stat boosts and Opportunist. In a squad with GOWK, Yularen, and Argyus, you can have them shooting at +21 for 40s four times against an adjacent enemy. Of course, especially for more experienced players, the game is much more nuanced than being just about pure damage output - while Senate Commandos are power houses for their cost, they need to stand still to get their 120 damage off, and unless they're playing against a slow moving rock type squad, that's not going to happen more than once in a game very often. The Republic, with their lack of tempo control, can often get away with a lot of power in this type of build without breaking anything. They're still a good piece - you can obviously tow one around with R2 Astromech, or swap one in with Panaka, for a 120 damage hit, but they're still far less nasty in Republic than they could be in say, the Imperials.

I'm mainly just justifying why the Senate Commandos have resolutely remained a Tier 1.5 or Tier 2 build since release despite their spectacular damage potential. They're still a really good piece; they're subject to all sorts of Commander Effects, and as well as the obvious twin from Argyus they can pick up Mobile and Rapport from Amidala, Momentum from General Skywalker, death shots from Mon Mothma, and plenty of other great CEs. I don't know that there's a top tier build with them - builds with GOWK and Argyus are probably too static to keep up with tournament builds, and while they have some interesting potential in swap builds, but there are better options out there. Senate Commandos are still plenty strong - base 30 damage, 50 hit points, and access to twin makes a strong piece, and if you enjoy playing Republic it's well worth picking some up. 8/10.