RegisterDonateLogin

One milk, two milk, red milk, Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 10:09:12 PM
Groups: Member

TheHutts wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
I won a tournament in 2009 with this squad:
--Rebelishious--
27 Lobot
25 Bossk, Bounty Hunter
19 Djas Puhr
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
14 General Rieekan
13 Czerka Scientist
12 Garindan
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse
3 Mouse Droid

(148pts. 10 activations)

Do you think he deserves more than a 3? Basing a squad around a mega-boosted unique is a risky strategy with Bastila around (although you're less likely to run into her at 150 points). It feels like you could make something similar but more reliable with Ganner/Dash/Jagged/Dodonna in NR.

No no. A 3 is accurate. It was just a funny side note. This was pre Bastila, and I was purposefully challenging myself in a weak field. He might have been a 5 back then. (2010?)
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 3:47:39 PM

Alexi Garyn, Head of the Black Sun, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
25 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 17
Attack: 10
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Black Sun Vigo
Doctrine of Fear (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Attack)
Rapport (Black Sun characters cost 1 less when in the same squad as this character)
Ruthless (Critical hits from this character cannot be prevented or redirected)
Vicious Attack (Triple damage instead of double on a critical hit)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, 1 non-Unique Black Sun ally within 6 squares can make an immediate attack.

Alexi Garyn has two huge red herrings on his card - Ruthless and Vicious Attack simply aren't significant on a commander who won't attack too often, and are probably just there for flavour. What he does offer is a cannon CE, which is always very useful, as well as Doctrine of Fear on a relatively robust piece. The cannon CE arguably isn't as useful as it is on other pieces, as in most situations he'll be cannoning pieces who are cheaper than him, and it may be more efficient to have an extra attacker instead of Alexi. If he could cannon uniques, I'm sure he'd be popular with the new Guri or with the Cad Bane/Nautolan Black Sun Vigo combo.

Alexi Garyn has barely been used in Bloomilk listed squads to date, and I think perhaps the red herrings of Ruthless and Vicious Attack distract from his true purpose. But Cannon CE and Doctrine of Fear are both great tools for a squad, he's fairly priced, and I think there's some potential for Black Sun squads including him somewhere. 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 9:09:07 PM

Elite Wookiee Commando, from Galactic Heroes

Quote:
19 points, Republic
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Artillerist (+4 Attack against enemies with Flight)
Droid Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against Droid enemies)
Enraged Reactions (Once per turn, when hit by an attack, this character may make an immediate attack against that attacker if he can)
Wall Climber (This character ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving as long as a square he occupies and a square he is moving into are adjacent to a wall)

I want to like the Elite Wookiee Commando, since Wookiees are intrinsically awesome, but a lot of its price tag comes from Enraged Reactions - a reasonably simple ability to play around unless you're running a mostly melee squad. Because the Elite Wookiee Commandos were released in the same set as Chief Tarrful, they're often run with him, but other non-unique Wookiees from the v-sets, the Wookiee Thug and Wookiee Jedi, are arguably stronger options for Tarrful squads. With 70 hit points the Elite Wookiee is a decent scrub, but I don't think you can get enough damage out of it to justify the 19 points, unless your opponent gives you lots of chances for Enraged Reactions. 6/10.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:20:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:
Alexi Garyn, Head of the Black Sun, from Scum and Villainy

Alexi Garyn has barely been used in Bloomilk listed squads to date, and I think perhaps the red herrings of Ruthless and Vicious Attack distract from his true purpose. But Cannon CE and Doctrine of Fear are both great tools for a squad, he's fairly priced, and I think there's some potential for Black Sun squads including him somewhere. 7/10.

Seems like a GM Tarkin/Xizor squad with Vigos could be fun.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:35:41 PM

Old Republic Captain, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 16
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Commander Effect
Old Republic followers within 6 squares get +3 Defense and gain Squad Assault.

One of the Old Republic's signature abilities is low attack ratings, and the Old Republic Captain helps get around that. He can give a swarm of Old Republic followers an attack upgrade, as well as a defense bonus for all Old Republic followers. But these boosts do come with a limitation - squad abilities are always hard to pull off anyway, and his CE is range six and on a relatively fragile piece. If the Old Republic Captain was rangeless he'd be a really good piece, and despite his limitations his CE is pivotal enough that he sees some play in some Old Republic squads - for instance, he's a solution for the low attack scores that result when you put Bastila JM and an Arkanian Jedi General in the same squad. With his limitations of a ranged CE and his fragility, he's probably just outside of the competitive spectrum, but he's still a potentially useful tool for some Old Republic builds, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:03:25 PM

Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
65 points, Republic
Hit Points: 150
Defense: 22
Attack: 16

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, he can make 1 immediate extra attack)
Vaapad Style Mastery (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 17, 18, 19, or 20 and does triple damage instead of double on a critical hit)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 2 (This character gets 2 Force points each time he activates)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)
Force Absorb (Force 2: Cancel a Force power used by an adjacent character)
Lightsaber Reflect (Force 2: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11 and the attacker takes 10 damage, save 11)
Lightsaber Riposte (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker)

I'm almost reluctant to cover this Mace on Mini of the Day, as he's the most controversial piece to come out in the v-set era; threads like "Sooo... R&R Mace Windu..." were a big part of Bloomilk back upon Mace's release, and I don't really want to start another painful thread about how Mace is so broken. A 65 point melee piece needs to be very strong to have a chance in this game. The things that arguably push Mace over the top are Force Absorb, which means that he counters some pieces like Lord Vader and Mara Jade Jedi, as he can force absorb their Assaults, as well as his partnership with General Obi-Wan Kenobi (GOWK). While fast moving Mace squads with Panaka and General Skywalker have also been popular, his biggest success has been in tandem with GOWK - GOWK's own Soresu Style Mastery and CE provide Mace with some relief from shooters, which are his toughest matchup.

Mace is powerful, but he can have problems against shooters, especially shooters with high enough attack ratings to make a dent in his high defense - builds like a Thrawn/Cad Bane combo, a Talon Karrde fringe shooter squad, a Naboo Pilot squad, and a Daala Snowtrooper swarm should all be able to take him. On the other hand, Mace is a huge headache for melee based squads - with 150 hit points, Riposte, Absorb, Master of the Force 2, and a great stat line, he's a handful. He does have another achilles heel along with his vulnerability to shooters; he's very reliant on good dice to reach a reasonable amount of damage for his cost. If Mace doesn't roll any crits, he's only putting out 60 damage per turn, which isn't very impressive for his cost. If he is rolling well, he theoretically has an infinite damage limit, but in plenty of games with him I've never seen him create too much havoc in one turn - if you spread your pieces out sufficiently, you should be able to stop a second major piece taking damage if Mace's Flurries get out of control. A bodyguard or a Human Force Adept through Lobot's reinforcements can also keep him under control.

Mace is a really strong piece - even just his high stat line, especially in conjunction with GOWK's CE, can cause otherwise strong squads some headaches. He won GenCon in 2012, in the hands of TINT, in this build:
Quote:
--This Party's Over--
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
33 Captain Rex
27 Lobot
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Rodian Diplomat
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 8 activations)

But on the other hand, every man and his dog played him during the 2012 Regional season, but only a couple of players, TINT and Hinkbert, enjoyed major success with him. And in the current meta, with Talon Karrde squads and Daala squads enjoying great popularity, I'm not sure that Mace is even a very good choice. I actually really enjoy playing him and, like almost every attacker in the game, I don't even think he deserves an 11 rating; most of the 11s are reserved for movement breakers, tempo control, and other uber-commanders, Mace is merely a strong 10/10.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:49:33 AM

I never could understand why people thought Mace, LotLS was broken. When I see him, I just see a reliable 60dmg per turn. I don't see him rolling crits, even though he has better odds of rolling one than most. But if he does roll one, good for the person using him! But in most cases, I've seen him just do 60dmg to my pieces and on the occasion a crit was rolled, it was overkill and that piece would have died in a few more hits anyways. Sure its frustrating if it happens every attack, but it really doesn't happen that way in practice. There are so many counters to him, that I find him strong, but definetly not broken. If you've got lobot in your squad, you can bring in a bodyguard or a very underused piece (but excellent in countering Mace) the Force Adept who can simply use Force Alter to cause Mace to reroll any crits he manages to roll.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:05:50 AM

I think the main reason so many people said "broken" or, in one case "borken", BigGrin was that in their first exposure to Critdu he took down something big and expensive. In one turn. My case was a Leviathan, 200 hp's poof - gone.Cursing Instant NPE.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:59:29 AM

TheHutts wrote:
7/10.

Really!?! A 5 at best IMO.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:16:29 AM

juice man wrote:
I think the main reason so many people said "broken" or, in one case "borken", BigGrin was that in their first exposure to Critdu he took down something big and expensive. In one turn. My case was a Leviathan, 200 hp's poof - gone.Cursing Instant NPE.

Agreed. Lost to Mace in the semis at the MI regional this year after I beat the Daala squad in Swiss that eventually won it. Mace came in and rolled crits on his 2 first rolls. I could have handled 1, but 2 made me barely lose the game. But I've seen it enough times to where a roll or 2 completely swings a game, and that's never fun. In the 2012 champs Trevor beat Deri when Deri riposted Mace with a full HP Corran Horn, and Mace rolled 2 crits. Trevor would have likely lost the game otherwise. Luck is always a part of SWM - but when a lucky roll or 2 creates swings that big it creates a huge NPE. It's akin to how Boba BH was in his Era.

GOWK being changed back was the bigger deal.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:21:53 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
7/10.

Really!?! A 5 at best IMO.

Not sure where he should be, but I think a 7 is too high.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:23:27 AM

Mando wrote:
I never could understand why people thought Mace, LotLS was broken. When I see him, I just see a reliable 60dmg per turn. I don't see him rolling crits, even though he has better odds of rolling one than most. But if he does roll one, good for the person using him! But in most cases, I've seen him just do 60dmg to my pieces and on the occasion a crit was rolled, it was overkill and that piece would have died in a few more hits anyways. Sure its frustrating if it happens every attack, but it really doesn't happen that way in practice. There are so many counters to him, that I find him strong, but definetly not broken. If you've got lobot in your squad, you can bring in a bodyguard or a very underused piece (but excellent in countering Mace) the Force Adept who can simply use Force Alter to cause Mace to reroll any crits he manages to roll.

Did your opponents use FPRRs to chase crits? It's actually worth it with Mace in many cases. With 5 rolls, you'll get at least one crit more than two thirds of the time.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:38:00 AM

IMO, Mace should've had Vapaad mastery or flurry. Both tends to create a really high ceiling for his play. having watched the design process it was clear that they wanted to hit a sweet spot of power to swing.

He went from double twin to GMA triple gaining and losing flurry. Designers finally decided on GMA triple and left on Flurry, i think it should have been left off.

You still get massive damage on 17+ but without the silliness of the knock on crits.

But saying that, the piece is a pretty cool rendition of Mace.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:53:28 AM

Mace, as a character, is portrayed as a BMF. (just take a look at his lightsaber)
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:58:43 AM

Would he be worth it, competitively, at 60 or so pts. without Flurry? Honest question, not trying to derail.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:14:52 AM

i think so. You have all the things he can do now except you lose the knock on crits.

without flurry, he'll often move up and do 100 dmg, sometimes 140 and occasionally 180 (that's massive for a figure with no CE's to create that). He will often hit people back for 60 dmg but you won't get the situation where he ripostes once and then does 180 damage back (which is what happened in a top 8 game at gen con).

These days if he moves up and crits he does 120 minimum (60 damage crit and a triple attack), if he gets 2 crits that's 180 dmg (2 x 60 dmg, + the triple attacks).

He also has very little use for his force other than moving faster and re-rolling and he always has a bucket load. Chasing crits, as TJ says, is a valid strategy. That's a problem when one crit effectively equals 80 dmg.

Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:35:09 AM

fingersandteeth wrote:
i think so. You have all the things he can do now except you lose the knock on crits.

without flurry, he'll often move up and do 100 dmg, sometimes 140 and occasionally 180 (that's massive for a figure with no CE's to create that). He will often hit people back for 60 dmg but you won't get the situation where he ripostes once and then does 180 damage back (which is what happened in a top 8 game at gen con).

These days if he moves up and crits he does 120 minimum (60 damage crit and a triple attack), if he gets 2 crits that's 180 dmg (2 x 60 dmg, + the triple attacks).

He also has very little use for his force other than moving faster and re-rolling and he always has a bucket load. Chasing crits, as TJ says, is a valid strategy. That's a problem when one crit effectively equals 80 dmg.

I think the math is:
Triple GMA, no crits: 60 damage.
Triple GMA, plus 1 crit for triple damage on the one attack, 60 plus another 40 for 100 damage.
Triple GMA, with 2 crits is 60 damage plus another 80 damage so 140.
Triple GMA, with all three crits is 180. (unlikely as it is it is still possible.

were as with flurry:
Triple GMA, with one crit is 100 with the chance to likely do 120.
Triple GMA with 2 crits is 140 with the very good chance of doing 180, plus 2 more chances of hitting crits.
ect.
Deathwielded
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:44:29 AM

I think the OR captain is closer to a 6.
I have tried several builds with him and Squad Assault is really hard to trigger, mainly he gets used for the defense boost.
With the Arkanian Jedi General I think he may possible be a 7, but outside of that he is a 6 IMO.

Personally I like Mace and I definitely think he is worth his cost like no other 65 point and above characters are. unless you count the BHC pieces pretty much everything over 65 is pretty much not competitive (Malgus may be another exception though I personally don't think so)
I wouldn't cost him higher or lower.

I like his Flurry and Vaapad on him, feels like he plays very much like I would expect him to. I think Vaapad Mastery granting triple damage is alittle crazy, if it was just double damage I could see him a little more balanced.
But I think it was a natural progression. I think what Juyo Mastery does should have been what Vaapad mastery should have been.
Higher chance to crit with a 50/50 chance to flurry, but then Mace wouldn't be ah huge a threat.

Flavorwise I think he is a spot on 10/10.
Absorb, Riposte, Mobile are perfect representations of the character.

I say 10/10 in today's game is a good choice.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:01:48 PM

I'd still give Mace his 11. Force Absorb is the one that puts him over the top. No Riposte, no Defense, and you can't even run up and Assault him.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:48:31 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:

In hindsight, I think he'd be a bit more balanced if he could only flurry on his turn (and maybe only once per turn). Doing a massive stack of damage on a riposte arguably is his most problematic area.

Also, I've taken the Old Republic Captain down to a 6. I was thinking low 7, so I'm fine with a 6. With a few tweaks - rangeless CE, that thing where all allies count as having the same name for squad abilities - he'd actually be a really worthwhile piece for the OR, I reckon. Although if you want to boost non-uniques in the Old Republic, the Arkanaian Jedi General is probably the first place to go.